Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Women in Gaming - Undead Labs' Sanya Weathers - General Interviews

Comments

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    edited February 2016
    Pepeq said:
    Unless you are a female, you have no idea of the inequalities that women must endure in the work world.

Sure, things have improved... but equality?  Hell no, that hasn't happened yet.

Unless you are a "enter sex", you have no idea of the "enter anything here" that "enter sex" must endure in the "enter anything here".

Sure, things have improved...but equality? Yes...name one law that bars any women in any way in the work world.

Equality. Equal RIGHTS and PROTECTIONS under the law.

That is what Equality means. Women bare hostility in the workplace...just like men bare hostility in the workplace.

Women are judged by their looks, men are judged by their looks. Thats right, pasty faced fat charlie will be passed on everything over handsome clean cut, good looking George in many instances. Especially in jobs with dealing with the public...because...job description is dealing with the public and that means good looking people fit the job better. Shock, horror.

Tom received a promotion? Why? Eddy is a far better worker AND is far more knowledgeable and even more than that, has an actual degree! Why did this happen oh lord? Well...because, Tom kissed the managers bottom far more sonny boy. Welcome to the real world where politics are at play even at work.

Wait, why is that John did not get the job hauling 80lb bundles of hey? Because, John is 110lbs soaking wet and Labron that did get the job is 210lbs of muscle. Stronger, better worker for this type of job ZOMG reality, stop hurting mah feelz.

Black Bob didnt get hired even though he had a degree, must be racism. Or could it be because White Ron, who did get the job also had a degree and 6 years experience to boot? yes, it IS possible that could be the reason because some companies actually do hire the most qualified person unless they dont have enough minorities and must meet federal regulations that force them to SOMETIMES hire lower qualified people...

James was demoted and not offered a leadership position in a newly created department even though he had the most experience and has been with the company the longest, how is this possible? Well, the CEO doesnt like James, James isnt a yes man. Screw James. He disagrees sometimes.

If only men had a Matriarchy to blame or had the ability to say their feelings were hurt, thus sexism.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• VichusSmithVichusSmith Member UncommonPosts: 67

Nilden said:

Gaming isn't about gender. You wouldn't interview a male dev and call it Men in Gaming. Stop making it about gender. It doesn't matter what gender a dev or gamer is to any real gamer.

This old argument. No, you wouldn't do that because if you threw a dartboard at a list of developers, you're way more likely to hit a man's name than a woman's.

There's nothing more gratifying than playing an MMO for free.

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    edited February 2016
    Pepeq said:
    Unless you are a female, you have no idea of the inequalities that women must endure in the work world.

*men are living more on the street than women
    *men have more work fatalities than women
    *men die more in wars than women
    *men do far worse in school than women, worldwide
    *men now earn less than women under 30
    *men are more in jail than women
    *men are raped more than women (most rapes happen in jail)
    *men get heavier penalties for the same crime as women
    *men get the death penalty over 10 times more than women

tell me again how women are disadvantaged pumpkin

scorpex-x said:

Women in "gaming" is only a thing these days because of games like candy crush.

Aside from that the majority of gamers on pc and consoles are still male by a massive margin, the numbers of females who play PC/console gaming is no bigger in real terms than it was 10 years ago. 

Candy Crush isn't really the target game for women or men. It's a timewaster for both genders. Where are your numbers on all of this knowledge you're sharing with us? I know women who have been gaming as long as I have. Maybe there is a grain of truth in what you say, because mobile devices have only gotten better, and mobile gaming is a bigger market.

So if you only play mobile games, you somehow don't count? There are much deeper mobile games than Candy Crush. Do those games count?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Kiyoris said:
    Pepeq said:

You do realize that that most of that is for a very specific demographic of people right? Never mind, of course you don't.

Not so say that isn't a shame but most of that is for criminals.

Also, put more women on the front line or in hazardous jobs and a few of those points would equal out quickly.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Nilden said:

Gaming isn't about gender. You wouldn't interview a male dev and call it Men in Gaming. Stop making it about gender. It doesn't matter what gender a dev or gamer is to any real gamer.

This old argument. No, you wouldn't do that because if you threw a dartboard at a list of developers, you're way more likely to hit a man's name than a woman's.

