Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WildStar -A great effort!

AtaakaAtaaka Member UncommonPosts: 213
After finally having time to review the NcSoft game, WildStar, I am quite content with not 'missing a thing'. 

NcSoft is one of my trusted gaming companies and has my highest level of respect, admiration and loyalty. I can not help but feel that WildStar, a dream that happened far too late in time, is out-of-date. 

I truly wanted to not feel stoic -if that is even possible and sided on the fact that everything is already done. 

As I plowed through fifty quests and looked down at my progress, I nodded and thought, 'Ok...Level 10 isn't that bad for four hours of play'. Then I decided, if this were the year 2000 it would make sense. So, I deleted my character and tried a new class... same results. While I didn't expect to reach end-game in four hours, I expected to feel my class divide from being 'noob' to class development. After deleting my third character, I realized that my first character felt more like my play style, Engineer. So, within a couple hours, I was staring at level 10 again... nothing spectacular, just one of many levels.

I then decided to look at end-game play and saw myself repeating level 10 over and over again in my mind. 

The classes are awesome! The lore is superb. The content is endless... nothing short of NcSoft's genius. But... I'm still level 10. 

Level 10.... Level 10....

For those who enjoy the game, there is nothing wrong with that, I speak for myself. I'm going to put the game on the shelf and wait for the next NcSoft release. 

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Too much emphasis on level 10 lmao,i couldn't care less about my level in a game if i had my way nobody would gain more than 1 level a week,it should be treated as aging not some numbers game.

Example in life nobody is the same,we are all different,what we do in life determines our aging process,to simply treat knowledge  and skills and aging like a number is just wrong and all rpg's are doing it.

Two people could both spend 500 hours in a trade,it doesn't mean both are going to be 100% identical,matter of fact they are likely to be on complete different levels of skill.

End game??Another really bad concept,where in life do we ever mention the term end game,so why does this term even exist,well developers have no clue how to recreate a living world with role play.

We all want to like or love these rpg's but in reality they are giving us about 25% of what a mmorpg should be giving us.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Wizardry said:
    Too much emphasis on level 10 lmao,i couldn't care less about my level in a game if i had my way nobody would gain more than 1 level a week,it should be treated as aging not some numbers game.

Example in life nobody is the same,we are all different,what we do in life determines our aging process,to simply treat knowledge  and skills and aging like a number is just wrong and all rpg's are doing it.

Two people could both spend 500 hours in a trade,it doesn't mean both are going to be 100% identical,matter of fact they are likely to be on complete different levels of skill.

End game??Another really bad concept,where in life do we ever mention the term end game,so why does this term even exist,well developers have no clue how to recreate a living world with role play.

We all want to like or love these rpg's but in reality they are giving us about 25% of what a mmorpg should be giving us.
    I'm sort of convinced that the only MMORPG that you like is FFXI and anything that is different is bad. 

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    edited February 2016
    I loved it hard and fast but got board quick. I found that I was playing a game of avoid the tetagraphs then I was playing a game with combat. Boss fights at first were awesome but after a while only thing I saw on the screen was tetgraphs and there was some complex patterns but once you knew the pattern was as bad a scripted fight in FF.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    When I read the intro about NCSoft being the OP's most trusted studio I knew this was a gag post and stopped reading.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Kyleran said:
    When I read the intro about NCSoft being the OP's most trusted studio I knew this was a gag post and stopped reading.
    That's exactly where I put the "period" in it too.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Wizardry said:
    If you dislike one of the core pillars of RPG design, why are you playing RPGs?

("I only dislike it a little" is a valid answer.  "I hate it but keep playing RPGs repeatedly" is a ridiculous answer.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

If you were to have taken your eyes off of the level gauge and played the game, you might have found yourself having a little fun.  Players now days pay too much emphasis on rushing to end game, and how long it is taking them to get there.  I never liked Wildstar myself but I must, in all fairness say, that allowing a "level gauge" to dictate how much fun one is having playing a game is a miserable barometer by which to gauge the level of fun in a game.  
  • VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413

If you were to have taken your eyes off of the level gauge and played the game, you might have found yourself having a little fun.  Players now days pay too much emphasis on rushing to end game, and how long it is taking them to get there.  I never liked Wildstar myself but I must, in all fairness say, that allowing a "level gauge" to dictate how much fun one is having playing a game is a miserable barometer by which to gauge the level of fun in a game.  
    And here is a core issue dividing MMO player segments today. Huge portions seem to miss the advice offered in the canard, make your job your hobby. If the primary ingredient of your enjoyment from a game comes from your progress and advancement through it, you are playing the wrong game.

The reason (old people typically) offer said advice is because we've lived through the experiences that taught us that progress and advancement are but a tiny portion of the enjoyment you'll get from a game (or job). Chasing the golden carrot is the primary tactic used to confuse and mislead the weak willed.

When you object to "the grind" that you find in games, you are saying that the CORE mechanics of that game do not appeal to you! What clearer sign do you need to tell you that this is not the game for you?
  • n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496
    Kyleran said:
    I can't quite understand why people post under OP that they don't even read. It seems like they want somehow to appear smart in a weird way.

Even if it is kinda off topic NCSoft has one of the best portfolio of games in the industry.  OP also said that it is his trusted company and they gained his respect.

You are talking in absolutes and that makes you look like a fool.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    edited February 2016
    Kyleran said:
    I must admit I smiled at the "trusted studio" remark.  Still, he may actually mean it, you never know.  I have the game but wasn't going to pay a sub for something that I felt I'd already played for a couple of years.  Everything was soooo familiar I could play the game half asleep and I rapidly got bored.  I don't think I've even booted the game up in several months.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    edited February 2016
    Strange that people have a negative view of NCSoft.  While Lineage was a ridiculous grind, most of their other releases have been fine (and about half their lineup they're just the publisher, and it's always been weird to me how players have strong opinions about publishers who generally don't have a ton of influence on a game's quality.)

Even some of their 'misses' were games I enjoyed seeing released: Auto Assault was a great attempt at innovating in the genre rather than rehashing the same old formula.  While AA wasn't all that fun and flopped, I sort of still want a persistent Mad Max world to trick out a monstrous war-vehicle in.  Admittedly it faces the typical problem where players want a human (or human-ish) face to their characters (and caving to that player desire was likely a huge reason AA failed; they had to split efforts between car and person segments, and both were mediocre as a result.)

As for Wildstar, I had a reasonably good time with it though I think the aesthetic was was gradually wore it out for me.  Around the same time I was playing ESO too, which basically had the exact opposite direction in world design (ESO was focused on building a serious and elaborate world, Wildstar was going for pure fun.)  While I'm not against pure fun (TF2 and WOW aren't exactly grim/serious aesthetics), ESO definitely resonated better with me.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• netglennetglen Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Interesting game, but I didn't like the healing aspect of that game. Having to shoot people to heal them or trying to get the whole team to fit within a field, cone, or column gets old real fast.
  • netglennetglen Member UncommonPosts: 116
    All that game needed to be was to not be this ...
    ---->----->------->-------->-------------------->----------->
    Had it been more of an open world without linear quest guidance, and much more challenge (i..e, tougher mobs), it could have been quite the game.
    I guess they expected players who wanted more of a challenge to PvP flag themselves so they can be ganked while questing. Questing overall felt like one long FedEx delivery service.
  • Phixion13Phixion13 Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Its 10-20 hours for max level.... that's not even during the double experience events they have. If you need help try Gamerphix.com