Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard is still money hungry.

KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
edited January 2016 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
...and this can be a good thing. We've seen this most evidently in the fact they weren't still pleased with the massive success of World of Warcraft. They went after other markets/genres so they don't compete with themselves in this genre. They made StarCraft 2 - RTS,  Diablo 3 - ARPG, Hearthstone - Card game, Heroes of the Storm - MOBA, Overwatch - FPS, and even went after the big cinema with Warcraft movie.

All of this makes me certain that based on how Legion performs we will know two things Blizzard will either be pleased with its success and continue with WOW or Blizzard will finally be working on its next AAA MMORPG. So, its a win win for us the consumers, and at the end with Legion we will have to vote if we want this next AAA MMORPG from Blizzard to happen or are we still pleased with World of Warcraft.

Remember, not too long ago Blizzard was generating 1 billion from World of Warcraft annually. That is one of the reasons why this company could do all these things over the years. They are clearly aware of how huge and important this MMO market is for them.

Comments

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    I don't see any way Blizzard launches another MMORPG. I think they themselves know they had the perfect storm of everything lining up perfectly the first time. I don't think they can do it again and i believe they know it. 

Other genres are where the money is now. Leave this one to the niche crowd.
  • cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    Alders said:
    I don't see any way Blizzard launches another MMORPG. I think they themselves know they had the perfect storm of everything lining up perfectly the first time. I don't think they can do it again and i believe they know it. 

Other genres are where the money is now. Leave this one to the niche crowd.
    I disagree with the statement that implies mmos are a niche crowd.  As to whether Blizzard makes another mmo or not I think is up in the air, but mmos still bring in good money and that is why they are still being created.
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited January 2016
    1. Blizzard has been money hungry for a long time. They are worse than EA.

2. Starcraft and Diablo have been around since the 90s. They aren't new. 

3. HotS while a fine game is far from a masterpiece. HS even much further. While Overwatch is simply garbage. Their first new IP since the 1998's Starcraft, and it's just horrible.

4. I'm pretty sure Wildstar is very similar to the "Titan" that Blizzard wanted to develop. As it turns out Wildstar is also garbage and about to shutdown. I wouldn't have high hopes from Blizzard anymore. Apart from Diablo 3 (after being crap for the first year), they haven't done anything worth mentioning in a long time.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    josko9 said:
    1. Blizzard has been money hungry for a long time. They are worse than EA.

2. Starcraft and Diablo have been around since the 90s. They aren't new. 

3. HotS while a fine game is far from a masterpiece. HS even much further. While Overwatch is simply garbage. Their first new IP since the 1998's Starcraft, and it's just horrible.

4. I'm pretty sure Wildstar is very similar to the "Titan" that Blizzard wanted to develop. As it turns out Wildstar is also garbage and about to shutdown. I wouldn't have high hopes from Blizzard anymore. Apart from Diablo 3 (after being crap for the first year), they haven't done anything worth mentioning.

Overwatch is far from garbage, it s actually insanely fun.
  • fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    edited January 2016
    Blizzard isn't going to make another MMO in the near future. If they wanted to continue down the MMO path Titan would still be in production. I thought that was common sense. Even a blind person can see that Blizzard has been distancing themselves and branching out for the last few years.

MMOs are very costly and the return of profit just isn't worth the hassle. Why waste money when you can make a shooter, card game, or RTS and make more money in less time.
  • KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    edited January 2016
    @fodell54 It cost them 50-60 mil to make World of Warcraft. Another 50 mil to maintain it annually from 2004-2008. I bet this would've been much cheaper if they didn't use those cinematic and hired mega celebrities like Chuck Norris to run their adds.

I believe 1 billion profit for 50 mil investment 19x return of their investment. Today someone to receive 2-3x return of their investment would consider it success, especially with such large sums.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    A corporation is looking to sustain or increase their positive cash flow.

