Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Are you friendly?" - Best line ever

IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
So , i looked up on twitch and saw this streamer "Lirik" streaming The Division with 38k viewers. Told myself I should watch it since I know nothing about the game.

Next think , the streamer and some friend, where running in-game to an "arrival point" mission. At some point, the friend said "hey, there is a subway station here, let's go" . 
So they get in, in a dark atmosphere with low light. At some point, a player ( first I thought that he's an NPC ) came by right next to them, when the streamer stops and asks "Are you friendly?" ( all this with real voice , as it seems there is a system with in-game voice where players can talk and hear each-other ). The unknown player then said "Yes ... I am friendly!" and then goes "There is nothing here guys, I just checked everything" . Streamer goes like "Ok , thanks" and they moved on. 

Man! That was so real because of the real voice and the game's dark atmosphere and this was the best short thing I saw in an MMO. 

I really need to play this game.

Btw, how big is the game? I saw that everything happens in NYC and it's an open world, but is it big enough to support hundreds of players? Or there are people who will create custom servers?

Yes, I didn't read about the game yet, so any answers will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

Comments

• HellboundHeartHellboundHeart Member UncommonPosts: 390
    IceAge said:
    So , i looked up on twitch and saw this streamer "Lirik" streaming The Division with 38k viewers. Told myself I should watch it since I know nothing about the game.

Next think , the streamer and some friend, where running in-game to an "arrival point" mission. At some point, the friend said "hey, there is a subway station here, let's go" . 
    So they get in, in a dark atmosphere with low light. At some point, a player ( first I thought that he's an NPC ) came by right next to them, when the streamer stops and asks "Are you friendly?" ( all this with real voice , as it seems there is a system with in-game voice where players can talk and hear each-other ). The unknown player then said "Yes ... I am friendly!" and then goes "There is nothing here guys, I just checked everything" . Streamer goes like "Ok , thanks" and they moved on. 

Man! That was so real because of the real voice and the game's dark atmosphere and this was the best short thing I saw in an MMO. 

Btw, how big is the game? I saw that everything happens in NYC and it's an open world, but is it big enough to support hundreds of players? Or there are people who will create custom servers?

Thanks!

were streaming here http://www.twitch.tv/thebrokenhalo , ask, and we shall answer.
  • FrammshammFrammshamm Member UncommonPosts: 322
    IceAge said:

Thanks!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU THINK THIS IS AN MMO?? OPEN WORLD BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

In all seriousness. The entire game is instanced to YOURSELF. Its locked to YOURSELF ONLY unless you form a party. Then, its locked to YOUR PARTY ONLY. Your base.. all interaction with the game is done in 1 player instance only. There is no market. There is no trading. There is no economy. THERE ARE NO PLAYERS. The world is not open. The 2% of buildings that you can go into are basically like WOW caves. They are there and you know they are enter-able. Everything else is facade and empty. The quests are linear and must be repeated over and over. There is NOTHING else to do in this game except grind single player quests in your single player world. When you invite three friends, the quests stay the same difficulty. No scaling.. NOTHING. 

There is ONE multiplayer aspect and thats the DARKZONE. HoLY FUCK i cannot explain how terrible it is. Its a the tiniest piece of shit. It takes about 1 minute to run across it. It supports a max of 16 players per instance. There are hardly any NPCs to find and kill. There are even less players. Its 90% running around listening to awesome ubisoft battle noises in the background. Literally NOTHING to do. occasionally youll fight something.. maybe a shit piece of green gear will drop. Then youll call in an extraction and if you are LUCKY, a group of 4 will come murder you at the point. I say LUCKY, because thats the only player interaction youll get in this game.

Fuck.. I stood at the darkzone calling for extracts every 90 secs for 1 hour. Just to see other players and say hi to them. There is NOTHING to do in this game and it is 10000000% not an open world MMO. Do yourself a favor. Go to gamestop.. drop 5 bucks and see for yourself. 
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    i planned to order this game.. but seeing some twitch the game seems very linair indeed.

very small map aswell..