Sorry I don't care what gender the people making a game are. Just if it's a good game. They could be a company entirely composed of females or males or any combination of the two. As far as I'm concerned it's all about the games and how good they are not the gender of the people making them. It's this concept of talent, workmanship, merit and the quality of the product they produce. You know how good a job the person does not what gender they are.

To me it seems retarded to put in some kind of work quota where you need a 50/50 gender split when it's not based on gender it's based on how good someone can do a job.

So if I threw a dart at a dartboard with a list of dev names on it and got Pat, I wouldn't care if Pat is male or female I would care if Pat could preform well at the job and make awesome video games.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

edited February 2016
    Sovrath said:

Also, put more women on the front line or in hazardous jobs and a few of those points would equal out quickly.
    Good luck with that, women aren't considered expendable like men. There would be mass outcry if women started coming back in body bags like men.

In fact, one of the reasons there have been changes in safety procedures where I work, is because women joined the workforce, and accidents only got addressed once a woman got hurt. In that sense, having women join us improved our safety, but only as a side effect of people caring more about women than men.

One of the examples is lathe work, you know how many accidents I have seen of a chuck key causing bodily harm when it flies out of a spindle, way waaaaaaaay too many.

But once women started using these machines, all of a sudden there needed to be safer chuck keys.

No one gave a **** before it.
    edited February 2016
    I am pleased that women joining the workforce improved the safety for men, especially of lathe work.

But I do not thank women for that, they have nothing to do with it.

The public outcry of women getting hurt...is what made the work safer for men as a side-effect...the double standard, that men can get hurt, but women can not.

No one gave a damn about the dangers of lathe work before it.

So when women come tell me how they have it bad in the workplace, I laugh at them, I have visited more than my share of people in the hospital from work related injuries. ALL  MEN.

Do I hate women? No. I love my gf, and my mom, and my sis.

Do I hate women who try to put men down? Yes.
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Why would any creative people, men or women, get into the gaming industry? It's an absolute soul crushing place to work unless you're lucky enough to have creative freedom, which most don't.
  • Xeno.phonXeno.phon Member UncommonPosts: 350
    My friend worked at a waste treatment facility, there were NO female workers on the floor handling the waste. How sexist is that right!

Call sexism all you like, until you provide the application numbers you are just flaming. If you dont know how many females apply to a job compared to males then how can you know if the hiring process is sexist?

As for equal advancement opportunities, fight for them, like males do. Stop expecting men to hand you everything you desire because you are a women and try being more competitive.
    Sovrath said:
    Kiyoris said:

You do realize that that most of that is for a very specific demographic of people right? Never mind, of course you don't.

Not so say that isn't a shame but most of that is for criminals.

Why is it that when it comes to men we must take into account every detail like "demographics" while lumping everything that happens everywhere into a nice single group for women? Things like, entire industries and all work, while not looking at any actual relevant information that could explain why things are the way they are?

As for your ending. Have you NOT noticed that there are no feminist protests to get women the dangerous or dirty jobs? I have...

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    edited February 2016
    Pretty much comes down to this in a workplace of more than one person.

Nilden said:
    Sorry I don't care what gender the people making a game are. Just if it's a good game. They could be a company entirely composed of females or males or any combination of the two. As far as I'm concerned it's all about the games and how good they are not the gender of the people making them. It's this concept of talent, workmanship, merit and the quality of the product they produce. You know how good a job the person does not what gender they are.

To me it seems retarded to put in some kind of work quota where you need a 50/50 gender split when it's not based on gender it's based on how good someone can do a job.

So if I threw a dart at a dartboard with a list of dev names on it and got Pat, I wouldn't care if Pat is male or female I would care if Pat could preform well at the job and make awesome video games.
    When was anyone talking about employing quotas? Good, we shouldn't care about the gender of the people who makes your game. The issue, aside from that, is that there are more men in the industry than women, and it is simply a point of interest to SOME of us that there are successful women in the Games industry. It's telling us "Hey, times are changing. Isn't that great?"

Alders said:
    Why would any creative people, men or women, get into the gaming industry? It's an absolute soul crushing place to work unless you're lucky enough to have creative freedom, which most don't.
    Who do you want to make your games?

• n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496
    When was anyone talking about employing quotas? Good, we shouldn't care about the gender of the people who makes your game. The issue, aside from that, is that there are more men in the industry than women, and it is simply a point of interest to SOME of us that there are successful women in the Games industry. It's telling us "Hey, times are changing. Isn't that great?"
    Why the f.  is that great? Are games better because of that? What kind of retarded sjw logic is this?

