Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[NEWS] - CIG Austin has started planning and laying down a roadmap.

MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
edited February 2016 in Star Citizen
CIG Austin

"The keyword for this month has been ROADMAP. Lots of scheduling and planning has been going on this month for 2016, and we’ve made good progress in laying down a roadmap for features and content."

-------------------------- quote above this line - opinion below ---------------------------------

After only 3 years working on the Alpha Concept (PU 2.0), marketing, selling ships and decorating the offices around the world we have entered the planning phase for 2016 in February of 2016. Some cynical people might say, "it's a bit late to plan for 2016 when it is already February", to them i say, "It's ONLY February, there is plenty of time this year to finish the plan."

This is great news for everyone since whenever this planning and roadmap is done we get all the cool features from the stretch goals. Maybe we even get some more working ships and Star Marine PU FPS. They should also be able to give us a release date after planning. I hope it's this year in winter, i have lots of time to traverse the 'verse with my fellow commandos!

[source - Monthly Studio Report]

What do you think we will get from this cool planning and road mapping? 
Do you think we get a release date for SQ42?

Have faith!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
- Michael Bitton
Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
- SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Post edited by MrSnuffles on

Comments

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    This should outrage anyone who "donated" to this farce (which isn't me, thankfully).

They have been spending tens of millions of dollars from pre-sold and promised product and only NOW are the putting together a plan for features and a roadmap to deliver the same?

What kind of idiots are running the show at CIG?

All of that planning and a "roadmap" should be in place BEFORE you start major development.

Unless you want to waste massive amounts of time, money and effort, of course.

For anyone who has managed a project of any type professionally, this all screams "mismanagement" and "amateur hour".

But then, they were using "donated" and not investor funds, so who cares right?

Right........

• MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    edited February 2016
    Burntvet said:
    This should outrage anyone who "donated" to this farce (which isn't me, thankfully).

They have been spending tens of millions of dollars from pre-sold and promised product and only NOW are the putting together a plan for features and a roadmap to deliver the same?

What kind of idiots are running the show at CIG?

All of that planning and a "roadmap" should be in place BEFORE you start major development.

Unless you want to waste massive amounts of time, money and effort, of course.

For anyone who has managed a project of any type professionally, this all screams "mismanagement" and "amateur hour".

But then, they were using "donated" and not investor funds, so who cares right?

Right........

No need to be so negative. We have a concept alpha PU that is already version 2.0! Game development takes a lot of time, like ESO took 8 years or Fallout 4 took 10 years. Some games even take 15 years like Duke Nuk'em!

You can't just start planning willy-nilly when your concept is not fully done yet and you have to sell ships and make TV shows.

Have Faith!

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited February 2016
    lol ESO is up to 8 this month huh? Fallout 10?

This gives SC another 7 years to get it done! this is awesome!
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Precisely why I don't get excited about games until they're games.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited February 2016
    CIG Austin

"The keyword for this month has been ROADMAP. Lots of scheduling and planning has been going on this month for 2016, and we’ve made good progress in laying down a roadmap for features and content."

[mod edit]

Years of Monthly reports - very detailed accounts of what CIG Austin and the other studios have been doing.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link?series=monthly-report

Have fun

Post edited by Vaross on
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Erillion said

Years of Monthly reports - very detailed accounts of what CIG Austin and the other studios have been doing.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link?series=monthly-report

And they always do exactly what they say over at CIG right?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14981-Star-Marine-Status-Update

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14697-Star-Marine-FPS-Update

Oh wait, it turns out Star Marine was not even close to being released.  It looks like they dont always do what they say...
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Axllow18Axllow18 Member UncommonPosts: 400
    I am so glad so many people are salty over this game so that I am almost guaranteed to get something to chuckle at whenever I visit this site.

You guys are my e-heroes.
    Axllow18 said:
    I am so glad so many people are salty over this game so that I am almost guaranteed to get something to chuckle at whenever I visit this site.

You guys are my e-heroes.
    I don't know if these people are salty. That would imply they have some sort of investment in the game and are angry. I doubt that is true.

I think they are just having fun dragging down a great developer like Chris Roberts and a great game like Star Citizen because they don't have the money to buy cool spaceships.

- Michael Bitton

- SEANMCAD

The investment that both sides have in this game speaks for itself man. I don't give a shit about WoW so I don't post about WoW, I don't look up news about WoW, I dont even post on the WoW section of this forum. But you guys are here posting the news and posting on EVERY video / story / promo posted by the shades-bunny.

Seriously, you guys are a joy to watch. Both you and the space bunny make my day every time I hit this site.
  • AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    edited February 2016
    Axllow18 said:
    The investment that both sides have in this game speaks for itself man. I don't give a shit about WoW so I don't post about WoW, I don't look up news about WoW, I dont even post on the WoW section of this forum. But you guys are here posting the news and posting on EVERY video / story / promo posted by the shades-bunny.