I like the visuals tho of the game.. but preff gameplay above visuals any time

Reading alot of players opinions like above poster that the game is shit lol

ill wait a bit with buying
  • ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    "Do yourself a favor. Go to gamestop.. drop 5 bucks and see for yourself."

Already did. Got the gold edition in fact. Had more fun in the beta the than I've had in any full-realeased mmorpg in a long time.
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    I sort of agree here.  There are a lot of things the game does well.  It's very polished.  Combat is quite good for a TPS.  The atmosphere and graphics are very nice.  But it's true.  It's a single play game where you can co-op with friends, or go into matchmaking.  I see nothing in the way or random dynamic events.  You can't bump into other people in you're in a dark zone.  It doesn't help that 95% of the game is locked this weekend either.  99% of the buildings can't be entered.  If you played it like a single player game though, you may really enjoy it.  Which is what I'm planning to do unless I have some friends that are online.  I think it will definitely be worth $60 in the end.  People are talking about a small map, but that isn't true.  We have seen the actual map, and what they have in Beta is an incredibly small sliver of the full game world. 

It took me about six hours to complete all of the single player content in the beta.  Pretty much the only thing left to do is look for collectibles and go into the dark zone.  I know there's a ton of cool stuff that will be unlocked in the full version, that we don't have access to now, and that's great to know.  However, It's my opinion that they need to add some other things to the game that don't completely revolve around combat.  There are achievements, there are collectibles, but there needs to be more to do.  Daily events.  Random encounters even after you've completed all of the area missions.  Perhaps some sort of agent housing in the future, ala Grand Theft Auto.  Where you can outfit it similarly to the agent bases.  I'd like to see more skills available in the future.  I'm still holding onto my pre-order.  We'll see what happens.
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Don't listen to the naysayers above.  They apparently didn't read the disclaimer before playing the beta that most of the features in the game were turned off.  So we're seeing only about 10% of the base game this weekend.  The storyline, crafting, perks and other goodies are being left for us to experience at launch.  I'm excited for it and am now on a mission to beat all my other games before March hits so I can just focus on the Division then.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    It's very much a better experience with friends.  As a single player game, it's (in my opinion) as good as Gears of War (mostly because I enjoy the RPG elements that GoW doesn't include), but with friends venturing out into the Dark Zone..  It's a blast.

I'm excited to get my hands on the full version in March.  There's a lot of cool little things, like the ECHOs.  I saw one yesterday that had a CERA worker in it that was described as "Missing" and "Last sighted in the Garden District."  I didn't get the chance to run to the Garden District to try and find him, but it got me wondering if they took the time to add little things like this in for the explorers in us.  I might go back and try to find him today.  If there is some mini-mission or collectible for finding him..  That'll be pretty awesome.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    I really want to like this game, but even after watching hours of youtube footage, I can't help but feel it just doesn't have legs...

I hate to say it, but I suspect that Destiny will outlast Division quite comfortably. The sci-fi setting of Destiny gives those devs the ability to add a wide-ranging selection of settings and equipment and plot lines to the game. The Division, on the other hand, seems to have a very narrow focus which doesn't have much wiggle-room. Unless Ubisoft pull some really bizarre plot twists...
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    I really want to like this game, but even after watching hours of youtube footage, I can't help but feel it just doesn't have legs...

I hate to say it, but I suspect that Destiny will outlast Division quite comfortably. The sci-fi setting of Destiny gives those devs the ability to add a wide-ranging selection of settings and equipment and plot lines to the game. The Division, on the other hand, seems to have a very narrow focus which doesn't have much wiggle-room. Unless Ubisoft pull some really bizarre plot twists...
    What are they going for with the division? Is it something like destiny, an mmo shooter? It's on my list of games to try but don't have access to the beta :( still need to play destiny as well. Both sound like awesome games to me but my backlog of games I want to play is just insane at this point. Doesn't help when some of those games on the list are sooooo long like the witcher 3 and fallout 4.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    fivoroth said:

What are they going for with the division? Is it something like destiny, an mmo shooter? It's on my list of games to try but don't have access to the beta :( still need to play destiny as well. Both sound like awesome games to me but my backlog of games I want to play is just insane at this point. Doesn't help when some of those games on the list are sooooo long like the witcher 3 and fallout 4.
    It's a post-Apoc setting in which a virus (that, from my understanding thus far, is similar to smallpox) spread rapidly during the Black Friday rush (via short-duration air transfer and physical contact with other people and contaminated items such as money or goods).

