Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For those complaining about B&S' lack of content...

Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
http://www.bladeandsoul.com/en/news/rising-waters-arrives-february-10/

Here you go. More on the way next week! :D

After a successful Blade & Soul launch, we're not sitting on our laurels! Our next big content drop will be arriving on February 10, and includes:
  • Mushin's Tower: a single-player instanced dungeon
  • Bloodshade Harbor: a 4- or 6-player epic dungeon
  • Nightshade Harbor: a 24-person epic dungeon
  • Hongmoon Level 5
Over the next two weeks we'll be talking in-depth about each of these content pieces, so make sure to regularly check our website, follow us on social media, and watch our dedicated livestreams on Twitch.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Comments

• heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    They certainly say history repeats itself when the lessons are not learned.

I think this website is that concept dialed up and refined to the point of perfection.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    INB4 "That's just a few instances that people will clear in a week!" 
  • svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277
    I don't think that is the real problem with Blade and Soul. The problem is - why do them at all?

I have said this in a few other threads, so at risk of sounding like a broken record - why did they even make this game an MMORPG? It is clearly a fighting game, and the half-baked attempt at making an MMO only holds it back. Hell, as a $20 fighting game I'd play the hell out of it (if they removed tab targetting, gear, etc), but all the needless layers of nonsense around it just leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

• nycplayboy78nycplayboy78 Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Yeah this game is 4 years old and we (US/NA) well those of us who waited for the English port are playing major catchup. They want to have this game in competitive E-Sports League(s). We don't even have the full compliment of classes yet we are missing two classes.
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    svandy said:
    I don't think that is the real problem with Blade and Soul. The problem is - why do them at all?

I have said this in a few other threads, so at risk of sounding like a broken record - why did they even make this game an MMORPG? It is clearly a fighting game, and the half-baked attempt at making an MMO only holds it back. Hell, as a $20 fighting game I'd play the hell out of it (if they removed tab targetting, gear, etc), but all the needless layers of nonsense around it just leave a bad taste in my mouth.
    "if they removed tab targeting"

Blade and Soul doesn't use this system.  
    svandy said:
    Uh... for fun, outfits, and materials to upgrade your gear. Sort of like what players do in every MMORPG. 
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    svandy said:

Well they did not need to call it "mmo", they could have just said multiplayer online rpg but then people would end up calling it mmorpg anyways. Take the 1st M of "MMO" as loosely as possible and play the game for what it is. And also just play with B&S control instead of classic control and there won't be any tab target.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Blade and Soul has fun combat. It's fun to manage skills (it could use a lot more tree variation). The OWPVP is ass. The loot system (bidding) in dungeons is idiotic. It completely limits progression in PUGs where a simple round robin and trading system would have sufficed. Arena PVP is cool but it gets real repetitive for me personally. I care about the story I'd like to know what happens, but beyond this... this game needs ESO styled campaigns (can't take dobok off, and no channels) or something so players who like to fight can entertain themselves between content cycles. 
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Blade and Soul has fun combat. It's fun to manage skills (it could use a lot more tree variation). The OWPVP is ass. The loot system (bidding) in dungeons is idiotic. It completely limits progression in PUGs where a simple round robin and trading system would have sufficed. Arena PVP is cool but it gets real repetitive for me personally. I care about the story I'd like to know what happens, but beyond this... this game needs ESO styled campaigns (can't take dobok off, and no channels) or something so players who like to fight can entertain themselves between content cycles. 
    For me the owpvp got a lot better in moonwater.    level 45 area,  fights last as long as arena. and you get quest to actually kill each other.  
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Glad to see your "MMO" is getting some much needed "single player" content....
  • thyraventhyraven Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Turned 45 yesterday, had a good time leveling, was exited. Today im thinking about stop playing. My god what a horrible endgame this game has.
  • Zen00Zen00 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    edited February 2016
    Meh, I prefer it to not have a lot of content at launch, gives me time to reach max level with one or two characters, get all the max gear, and be prepared for the next content drop. I've played about 1-4 hours each day since launch and am still only at level 40.

