Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

H1Z1: Dev Team Splits to Create Two Separate Games

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Entris38 said:
    On sale for 14.99 right now on steam also for any interested.
    I'd rather buy the virtual popcorn
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Team H1 and Z1?
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

SBFord said:

adderVXI said:

So I bought early before, now there seperating and I need to buy another?

Nope. It's for current and future purchases through Feb 16.

Oh lawdy! Thats awful! Goons gonna get mad!
    Now where did I see another game getting split into two for a quick cash grab...

*coughs*
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277
    What I don't get is... did they hire more devs? If not, I don't understand how this changes much of anything. The same amount of people are still working on the game, presumably. If it was simply a matter of "well, now these devs have only survival mode to work on," then why wasn't that division of labor just made on the existing team?

Oh, right. They can't charge new customers $20 for that. I have a pretty strong feeling the survival servers will shutdo---- err, excuse me, the "Just Survive," servers will be shutdown before it ever gets out of "early access". I don't think this was always the plan, but rather they did not anticipate how popular Battle Royale would become. What is even worse is that Battle Royale only became as popular as it did because Survival was in such a horrid state for so long.

Oh well, another one bites the dust. I will just go ahead and say goodbye to EQ Next while we're here.

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

• Sassy_Gay_UnicornSassy_Gay_Unicorn Member UncommonPosts: 316

svandy said:

What I don't get is... did they hire more devs? If not, I don't understand how this changes much of anything. The same amount of people are still working on the game, presumably. If it was simply a matter of "well, now these devs have only survival mode to work on," then why wasn't that division of labor just made on the existing team?

Oh, right. They can't charge new customers $20 for that. I have a pretty strong feeling the survival servers will shutdo---- err, excuse me, the "Just Survive," servers will be shutdown before it ever gets out of "early access". I don't think this was always the plan, but rather they did not anticipate how popular Battle Royale would become. What is even worse is that Battle Royale only became as popular as it did because Survival was in such a horrid state for so long.

Oh well, another one bites the dust. I will just go ahead and say goodbye to EQ Next while we're here.

An apt analysis. The ambiguity from the release email tells the whole story if one takes into context the development history. A snippet:

Q: When will H1Z1: Just Survive and H1Z1: King of the Kill come out of Early Access?

A: H1Z1: King of the Kill will be coming out of Early Access and will launch on PC, the PlayStation® 4, and Xbox One in summer 2016. We do not have an official release date for when H1Z1: Just Survive will be coming out of Early Access; stay tuned for updates!

So now there will be little to no advancement on Survival with the reason being that they are working full force on the BR summer release. Promises will be made that this time they really, really, super pinky swear that once it is over they will get back to the Survival game.

Only that won't happen because why invest resources into an ever emaciated player base?

By December they will close the servers down.

Eh, I paid $10 for it and had fun. Hopefully someone else will pick up the mantle, saw a forum poster here advertising a private Rust server, may check that out.

I don't blame them for following the most lucrative path, I just wish they would cut the disingenuous bullshit.

And hopefully I am totally wrong, would love to be so. But I've been dealing with this company for 17 years now. I'd be a fool to be optimistic.
  • donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    This is just a gimmick to try to repackage and resell a game most people have already forgotten about at this point. Even though I already have the game I doubt I'll be able to bring myself to recare enough to even download it. So far this whole Daybreak thing has been exactly what I expected. It is just an attempt to squeeze whatever money they can out of something Sony already paid for. I don't see much of any progress on anything especially EQN which we were told they had planned to shift focus to heavily this year.
  • TheAsianVillainTheAsianVillain Member UncommonPosts: 85
    H1Z1 better be a cash-cow for EQNext
  • jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180
    This company is so un-professional. This is the reason why gamers are so pessimistic about supporting new games these days. Companies like Daybreak do not realize how loyal the gaming community could be, if they would come through with their promises.

H1Z1 was initially supposed to be an "open-world" sandbox survival zombie game. They said that the current map was only 1/10th of what the final sized map would be. This company was supposed to build upon that premise, but their focus changed to a set pvp arena. They have lost so many customers, and built up so much negative feedback.