There are also more men in construction working or garbage collecting industry but nobody seems to care about that.
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Kiyoris said:
    Pepeq said:

Using your thought process.... men are stupider than women because there are more of them.

Good job! 
    edited February 2016
    Pepeq said:
    Kiyoris said:
    Pepeq said:

Using your thought process.... men are stupider than women because there are more of them.

Good job! 
    this post.... actually hurt my brains

... well I guess feminist logic  is just not for me :)
    edited February 2016
    Why the f.  is that great? Are games better because of that? What kind of retarded sjw logic is this?
    Games could be better because more women are involved. I'm not just talking about the product. This isn't just about games. It's about showing everyone that A is not just a boys club and B is not just a girl's club. Very early in our lives, we separate into this pink and blue world where people make certain assumptions about gender. This shows boys and girls that those assumptions are not quite correct.

There are also more men in construction working or garbage collecting industry but nobody seems to care about that.
    I bet they are. On the police force, in the armed forces, there are issues about gender. I don't think it's an odd notion that there are people promoting female sanitation and construction workers.

Games could be better because more women are involved. I'm not just talking about the product.
    we are not talking about a virtual world now. you can enforce a gender locked class in a game but this is real world, this is business.

if there is no profit there are no jobs, got it?
    Games could be better because more women are involved. I'm not just talking about the product.
    we are not talking about a virtual world now. you can enforce a gender locked class in a game but this is real world, this is business.

if there is no profit there are no jobs, got it?
    I understand the basics of business just fine, but I don't know what you're getting at. No one is enforcing one gender over another, and I don't know why you're talking of profits. Games people buy make profits. There's not gneder involved in that.

I never asked for quotas or anything of that sort. I think that the push for more women in gaming actually comes way before the industry. You can't hire women in gaming if they don't have the educational background to work in the industry. This returns all the way back to the article. A young woman sees this article and goes "Hmm. If she can do it, maybe I can." Or a parent sees this article and suggests games development as a career option.

When was anyone talking about employing quotas? SNIP

The issue, aside from that, is that there are more men in the industry than women, SNIP
    This cracked me up.

I don't think it's an odd notion that there are people promoting female sanitation and construction workers.
    Please do point to something that says there was a protest to get more women sanitation workers.

• donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    edited February 2016
    More gender politics nonsense. Why is it that any time I hear about women in the gaming industry it is always some community manager type person? That has nothing to do with making games. That is just public relations at best. Any intern can be a forum mod or community manager. Can they find one woman in the entire gaming industry that does anything but edit forums or draw concept art??? These articles about women in the gaming industry kind of prove women have almost nothing to do with the gaming industry.... nice try though...

Edit: Sorry, I almost forgot about cosplayers and holding microphones at E-sport events. 
    JJ82 said:
    When was anyone talking about employing quotas? SNIP

The issue, aside from that, is that there are more men in the industry than women, SNIP
    This cracked me up.

Why? I never asked for quotas, and that's not contrary.

edited February 2016
    JJ82 said:

I don't think it's an odd notion that there are people promoting female sanitation and construction workers.
    Please do point to something that says there was a protest to get more women sanitation workers.
    http://www.letsrecycle.com/news/latest-news/waste-industry-needs-more-women-says-veolia-chief/

donger56 said:
    More gender politics nonsense. Why is it that any time I hear about women in the gaming industry it is always some community manager type person? That has nothing to do with making games. That is just public relations at best. Any intern can be a forum mod or community manager. Can they find one woman in the entire gaming industry that does anything but edit forums or draw concept art??? These articles about women in the gaming industry kind of prove women have almost nothing to do with the gaming industry.... nice try though...

Edit: Sorry, I almost forgot about cosplayers and holding microphones at E-sport events. 
    Last time I heard about a woman in the gaming industry it was Rihanna Prachett, writer behind the Tomb Raider reboot games and the first Mirror's Edge. She's written many games besides. I guess you just have selective hearing. You do make a good case for people to hear more about the people who are behind our games. Thanks!

• RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Why do we even have this? Gosh please don't turn Marxist on me MMORPG. I'll have to find a new site to frequent if so.
    Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

This discussion has been closed.