Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Epocylipse: The Afterfall - New Open World RPG Announced -

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageEpocylipse: The Afterfall - New Open World RPG Announced -

Razor Edge Games has announced what it believes is a break away RPG in Epocylipse the Afterfall. The game is considered a non-linear, open world, procedurally generated game that challenges the typical RPG stereotype of "kill everything you see". Apocylipse features 100+ hours of game play, a customizable rule set, character aging and much more.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Post-Apoc Shadowrun Chronicles?

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    DMKano said:
    Dystopian future.

When will this trend end?
    Probably never

We love that shit. A big chunk of society believes we are living it.

How many believe we as a species have a brighter future? 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• jbladderjbladder Member UncommonPosts: 36

DMKano said:

Dystopian future.

When people stop buying. Pretty much how every trend in consumer products ends with exceptions of course. Either it goes on forever evolving along the way or it ends with sales plummeting as the consumer loses interest in massive numbers.

People still for whatever reason still want this. Then again novels, stories and movies about this subject have been around a very long time. Even back into mythology this type of story exists to some extent. So my guess would be that it is gonna be a while still.
  • RhygarthRhygarth Member UncommonPosts: 259
    edited February 2016
    if its just another single player RPG you can keep it thanks, beating a computer at a game is so dam boring. i cant even be botherd to finish fallout 4 its just to boring. unless they make some super story line i will pass thanks
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

DMKano said:

Dystopian future.

I find this post hilarious considering it's made on a forum for a genre where 90% of the games that release, feature the same generic, orcs elves and dwarves we've seen since D&D became a thing...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ICEBLUEICEBLUE Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Nope not another single player only game.
    Multiple players can be active at the same time, or easily jump back to single, best to read their website http://razoredgegames.com/epocylipsetheafterfall/

Rhygarth said:

if its just another single player RPG you can keep it thanks, beating a computer at a game is so dam boring.

i cant even be botherd to finish fallout 4 its just to boring.

unless they make some super story line i will pass thanks

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited February 2016
    DMKano said:
    Distopia said:

DMKano said:

Dystopian future.

I find this post hilarious considering it's made on a forum for a genre where 90% of the games that release, feature the same generic, orcs elves and dwarves we've seen since D&D became a thing...

90% generic? I think your math is a bit off.
    I meant generic in the sense of lacking originality. Yet on second thought I don't think 90% was far off in terms of generic releases :).

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    I hope the camera view of the game lives up to that concept art.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

DMKano said:

Dystopian future.

When it happens to the real world

DMKano said:

Dystopian future.

do you mean the rest of the world? There is a sizable human population living this way right now. If you tack the third world and North Korea together that is a fairly large number of people. Most of them live in what the classic definition of dystopia is.

Merriam-Webster likes this definition:

an imaginary place where people are unhappy and usually afraid because they are not treated fairly

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dystopia

I like it to...

why do people always ignore the third world. Poverty is actually down a lot overall but good lord do a large number of people get treated like dung.

jbladder said:

DMKano said:

Dystopian future.

do you mean the rest of the world? There is a sizable human population living this way right now. If you tack the third world and North Korea together that is a fairly large number of people. Most of them live in what the classic definition of dystopia is.

Merriam-Webster likes this definition:

an imaginary place where people are unhappy and usually afraid because they are not treated fairly

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dystopia

I like it to...

why do people always ignore the third world. Poverty is actually down a lot overall but good lord do a large number of people get treated like dung.

why did you make me go all dictionary. video games bring out the best worst me sometimes.
  • Nayr752Nayr752 Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Sounds great, can't wait to see some pictures and videos of the game. Hopefully we will see some soon.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Went to the site and checked it out.  If this game comes out looking anything like the concept art, then strap me and take me for a ride.  

The music sounded pretty good.  I liked the sorta 80's throwback vibe to some of the tunes.  The voice acting clips.. ehhh.  Ok so a couple of them sounded Ok, but I hope this isn't representative of the overall voice acting quality.

"The story so far" page though...  get an editor ASAP.  That's some very high school level story writing right there.  My undergraduate degree is in English Literature and my focus was in creative writing.  I've read thousands of other student's stories, critiqued many and had mine torn apart and put back together by my professors.

Let me demonstrate with just one sentence from their page:

"Long ago, 60 years or so was when the world was more open to explore and people could travel freely from place to place without worry of being ambushed or even dangerous toxic plants."

It was either "long ago" which is an undefined time range that is purposefully nebulous, or it's about 60 years ago.  It's not both.  Cut one or the other.

Are ambushes and toxic plants the only two things that people have to worry about when traveling in this world?  If not, then cut that out of the sentence and simply present the world as dangerous to travel.  Use the next sentence to provide such examples.

How I would have  written it:

Long ago, the world was wide open, free, and travel from one settlement to another was accomplished in relative safety.  Travelers didn't have to contend with the harshness of the environment like we do.  There were no ambushes by hideous sludge raiders, no toxic plants snapping people up by their ankles and dragging them into open fleshy maws, and no fear of blinding sandstorms that can strip the flesh off of a mans bones.  That time is over.
  • coyote_trickscoyote_tricks Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Its nice to see A game go back to the old school RPG table top style I've read with this game you can play the PC version or print off the rules and play the traditional table top game were you can role play better (<- just my opinion), I mean even D&D gave up on that and changed their game making it more of a mmorpg then a role playing game, thus making Pathfinder the new and preferred D&D.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

DMKano said:

Dystopian future.

What other setting would you prefer instead?
    The present reality?

• KrightonKrighton Member UncommonPosts: 111
    If this is an MMO will real MMO features, (leveling, gear, crafting etc) then it will succeed. Otherwise, don't bother releasing this crap. You see how well RAGE did? Regardless of how gorgeous a game is, if you're too lazy to make a great game, don't make one.