Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The scary phrase: Change from Alpha/Beta/Release

I'm having a little difficulty grasping this. From concept to release, games -- just like any other art form -- change. Even MMORPG's that are already released go through significant changes to rulesets, and even graphics.

Is this really a bad thing? And why is it so... Scary?

Comments

• BluelinerBlueliner Member UncommonPosts: 158

Because the changes are almost always negative. When devs change a game its normally to "dumb down" the game in order to reach a larger player base, OR, because the publisher demands the product get released to make money and they have to cut features.

• SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    Negative or positive. Most changes that people complain about while definitely post-release changes can at times be a little on the unreasonable side, not all, but most.

The changes that I don't understand complaints about are the ones for instances between an alpha and beta phase of a games development, or even a beta to release change. They're bound to happen. And as I've mentioned with "art form" most developers and designers are more interested in their artistic vision before the feedback from playerbases -- especially in a development phase.

Post release changes haven't always been "dumbing down" but I will agree that most are, and I kind of agree with the typical reason why: new content is coming, the artist is going to be more interested in people seeing their latest and "greatest." The old has come and gone from their perspective.
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Not a bad thing, not scary at all and the reasons why developers do this are perfectly understandable.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• BigRamboBigRambo Member UncommonPosts: 191
    It's simple, at least for me, if a MMORPG in so called "alpha" or "beta" has a fully functional cash shop, then I black list it.  Now, while I may be smart enough to not bother with such games, you got other people on the other hand that aren't as smart, they play the game and then head on to forums to cry and moan about the game while still playing it.  For me, "Alpha" "Beta" have absolutely no meaning what so ever in today's era of MMORPG gaming,  I fail to understand why people are so "HYPED" about a game 20% in to the production line and already passing judgement.  But then again, DEVS aren't helping their cause when they announce a game 5-8 years in advance and still asks for cash support,  I won't name any games but we pretty much all know what I'm trying to write here. So in the end, "HYPE" is waaaaaaaay OVERRATED in today's MMORPG gaming era.  ;)

P.S.: You won't see me with a boner for any of these so called "MMO's" releasing 'til 2020.  The only game that has really gotten my attention at the moment is Lost Ark.  The rest of the releases is a coin flip, they all look a like, so pick your poison.  ;)
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    If you're not paying attention to a game before release, what happens in that phase isn't scary in the slightest.

A lot of compromises are "we'd like to do X, but we can't, so we'll do the best we can".  A decent but hardly great game that you can play is more useful than a great game that will never exist.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Change isn't always positive. 

Thats why it is scary. 

In MMOs specifically, changes during development usually equates to removal of features or dumbing down of features which is an entirely negative experience. Changes after release tend to be adding new, unproven features or changing existing features. Presumably if you're playing a game, you are enjoying it already so any changes threaten that enjoyment. 

Of course, change is inevitable so its all about being able to deal with the change. In a wider market, changes like this wouldn't be a problem as you can just quit and relatively easily find a new game. However, the MMO market is relatively small.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Ogg fear change. Change nerf Ogg. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests