Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Popularity

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    sanshi44 said:
    You want to know why people prefer Lineage over any different game in Korea? It's because people who still play Lineage are probably level 80+ and they refuse to drop the 20 years of work that they've put into the game. But that's from korean society. Lineage is the korean equivalent to american World of Warcraft. 
    Yep pretty much why WoW clones failed why start again in a different world if the game is pretty much the exact same. Seems dev relised that now atleast, thanks god
    Interesting perspective, so why ever play another elder scrolls game, or most approaches to open world game-play?  In the end it's all the same thing minus a few tweaks to story, presentation or combat. You could say this about any type of game really. As on the surface all games belonging to a certain genre usually use similar systems, similar themes, etc..

If they've realized anything it's that the demographic is a wasted effort to cater to because they expect every new game to do something radically different in terms of game-play. Pretty much the only demographic I know of that posts such things on a regular basis.

Shooters have been doing the same things for decades, RTS has, single player RPG's have, just about every genre has (since long before the MMORPG was a thought in someones mind), sports games haven't changed much at all since the 2d era.  Madden in the basic sense is the same game now as Tecmo super bowl was then... Formulas rarely change in game development, at most you can expect hybridization from other genres... 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780
    I can't wait. I played df1 from start till server shut down. Then AA, so can't wait for BDO!

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    edited February 2016
    Kiyoris said:
    It's not a popular game in Korea, it is number 35 and dropping.

solo grind and no endgame

http://www.gamenote.com/rank_ongame/index.php?search_mode=weekly&genre=MMORPG

Ranking in this case does not means it's unpopular, but only that 33 MMO are more popular. Being on the 34th spot, could still mean 1.000.000 players (Considering it is a country of +/- 50.000.000). In Western standards this would be considerd a lot and popular. 
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Robokapp said:

Being on the 34th spot, could still mean 1.000.000 players (Considering it is a country of +/- 50.000.000). 
    My god, man.

This implies at least 25million out of these 50 million play MMOs. (assuming a few million play multiple MMOs in the list). 

I think 100,000 is more realistic as a number. I doubt 50% of the country plays MMOs. 

Really wouldn't count it out if you do your research on the country. Not saying any of these numbers are positive as we don't have raw data but having the majority of the country playing MMOs isn't too far fetched for the east compared to the stigmas we still have in the west.
  • tet666tet666 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    edited February 2016
    Don't bother ppl just don't want to see the signs, they are desperate for a different game and want to believe it would succeed.
    It failed in 3 other Regions allrdy! not only Korea Russia and Japan as well the ppl there didn't even have to pay for it and they still didn't want it.
    In a few days after release the whining will begin and the mass exodus a short while after that.

tet666 said:
    Don't bother ppl just don't want to see the signs, they are desperate for a different game.
    It failed in 3 other Regions allrdy! not only Korea Russia and Japan as well.
    In a few days after release the whining will begin and the mass exodus a a short while after that.

Epicaricacy at it's finest.

Thing is we don't know how it will do in the west, it actually might do very well if Daum has taken the time to try and understand the west / how to implement the game. Either way, money is meant to be spent. What people do with their money is up to them.

Robokapp said:
    Heretique said:
    Robokapp said:

Being on the 34th spot, could still mean 1.000.000 players (Considering it is a country of +/- 50.000.000). 
    My god, man.

This implies at least 25million out of these 50 million play MMOs. (assuming a few million play multiple MMOs in the list). 

I think 100,000 is more realistic as a number. I doubt 50% of the country plays MMOs. 

Really wouldn't count it out if you do your research on the country. Not saying any of these numbers are positive as we don't have raw data but having the majority of the country playing MMOs isn't too far fetched for the east compared to the stigmas we still have in the west.
    Someone has to play starcraft...
    Checkmate.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Heretique said:

Thing is we don't know how it will do in the west, it actually might do very well if Daum has taken the time to try and understand the west / how to implement the game. ....

Yup, Daum definitely took some time to "understand the west".

Firstly, they've promised not to have any P2W items in the BDO Cash Shop at launch ! No promises about what will happen later, or even how long "later" may be...

Secondly, they made the NA/EU version B2P. Eeverywhere else in the world it's F2P apparently...

Thirdly, they also added a unique feature to the game specially for western gamers !
    In the NA/EU release of BDO, players will have to play with a capped "energy" resource. However, as a service to players, Daum added an item to the Cash Shop that will improve the regen rate of that resource... :D 
    edited February 2016
    Heretique said:
    tet666 said:
    Don't bother ppl just don't want to see the signs, they are desperate for a different game.
    It failed in 3 other Regions allrdy! not only Korea Russia and Japan as well.
    In a few days after release the whining will begin and the mass exodus a a short while after that.

Epicaricacy at it's finest.

