Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let's Play with Gazimoff - EVE: Valkyrie

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2016 in Videos Discussion

imageLet's Play with Gazimoff - EVE: Valkyrie

Our own Gareth (@Gazimoff) Harmer has been spending a lot of time inside of CCP Games' Valkyrie, the dogfighting arcade shooter based in the EVE Universe and Oculus Rift launch title. Watch as he tours you around the game and gives you an idea of its ins and outs. NOTE: The reason for the 4:3 aspect ratio is because the recording only records one eye's feed - while playing it would be in 1080p. Read more on the site! - http://www.mmorpg.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Can i just say : this is beautifully awesome!!! Will it have same sandbox mechanics as EVE online, except for killing everywhere of course, a few safe sectors in space can't hurt right?

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• warsaber1375warsaber1375 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    I was wondering that too, or is this some kind of space arena tipe game?
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Sadly, or not depending on who you ask, it's purely an arena game. 

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• GazimoffGazimoff Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 225
    Currently, it's a space dogfighting arcade shooter set in the EVE universe. Although a lot of the art is similar, there's no intrinsic link back to EVE Online like there is with Dust. That's not to say it'll never happen, but CCP Newcastle is focusing on making the combat game solid, before working out anything else.
    Player of games, smither of words, former of opinions, and masher of keys. WildStar Columnist
    Currently playing: WildStar, Guild Wars 2, EVE Online, Vain Glory.
  • CrimsonFalkonCrimsonFalkon Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Hope friendly fire isn't an issue or I is going to have a lot of upset allies :(

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Just an arena? Owwww... :(

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290

Gazimoff said:

Currently, it's a space dogfighting arcade shooter set in the EVE universe. Although a lot of the art is similar, there's no intrinsic link back to EVE Online like there is with Dust. That's not to say it'll never happen, but CCP Newcastle is focusing on making the combat game solid, before working out anything else.

VR is just taking its baby steps, but we can dream about a future where the immersive space combat of EVE Valkyry is combined with the amazing indepth sandbox persistent experience of EvE online. Such an experience, powered by next gen VR, could potentially be extremely satisfying.
    Just an arena? Owwww... :(
    I'm really hoping that CCP include a PvE campaign, even if it drops in some time in the future. If not (and because Valkyrie uses Unreal 4), I hope they release some modding tools to the community. I think some player-made campaign content and an interesting mod scene could be a pretty neat win.
    Player of games, smither of words, former of opinions, and masher of keys. WildStar Columnist
  • ZandilZandil Member UncommonPosts: 252

Sadly, or not depending on who you ask, it's purely an arena game. 

Bit more that that, it also has a single player campaign which hasn't been shown off to the public or us Alpha testers.

http://www.polygon.com/features/2016/1/18/10776080/eve-valkyrie-oculus-rift-virtual-reality-alpha

• stiz4shizstiz4shiz Member UncommonPosts: 14

Shana77 said:

Gazimoff said:

VR is just taking its baby steps, but we can dream about a future where the immersive space combat of EVE Valkyry is combined with the amazing indepth sandbox persistent experience of EvE online. Such an experience, powered by next gen VR, could potentially be extremely satisfying.

Have you guys ever heard of Elite Dangerous? It's pretty much what you just descrbed. Skill based dogfighting style combat with a massive map to explore. I think they said it has something like 400 billion different star systems. And they just released an expansion that allows planetary landings. All with oculus VR support. It's not a perfect game...it lacks in a few areas but, worth checking out if you're into space sims.
  • vanderghastvanderghast Member UncommonPosts: 308
    ugh just an arena? NO THANKS. Who do we have to bribe to get a decent space combat sim with a single player campaign like descent freespace.
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    That was a mediocre review. A good review would have compared Valkyrie to the CQC in Elite: Dangerous and to the equivalent in Star Citizen. Without comparisons a review is almost useless because everything is relative.

Angry Joe, Mack (of Worth a Buy), and TotalBiscuit would most definitely have mentioned the similarities and differences, and that's why these people are ruling the review scene from their PCs at home and beating the professional companies. It's not just because they are 'personalities' - thoroughness comes naturally to them so they make it look effortless - even though a lot of 'work'(!) went into it.
  • pinktailzpinktailz Member UncommonPosts: 173
    this game may entertain only hardcore 150 kg sci-fi space nerds xD
    edited February 2016

pinktailz said:

this game may entertain only hardcore 150 kg sci-fi space nerds xD

Even though the 'arcade action' is an attempt to target the 'mainstream'! If so, CCP won't be pleased because I suspect Valkyrie compares unfavorably with the real hardcore sci-fi games.
    That was a mediocre review. A good review would have compared Valkyrie to the CQC in Elite: Dangerous and to the equivalent in Star Citizen. Without comparisons a review is almost useless because everything is relative.

I hate to break it to you, but this isn't a review - it's some first impressions of a game still in alpha. Reviews happen when the game actually launches (although, in this case, it'll probably be Early Access launch in March). 
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071

Shana77 said:

Gazimoff said:

@Shana77 keep your ear to the ground; they are out there.

Nice first look. One of the reasons I find this game so intriguing is the setting: so many ships and structures in the Eve universe are nothing less than iconic, having been around for over a decade. Playing this in VR must be a new way to truly get a sense of scale.

A bit of constructive criticism: 4 maps seems a little anemic; are they planning more for release? I've also never been a big fan of grind; it will be interesting to see how this interplays with the alleged microtransactions.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

Gazimoff said:

I hate to break it to you, but this isn't a review - it's some first impressions of a game still in alpha. Reviews happen when the game actually launches (although, in this case, it'll probably be Early Access launch in March). 

Comparisons are necessary in order to form any sort of opinion at all.

I suspect this is a sponsored sales piece. The bias was deliberate and financially motivated.
  • eury2eury2 Member UncommonPosts: 41
    edited February 2016
    oculus rift is way to expensive and all these websites trying to claim that oh its not expensive its a new way to play games like the xbox one and ps4 so why not a $600 price tag well technically no all it is is 2 tiny monitors that are linked a head tracker and a controller based off the wii motion system..... $600 good luck ..... I'd rather pick up a brand new glock or ak47 or many other things like a gtx 980 for example ....... i mean the technology has already been done in the RC world with the fat shark HD with headtracking and those only run 350 ish bucks