This is a total shock, I know.
    Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    edited February 2016
    I think they are more interested in trying to bring people back to the game. They must have realized they have to do more to bring their sub numbers back up, or at least stop them from dropping.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    or they can just do something new .. wait .. they did. Overwatch (at least new for Blizz). 

In fact, let's make it interesting. Anyone want to bet, against me, that Blizz is not going to make a new classical MMORPG in the next 2 years?  (precisely 1/30/2018).

The stakes is publicly say "I told you so" .. and the loser has to publicly admit that they are wrong here, on this forum. Any takers?
  • QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    publicly admit that they are wrong here, on this forum. Any takers?
    Hahaha, on MMORPG.com?  Please.
    Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Quesa said:
    publicly admit that they are wrong here, on this forum. Any takers?
    Hahaha, on MMORPG.com?  Please.
    yeah .. hence the bet. An air tight bet is hard to get out of. Of course, they will try to justify with all sort of reasons ... but at least someone can point back to the bet.

It will at least be fun. 
  • VoltheVolthe Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Blizzard became extremely greedy after activision took over.  Every new expansion for wow has been shit after WOTLK and they implemented 25$ mounts that are not accessible in the game, auto-leveling for 90% (which becomes quite appealing with there constant FOTM class balance system), and gold buying for cash.  Hearthstone is completely pay to win, they could easily fix this by just making an auction house and tradable cards.  Instead I find you have to pay 200$ to get some decent decks (at least my friend did and now he has op cards and breezed through the ranking system.)  Heart of the storm is a massive ripoff.  All of the characters cost about 10$ a piece and it takes hundreds of games to unlock one for free.  Diablo 3 allows you to buy items for real money rather than in game currency.  StarCraft 2 only came with one campaign.  Blizzard games have reasonably decent content but the financial mechanics (pay to win, paywalls, etc) have completely destroyed any interest I have in their games.  The only silver lining there is, is that overwatch will supposedly be buy to play, but I'm willing to bet new characters, items, and skins will not be included despite the fact that you have already bought the game.  A larger trend in gaming is this dlc bullshit.  Before the internet was added to consoles you would buy the game and own all the content.  Skins, secret characters, Items used to be free.

TLDR: Gaming corporations have utilized new methods to make you pay more for what you already bought.  Or created freemium pay to win bullshit.

hi

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    or they can just do something new .. wait .. they did. Overwatch (at least new for Blizz). 

In fact, let's make it interesting. Anyone want to bet, against me, that Blizz is not going to make a new classical MMORPG in the next 2 years?  (precisely 1/30/2018).

The stakes is publicly say "I told you so" .. and the loser has to publicly admit that they are wrong here, on this forum. Any takers?
    I'll do you one better... I say Blizzard won't make another MMORPG in the next 10 years.  Porting WoW to mobile doesn't count as a new MMORPG.
  • khanstructkhanstruct Member UncommonPosts: 756
    Blizzard will absolutely make another MMO. They'd be foolish not to. When WoW does finally fade away (but before their entire customer base is disenchanted), they will make a huge marketing push for the "next big MMO".

I'd like to think it would be Starcraft Galaxy or something like that, but more likely, it will be Diablo Online.

People will buy it simply because, "You remember how HUGE Warcraft was? I can't wait to see this new one from Blizzard!"

• 9Seraph9Seraph Member UncommonPosts: 10

I will take that bet.

However, let's clarify so that there aren't any overlooked nuances within the wording of said bet:

- A new Blizzard MMORPG will not be made/released within the next two years.
    - We will announce a new MMORPG within the next year and a half.

I'll even cut the timeline back 6 months on it.
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    I am almost certain that Blizzards next MMORPG will be a sandbox with player driven content.  It makes sense from a a saturation stand point.  It makes sense from a financial stand point. 

• Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Blizzard is still money hungry? Corporations, company's, business's are here to try and make money. That means they are hungry for money. If you are looking for philanthropy you will not find it in the business world.

