Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What AAA MMOs Are Being Made That We Don’t Know About Yet? - Bill Murphy at MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageWhat AAA MMOs Are Being Made That We Don’t Know About Yet? - Bill Murphy at MMORPG.com

The MMO genre is absolutely one of the most lucrative in gaming, with millions of players around the globe, across PCs and now consoles. But there’s one thing publishers and investors realize after a decade of chasing Azeroth… you can’t replicate what WoW managed to do. That said, everyone knows that long-term returns on investment can be gained with the right project. Today, we’re going to look at AAA studios I expect are making a new MMO, even if they haven’t announced it yet.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Sassy_Gay_UnicornSassy_Gay_Unicorn Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Would love a Borderlands or Fallout MMORPG.
  • A1learjetA1learjet Member UncommonPosts: 258
    I will 2nd that a Fallout MMO would be super!!! Crap the zones are simple enough to figure out the whole Earth.....If they add PVP (which im sure they would) you have more then enough factions...

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Pffffttt...

They're all working on new MOBA's or MOBA hybrids !

And given recent trends, no doubt some of them have some concept-stage survival games on the drawing board. Maybe even a survival/MOBA hybrid.... o.0
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    "The MMO genre is absolutely one of the most lucrative in gaming"

Not true.
    If anything its the genre that is responsible for death of several big respected game developer companies.
    And even if it was true before. It is not anymore.

I know we like to keep the hope alive. And after all a site about mmorpg's surely needs to pump its own wares. But if anything, today word MMO is a cue to run for the hills among development circles.

In any case, these companies are developing something. But it surely is not MMO as its known here.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I would add Turbine to the list.

They've got a good history with MMOs, most have been successful in their own way, even if they aren't blockbuster. Its been a while they last released an MMO so they are "due".

I do believe that the success of ESO on consoles will have opened up the way for more developers to start pushing console releases. There hasn't been any big successes on PC for years now, but ESO sold many millions of copies on consoles which should open the eyes of other big publishers to the lucrative possibilities. I think it far more likely that we'll start seeing traditionally console-focused developers start moving into the MMO world.

With that in mind, my wishlist includes:

* Gears of War Online
    * GTA Online (proper MMO, not what shipped with V)
    * Hyrule Online
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    I.think Riot and Amazon will make mmos, the others are doubtful in my mind.
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Super Smash Brothers World - just run around punching everyone in the face and since it's an mmorpg add in a cash shop with punch power potions, the better potion you buy the harder you hit.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    This was an awesome idea for an article. ;) Good read.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Riot/Gamesworkshop = HEAVEN!
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited February 2016
    One of the biggest problems this genre has faces in the past 10 years has been the misconception that innovation was needed. When it became obvious that WoW had managed to do something unexpected, everyone rushed to reproduce it. But they couldn't To this day, what made WoW successful remains elusive. However, when new ones started to fail next to WoW, everyone was saying "same old same old" Thus....."Innovation" It became a buzzword that was misused and overused.

But innovation isn't always the perfect solution to issues. In fact, in order to innovate, many times, you have to lose something to move in the direction you want. This genre had plenty of tried and true systems and mechanics that work. No one did anything with them. What we got was 10 years of bullshit "innovation" What new system or mechanic since WoW has been introduced to the genre that really stands and makes us say "That's awesome"!
    Dynamic Events?
    Mega Servers?
    Phasing?
    Non-trinity based mechanics?
    Deep character driven stories?
    single / dual person content?
    All these things are all well and good, but they do not bring us back to log in every day.....day after day after day. What does that? Probably the easiest question to answer and yet one that has been ignored by developers. We need lots and lots of different shit to do. I don't care if it's new or old, as long as it breaks monotony. New games, fail hard at breaking monotony. Anything on the horizon.......well. We'll just have to wait and see.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    There is no point to another AAA MMO until the market shrinks period. WE need to stop trying to get another MMO built until then.
  • FranciscourantFranciscourant Member UncommonPosts: 356
    Looking forward for World of Legends!
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

They've got a good history with MMOs, most have been successful in their own way, even if they aren't blockbuster. Its been a while they last released an MMO so they are "due".