Seriously, you guys are a joy to watch. Both you and the space bunny make my day every time I hit this site.
    I think it's partly because people are afraid of the trends that could result from this, telling developers that they can get away doing x or y. Not all of these fan-funded campaigns are a success story, some never even reach Alpha and the money is lost forever. And then you have Star Citizen, which went through multiple campaigns and now its own donation system along with the sales of virtual ships for a game that's nowhere near close to release (let alone an alpha?). That players are willing to throw away their money so easily encourages more and more companies to seek to prey on players using similar tactics. 

It wasn't that long ago where to enter a beta all you needed was to sign up and wait for an email, but then some publisher decided it'd be a good idea to sell Founder's Pack, which people purchased and continues to do so today, and now if you really want to get into beta you're going to have to pony up some cash on a Founder's Pack simply for the privilege of testing their game. Players funding such an unpredictable and greedy project like Star Citizen are sending a similar response "Shoot your ideas and ships that don't even exist yet, we'll pay you anyway". That train of thought is scary, and deserves to be ridiculed by players.
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Axllow18 said:

I think it's partly because people are afraid of the trends that could result from this, telling developers that they can get away doing x or y. Not all of these fan-funded campaigns are a success story, some never even reach Alpha and the money is lost forever. And then you have Star Citizen, which went through multiple campaigns and now its own donation system along with the sales of virtual ships for a game that's nowhere near close to release (let alone an alpha?). That players are willing to throw away their money so easily encourages more and more companies to seek to prey on players using similar tactics. 

It wasn't that long ago where to enter a beta all you needed was to sign up and wait for an email, but then some publisher decided it'd be a good idea to sell Founder's Pack, which people purchased and continues to do so today, and now if you really want to get into beta you're going to have to pony up some cash on a Founder's Pack simply for the privilege of testing their game. Players funding such an unpredictable and greedy project like Star Citizen are sending a similar response "Shoot your ideas and ships that don't even exist yet, we'll pay you anyway". That train of thought is scary, and deserves to be ridiculed by players.
    The problem is the majority who post don't care about if it affects the industry or gamers or whoever, most care that at the end of the day they can say "I told you so". Few have even admitted they post to get a rise  out of fans. 

I think sharing you view and opinions on a project is great, but some of these guys are looking high and low for what ever they can find to prove their point and why they are right. They're doing it for their own needs not for the players, games or industry. This is probably my whole problem with these kind of threads.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I think threads like these are a good thing.  Developers need to know that what they do is being watched.  They need to know that everyone is not going to say they trust them 1000% and believe they can do no wrong.  This is about accountability rather then blind faith in a project.  Other developers will see these threads and think twice before coming up with an idea and feeling they have no one to really answer to.  

If this were a regular company they would have to answer to their board or CEO.  With crowd funding they have to answer to the crowd as they become the oversight as primary, actual or potential investors.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    People get way to excited... way too early.  If there is a game I think is viable, I donate some coin and put it on the back burner and check in periodically.  Some of them are coming along nicely, but I'm not holding my breath.  I never donate anything I'm not prepared to lose, and I don't let it stress me. 

SC comes when it comes, if it comes.  Do I want to lose the money, no.  However, I consider it lost as soon as it leave the account.

I self identify as a monkey.

mgilbrtsn said:

Like my gambling money.
    Isn't that basically what Kickstarter is? Gambling for video games rather than cash?
    Herase said:
    Axllow18 said:

The problem is the majority who post don't care about if it affects the industry or gamers or whoever, most care that at the end of the day they can say "I told you so". Few have even admitted they post to get a rise  out of fans. 

I think sharing you view and opinions on a project is great, but some of these guys are looking high and low for what ever they can find to prove their point and why they are right. They're doing it for their own needs not for the players, games or industry. This is probably my whole problem with these kind of threads.

I doubt we will see someone say: "I told you so". I think most people here are aware of the fact that Chris Roberts will release something, whatever that may be.

Will it be the promised multi-genre-jack-of-all-trades game? I doubt it.

- Michael Bitton

- SEANMCAD

Axllow18 said:
    mgilbrtsn said:

Like my gambling money.
    Isn't that basically what Kickstarter is? Gambling for video games rather than cash?
    Which is why I dont gamble there. I prefer gambling for cash and purchasing finished video games.
    Exactly.  If you can't afford to gamble, don't.  If you don't like the gamble, gamble somewhere else.  I will say that kickstarter isn't bad.  I've had several things pan out (not video games).  It's all in what you decide to gamble with.  Do you hit that 13 or no.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    CIG Austin

After only 3 years working on the Alpha Concept (PU 2.0), marketing, selling ships and decorating the offices around the world we have entered the planning phase for 2016 in February of 2016. Some cynical people might say, "it's a bit late to plan for 2016 when it is already February", to them i say, "It's ONLY February, there is plenty of time this year to finish the plan."