And yes I know many corporations donate to philanthropic organizations. There primary reason for existence is to generate profits. End of story.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Kopogero said:
    @fodell54 It cost them 50-60 mil to make World of Warcraft. Another 50 mil to maintain it annually from 2004-2008. I bet this would've been much cheaper if they didn't use those cinematic and hired mega celebrities like Chuck Norris to run their adds.

I believe 1 billion profit for 50 mil investment 19x return of their investment. Today someone to receive 2-3x return of their investment would consider it success, especially with such large sums.
    Unless of course they figure out how to invest 50 - 60 million to make more money with another type of game.

As has already been said, if they wanted to continue to make an mmo they would have reimagined titan and continued to work on it.

Instead, they are releasing other games.

Additionally, if they can spend "less" than 50 - 60 million on a game and make the same amount of money they will.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    Kopogero said:
    ...and this can be a good thing. We've seen this most evidently in the fact they weren't still pleased with the massive success of World of Warcraft. They went after other markets/genres so they don't compete with themselves in this genre. They made StarCraft 2 - RTS,  Diablo 3 - ARPG, Hearthstone - Card game, Heroes of the Storm - MOBA, Overwatch - FPS, and even went after the big cinema with Warcraft movie.

All of this makes me certain that based on how Legion performs we will know two things Blizzard will either be pleased with its success and continue with WOW or Blizzard will finally be working on its next AAA MMORPG. So, its a win win for us the consumers, and at the end with Legion we will have to vote if we want this next AAA MMORPG from Blizzard to happen or are we still pleased with World of Warcraft.

Remember, not too long ago Blizzard was generating 1 billion from World of Warcraft annually. That is one of the reasons why this company could do all these things over the years. They are clearly aware of how huge and important this MMO market is for them.

Hope spring eternal, I guess.  They canceled Project Titan, their MMO project.  So, no new MMO from Blizzard within the next 10 years, at least.

And there's lots of speculation that Overwatch is the repurposed assets of Titan.  So that's a triple no no no on an MMO. 

A good article with direct quotes: 

http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/23/6833953/blizzard-cancels-titan-next-gen-mmo-pc

• WicasaWicasa Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Bought stock summer of 2014 around $16 a share and its close to $40 a share now (NASDAQ: ATVI). WoW isn't going anywhere with the release of the movies on the way. Has Mario or Zelda? They may update or port the graphics like 'The Repopulation' is currently doing, or leave them be - more suitable for high frame-rate virtual reality. They can always change the lands and quests like they did in Cataclysm..
  • Jonnyp2Jonnyp2 Member UncommonPosts: 243
    edited February 2016
    fodell54 said:
    Blizzard isn't going to make another MMO in the near future. If they wanted to continue down the MMO path Titan would still be in production. I thought that was common sense. Even a blind person can see that Blizzard has been distancing themselves and branching out for the last few years.

MMOs are very costly and the return of profit just isn't worth the hassle. Why waste money when you can make a shooter, card game, or RTS and make more money in less time.
    Why make a shooter, rts, or tcg when you can just toss out clash of clans or some other garbage mobile game for a significantly smaller investment?
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited February 2016
    I don't think we will see any high budget MMORPGs from anyone soon. Maybe we might when there is such an advance in technology that changes how we experience the MMORPG. But, well, it's already been 20 years and not much has changed in this regard yet. And I don't mean VR. I mean the ability to create a truly adaptive and dynamic environment.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    edited February 2016
    I am almost certain that Blizzards next MMORPG will be a sandbox with player driven content.  It makes sense from a a saturation stand point.  It makes sense from a financial stand point.
    Personally , i think Blizzards only able to make MMORPG like WoW . I don't think they able to make any other type of MMORPG

Blizzards never good at open new trend , they only good at take over something and make it better than the rests .
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    I hope that this horrible company never makes a MMORPG again.

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059

When Blizz cancelled Titan, I think they pretty much sent a clear message that they won't be going in the classic MMORPG direction with any new games, at least for the foreseeable future.