I think the only people who are complaining are A. The content locusts, B. Those who had a head start on their characters, and C. People who no-life the game.
    Post edited by Zen00 on
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Zen00 said:
    Meh, I prefer it to not have a lot of content at launch, gives me time to reach max level with one or two characters, get all the max gear, and be prepared for the next content drop. I've played about 1-4 hours each day since launch and am still only at level 45.

I think the only people who are complaining are A. The content locusts, B. Those who had a head start on their characters, and C. People who no-life the game.
    Those are the usual suspects on every MMO.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Looking foward to the update. 

I just hope they keep them coming. One thing I always loved about TERA was how quickly it got content updates. 
    goboygo said:
    Glad to see your "MMO" is getting some much needed "single player" content....
    Did you miss the other two bullet points or were you just ignoring them?
  • Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    I tried this game during one of the free beta weekends, but couldn't get into it. The cut scenes and generic questing made me feel like I was playing a single player RPG. I'm tired of theme parks. The combat was okay, but I didn't fight anything challenging. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more had I progressed further, but I couldn't bring myself to keep playing.
  • QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    I honestly found the game as shallow as a dinner plate.  Sure, the combat was fun and engaging but the entire game is built around one, very narrow aspect of a traditionally MMO.  I think it would have been better served as a strait arena-combat game where you have an optional 10-20 mission training campaign to familiarize you with the combat system and then try to push into the e-sports arena.

Everything outside of the PvP is just a shell, an afterthought and it's very apparent, at least to me.
    Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Quesa said:
    I honestly found the game as shallow as a dinner plate.  Sure, the combat was fun and engaging but the entire game is built around one, very narrow aspect of a traditionally MMO.  I think it would have been better served as a strait arena-combat game where you have an optional 10-20 mission training campaign to familiarize you with the combat system and then try to push into the e-sports arena.

Everything outside of the PvP is just a shell, an afterthought and it's very apparent, at least to me.
    I'm still waiting to play that themepark MMO with the immersive story and expansive features, because all the ones I've played had you digging through 10 piles of poop (literally).

You can take your long-winded SWTOR spoken dialogue, or your house you can spruce up in Wildstar, or whatever other supposedly deep features other MMOs have, and I'd trade them gladly for a great combat system and great pvp.

Everyone just seems to hate themeparks.  I don't blame them because I hate them too, but until someone actually comes up with a quality sandbox, this game will do just fine.
    Teala said:
    svandy said:

It uses a soft targeting tab target system, just like ESO. Don't believe me? Try firing off your skills at an untargetable tree and let me know how it works out. Glad you like the game, but don't misrepresent it. The combat was still fun, but there are so many elements of the combat and the game as a whole that were added in to "make it an MMO," that only hold it back.

edited February 2016
    svandy said:
    Teala said:
    svandy said:

It uses a soft targeting tab target system, just like ESO. Don't believe me? Try firing off your skills at an untargetable tree and let me know how it works out. Glad you like the game, but don't misrepresent it. The combat was still fun, but there are so many elements of the combat and the game as a whole that were added in to "make it an MMO," that only hold it back.
    What you are aiming at is what you're targetting.  It has nothing to do with tabbing and you can't lock onto targets.

Saying you can't use skills on non-intractable objects has nothing to do with what targetting system the game uses.
    edited February 2016
    What you are aiming at is what you're targetting.  It has nothing to do with tabbing and you can't lock onto targets.

Saying you can't use skills on non-intractable objects has nothing to do with what targetting system the game uses.

It says quite a bit about the targeting system. It says wether or not you miss an attack boils down to numbers, provided your crosshair is on the enemies hitbox. This is most obvious when an enemy begins a slow attack on you, and you attempt to move out of the way, but unless you use a designated dodging or blocking skill, you will get hit. Some of the animations are slow enough I can literally walk out of range, but it doesn't matter because they fired off the skill before I moved. That is lock on targeting. Call it whatever you have to in order to justify the game not having lock on targeting, but it most certainly does.