Thing is we don't know how it will do in the west, it actually might do very well if Daum has taken the time to try and understand the west / how to implement the game. Either way, money is meant to be spent. What people do with their money is up to them.

C'mon you can't be serious we are talking about a Asian mobile gaming conglomerate here and they allrdy did it 3 times just with this game.....
    Ofc they will tell you everything you want to hear now before release they still need you to buy the game.
    Post edited by tet666 on
  • KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Daxamar said:
    Its fun, but the end game is PvP. Not a themepark. No dungeons, open world bosses. Its not for everyone, but it has potential to be a good game here.

You dont quest for xp, you grind. Its a KR game after all. That throws off a lot of the West.

You qeast for other things like inv slots, and skill points.Not XP.

No player trading, so you cant get geared up by a friend, or your friendly gold seller. You do a lot on your own. Forge your own destiny!
    Yeah, I think what throws off the Westerners a lot about this game, is that it's not about the  "end game" or grinding out levels.  It's about doing whatever you want in the world and they just threw levels in there as a side thing to do.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    tet666 said:
    C'mon you can't be serious we are talking about a Asian mobile gaming conglomerate here and they allrdy did it 3 times just with this game.....
    Ofc they will tell you everything you want to hear now before release they still need you to buy the game.

Meh, who cares. Just let people play their bloody game, if we all took this stance we'd have about a handful of games to play, very few game studios have stellar records..

My line of thinking is, if I get 1 hour for each £ spent on the cost of entry then I'm doing alright, if I get 2:1 then I'm doing great, anything more than that - even better. If it then goes tits up and P2W becomes a major factor then I've already my monies worth and I can bow out gracefully.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Sovrath said:
    goboygo said:
    I wish Lineage was still up here in the West. I VPN sometimes to play with my brother in Seoul

That was one of the worst games I have ever played, seriously, I just don't get that one.   Everyone ran like they had Scoliosis.

It may be why I'm so Leary of Korean MMO's.  I still haven't played one that I like.  Here's hoping BD changes that.

you're thinking of lineage 2.

Lineage 2 is still in the west.

This is Lineage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhBBwHkwbvk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRnJ5gAEZPI

I think your right it was Lineage 2, I wouldn't bother IP switching to play a game.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Heretique said:

Thing is we don't know how it will do in the west, it actually might do very well if Daum has taken the time to try and understand the west / how to implement the game. ....

Secondly, they made the NA/EU version B2P. Eeverywhere else in the world it's F2P apparently...

Which is a damn smart move. You might not approve, but the majority of NA/EU players seem to prefer B2P.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Heretique said:

Which is a damn smart move. You might not approve, but the majority of NA/EU players seem to prefer B2P.
    http://mmos.com/editorials/black-deserts-buy-to-play-model-wont-work

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    tet666 said:
    Heretique said:

http://mmos.com/editorials/black-deserts-buy-to-play-model-wont-work

I disagree, many MMOs are currently killed at day one because 2 million players want to jump in at once, with all acompanying problems..

b2p gives a game a slower and much fairer start...

and Gw2 is still b2p if you want to play the expansion..  The model works quite well, if the game is worth the money spending..  You buy the game and can return anytime you want...  Thats well invested money..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    edited February 2016
    The problem is not the fact it's a grind, the problem is that it's a solo grind with no challenge.

Sure, you can group, but the game doesn't encourage it and most players  are in fact soloing.

Grinding while grouping is fun, grinding while soloing......uhm, not so much. Most people have a very low threshold for it.

And the ones that do manage to tolerate the grind, are then met the prospect of having to wait for an expansion..or whatever..to get endgame..because..there is currently no endgame content.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    edited February 2016
    sanshi44 said:
    Sovrath said:
    sanshi44 said:

Korean's dont tend to like PvP and considering there little to none PvE end game i can see why.
    I kind of think they love them.

Lineage - pvp
    Lineage 2 - pvp
    archlord - pvp
    ArcheAge - pvp 
    Starcraft/Starcraft 2 pvp (yes I know it's blizzard but it's popular there)
    Granado Espada - pvp
    Aion, Blade and Soul - pvp
    Core Online - pvp
    Tera - pvp

And so on and so on. I have no idea why Black Desert isn't more popular.

