Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this basically a PvP game?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
I've seen mentioned in some other threads that this game is basically a PvP game at endgame, with just enough PvE content to level you to that point.  Is that true?  Also, is there non-consensual, open world PvP across all the maps?

Thanks!

Comments

• DemicusDemicus Member UncommonPosts: 8
    There is non-consensual PvP, however players are heavily penalized for doing so if they do it to often. (they can become visible on map and people and kill them for no penalty)

There is plenty of end game PvE, of which the most interesting thing I'm looking for is Whale Hunting :D
  • DemicusDemicus Member UncommonPosts: 8
    @MightyUnclean of course
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    edited February 2016
    Due to some miss information this post has been edited.

I'll give you a honest opinion and yes I bought the game and have deep research in the mechanics because it is very intriguing. I am going to cover some things which is more like advice and how to avoid PvP if you want or engage in PvP if you want.

The game is basically at its core PvP with arena, guild versus guild, and sieges being it's core game play at high levels.

The PvP doesn't kick in until you reach 45 (verified) however there is an exception which I will cover later. To PvP and advance you have to do a quest given to you at 44 from your advisor called black spirit. If you accept this quest (more or less accept PvP) then you will be able to advance to level 45 and beyond as PvP enabled. If you decline you are locked at  44. (edited for clarity)

NOTE: The release is 45 (verified)

Advise:

If you do not want to ever be killed by another player or just despise PvP then never accept the quest or join a guild. Plain and simple.

To help you decide to PvP keep reading.

If you accept PvP be aware that you will always be attackable except in a safe zone and the game has very few safe zones outside a city. Guilds can occupy any city and set rules for NPCs (not sure how this works yet still researching it.)

PvP flagging 1 v 1 is basically a duel request with possible others getting involved. You do NOT have to accept by flagging up or attacking (which auto flags you) for the attacker to attack.

Keynote here: Make sure you can escape if you do not want to engage. If you do not engage you will lose experience always 1% which late game can be BIG problem since to get from 55 to 60 right now would take close to 700 hours of mob grinding. If there is a mob close and attacking you will not lose any experience from the mob killing you so the anti-griefing buff kicks in at the moment the attacker attacks you. However note here is you still lose experience in PvP death always so griefing in PvP is going to be a bit of a problem. (verified after many pages of searching)

If you do engage and lose you will lose experience again and depending on your level of karma lose other stats, gear damage and enchantments. If you win the attacker loses experience and death penalty.

If you are the attacker then you lose karma for attacking while the victim did not flag and if you die you will have the death penalty. If you win you will take a large karma hit.

Does karma matter?

Not really. Can be worked off rather fast.

If you are PvE player do NOT join a guild! Stay with clans (smaller than guilds) or solo reason is the GvG is one of the biggest end game OW things this game is designed for. The guild thinking they are PvE and can decline wars are in for MAJOR and RUDE awaking. Guilds declaring on other guilds can attack and kill all pvp flagged player (50+)  without consequence or karma loss.

If the PvE guild accepts the war thinking they can win, then all members of the guild are attackable regardless of level without consequence or karma loss.

Still not verified - To create a guild requires you to be at 45.

hope that helps you decide.

Fixed experience loss for victim  in PvP death is always applied wheather you fight or not.
    Post edited by ArChWind on
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Yes and no.

There are many forms of PVP including OW PVP, but players are expected to do a lot of PVE grinding to continue to upgrade their characters as this game has a lot of RNG gear upgrading. People will be fighting over PVE grinding spots along with the GvG stuff to fight over POI. So you must do one for the other.

All PVP is consensual in these games. Someone installing, logging in, and believing they won't be killed are foolish and should stay away. It is part of the overall experience, but there are ways to either avoid it to some degree or seek it out.
    edited February 2016
    Allein said:

Someone installing, logging in, and believing they won't be killed are foolish and should stay away.
    Actually, you can play the game forever without ever getting killed by another player. Just don't do the quest at 49...

level 45 in new notes just released.

Just make sure to NEVER join a guild period.

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654

basicly the open pvp is none excistent.. because you cant attack ( well you can ) random people.. but the punishement is retarded high.. so its not worth it to attack random people.

What pvp means in bdo?

Node wars ( 1 or 2 a week)
    Castle wars (1 or 2 a week)

you can wardeck clans which takes away the punishement of pvp. ( this is your sort of open world pvp)

i played bdo from launch till now in korean.. there are many koreans that think the pvp in bdo is broken.. and many left to the above problems.

Summurary:
    BDO has pvp yes.. but its not a pvp game.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

basicly the open pvp is none excistent.. because you cant attack ( well you can ) random people.. but the punishement is retarded high.. so its not worth it to attack random people.

As it should be in a sandbox game which is not just about killing each other.
    lol, what sandbox game are you talking about? 
    Nanfoodle said:

why BDO of course. this is the first one to allow such a thing. :grin: 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Nanfoodle said:

People can't agree to what "sandbox" means so it very well might be considered a Sandbox game to some people.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:

People can't agree to what "sandbox" means so it very well might be considered a Sandbox game to some people.
    What at all in this game is sandbox? Do the players have any input into the world at all? From what I have read, housing in instanced. Crafting is solo experience. Questing/story is linear. Does PvP even change the game from server to server?
  • BlurBlehBlurBleh Member UncommonPosts: 162
    There is no ultimate goal in this game. You are free to do whatever you want whenever you want. If you do not enjoy PvP there are still plenty of things to do at higher levels (although some may consider them to be uninteresting). That being said, a great portion of character progression in the game is about enhancing your gears for PvP. So if PvP isn't a priority for you then you won't feel much urgency in your character progression which in turn will make the game seem slower paced and less meaningful. In the end it's still a matter of personal preferences. To some the end game would seem lacking and monotonous, to others BDO offers plenty of little things to keep them occupied.
  • WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376
    edited February 2016
    I've seen mentioned in some other threads that this game is basically a PvP game at endgame, with just enough PvE content to level you to that point.  Is that true?  Also, is there non-consensual, open world PvP across all the maps?