I do believe that the success of ESO on consoles will have opened up the way for more developers to start pushing console releases. There hasn't been any big successes on PC for years now, but ESO sold many millions of copies on consoles which should open the eyes of other big publishers to the lucrative possibilities. I think it far more likely that we'll start seeing traditionally console-focused developers start moving into the MMO world.

* Gears of War Online

* Hyrule Online

Eso hasn't sold many millions on consoles, the most successful mmo on xb1 is NeverWinter Online and on PS4 it is Eso but it's not millions of players.

• Zen00Zen00 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Viva Pinata MMO, 'nuff said.
  • Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Riot will not leave the competitive scene. A shooter MOBA or even an RTS has a better chance of conception. Even if they make an MMO it won't be something the regulars here would enjoy. 
    Our future MMO gaming  lies with the independent crowdfunded projects. Unless one of those projects hit a financial homerun you can't expect any new AAA game to your expectations and that has less chance than Godard making a box-office hit. Better make our peace with it. 
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
  • lindhskylindhsky Member UncommonPosts: 162
    I would really be happy if a studio tries/gets the chance to do Another Warhammer Fantasy game with a lot of classes, big World, Three realm war and also good PvE. And even better if they made it a hard game.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Great article!
    This is just the content i expect from this site :)

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Looking forward for World of Legends!
    I'd definitely look into it.
    Then again, it'd be a weird disconnect from LoL when you're playing an OC instead of a canon character. :D

Although Blizzard pulled it off successfully when going from WC3 to WoW. So why not eh?

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Volgore said:
    Great article!
    This is just the content i expect from this site :)
    I... I can't... are you being sincere, Vol? SHAME ON YOU. :pleased: 

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• mnemic666mnemic666 Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Honestly, I don't think anyone is working on another 9 figure budget MMO nowadays. By now everyone has realized how risky they are and that nobody will be able to catch the elusive WoW Bux that everyone has been after.

Amazon? Looks like they're continuing to focus on their mobile initiatives, and it would hardly be the first time we've seen big name talent from MMO's move to work on mobile projects.

Gearbox? Beyond doubtful, they're likely going to push for more of the multiplayer content in the next Borderlands, but they're too busy chasing the comparatively cheaper League of Legend Bux with Battleborn.

ZMO/Beth? Again, doubtful. Even if ESO is doing well now, I think they realized how hard they got burned on it initially and aren't looking to repeat those mistakes. Nobody really asked for an Elder Scrolls MMO and nobody is really asking for a Fallout MMO. Heck, the lack of even simple co-op in Fallout 4 sends a pretty strong signal that they're not looking to take the franchise online any time soon.

Riot? Possibly, Tencent is massive and they love their online games. But honestly I think it's far more likely that they're going to be releasing more games that are simply online rather than MMO's. Cheaper to develop, cheaper to maintain, far less risk etc.

We'll keep seeing the MMO publishers/developers put out occasional MMO's, even if many are pivoting to smaller scale online games right now as well, and the import publishers a la Aeria and the like import underwhelming Korean/Chinese games, but I think the age of the AAA MMO is paused. After WS, and especially SWTOR and ESO failed to light the world on fire, major publishers who would fund that type of thing are definitely taking a long, hard look at whether or not the risks are worth it.
  • NordicApacheNordicApache Member UncommonPosts: 134
    A lot of good guesses and theory crafting here! I dig it! Would love to see some, if not all of these companies put out some more IP's!
  • knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389
    Any developer out there thinking of making an MMO need to make sure they think of something new. Problem is .. what is new... if I were a developer thinking of new ... I would do Sci Fi .. not a lot has been done there. With the right ideas this could take off .. Remaking and following the current trends is just being a copycat and does not make anything new. Sure it is new looking ... but it is the same that everyone does.
    I can only hope that current and future developers come up with different ideas than the ones out there.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

* Gears of War Online
    * Hyrule Online
    Thought Turbine was bought and gutted for the name?
  • SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788
    I doubt there is a single MMORPG being developed and not announced anywhere right now. Plenty of quasi-'MMOs', but nothing remotely close to fitting the traditional 'MMORPG'.