McDonalds releases affordable VR headset.

1235»

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Houston, TXMember EpicPosts: 15,172

psypoison said:
    no one knew about google cardboard?
    I bet i could go to my local mall and ask people about google cardboard and 90% ( pure guess ) are not going to know about it at all.

This brings VR to the masses in a very simple format, people will stumble onto it by accident when they get their child a happy meal, they'll have a quick glance to make sure It's safe for their child to use, and then realize "Hey! this is kind of cool!" and maybe spread the word, or even purchase a more expensive VR solution now that they've had their first taste.

I honestly hope this goes worldwide, It's very clever marketing.

As much as we'd like to think so, not everyone is on their computer daily reading about the latest in gaming / tech news.
    I think those same people would think that the graphics power of a Galaxy Note 5 is the same as a GTX980....ha! actually to be fair they wouldnt know what a GTX980 is

Do NOT respond to this reply if you think the contents of the reply is unwarranted in this discussion. 

On replying to the content of this reply you are participating in the discussion of its contents

Current Ignore List: postlarval, cameltosis, VengeSunsoar

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Elmira, ONMember EpicPosts: 5,744
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    psypoison said:
    oculus and McDonalds headset are in basic same but oculus is way more high tec and was billed from ground up to do what mcDonalds and google cardboard needs phone to do
    this!

this is what the threads reads as the understanding of many people here, which is the REAL joke

and I am sooooooo going to run with it. VR critics think this...that is what I am going with

Well, I can tell you that I work in the the display technologies industry and we do everything from VR to immersive environments to simulation, and this REALLY isn't that far off. The basic principles are the same. The primary difference is the optical hardware. Obviously you're not going to get high quality lenses through McDonald's. You're probably going to get some sort of cheap polymer lens instead. HOWEVER!!!! It's quite possible to create extremely inexpensive, reasonable-quality polymer lenses. It in no way measures up to something like a VR headset. However, you didn't go to McDonald's to buy a VR Headset, you went there to buy a Happy Meal. So the optical quality is VERY trivial, so they can probably go super cheap and approach an acceptable level of quality, since they don't need to worry about longevity. 

Even if we compare it to, say, the GearVR headset. So do you REALLY believe that the optical hardware you get in the GearVR is substantial when you pay, what, $100 for it at BestBuy? That's likely been through some distribution chains, marked up along the way, including the pricing of the headset itself, so what's the price of a lens in the Samsung GearVR? From the manufacturer? We're talking about mass-produced, low-cost hardware (even in the Oculus Rift). So, in the end, a child probably gives fewer shits about quality than anyone else in the market. Even at that, I'd be VERY surprised if the majority of the population noticed a significant difference between the two (not having seen the McDonald's VR at all), based on what I have witnessed with consumer televisions and quality. 
    like I said.

I am going with 'critics of VR think that the Cardboard headset and an Oculus Headset are basically the same and will give you basically the same experience'

thanks

I'm not sure whether to take that as you labelling me as a critic or whether you're saying that the over simplification of the comparison presents a problem to people who aren't knowledgeable in the technology. That being, "Why would I pay $100 for this when I could just buy a happy meal" I'm not debating the viability of a VR headset versus a cardboard box. I, actually, expressly mentioned that there are distinct advantages to it. There's also distinct advantages to having dedicated hardware versus adapting your phone to project the image. 

So explain to me how you would explain to a 3 year-old what the difference is between dedicated VR hardware and the McDonald's box. Why can your son crush up the box and throw it away, but you get so pissed when he drops your VR headset? 

I mean if we wanted to get into serious technical discussions about virtual environments, I could probably give you a length list of areas where VR is simply inappropriate because the technology isn't good enough yet. There's actually a great article I came across which looks at it from the developer perspective, too. So I mean it isn't that cut and dry, really. 

However, TLDR, yes, you're right the technology is better in Rift than in a McDonald's Happy Meal. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• laseritlaserit Vancouver, BCMember EpicPosts: 4,840
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    psypoison said:
    oculus and McDonalds headset are in basic same but oculus is way more high tec and was billed from ground up to do what mcDonalds and google cardboard needs phone to do
    this!

this is what the threads reads as the understanding of many people here, which is the REAL joke

and I am sooooooo going to run with it. VR critics think this...that is what I am going with

Well, I can tell you that I work in the the display technologies industry and we do everything from VR to immersive environments to simulation, and this REALLY isn't that far off. The basic principles are the same. The primary difference is the optical hardware. Obviously you're not going to get high quality lenses through McDonald's. You're probably going to get some sort of cheap polymer lens instead. HOWEVER!!!! It's quite possible to create extremely inexpensive, reasonable-quality polymer lenses. It in no way measures up to something like a VR headset. However, you didn't go to McDonald's to buy a VR Headset, you went there to buy a Happy Meal. So the optical quality is VERY trivial, so they can probably go super cheap and approach an acceptable level of quality, since they don't need to worry about longevity. 

Even if we compare it to, say, the GearVR headset. So do you REALLY believe that the optical hardware you get in the GearVR is substantial when you pay, what, $100 for it at BestBuy? That's likely been through some distribution chains, marked up along the way, including the pricing of the headset itself, so what's the price of a lens in the Samsung GearVR? From the manufacturer? We're talking about mass-produced, low-cost hardware (even in the Oculus Rift). So, in the end, a child probably gives fewer shits about quality than anyone else in the market. Even at that, I'd be VERY surprised if the majority of the population noticed a significant difference between the two (not having seen the McDonald's VR at all), based on what I have witnessed with consumer televisions and quality. 
    like I said.

I am going with 'critics of VR think that the Cardboard headset and an Oculus Headset are basically the same and will give you basically the same experience'

thanks
    They do the same thing the same way as in follow the same principle.

The quality of the experience is what's different.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Houston, TXMember EpicPosts: 15,172
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    psypoison said:
    this!

like I said.

thanks

So explain to me how you would explain to a 3 year-old what the difference is between dedicated VR hardware and the McDonald's box. 
    I think my answer to this question should solve everything in your post.

I would let them experience both.

as I said many here are suggesting the experience of a Cardboard is going to be the same as the experience as an Oculus headset and I am going with it. If you feel you are not one of those people then fine do not include yourself in my abstractly speaking 'list'

Do NOT respond to this reply if you think the contents of the reply is unwarranted in this discussion. 

On replying to the content of this reply you are participating in the discussion of its contents

Current Ignore List: postlarval, cameltosis, VengeSunsoar