So now, the current developement team that was supposed to deliver the originally promised H1Z1, is now cut in half. How does this appeal to both playstyles? The original promised game was thrown aside after a month of alpha developement, by the whole Dev Team. Now they are halfing the team, and making more empty promises about the game. They never even gave the original game premise time to develop. It is very difficult to have faith in a MMO Gaming Company these days.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    DMKano said:
    This to me sound like a game mode, not a separate product.
    I think I have seen that "mode" word somewhere else recently... yup, found it... on the Star Citizen KS page:

• Squadron 42 - A Wing Commander style single player mode, playable OFFLINE if you want

I guess H1Z1 is going through one of those "change of scope" things :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    I always thought the developers group should be more creative than the marketing department, not the other way around. I'm not sure when that has actually changed. o.O
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Next up - log in servers game mode. You'll have to pay to get in to be able to pay. 

Can we stop splitting games into separate "modes" nonsense and actually create a complete feature rich product for one fee? Too much to ask? Gotta chase the next fad and make bank quicker so they can move on to the next big thing i suppose.
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    They "split" the game and will now focus all dev resources on the new game that players can buy, so they make a good impression and then dump both.
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
    Iselin said:
    DMKano said:
    This to me sound like a game mode, not a separate product.
    I think I have seen that "mode" word somewhere else recently... yup, found it... on the Star Citizen KS page:

• Squadron 42 - A Wing Commander style single player mode, playable OFFLINE if you want

I guess H1Z1 is going through one of those "change of scope" things :)
    A change of scope would require them to actually have one.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    I laugh at this whole thing.

DBG was dragging development of this title along at an extremely slow pace, while promising the moon the stars to get people to keep buying the thing. For more than a year.

So now they are "splitting" the title so they can sell it to people twice.

Yeah, no.

The day does not exist when I'll give these scammers 10 cents of my money.

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220
    Zen00 said:
    adderVXI said:
    So I bought early before, now there seperating and I need to buy another?
    It's the same deal that Star Citizen is doing right now.
    Sure, but Star Citizen it was known long ago that this was how it was.. people are just daft and are looking for reasons to criticize
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited February 2016
    Yep they saw how easy it was to make money with a severely1/4 "not even" finished H1Z1 so they are hoping to cash in again.

There is a severe lack of respect shown to gamer's here as they have been CLAIMING this game is in early access,so now they are abandoning that development stage only because cash flow has slowed down since their initial cash grab phase.

Ever since Smedley started the cash shop in EQ2 then full soe CS it has been terrible effort after terrible effort,they have not finished a single thing since.Even Planetside is not even close to being a game now closed,but they saw how easy it was to make a PS2 so cashed in again,now nothing on that game either.They started an initial cash grab on a TCG then after the huge initial influx they folded that as well.What did they get for the millions of players they had in that kids game...3 years max then shut it down.

I also LOL@ the notion they have a TEAM big enough to split in two,they really must think we are stupid.If over the last year that was a large team working on H1Z1 they need to fire everyone of them.
    Oh yes and what happened to this early access game called Landmark...all finished?This operation lies so much to the public.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Robokapp said:
    whens the F2P launch?
    You are funny
  • MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    ...and neither of them will be any good.

/thread
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 757
    The day that post went up was the day I was proven wrong and could actually dislike Smed even more.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    I have no idea how much I paid for this game ages ago but whatever it was, the game definitely wasn't worth it.

Even cod zombies is way more fun that this game.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    At first I thought it might be a good idea, but started to think,

1) the main game isn't even complete yet.
    2) Splitting the team when the content updates are already slow for the survival mode, so not a great idea. 3) Imho the games separated aren't worth, but together they're great. They would need to up their game with both modes and jam back it full of things to do.
    Thourne said:
    The day that post went up was the day I was proven wrong and could actually dislike Smed even more.
    I damn near sprayed coffee on my monitor trying to contain my laughter. The man is so out of touch with what he thinks his audience is. But he's just to arrogant to see it. I wonder who he blames for the demise of SOE. Certainly not the man in the mirror.
  • krakonator76krakonator76 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    All you people crying about it being split or screaming "cash grab". Those of you that have the game, have any of you actually been following the game at all? The original plan was that the game was going to be f2p with a cash shop for both modes. I dont think its a cash grab at all and a smart move to split the game because lets face it, people prefer one mode over the other. Although i have the game already and have played both modes. If i was to buy the game after Feb, i would prefer to pay $20 for unlimited time in the chosen mode i pay for (with more modes possibly coming), than the original plan of buying tickets from Daybreak to participate in a few Battle Royales
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    im still waiting for h1z1 to be a complete game

its been a year already.. 

now they wanne make 2 games?

FCK you guys!! you cant even make 1 game LOL