Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Activision Blizzard Financial Report - Destiny 2 in 2017 -

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageActivision Blizzard Financial Report - Destiny 2 in 2017 -

Ahead of its investor presentation, Activision-Blizzard has released the 2015 full year financial results. According to the report, A-B grew 32% year-over-year with record digital revenues leading the way both for Q4 2015 and the year overall.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Sounds like a good time to be a A-B investor or upper management.

This have been a good conversation

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    LOL... and just what does player engagement mean? That seems like a rather obtuse term to use.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Pepeq said:
    LOL... and just what does player engagement mean? That seems like a rather obtuse term to use.

That... if i would dare to guess... Is the whole point of said term. =P

Pretty much since number of registered players on a F2P title only means something if put against projected numbers. (as in they expexted 35 mil registerd accounts and they got 40.) it does not really say anything about how well the game it self is doing, i guess the player engagement is any customer interaction with the game (or perhaps just any interaction that leads to a sale... ) 

This have been a good conversation

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited February 2016
    Not quite the only mention.

The SEC 8-K report filed Feb 11th reports that GAAP net revenue for Online - defined as "revenues from all World of Warcraft products, including subscriptions, boxed products, expansion packs, licensing royalties, and value-added services" was $164M

For comparison the comparable GAAP measures are:
    2014 Q4 $266; 2015 Q1 $272; 2015 Q2 $221M; 2015 Q3 $195M and 2015 Q4 $164M.

So about c. 16% drop. So - maybe - 4.6M subs? Not all revenue is from subs though so could be more, could be less. Continues the downward trend though.

To avoid possible confusion AB also report non-GAAP numbers. These include the impact of deferred revenue e.g. pre-orders; possibly multi-month subs; token sales maybe etc.

Non-GAAP numbers:
    2014 Q4 $398M; 2015 Q1 $209M; 2015 Q2 $157M; 2015 Q3 $155M; 2015 Q4 $191M

AB report deferred revenue of $27M for Q4- which is the difference between $191M and $164M.
  • Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
    gervaise1 said:

So about c. 16% drop. So - maybe - 4.6M subs? Not all revenue is from subs though so could be more, could be less. Continues the downward trend though.

A 16% drop in an end of cycle period for an MMORPG is nothing to complain about.  Every MMORPG ever released goes through this.  
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    "Net" revenue, and as I mentioned in another thread, that can very well be 7 million subs, the way "subs" is defined.
    edited February 2016

Adjuvant1 said:

"Net" revenue, and as I mentioned in another thread, that can very well be 7 million subs, the way "subs" is defined.

The way a "sub" is defined hasn't changed though. However in mid-November last year - when AB released their last results - they would have had a pretty good idea of what the end December number was going to be; especially if you factor in that they will have had the 3 and 6 month cancellation data. And if they "knew" it was going to be "7M" I don't think they would have said no more sub numbers.

Edit: read other thread; the poster you responded to had "out-of-date" info regarding $100M a month and 7M subs.
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
    edited February 2016

gervaise1 said:

A 16% drop in an end of cycle period for an MMORPG is nothing to complain about.  Every MMORPG ever released goes through this.  

Except it isn't the end of the cycle. There is 2016 Q1 and 2016 Q2 (at least) still to come. Still good just not what it once was.
    gervaise1 said:

gervaise1 said:

Except it isn't the end of the cycle. There is 2016 Q1 and 2016 Q2 (at least) still to come. Still good just not what it once was.
    Yes it is end of cycle....they stated since the last major update that would be the last major updates AKA end of cycle.  
    gervaise1 said:

gervaise1 said:

Yes it is end of cycle....they stated since the last major update that would be the last major updates AKA end of cycle.  

My apologies I thought you meant cycle in the way that AB use the term - expansion to expansion. In that case this is end of cycle +1 quarter and the drop is over 25%.

Which may be a better way to take a stab at sub numbers as well; 5.6M less 25% - about 4.2M. New content is a key driver though - and many expected a bigger drop last year.

Still just a stab of course - albeit based on based on reported revenue. Keeping the number to themselves probably avoided the WoW loses more than half its subs in a year headline though.
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    I will guess that since they decided to go the route of Destiny 2 rather than an expansion for Destiny which was supposed to be a game with at least 10year longevity attached to it, that Destiny 2 will indeed be much different than Destiny is today, hopefully that means less instancing.
    gervaise1 said:
    gervaise1 said:

gervaise1 said:

My apologies I thought you meant cycle in the way that AB use the term - expansion to expansion. In that case this is end of cycle +1 quarter and the drop is over 25%.