Thanks!
    Short answer
    'I've seen mentioned in some other threads that this game is basically a PvP game at endgame, with just enough PvE content to level you to that point.  Is that true?"--YES

"Also, is there non-consensual, open world PvP across all the maps?"--YES

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Nanfoodle said:
    Sovrath said:

What at all in this game is sandbox? Do the players have any input into the world at all? From what I have read, housing in instanced. Crafting is solo experience. Questing/story is linear. Does PvP even change the game from server to server?
    So yeah, people can't agree what "sandbox" means. All you've done is put in your definition.

I'm not saying that this game "is" a Sandbox or not but if you put forth your definition and it's not someone else's then we are back to what I said.

Incidentally, I don't really agree with your definition.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    edited February 2016
    it is basically darkfall ver 1 but with shinier graphics and even less to do in game and more grievers due to the previous part. 
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    The "endgame" is centered around PVP, PVE endgame content is non-existent.
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Wylf said:

Thanks!
    Short answer
    'I've seen mentioned in some other threads that this game is basically a PvP game at endgame, with just enough PvE content to level you to that point.  Is that true?"--YES

"Also, is there non-consensual, open world PvP across all the maps?"--YES

Requoting for visibility and truth. This isn't a complicated question folks.
    Waterlily said:
    Yet people will spend more time doing PVE than PVP...

Allein said:

Someone installing, logging in, and believing they won't be killed are foolish and should stay away.
    Actually, you can play the game forever without ever getting killed by another player. Just don't do the quest at 49...
    Not sure I'd call that "playing" the game, but to each their own.

Off to start up CS:GO and sit at the server select screen. No one is killing me today!
  • BenjolaBenjola Member UncommonPosts: 843
    edited February 2016
    Aww wannabe 'open world' with multiple server instances + instanced housing, dev controlled economy and restricted crafting, no trading and restricted everything really, is called sandbox nowadays?
    Rly?
    ROFL

I care about your gaming 'problems' and teenage anxieties, just not today.

edited February 2016
    Waterlily said:
    NM

edited February 2016
    Allein said:
    Allein said:

Not sure I'd call that "playing" the game, but to each their own.

Off to start up CS:GO and sit at the server select screen. No one is killing me today!
    Stupid analogy. CS:GO is all about PvP. This game is not.
    One could make a commercial empire in BDO without ever engaging PvP.
    What would be the purpose of a commercial empire in BDO if PVP isn't involved? Silver for silver's sake?

Also not sure how you'll have an "empire" without controlling nodes/towns and what not. Your personal bank account = empire? #1 Cash in bank!

Without player trade, you are playing against the game, not that exciting to me.

I have no doubt that some will just fish 24/7 until the end of time to be Rank 1, that's fine, but they are removing themselves from the full experience and choosing to play their own mini-game, not THE game. Which people do. I knew someone in TF2 that openly said he only played the game because he liked collected/buying all the cosmetics and would sit in spawn or just run around not fighting, funny but strange to me.

As there aren't any traditional "raids" or PVE content and the AI is terrible, not sure why someone would lvl past 50 if not to engage in some sort of PVP. Upgrading your character just to farm more mindless mobs? Again, I'm sure there will be folks that want to do that, but seems like a poor choice of game to do so.

People are free to play however they want, but saying "Well you could technically sit at lvl 1 in town and use the game as a chat" doesn't mean much to me.

Benjola said:
    Aww wannabe 'open world' with multiple server instances + instanced housing, dev controlled economy and restricted crafting, no trading and restricted everything really, is called sandbox nowadays?
    Rly?
    ROFL
    Whatever it is called, you seem to be stuck all over it.
  • DeadmanSinisterDeadmanSinister Member UncommonPosts: 6
    @MightyUnclean , you will find a niche in this game, but it will take time.  There is an abundance of content to keep you immersed and help level and such, and that doesn't end at 50.  There are plenty of PVE objectives in the game (daily quests, crafting, gathering, mount taming and breeding, trading between towns, fishing, the list goes on and on).  I have been above 50 for a little bit now and I can honestly say, I have yet to run out of things to do.  So my answer to you would be no, this is not just a PVP endgame, its a PVX type endgame.
  • DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    edited March 2016
    There is no endgame,  if you want to GvG, you can.  If you want to do  PvE, you can.  If you want to start a trade empire, or be a fisherman, or hunt whales, or breed horses... You can.  In the end, everything is just a means of making silver. 

The open world PvP is non consensual, but the non consensual bit is extremely punishing to the agressive party; and completely harmless to the victim.  It's few and far between to see players doing it... Most players will utilize guilds wars for their open world PvP fix. 
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    edited March 2016
    Also important to note that the 'non-consenual' PvP doesn't start until level 45. I've been taking my time in this game, and I gotta say i've been enthralled in the PvE. I've barely even focused on leveling at all, and already invested over 20 hours into the game. Really a lot of fun.
    Post edited by mcrippins on