Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC Beta First Impressions

Comments

• linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589
    The biggest problem with the beta is they locked way too much down in it and didn't allow people to explore more of what they game offers, perks were locked, more of the skills and wings were locked, crafting was locked, there wasn't many missions or things to do outside of encounters and then the dark zone while interesting is getting prone to hacking. They need to make sure that there is no client side storage for things like ammo (people been hacking in ammo) and make sure invisibility can't be bugged etc into the game before they try and launch it.

These companies that keep doing beta need to realize that locking them down so much that we can't actually see certain aspects of the game even a little bit (how about an intro to crafting hello?) just means some people are going to sit on the fence and wait for more info on how particular systems work etc.
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

This game looks cool right up until a guy wearing a t-shirt soaks up 3 magazines of 7.62x39. Sorry, but I work in Afghanistan, so I can tell you that looks comically ridiculous. There is a way to make a game like this interesting without making the bad guys simply eat a hundred rounds of ammunition before dying.

What is your idea for difficulty scaling to the size of the party? I see a lot of people complain about 'bullet sponges', but when you ask them for a solution, they have nothing to say.

mmoguy43 said:

I played the beta for a few hours and I'd say this "First Impression" is fairly accurate without going into as much detail as some of the other posters.

It's probably the most empty MMORPG you will play with how barren the city streets are, especially in the non-DZ areas. Honestly, if you don't intent to play the DZ often with friends, you are not going to get your money's worth. I did a fair amount solo roaming, hunting as a group, and going rogue but it wasn't as thrilling as I hoped.

They took a lot out for the beta. Including a lot of mob spawns. Unfortunately, it appears as though the 'open world' aspect of the game is solo, or group play. You can't bump into any randoms unless you're in the dark zones.
  • linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589

This game looks cool right up until a guy wearing a t-shirt soaks up 3 magazines of 7.62x39. Sorry, but I work in Afghanistan, so I can tell you that looks comically ridiculous. There is a way to make a game like this interesting without making the bad guys simply eat a hundred rounds of ammunition before dying.

It's meant to be more like an mmorpg with dps and health and the like. It's not just a "shooter" so there is a bullet sponge scenario happening to make it semi more mmorpg like. It works well the way it is for what it is trying to accomplish and makes sense with how gear etc and the dark zone is set up. If it worked like a traditional shooter it'd be bad design and the dark zone would be entirely useless unless they made sure you didn't drop any loot... It's a shooter that takes things from MMORPGS like gear, stats, dps, etc and applies them pretty well.

You need to not approach it from the typical FPS / shooter outlook and consider it as something different or you are going to be like "ugh". I assure you the design is done the way it is intentionally and them eating that many bullets works well for it. Think about typical shooter, headshot insta kills, botters everywhere. In this game that situation would lead to no one being able to get gear out of the dead zone cuz some dick is just sitting there camping the extraction zones and they'd literally have no chance.

It adopted the MMORPG/RPG like elements because of how typical shooters tend to play out and it's meant to play out entirely different. This is a "shooter" for the mmorpgish crowd, not for the "fps" crowd...
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    If you want a straight up shooter this game isn't for you. If you are looking for a game that drops the RPG element I recommend checking out Black Ops 3 or one of the many other shooters.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

blamo2000 said:

How are the rpg elements such as character building? Is every character the same besides equipment, and how deep is the rpg character development system if there is one. No real mention of this from anyone above.

Also ZagoatoMKR stated it ha a console UI for the PC version. I hate that with a passion. Is this game going to have mod support so PC players can fix the console bullshit or is it what it is and that's it?

None atm all premade and no rpg element to it at all
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

DAS1337 said:

What is your idea for difficulty scaling to the size of the party? I see a lot of people complain about 'bullet sponges', but when you ask them for a solution, they have nothing to say.

ok well there are scopes and zoom for head shots that do absolutely nothing. A headshot in the game is not a critical or instant kill its just a damage pool hit. I was sitting on a roof with a high dps bolt action rifle and 12X power scope and clearing spawns on the streets below with very little effect. 20 or 30 headshots to kill a mob my level or less.
  • BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    Roin said:
    If you want a straight up shooter this game isn't for you. If you are looking for a game that drops the RPG element I recommend checking out Black Ops 3 or one of the many other shooters.
    While that is solid advice, I also am finding that kind of design unappealing.  It seems really difficult to make bullet-sponge gameplay enjoyable, and this is not the first game to use this approach to combine RPGs and shooters (destiny, borderlands).

Not that I have a better solution, mind you.  I will watch some twitch after it comes out, but this one may not be for me.  I just wish there was a better way to do these RPG shooter hybrids.
  • rapatpamprapatpamp Member UncommonPosts: 144
    edited February 2016

psiic said:

DAS1337 said:

ok well there are scopes and zoom for head shots that do absolutely nothing. A headshot in the game is not a critical or instant kill its just a damage pool hit. I was sitting on a roof with a high dps bolt action rifle and 12X power scope and clearing spawns on the streets below with very little effect. 20 or 30 headshots to kill a mob my level or less.

