Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online - DUST 514 and Legion died

ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,294
edited February 2016 in EVE Online
"Dear DUST 514 Community,

CCP’s development team in Shanghai has been working on a prototype for a first-person shooter for PC with the goal of building a great FPS set in our sci-fi universe of New Eden (the universe in which EVE Online, DUST 514, EVE: Valkyrie, and Gunjack are set). Their experience is being utilized to build a new game from scratch using Unreal Engine 4 while harnessing all our learnings from DUST 514. This is in many ways an evolution of Project Legion, the concept we announced at EVE Fanfest 2014, but without the limitations of technical debt and development paths we quickly discovered in that effort that could never serve as a future-proof technology base for a full production game. This new project is still in an early phase of production, and we feel like we’re on the right track and plan to give an update at EVE Fanfest on April 21st as a part of the free livestream of the event. Since this new game will be different from DUST 514 (although keeping many of its great parts), we will provide tiered recognition rewards to our loyal DUST customers, details to be announced.

We are very proud of what we’ve learned and accomplished with DUST 514 on PlayStation 3 over the past three years and it is an honor to be a part of such a dedicated community. We consider DUST 514 one of the best free-to-play offerings on the platform, but the years have caught up with us. It is with a heavy heart that we inform you that DUST 514 will be shutting down on May 30th, 2016. We therefore will not be releasing the 1.3 update as we had planned. Players will continue to be able to play for free on our servers until then, but all further PSN packs and purchases have been removed and disabled from the in-game marketplace and the PlayStation Store. Players with existing Aurum will be able to continue to purchase items from the in-game marketplace.

Thank you for being a part of DUST 514 on the PlayStation 3. We look forward to the next chapter, and hope you’ll be a part of it and continue the journey with us.

-CCP Frame"

https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=225484

R.I.P.

Have fun

Post edited by Erillion on

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Not really much of a surprise, if anything, the only real surprise is that Dust514  is still around at the moment. Perhaps things would have been different if it had been a PC release, as a  PS3 release only, was a fail of not just epic, but legendary proportions.
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    As your "Have fun" sounds quite cynical I can't help me but have to mention that CCP at least failed making DUST 514 with money they earned and not donations.

Anyway, the decision to make DUST514 a playstation only game was already the first nail into its coffin. The idea to integrate planet warfare into a space sim was a great one. The implementation not so much unfortunately.
  • StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    All I can say I had 0 interest due to not being on PC, otherwise I would 100% buy just to support CCP if nothing else.
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    CCP. They have something so preciouss and have no clue what they have. Anything they touch since EVE is turning to DUST (pun intented).

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,294
    Interesting that they put BOTH Dust AND Legion into the ground. And started a third iteration.

Have fun
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited February 2016
    Glad i never spent a cent on that game, but sad to see it discarded instead of ported/rebooted. THey went the way of the dodo by going only for the PS3 at the end of its lifespan. They should have made the game for PC, then port it to PS4 later. I hope that is the case with the new game. I will play the new version if it has the third person perspective that Dust had in lobbies, it was really well animated. WHy they didnt add the third person in matches was beyond me.

Oh, and while they are at it, they should put a price on the game and no cash shop. F2P will be a total ruin with the way CCP monetize their games.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    EvE is slowly dieing also.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • pinktailzpinktailz Member UncommonPosts: 173
    space a$$hole simulator company shutting down another game.. I'm gonna cri
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    who care for Dust 514 ? when Project Legion incoming !
  • docluedemandocluedeman Member UncommonPosts: 11
    pinktailz said:

Prehaps you should learn how to spell first?
  • BigRamboBigRambo Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Dust 514, a beautiful concept when first announce a decade ago, but so poorly delivered.  CCP should concentrate on expanding EVE-online WITHIN EVE-ONLINE.  Not creating 40 stand alone spin-offs.   Star Trek Online is garbage, but at least they got the concept of ground / space combat WITHIN one game right. 
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited February 2016
    This company stumbled into success with EVE, but beyond that, have shown themselves to be complete amatures
  • DXSinsDXSins Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Wasn't it setup from the start to die?... release on a generation by generation platform and released at the end of a generation and never got updated to the next...

Also PlayStation and PC have a health relationship... if it was xbox i would understand no PC. They didn't release on PC because they can never call it a dead platform and would need to continue development without the excuse of platform.

Project Legion... so now they want the pc player base.. after ignoring them lol. Guess the console market wasn't all they expected it to be.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,294
    who care for Dust 514 ? when Project Legion incoming !
    Legion is dead too. See the original article.

They try something new.

Have fun
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    Elsabolts said:
    Well yes, at the present rate if decline (which recently reversed for some reason) we should see it shut down around 2026.

Not a problem, the giant asteroid hits us in 2029 ending all life on earth, so not too long to be bored.  :p

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413
    My only real concern has always been whether they will create a game like Dust or devolve into CoD. I had to pass on Dust due to platform choice, but I'd positively LEAP at a FPS with depth on the PC. I actually bought a controller specifically for that reason, tried some Planetside 2. 

Regardless, anything they develop is years away. Oh well.
  • rifleman223rifleman223 Member UncommonPosts: 25
    edited February 2016
    The game's mechanics weren't that good anyways. I mean, I like the concept.

EVE is going down hill (was for a bit, actually) since the age of space simulators came. Rather than excel spreadsheet back end based MMORPGs.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    pinktailz said:

Prehaps you should learn how to spell first?
    Prehaps you too?

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,048
    Elsabolts said:
    Why would you say EvE is dying too ?
    Chamber of Chains
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    cheyane said:
    Elsabolts said:
    Why would you say EvE is dying too ?
    Wishful thinking, he's still got his panties in a bunch CCP never created a PVE only server.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I can't see how they will finish anything with their history in letting players dictate far too much in how they expand their game, as well as monetize it. They seem to have hit a downward spiral ever since the monocle gate situation and the outcome of it (scrapping plans to expand EVE in both the sale of virtual goods, as well as expanding game-play options.) Obviously their main plan to increase revenue was micro transactions at the time. As well as rely on MT in Dust. One plan was all but scrapped, the other a failure. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    edited February 2016
    Erillion said:
    Players with existing Aurum will be able to continue to purchase items from the in-game marketplace.
    But no refunds... In other words we're sorry we're doing this to you...

But not THAT sorry, LOL! suckers!

Oh... and buy the next thing, please? pretty please? We'd NEVER do this to you, AGAIN! (heh)

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.