Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

H1Z1: Dev Team Splits to Create Two Separate Games

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2016 in News & Features Discussion

Daybreak Game Company has announced that development on H1Z1 will be splitting into two separate teams to create two wholly different titles that share the same universe.

H1Z1: King of the Hill will be a large-scale multiplayer shooter with a variety of game modes, including some with vehicles playing a central role and seems to be aimed at eSports. H1Z1:KotH will launch into Early Access via Steam this summer and will be released for PC, PlayStation 4 and XBox One.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• thunderclesthundercles Member UncommonPosts: 510
    edited February 2016
    Flames incoming. Popcorn for sale!
  • adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    So I bought early before, now there seperating and I need to buy another?

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

Wouldn't think so. That would be extra dirty.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

adderVXI said:

Nope. It's for current and future purchases through Feb 16.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

edited February 2016

SBFord said:

adderVXI said:

Nope. It's for current and future purchases through Feb 16.

Oh lawdy! Thats awful! Goons gonna get mad!
  • adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    Good deal, I'm reading this on my small phone and was hoping I missed something.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    The cash grab is strong in this one.

@adderVXI I was wrong.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    H1Z1 has never been a sandbox game.  I bought this game for the kids, but I think I have played it more than them.  According to the kids, there are far better zombie games out there.  Seems to me that gamers can get pretty burned out on zombie games, just no variety.

I think Daybreak is just tilting at windmills with these changes.  I am far more interested in what they are doing with EQNext.  I just think that any resources they put into this series of game is a waste.
  • BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Anything that gets more attention on the PvE portion and away from the counter-productive Battle Royale i'm all for. I bought into this for the survival game and PvE not for the damn Battle Royale.

Now if they could just remove the creative aspects from Landmark and actually give us some PvE content there as well.

Too many cooks in the kitchen is a problem SOE had, good to see Daybreak has the guts to seperate them, problem is i'm sure this will piss alot of people off so they need to handle it with kid gloves and have a good game plan for both products.
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Hell if it works for Star Citizen to pressure people into buying by splitting the game into two halfs, why should't H1Z1 follow suit...

Its the new black in preorder hell money grabs...
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Because separating into 2 titles worked so well for SOE/Daybreak. F#%KING #FAIL. Get these guys TF outta here. Whoever makes these decisions needs a lobotomy. Imibicilic.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Flames incoming. Popcorn for sale!
    I'll take 2 please!
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    On sale for 14.99 right now on steam also for any interested.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    I'd imagine things are going to be a bit quiet over at the "vanilla" H1Z1 version...

Most likely DBG will be pulling out all the stops for the "early access" launch of the new version. That EA launch will no doubt come with the usual "Founders Packs" and some kind of upfront cost. It will be F2P at some vague point in the future, but during EA you have to pay for the privilege of being one of the first...
  • MordithMordith Member UncommonPosts: 210
    Not sure why the negativity. If you already have the game you get both games. As for the split, if you like BR, the new KotH may suit you. If not, then it's business as usual.

Note, I am not saying I like the game, but if you do, then nothing really changes or negatively effects you.
  • UrncallerUrncaller Member UncommonPosts: 167
    I always felt they should do something like this because as i watched the inital live streams when H1Z1 first was released for early access they were constantly talking about King of the hill this king of the hill that...I was like just make a damn zombie king of the hill and focus on H1Z1 as a survival mmo so goods news imo that they are doing this if a little late but still.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Early access games with microtransactions now becomes two early access games. Godus adds godus wars with $5 hidden within the game. Star citizen splits with squadron 42 and sells more ships.

So much for early access and kickstarter being the positive indie alternatives to greedy publishers.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited February 2016
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Hmm, this looks like a trend in managment for some time now. If you have problems, split it in two parts.

The well known good bank, bad bank method. Conventional energy, new energy company. Squadron 42 single player campaign and PU. Happens everywhere. The good (aka profitable) part gets further investments. The bad part causing whatever problem or not promising profit is left over to die.

So, what do you think which part is the good bank of H1Z1 from DGC point of view ? Not hard to imagine.

Btw, may I get some popcorn too ? ;)

• HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414
    So they are making two separate titles?
    H1Z1: The stuff we have finished.
    and
    H1Z1: The stuff we hope to finish.
    Please buy both!
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Make game. Sell it.
    Now, take the game, mod some parameters a little bit. Sell it as another title.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Methinks they've been watching Chris Roberts do his thing with SC and SQ42 :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Zen00Zen00 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    adderVXI said:
    It's the same deal that Star Citizen is doing right now.
  • Sassy_Gay_UnicornSassy_Gay_Unicorn Member UncommonPosts: 316
    That's it, Survival is done. Only a matter of time till they close shop on it.