Weird I was using a rifle I found (green) with a scope and was one-shotting guys.

Could be some hit issues with weapons or such.

Was a beta after all.

psiic said:

DAS1337 said:

This is an absolute lie. I was using a M44, for those who don't know what that is, consider it an semi-auto sniper rifle. I was hip firing and killing normal mobs in 2-3 hits. Head shots nearly killed them outright. Now, that changes if you are fighting an elite mob or a dark zone mob. They are meant to be harder to kill, because they offer bigger rewards.

I still don't see a solution to the 'bullet sponge' mechanic. You ignored my request and attempted to lie to everyone here.

Baitness said:

Roin said:

While that is solid advice, I also am finding that kind of design unappealing.  It seems really difficult to make bullet-sponge gameplay enjoyable, and this is not the first game to use this approach to combine RPGs and shooters (destiny, borderlands).

Not that I have a better solution, mind you.  I will watch some twitch after it comes out, but this one may not be for me.  I just wish there was a better way to do these RPG shooter hybrids.

So, you don't like MMO's then? Because most MMO's have this mechanic. Mobs health scaled to increase difficulty.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    edited February 2016
    the beta was ok- the division had too many 'invisible' walls (iam not talking about beta restrictions) made the world limited. ill give it a go upon release todo the campaign...but i did like the third person perspective

ill be sticking with dying light = has a better world and mechanics all around- it has what the division is offering and zombies!
    Post edited by orbitxo on
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Baitness said:
    Roin said:

For a start they could have different hit areas that aren't just part of the same health and armour pool. So for example:
    Chest shot = Normal damage, but large and easy to hit. Also likely to be highly armoured.
    Head shot = Damage direct to HP. Can have a helmet to absorb several small hits or one bit hit (sorry snipers).
    Arm shot = Lower accuracy and can't do specials (i.e. throw grenades) for a while. Low damage.
    Leg shot = Slow movement speed, can't sprint. Low damage.
    Special = Special hit locations that cause additional effects / damage. Some enemies already have this.

This way there is some strategy to fights, especially if the enemy is strong. For example a powerful enemy with an SMG many like to rush the player(s) and get in close for maximum damage, but shooting him in the legs will slow him down for a bit and allow you keep some distance.

Point is the only strategy at the moment is aim for the head and hold down the trigger. It was boring in Destiny and it is boring here.

• Rockinw311Rockinw311 Member UncommonPosts: 146
    edited February 2016
    A few hours into the beta, I really started to draw a lot of parallels with Assassin's Creed's design. No, I don't think this is a shooter version of AC, but it seems to have heavily borrowed from it. It's not really a Tom Clancy Destiny either though.

If I were describing it to someone else, I'd say it's something of a love child between AC, Destiny, and maybe one of the other Tom Clancy games (for combat? I didn't play those, so trying to figure out a good comparison for that 3rd piece/combat in The Division's gene pool ...)

For the AC similarities, the 'feel' of it, to me at least, started to really come in as I was playing the second evening, a few hours in. The main story arc, the side missions, the random encounters (i.e. guard spawn type stuff from AC), the 'chest' looting, the gearing up (similar, but starting to drift further away from AC), the pvp/arena 'end game' (although done in a persistent world/Dark Zone, and with pve tossed in to make it more pvpve)

Yes, I realize many games have those things, but the way it is done in The Division, it 'feels' like AC, again, to me at least ...

Granted, I've also only played up to (but not including yet) AC3 in that series. But the 'feel' of those earlier ACs is there, heavily, to me at least

Just surprised to see nobody else really mentioning the similarities, or having that impression themselves, in this thread at least. As others have mentioned, a lot is locked out of the beta currently, so just going by my own First Impressions, in the spirit of the article
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Baitness said:
    Roin said:

Yeah it's a love it or hate thing. Some people really don't like RPG elements mixed into their game type. I can't think of a good cover based shooter off top of my head. Outside of the Gears of War series.

There really needs to be more cover based shooters. Big shooter fan but the one thing that has always bothered me. Not being able to take proper cover, or lean up against a wall to peek around corners.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• rapatpamprapatpamp Member UncommonPosts: 144

Roin said:

Baitness said:

Roin said:

Yeah it's a love it or hate thing. Some people really don't like RPG elements mixed into their game type. I can't think of a good cover based shooter off top of my head. Outside of the Gears of War series.

There really needs to be more cover based shooters. Big shooter fan but the one thing that has always bothered me. Not being able to take proper cover, or lean up against a wall to peek around corners.

I remember really enjoying Rainbow 6 Vegas 2.
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Roin said:
    Baitness said:
    Roin said:

I get where he is coming from. The Division has a genuine look and feel of other shooters. Also, since it is set in the near future you kind of expect that there is a low time to kill as other shooters. But the more you play the more you realize how much RPG it is, unloading multi mags in elite npcs or well geared players. It was just harder to accept than in the sci-fi shooters like Borderlands, Defiance, etc.

