Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PSA: Make Alts in BDO - You are only hurting yourself if you do not have them

ArchaegeoArchaegeo Member UncommonPosts: 233
Something I discovered late in CBT2 is that there is ZERO reason not to make alts, in fact there are very good reasons to make them.

Alts share most everything with your main, including the Energy Cap point, but they have a separate energy pool.  This means your alts can be doing lots of things to support your main so he can save his energy for the things you want to focus him on.

Alts share your node connections, your contribution points, your pets, your mounts, etc. 

The only things I found so far that are separate is their level, personal inventory, their energy level (but cap is highest amoung all), and their crafting (Life skills) levels.

They also level up SUPER fast, like under 15 min to 10.  So you can get them where they need to be stationed.

Just wanted to point it out because I found out "late" their benefits.

Am I missing any?

Explorer 73% Achiever 53% Socializer 53% Killer 20%

Comments

• DrWookieDrWookie Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Just to further elaborate:

1. Leave an alt in your house to be your permanent cook (particularly good also for them to craft/hold all your beer so when workers are exhausted you can just switch to them and feed them)
    2. Leave an alt in the library in Calpheon to allow for instant knowledge reset (the knowledge level you get for fighting mobs is random, and if you want a higher level you have to spend energy to reset it and then try again. This way you don't have to go back and forth)

Trying to remember other specific ideas.
  • ArchaegeoArchaegeo Member UncommonPosts: 233
    DrWookie said:

1. Leave an alt in your house to be your permanent cook (particularly good also for them to craft/hold all your beer so when workers are exhausted you can just switch to them and feed them)
    2. Leave an alt in the library in Calpheon to allow for instant knowledge reset (the knowledge level you get for fighting mobs is random, and if you want a higher level you have to spend energy to reset it and then try again. This way you don't have to go back and forth)

Oooh, excellent thoughts and uses for an alt, didn't even think of making one my cook so my main doesn't have to do it.

Any other good Alt uses?

• KhaoslightKhaoslight Member UncommonPosts: 36
    DrWookie said:

Yea, I found out about this through a tip/tricks guide but too late as well. Interesting that your alts share so much with your main. Most games, I just used them as pack rats.
    Yeah, that's almost a drawback is they aren't as good as packrats because they share your warehouse space, but of course having one in each main town lets you use all 3 warehouses better.

• donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    It's a good idea to park an alt in the city to reset knowledge on mobs once you get a character to high level. You can park an alt at your farms to harvest and replant things. You park alts at favorable fishing spots to quickly switch to when you are going to go afk for awhile. You can use the energy on your alts to upgrade nodes as well. If you like playing many different characters, this game makes it very easy to do. 
    Yeah, it doesn't feel like the alts are about levelling them up or playing another class at all, they are just "family" members who have jobs that help the family grow.

1. From the reddit thread I made, there was a nice summary by RegnorVex:

Offline energy regeneration is 1 per 30 minutes.
    2. Online energy regeneration is 1 per 3 minutes, unless you lay in a bed in a residence while online, in which case it is 1 per minute.

3. A character has to be level 4 to use the quick character switch interface to avoid logging-out/logging-in.

4. The alts can be different classes or the same class

5. All characters in one account share the same max cap for energy and Contribution points.

6. All characters share the same current and max values for contribution points. If your main is 5/50, then all of your alts will also be 5/50.

7. Each character has its own independent current energy value, and share the same max cap. So you could have your main with 4/60, and alts with 0/60, 60/60, and any other value of x/60. But all would share a max cap of 60.

8. There is a quick switch interface that allows you to switch from one character to an alt, bypassing the logout/login sequence, but it only works with characters level 4 or higher.

9. All characters on the account share the same map and quest history, other than the tutorial quest, which is individual to each character.

10. All characters on the same account share mounts, pets, vehicles, nodes, houses, and all warehouses.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Its one of the few games where having alts is beneficial... 

In this game you dont play a character, but you play a fammily of characters.

alts are also perfect for opening up new parts of the map 

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    wow thanks for the tips, I was gonna get the 49$ but might as well get the 99$ now just for the extra slots now that I see incentive

are backpack slot unlocks account wide?
    edited February 2016
    No, inventory unlocks are per character unfortunately but there are like 31 you can get through quests.

Oh, and for those complaining about needed to have alts, it takes no time.  You make it, level it up to 4 (making it will take longer than getting to 4) and then park it where you want it and let it start accumulating energy.

• puleva4everpuleva4ever Member CommonPosts: 1
    If you said nodes share, does the lvl they are with the main char share too? How about if you invest energy in a node/town with your alts, does it mean that you can lvl up nodes/towns at x4 or x5 speed?
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Alts keep me playing the same game longer so this is good news, Thanks.

Another thing to keep in mind is that when you are ready to level your alts, they fly through a lot of the quests that require you to get knowledge, because knowledge is shared across family.