Lineage - Cant comment
    Archlord - Cant comment
    Archage - Not realy they made PvP pretty much a punishment if you wanted to be a PvPer. For example good luck being a pirate u can do anything and everyone takes the coastal trade route 99% of the time that are 100% safe
    Starcrafts is a stratergy game its kinda the point tbh (Was only refering to MMOs)
    Granado Espanda - Cant comment
    Blade and Soul - O no open world PvP happen im just gonna take off this clothes and put a non pvp cloth on yay im 100% safe now to do my thing. It does have a following for Areana Pvp however but i spose thats more of a 3d type street fighter but your point still valid there
    Core Online - Cant comment
    Tera- been long time to play but u could advoid PvP the entire game if you wanted if i remember correctly

I spose i shal refrase my wording Korean's hate open world PvP and they generaly heavily penalise anyone who partakes in it.
    For example Korean Black Desert if you kill like 5 people your Karma drops low enough u loose gear on and enchants on death, this would not be a problem if gear was easy come easy go but my understanding getting higher enchanting gear then loosing it to one death is alot of work just poofed. Thanks god the US version getting rid of enchant lost on death so we can acualy do open would PvP without having to declare war on people which takes gold upkeep to maintain.

Tree of Life was a korean indy company that they completely destroyed putting rediculous penalty on dieing if you were red, pretty much kill one person go red and loose 10% of your levels each time u die if you defended yourself the red time just got longer and when u respawned you remained red and naked. It use to be inventory drop when dieing as red and 1 item when dieing as a yellow which worked great imo but apparently not unfortunately alot of people left that game after that patch but im sure some stayed to build there little castles that no one gonna attack.
    Well, that's definitely your opinion. That's fine of course, but I just don't agree.

I like open world pvp but putting penalties on "murder" is not penalizing pvp in my opinion. To me it means that you are making a choice. And I like games that make the player make a choice.

So yeah, in Lineage 2, if you went red you could drop items and earlier in the game there was no sin eater. And that gear took a lot to get.

Penalties are good and not anti-open world pvp. They make it so that every time you attack a player you are doing so with the idea that your decisions have consequences.

If they didn't like open world pvp they wouldn't put it in the game. What they don't like "might be" pvp without consequences. Of course that is a blanket statement.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Kyleran said:
    MrSyn said:
    I would say its doing pretty well... its a Korean game and those normally take years to come to EU/NA.

Not this one.. KR's official launch release was July 2015, so within less than a year after its origin release, they will have released JP / RU / EU and NA. I don't know many KRs games release mass market like that so fast.

Not sure if they shown popularity but it definitely shows they have money backing them. 

Im just sad what they doing to the energy system for EU/NA and has sadly made this go from a must play/buy (from my time on KR server) to a no play for me in EU. I don't want to support or play a limited experience to what i played on KR. Limited as in you can only do 480 single point energy actions per 24 hour your character is online and that only goes up if you afk in your bed but even still limited.. 1 energy per 3mins online > 3 energy per 3mins in bed > 5 energy per 3mins in cash shop bed.
    So they are making the same design mistake as AA?

I actually considered purchasing the highest level pledge pack yesterday just for the heck of it.

But as the other thread has discussed, this smells far too much like AA and I will avoid this title solely over the inclusion of this single feature.

Pity, it showed promise.

I shall see for myself (thanks to being quick on the draw and getting a free CB2 key from here) and then I'll buy the cheapest package If I like what I see.

But from previous experience, if I feel like they're crippling me too much to entice me to spend $ on RNG shit, I'll only be around for a little while just like I was in AA... $30 for a month or two learning a new system is worth it, $100 isn't.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Will the upcomming lineage eternal finally release the official lineage of its burden?  Will the new lineage succeed at taking its rightfull top position in Korea?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    I don't know about others, but I see some RP-PvP potential in BDO. Will definitely check out the CBT2 now that I got a key and depending on how it feels I might even preorder the basic package (since you need to invest 30 bucks/euros anyway to play the game at launch).
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Kyleran said:
    MrSyn said:
    I would say its doing pretty well... its a Korean game and those normally take years to come to EU/NA.

Not this one.. KR's official launch release was July 2015, so within less than a year after its origin release, they will have released JP / RU / EU and NA. I don't know many KRs games release mass market like that so fast.

Not sure if they shown popularity but it definitely shows they have money backing them. 

Im just sad what they doing to the energy system for EU/NA and has sadly made this go from a must play/buy (from my time on KR server) to a no play for me in EU. I don't want to support or play a limited experience to what i played on KR. Limited as in you can only do 480 single point energy actions per 24 hour your character is online and that only goes up if you afk in your bed but even still limited.. 1 energy per 3mins online > 3 energy per 3mins in bed > 5 energy per 3mins in cash shop bed.
    So they are making the same design mistake as AA?

I actually considered purchasing the highest level pledge pack yesterday just for the heck of it.

But as the other thread has discussed, this smells far too much like AA and I will avoid this title solely over the inclusion of this single feature.

Pity, it showed promise.

I know what you mean, I thought it was a terrible decision as well. However, I have heard that energy is not as much of a bottleneck as it is in AA, so it might not be such a big issue.