Maybe at launch when news comes out of what you can do instead of the demo-beta constantly reminding you what you can't, I'll take another look. For now, I'll wait.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,957

ZagatoMKR said:

Trying beta only made me more concerned about PC version of the game. UI elements are designed for consoles and left the same for PC version. Why do devs do that when PC and console are very different platforms? I have no idea. Also there are so many buildings in the game world but only a very few are accessible with very limited intractable objects. Lots of stability and optimization issues. Hopefully by the launch, most issues will be sorted out (somehow I doubt it though). Also the cut out portions of the game make me think that it will be a DLC-fest.

Cheers.

And don´t forget the Cash shop. Ubisoft is starting to love that too! So expect that to be added to the game as well. /Shrug
  • jmalminjmalmin Member UncommonPosts: 44
    1 thing i liked the way you can build up a base. what I hate. lots of deadtime, Area way to small. You will be done way to quickly. Hate the PVP in this game. so 3 things I do not like and 1 thing I find intresting. so this game is a no buy for me.
  • nomadienomadie Member UncommonPosts: 172
    "It’s original" That made me laugh. This game feels like Destiny had sex with Nether while cheating on Nether with Day-Z and made this mess. The Dark Zone can only have 24 players at any given time so say you have 12 friends you now pretty much own the Dark Zone... It felt really boring with the really slow respawn rates for AI mixed with not many AI on the map. The pvp is purely level based and item based and has little to no skilled needed which can ruin pvp, you and 3 friends can show up and a dude who is much higher level with better gear can just kill all 3 of you like it was nothing. Great idea for a game but with the lack of balance in pvp and little AI to find in both pvp and pve it got really boring fast.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    I have to say they did a good job at recreating manhattan as a setting, wure it is not a 1:1 recreation but i keept street view open on my Ipad next to me and often found that the view from my character was eerily close to what i saw on my ipad. Now that is not to say that there is not a million details that diverge and the scale as i said id a bit off and some sections are missing. But at the same time there is a million little details put in to sell you the idea that this is in fact manhattan.

The game is also a competent tps and for a short stresstest beta it provided a lot of content if one did all the side-missions (not to mention that i love the operator who speaks with you) and explored the entire map. And i know someone said you feel more like a government sanctioned looter than a survivor... that would be because that is what you are. You are part of a grey ops outfit tasked to find out what happens and  help retaking the city from the gang that quickly moved in after the disaster. 

The game also scale really well as i could play it on my i3 with 8G of ram and a 550Ti (on low and windowed for sure) with a fairly stable framerate and very little glitching. 

I´l make a full writeup on my own blog later today for anyone who happen to be interested. =P

But let me tell you my own favorite moment. When i was testing out a gun and shoot through the windows of four parked cars and the bullet popped a tire on the truck behind. Each window cracked in the right place.. That was really nice. 

This have been a good conversation

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516
    This is not a realistic shooter. It's an RPG underneath the hood.

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• gunmanvladgunmanvlad Member UncommonPosts: 281
    For me Division felt...empty. I was running around at 9 a.m. on a Sunday in the "Dark Zone", only to find it completely devoid of NPC life or anything environment-based, but tons of people running around waiting for respawns...Absolutely 0 immersion when the NPC keeps saying "no one can control the Dark Zone" but even in BETA it's a zerg-fest of players obviously controlling it even more than the main map.

On release I imagine that area to be one of:
    - bunch of friends own it
    - people waiting on respawns
    - people running around killing eachother FFA

The story seems half-decent, but the in-game animators have done a shit-job imo.

Was planning to buy it (was even debating between Gold and Sleeper edition), but I am most likely no going to bother now. At least not until sales/more content/improvements/people dropping off and not zerging
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

nomadie said:

"It’s original" That made me laugh. This game feels like Destiny had sex with Nether while cheating on Nether with Day-Z and made this mess. The Dark Zone can only have 24 players at any given time so say you have 12 friends you now pretty much own the Dark Zone... It felt really boring with the really slow respawn rates for AI mixed with not many AI on the map. The pvp is purely level based and item based and has little to no skilled needed which can ruin pvp, you and 3 friends can show up and a dude who is much higher level with better gear can just kill all 3 of you like it was nothing. Great idea for a game but with the lack of balance in pvp and little AI to find in both pvp and pve it got really boring fast.

WAIT WHAT?! 24 player max in pvp? tis is mmo? wtf?
  • advokat666advokat666 Member UncommonPosts: 93
    I enjoyed the PvE Part of the game, i think if the story is good the game is worth the money. Season Pass ? I am sorry Ubisoft, no way. If they add new Maps i will be happy to pay for that. But what has been announced so far for the DLC is not interesting enough for me. I hope that the game world will be a bit more explorable and that the streets in general will be a bit more dangerous to walk in.

PvP on the other hand, good god...... I have never ever seen something more stupid than this. The rogue system is so much exploitable and has so much troll potential, i think this will be the game breaker for the Division if Ubisoft does not rework this. For example if i am in a group and decide to turn against a member of my group the whole group gets flagged as rogue. Honestly Ubisoft.....................