Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Syndicate Celebrates Its 20th Anniversary -

ShelassaShelassa MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 616
edited February 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe Syndicate Celebrates Its 20th Anniversary -

Online gaming community The Syndicate is celebrating its 20th anniversary. Calling itself "the most successful online gaming community in online gaming", the guild holds a Guinness World Record for the longest continiously operating online guild. In addition, there have been two books published about The Syndicate and much, much more.

Read the full story here

Comments

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    After playing mmo's for 16 years now I can say that is quite an impressive feat. While I don't remember seeing this guild much if at all within my mmo time, they were probably just on different servers. I've been in dozens of guilds and even co-led two guilds in the past, it is no easy feat.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Was with them in UO for a while on Atlantic , a really great group of well organized , active friendly, knowledgeable , helpful people .... Grats Syndicate ...
  • Ammon777_newAmmon777_new Member UncommonPosts: 306
    edited February 2016
    Does anyone else remember an old game called the Syndicate? Was pretty cool. Im showing my age. MS-DOS was the OS of choice back then, LOL. edit -- Anyway, grats to these guys.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Does anyone else remember an old game called the Syndicate? Was pretty cool. Im showing my age. MS-DOS was the OS of choice back then, LOL. edit -- Anyway, grats to these guys.
    Yeah, at first i thought this was about that game, dystopian futuristic kind of thing, don't think i've ever seen them in any of the games i played in, Everquest, WoW, FFXIV:ARR, Eve, Planetside 2 etc. But then again, never heard of them before either.
  • DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    edited February 2016
    The only thing I have ever herd of these guys is if you make a group call "the syndicate" or the like they will threaten legal action. Screw these guys right in the ear with a red hot poker.

• DalgoreDalgore Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Congrats, I remember the Syndicate in Everquest. They resided on Tarew Marr.
  • BanegrivmBanegrivm Member UncommonPosts: 262

The only thing I have ever herd of these guys is if you make a group call "the syndicate" or the like they will threaten legal action. Screw these guys right in the ear with a red hot poker.

They have a nefarious reputation to be honest. Every time this site posts journalism about this guild it ruins their credibility. Their known for telling bold faced lies and pulling "fast ones". Like saying that they are the oldest guild in the history of MMO's because they managed to trick Guinness Book of World Records (who by their own admission doesn't actually know anything about MMO's or the history of MMO's or gaming for that matter) into putting it down in their books that they are the oldest guild out there. So how does a group ignorant of the history and knowledge of MMO's and guilds suddenly become an authority? They aren't.

Their are guilds out there older than the Syndicate. Guilds from NWN on AOL are STILL out there today and supercede the Syndicate by a number of years easily. They aren't the oldest. They're just a PR machine, and don't believe a word you say about retention rates. Anyone who has lead a guild long enough knows better. People come and go. Guilds have their core membership typically after lasting long enough, but there are always people that don't see guilds as a family or friendship and just use them up and move on to the next one with a mercenary attitude.

Granted I will give that they have survived 20 years and that IS a credit. My own guild just turned 16. However, I would have hoped they would have been more graceful and shown some humility. Not act like a bunch of school yard kids thinking like they've earned some imaginary bragging rights. It's hard to command respect when you act like a thug.

Banegrivm
    Leader of the 1st Fist of Light
    www.1stfistoflight.com

• TheRabidsmurfTheRabidsmurf Member UncommonPosts: 146
    I thought they just played connect dots with the name? With current members bing at most 9 years together...could be wrong. Proof of a good guild is also people knowing the name positively.
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    I think the bullet points sum up the ego of that guild.
  • WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699
    ...and here I am only having been struck by lightning 66.64 times... damn

Truth is so called gaming communities like this are composed of a hand full of core members and everyone else is just filler.

just look at their website. Most of the games = HOWEVER... for this game we are NOT recruiting new members.

Typical elitist nonsense...

For these "global gaming communities" it's mainly a business, and unless you were one of the early adopters or founders you are merely churn... a mere cog in a giant machine.

They are all about selling themselves as opposed to genuinely cultivating a game community where membership is actually meaningful.

For a gaming site to actually sensationalize such nonsense is just pitiful!

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...