You have this section highlighted with bold. Can you please direct me to the monthly report where the team tells us such a thing ?

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Axllow18 said:

So, everyone else should behave as you do, simply because.......you do? Ahh, but that's right, you don't give a shit about WoW. So that makes sense. However, there are still some people that give a shit about a promised space sim. Even if they haven't invested in it.
    Axllow18 said:

So, everyone else should behave as you do, simply because.......you do? Ahh, but that's right, you don't give a shit about WoW. So that makes sense. However, there are still some people that give a shit about a promised space sim. Even if they haven't invested in it.
    I think it's ok to care. I don't think it's not great if you obsess and let it get to you.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Planning is suppose to happen before you even start the game or kickstarter not after.I don't think anyone is surprised,nothing has seemed organized or professional.
    BTW i originally said incompetent was not likely but i jumped over the fence not long after.
    I some how think it doesn't even matter to the supporters,it almost feels like H!Z1,they don't care if they are playing one map same cycle content over and over all day everyday.

No big deal to me really,i never gave the guy any money and never will.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Planning happens in phases.  You don't have a 5 year plan that sticks.  You have an initial plan, then you revise it every so often to keep it in line with reality.  They had to have a plan, otherwise they wouldn't have been as far along as they are.  I don't know, but I'm will to bet that he wasn't saying that this is the first plan, but merely a current plan moving forward.  

I think people are looking that the words too literally.  Common sense says that there has been some planning.  you don't get that many people together and start coding without plans.

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    edited February 2016
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Planning happens in phases.  You don't have a 5 year plan that sticks.  You have an initial plan, then you revise it every so often to keep it in line with reality.  They had to have a plan, otherwise they wouldn't have been as far along as they are.  I don't know, but I'm will to bet that he wasn't saying that this is the first plan, but merely a current plan moving forward.  

I think people are looking that the words too literally.  Common sense says that there has been some planning.  you don't get that many people together and start coding without plans.
    Not sure where you heard this? A good company will normally have short and long term goals right from the get go. Ten year goal is not unheard of. But then again this isn't normal, this is people/gamers putting trust in CR. From what we know about CR, his goals can change at a drop of a hat. 

Will just leave this here.

I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    edited February 2016

Greetings Citizens,

2016 is here, and we’re ready to rock! We kicked off the month with a series of summits in the UK and Los Angeles to prepare for the new year. There’s still one more to go, an AI summit in Frankfurt happening next week, but we’re ready to take on 2016! Now that our i’s are dotted and our t’s crossed, we’re ready to continue getting some great content out to the community. Specifically: going forward, you can expect to see regular updates to the Star Citizen Alpha. We are shooting for one significant patch each month. Expect to see this cycle repeated: numerous PTU test patches followed by a live release and then a lull as content for the next patch is prepared and integrated. As I write this, the team is working on content for Alpha 2.2. Expect to hear more about this release very soon! Meanwhile, here are the specifics of what each Star Citizen studio was working on in January…

This is how the monthly report starts.

[mod edit]

Post edited by Amana on
    Brenics said:
    mgilbrtsn said:

Not sure where you heard this? A good company will normally have short and long term goals right from the get go. Ten year goal is not unheard of. But then again this isn't normal, this is people/gamers putting trust in CR. From what we know about CR, his goals can change at a drop of a hat. 

Will just leave this here.

You can have a 10 year plan, but it is very, very general.  You have more specific plans as time passes.   That's how the government works and how companies work.  If you look at Japanese companies, some of them had 30 year plans.  They didn't have a 30 year plan and merely tweak it yearly.  They had plans within plans as time passed.

The military has multi year plans, but you have sub plans regularly during the entire period.

As for SC specifically, I'm not in the planning, but I'm just going with what I believe to be logical.  I could be wrong and the whole thing could be done with only a very broad goal in mind.  However, I don't see how this can be.

Axllow18 said:

No people can behave however they want. However when they turn around and pretend not to be invested in their side of the argument I like to call them out for what they are. A liar.

If you are trolling a game to the point that you are in every thread even remotely connected to that game you have something invested. If you are pushing a game and apologizing for every fuck up of the devs you have something invested. It's nothing to be ashamed of, you have an axe to grind and it's transparent to anyone on the outside looking in.

I personally hope the game takes another 2 years to hit beta just so I can continue to have flame wars to read for my amusement.