I got the $50 pack so I'll find out what its like during CBT2 and let you guys know if the energy limits seem anything like the horror of AA's labor points.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    sanshi44 said:
    Sovrath said:
    sanshi44 said:
    Kiyoris said:
    It's not a popular game in Korea, it is number 35 and dropping.

solo grind and no endgame

http://www.gamenote.com/rank_ongame/index.php?search_mode=weekly&genre=MMORPG

Korean's dont tend to like PvP and considering there little to none PvE end game i can see why.
    I kind of think they love them.

Lineage - pvp
    Lineage 2 - pvp
    archlord - pvp
    ArcheAge - pvp 
    Starcraft/Starcraft 2 pvp (yes I know it's blizzard but it's popular there)
    Granado Espada - pvp
    Aion, Blade and Soul - pvp
    Core Online - pvp
    Tera - pvp

And so on and so on. I have no idea why Black Desert isn't more popular.

Lineage - Cant comment
    Archlord - Cant comment
    Archage - Not realy they made PvP pretty much a punishment if you wanted to be a PvPer. For example good luck being a pirate u can do anything and everyone takes the coastal trade route 99% of the time that are 100% safe
    Starcrafts is a stratergy game its kinda the point tbh (Was only refering to MMOs)
    Granado Espanda - Cant comment
    Blade and Soul - O no open world PvP happen im just gonna take off this clothes and put a non pvp cloth on yay im 100% safe now to do my thing. It does have a following for Areana Pvp however but i spose thats more of a 3d type street fighter but your point still valid there
    Core Online - Cant comment
    Tera- been long time to play but u could advoid PvP the entire game if you wanted if i remember correctly

I spose i shal refrase my wording Korean's hate open world PvP and they generaly heavily penalise anyone who partakes in it.
    For example Korean Black Desert if you kill like 5 people your Karma drops low enough u loose gear on and enchants on death, this would not be a problem if gear was easy come easy go but my understanding getting higher enchanting gear then loosing it to one death is alot of work just poofed. Thanks god the US version getting rid of enchant lost on death so we can acualy do open would PvP without having to declare war on people which takes gold upkeep to maintain.

Tree of Life was a korean indy company that they completely destroyed putting rediculous penalty on dieing if you were red, pretty much kill one person go red and loose 10% of your levels each time u die if you defended yourself the red time just got longer and when u respawned you remained red and naked. It use to be inventory drop when dieing as red and 1 item when dieing as a yellow which worked great imo but apparently not unfortunately alot of people left that game after that patch but im sure some stayed to build there little castles that no one gonna attack.
    You are talking more about "good game / bad game" than you are about what Koreans like.
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Katilla said:
    Daxamar said:
    Its fun, but the end game is PvP. Not a themepark. No dungeons, open world bosses. Its not for everyone, but it has potential to be a good game here.

You dont quest for xp, you grind. Its a KR game after all. That throws off a lot of the West.

You qeast for other things like inv slots, and skill points.Not XP.

No player trading, so you cant get geared up by a friend, or your friendly gold seller. You do a lot on your own. Forge your own destiny!
    Yeah, I think what throws off the Westerners a lot about this game, is that it's not about the  "end game" or grinding out levels.  It's about doing whatever you want in the world and they just threw levels in there as a side thing to do.

Since when is end game PvP about doing whatever your want?  I suppose if your definition is solely based on doing PvP, then sure, but if players want to do OTHER things than PvP, they can screw themselves, right?  Why bother having any PvE at all then?  Is it so they can draw in the sheep for the slaughter?

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Kiyoris said:
    The problem is not the fact it's a grind, the problem is that it's a solo grind with no challenge.

Sure, you can group, but the game doesn't encourage it and most players  are in fact soloing.

Grinding while grouping is fun, grinding while soloing......uhm, not so much. Most people have a very low threshold for it.

And the ones that do manage to tolerate the grind, are then met the prospect of having to wait for an expansion..or whatever..to get endgame..because..there is currently no endgame content.
    They have made changes to making grouping to grind mobs more appealing. I have never found grinding mobs with a group (or solo) to be a challenge in any mmo, but at least the combat in BDO looks entertaining.

One other thing that you keep misunderstanding is that the whole game is end game. You can do everything from level 1. Pvp opens up more past level 50, but you can still pvp below that point. It is not a themepark game that focuses on running instanced dungeons and raids.
    DMKano said:
    YashaX said:
    One other thing that you keep misunderstanding is that the whole game is end game. You can do everything from level 1. Pvp opens up more past level 50, but you can still pvp below that point. It is not a themepark game that focuses on running instanced dungeons and raids.

You cannot pvp at level 1.

Min level to PvP is a 30? They've changed it for NA maybe it's lower now? 

Either way you can't do everything at level 1.
    True and with the harsh penalty's for worldpvp only idiots will gank or grieve at least i hope so.