If you look at games like Dark Souls and Bloodborne, or even less popular ones like Dragon's Dogma, you will see true action combat. If the animation doesn't connect, the hit doesn't land. I haven't played Tera in a long time, but I am fairly confident that this is how it works in Tera also. Hell, even Wildstar has a less restrictive targeting system than Blade and Soul. I only put any quality time into Kung-Fu Master, but the amount of skills I had that as long as the enemy I wanted was highlighted would connect no matter what is ridiculous. I believe there is even a "Classic Mode," where it doesn't use the action camera, and it is literal tab targeting (though I haven't tried it, I could be wrong).

I don't understand why fans of this game just utterly reject criticism. It is as bad as GW2 was at launch, and considering the state of Blade and Soul compared to GW2, it is mind boggling. Just because the game is a popular E-Sport doesn't make it a good MMO. It makes it a popular E-Sport.

EDIT: To clarify, I don't think the combat in Blade and Soul is bad... far from it. A little floaty and unresponsive, sure, but I also use a Steam Controller so that could contribute to it. What I am saying is that this game could have been so much more if they just gave up the guise of being an MMORPG and just made it an arena brawler with classes and costumes.

svandy said:
    Teala said:
    svandy said:

I can fire off skills at a tree. I'm not sure how that vindicates your opinion though. 
    I can fire off skills at a tree. I'm not sure how that vindicates your opinion though. 
    You need a selected target for a large number of skills (AKA non AOE skills). This is provable fact, not opinion. But believe what you want.

svandy said:
    You need a selected target for a large number of skills (AKA non AOE skills). This is provable fact, not opinion. But believe what you want.
    You said I should attack a tree for some reason. I did. 
    edited February 2016
    svandy said:

It says quite a bit about the targeting system. It says wether or not you miss an attack boils down to numbers, provided your crosshair is on the enemies hitbox. This is most obvious when an enemy begins a slow attack on you, and you attempt to move out of the way, but unless you use a designated dodging or blocking skill, you will get hit. Some of the animations are slow enough I can literally walk out of range, but it doesn't matter because they fired off the skill before I moved. That is lock on targeting. Call it whatever you have to in order to justify the game not having lock on targeting, but it most certainly does.

If you look at games like Dark Souls and Bloodborne, or even less popular ones like Dragon's Dogma, you will see true action combat. If the animation doesn't connect, the hit doesn't land. I haven't played Tera in a long time, but I am fairly confident that this is how it works in Tera also. Hell, even Wildstar has a less restrictive targeting system than Blade and Soul. I only put any quality time into Kung-Fu Master, but the amount of skills I had that as long as the enemy I wanted was highlighted would connect no matter what is ridiculous. I believe there is even a "Classic Mode," where it doesn't use the action camera, and it is literal tab targeting (though I haven't tried it, I could be wrong).

I don't understand why fans of this game just utterly reject criticism. It is as bad as GW2 was at launch, and considering the state of Blade and Soul compared to GW2, it is mind boggling. Just because the game is a popular E-Sport doesn't make it a good MMO. It makes it a popular E-Sport.

EDIT: To clarify, I don't think the combat in Blade and Soul is bad... far from it. A little floaty and unresponsive, sure, but I also use a Steam Controller so that could contribute to it. What I am saying is that this game could have been so much more if they just gave up the guise of being an MMORPG and just made it an arena brawler with classes and costumes.
    Skills are locked on when fired, but the target is not locked on for follow up, unlike ESO with soft-tab-targetting or games with full-on tab-targetting.

"Tab-targetting" means just what you think it would mean- you hit tab to target things.  That's not what happens in this game.  Tab in this game is often your escape move and there is no button at all to target things.

Not only that, but most of the moves require prerequisite moves to be usable.  It's the "combo" nature of the game that really sets the combat apart and makes it more like fighting games than usual MMO combat.

Also, I'm not "utterly rejecting criticism".  I'm simply pointing out that you're wrong when you say it has a soft-tab-target system and people describing it as action combat are being disingenuous.

Sure it's not FPS-like combat like Darkfall or Dark Souls, but it's certainly nothing like Tab Target either.

Finally, I really don't see how the game would be "more" if they ditched the whole MMO part of it.  By definition, it would have less.