Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR - Less MMO, More RPG Than Ever Before -

2»

Comments

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    klash2def said:
    Its a MMO but I think they redesigned the rules for what MMO actually means. Just like Destiny.. its in the same box.
    Heh, well you know, if you can't fit inside the box already built; rip that sucker apart and glue it back together around yourself.  I mean, technically, it's still the same box... sort of...
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    LOl the game was ALWAYS a single player game with a login screen,most of these games are.
    The ONLY reason a login screen exists is so that developers can get MOT "money over time" instead of old traditional pay once and game is yours.

My worst memories of many games are like AOC /SWTOR/WOW is they all feel like single player games.You might say no big deal we have been playing single player games a long time.That is true but if you have paid attention to the last 5+ years,single player games are giving us top notch graphics these games are not so they are giving us half assed single player games.

FFXIV gives us better graphics,BDO nothing else really,EQ2 still is better looking than most of these games because it uses more lighting effects making materials look more realistic.

So until a developer puts some effort into their games,the only thing separating them will be graphics.To be honest people are better off playing single player games,better game play,better looking worlds,no MOT money over time spending.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    So basically Bioware should have just stuck to what they knew. From the beginning. Like everyone suggested.

Now they should just go B2P and watch the money roll in as people get to play it for what it really is and always should have been, a massive-sized KOTOR.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    SWTOR was the biggest disappointment in my many years of MMO gaming. I was so hyped to play this game. I learned a lot from the launch of the game and here's what I learned:

1. To never trust the word of beta players. I decided not to beta test it so that the game would be fresh for me.
    2. Never buy a collector's edition without trying a game out.

Once I did get to play the game, I found that it was way too exploration restrictive, the crafting was horrible and the questing for alts was mind numbing since you had already been through the side quests with your main and other alts. I had high hopes for the game and was let down so bad. After a long hiatus, I decided to try the F2P model and found it to be truly bad since they restricted it way too much. I think bioware has the potential to fix things, but I believe the use of the Hero engine will always keep them from excelling long term.
  • CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419

Dr.Nicktu said:

I think I see why they may have gone down this path, and that is the fact that most guilds ether don't work or they fall apart. I have joined so many guilds just to find no one is ever online or the peeps in the guild want to just PvP or raid and if you dont want to do that your just not a part of it. Also I have also found that so many peeps just want to do speed runs and not clear all the content and enjoy the raid or dungeon which I like to do. So I think BioWare looked at the guilds and saw how many were really active and found it was vary few. The large maturity of the peeps are playing solo already so they just made it solo friendly which I think makes it a better game.

This is my impression as well. A smart dev will design for their player base. It probably didn't take much datamining for them to realize that the core game play was the solo story content, not the dungeons and raids they had stuck on so they could check those boxes at launch. Making Flashpoints and Heroics soloable is another clear sign that the majority of people who play SWTOR play solo.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    So at the urging of two friends, I resubbed to SWTOR about a month ago and I've been playing it a few times a week.

Let me just put this out there.  This game is absolutely, incredibly, not even exaggerating at all, in any way shape or form, stupidly easy now.  

I'm not joking when I say that I don't think I could die outside of raid content or throwing myself off of a cliff.  I have gone into a Heroic 2+ that, in the past, I would just barely survive an encounter with a phenomenally geared companion.  Now I can pull multiple groups of mobs and sit in the middle of them while making a sandwich and when I come back I'll still be at full health.

Also, leveling is now insanely fast.  When I quit last time I had an operative that I had only leveled to around 23.  I did nothing but the Heroic missions and the class story on every planet after I came back and I was level 65 before my class story was over.

There is a absolutely, positively no challenge in this game whatsoever outside of Nightmare Mode raids.
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Dauzqul said:

"Half the MMO it used to be."

true that , almost every called mmo in last 5 years are SP games with MP
  • SanisarSanisar Member UncommonPosts: 135
    IMO with how easy the combat is now it just detracts from the story anyway. Why not just go all the way and make it into a telltale game.

With the state of their game engine SWTOR was never going to be able to reliably have more than a dozen people on screen at once without performance hits.

I suppose they are kind of stuck with it as an MMO, since that's what it was initially sold and marketed as, but it's really closer to an online co-op rpg like the original guild wars.

Sure there are technically MMO elements in there, but Bioware has completely abandoned raiding. PvP battlegrounds still exist but even in those small maps with 16 players there is a significant performance drop on reasonable machines. They don't make traditional dungeons anymore. The expansions get progressively less and less non-story content yet the cash shop is updated constantly.

Frankly, I did buy the last expansion and I was more disappointed in myself then when I bought call of duty: ghost. I know some people love this game, but calling it an MMORPG demeans the word to me. I would respect the game more if they would just call it an online corpg.