Which may be a better way to take a stab at sub numbers as well; 5.6M less 25% - about 4.2M. New content is a key driver though - and many expected a bigger drop last year.

Still just a stab of course - albeit based on based on reported revenue. Keeping the number to themselves probably avoided the WoW loses more than half its subs in a year headline though.
    Agreed personally I never put too much into sale numbers or sub numbers of a particular game.  I don't play or buy them because they have 5 million subs.  So I'm glad we don't have to hear that headline for the next 6 months. 
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    gervaise1 said:

Adjuvant1 said:

The way a "sub" is defined hasn't changed though. However in mid-November last year - when AB released their last results - they would have had a pretty good idea of what the end December number was going to be; especially if you factor in that they will have had the 3 and 6 month cancellation data. And if they "knew" it was going to be "7M" I don't think they would have said no more sub numbers.
    You're right, it hasn't changed. Even when there were 15m+ "subs", a good percentage were package deals to cyber cafes at cut rate. Millions of these didn't pay 15usd/month. Not sure if you weren't aware of this or just arguing to argue. There very well can be, for example, 3 million "subs" at total 15m /month, or less depending on the deal.

Look, a cyber cafe franchise makes a deal to include WoW as part of the outlet's subscription package. Of the package, including several games and other available aps, $4 or $5 of each goes to Blizzard. This customer's internet hours are curtailed by the business, according to the package, but it's still considered an individual "sub". That customer may play the game 20 hours a month, 2 hours or 0. These "subs" are, and have been, considered in the numbers as subscribers since the first months of the game.
    I will guess that since they decided to go the route of Destiny 2 rather than an expansion for Destiny which was supposed to be a game with at least 10year longevity attached to it, that Destiny 2 will indeed be much different than Destiny is today, hopefully that means less instancing.

The (updated) agreement with Bungie was for 10 years and 4 games with additional DLC. The talk was also about "one story" hence it has been / still is? unclear whether Destiny 2 will be like a WoW expansion or a new Assassin's Creed / Elder Scrolls instalment. Certainly sounds like characters in Destiny 1 will be able to continue their adventures in Destiny 2 though.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Make it third person yes,yes ,YES!
    Chamber of Chains
  • SteelhelmSteelhelm Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Player Engagement = Monetizing.
    I'm a customer of WoW, but I don't like the way the game is presented here by the company who runs it. How weird is that shit. Perhaps they are taking the game into a direction I am not interested in...

From the powerpoint presentation:

Key Drivers:
    1. Broadened audience reach with successful game launches, and expanded onto new platforms and geographies
    2. Drove deeper engagement by providing outstanding gameplay and regular content updates
    3. Successfully shifted to a year-round player investment model while still growing engagement

-------

Yeah, this monetizing because I don't see this in applying to WoW...
    Talking about games where thousands of players exist simultaneously in a single instance and mechanics related to such games.
  • Geddon95405Geddon95405 Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Activision is becoming less transparent to avoid scaring shareholders with REAL numbers that shareholders and prospective shareholders care most about. Lame.

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women...

Activision is becoming less transparent to avoid scaring shareholders with REAL numbers that shareholders and prospective shareholders care most about. Lame.
    Haha man you guys are sure desperate to come up some crazy conspiracy theories.  
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

He's correct when it comes to WOW

He's correct when it comes to WOW
    So if that's the case they will release sub numbers when legion launches right?   I mean that is the logic you guys have.  
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Pepeq said:

It means if they can keep people playing their games they can drag in their friends, sell them more content, and transition them to other Activision-Blizzard titles. They're building market share and brand loyalty. In 2032 all games are Activision-Blizzard.
    What a wonderful world that would be.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Cazador64Cazador64 Member UncommonPosts: 7

Adjuvant1 said:

I know you can't mean 7M WOW subs. Because there is no way WOW has 7M . They will be lucky to hit 7M for legion, they are probably sitting between 3.5-4.5 now. We might see a spike because of the movie, but I am thinking wow will settle back out around 3.5-4.5 M subs within 3 months of expac release. Q3 had 5.5 M and there has been a steady drop off on the 4 servers I play on Blackrock , Stormrage , Eitrigg and Tichondrius. I think it is safe to assume all other servers have seen the same trend.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Who cares about engagement, look at their revenue increase.

i can't wait for overwatch, it would be so amaaaaaaaazing. I also need to play destiny 1 before destiny 2 comes out. Don't want its population to die out before I play it.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.