It's, as succinctly as I can put it, a 3rd person shared world shooter RPG.  There are 3 skill lines with 4 skills in each line that also contain 4 different mods to choose from (as far as I know, as most are locked for the beta).  In all, that's 48 different combinations of skills.  Additionally, though not available in the beta, there's a talent and perk system that will further augment your agent's abilities.  Along with that, there's an assortment of real-world emulated weapons including LMGs, shotguns, pistols, assault rifles, sniper rifles, and SMGs, all with different stats ala RPG equipment.  It also includes body armor equipment slots for different parts of the body (and, my personal favorite, lots of clothes to further personalize your Agent :) ).

There are main and side missions that give insight into the overall story, as well as encounters that are sort of one-off firefights scattered along the way.

Collectibles make up a lot of Intel that give back story and add flavor to the game through recordings of phone calls and such.

Dark Zone is a PvP-enabled area where great loot can be found but has to be extracted and can be stolen by other players if they kill your Agent while he still holds the contaminated items.  That zone is best done with friends.

All in all, I find I've enjoyed it more than I did Destiny.  Certainly, with the talent and perk system plus the skill combinations, it looks to have greater character depth than Destiny (depending upon how those systems work).  The storyline is barely touched in the beta, so I'm not sure how good it will be.  The first DLC will expand the playable area by adding a network of underground areas that I assume will primarily be based in and around the subway system.

Also, the playable world is (save for loading into small "safe rooms" with vendors in them scattered throughout the city) totally seamless.  No loading screens after every mission and zone!

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    You better go play some APB with is way better than this crap :)
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    It's a game I've been interested in since I first saw the original demo a couple of years ago (when EQN was getting all the buzz :)) but I'm disappointed with what it became: very little content and small map.

You better enjoy dark zoning over and over, buy the season pass and hope they deliver new content because what they're about to release is very short and repetitive.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited January 2016
    I've played the beta and reviewed as much material as I can get my hands on and see no reason to be overly concerned with lack of content. I was surprised with was how much I like group play AND solo faffing about. Most games I vastly prefer one over the other. March 8 can't come soon enough.
    edited January 2016
    Duplicate comment. Ignore
    IceAge said:

Thanks!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU THINK THIS IS AN MMO?? OPEN WORLD BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

In all seriousness. The entire game is instanced to YOURSELF. Its locked to YOURSELF ONLY unless you form a party. Then, its locked to YOUR PARTY ONLY. Your base.. all interaction with the game is done in 1 player instance only. There is no market. There is no trading. There is no economy. THERE ARE NO PLAYERS. The world is not open. The 2% of buildings that you can go into are basically like WOW caves. They are there and you know they are enter-able. Everything else is facade and empty. The quests are linear and must be repeated over and over. There is NOTHING else to do in this game except grind single player quests in your single player world. When you invite three friends, the quests stay the same difficulty. No scaling.. NOTHING. 

There is ONE multiplayer aspect and thats the DARKZONE. HoLY FUCK i cannot explain how terrible it is. Its a the tiniest piece of shit. It takes about 1 minute to run across it. It supports a max of 16 players per instance. There are hardly any NPCs to find and kill. There are even less players. Its 90% running around listening to awesome ubisoft battle noises in the background. Literally NOTHING to do. occasionally youll fight something.. maybe a shit piece of green gear will drop. Then youll call in an extraction and if you are LUCKY, a group of 4 will come murder you at the point. I say LUCKY, because thats the only player interaction youll get in this game.

Fuck.. I stood at the darkzone calling for extracts every 90 secs for 1 hour. Just to see other players and say hi to them. There is NOTHING to do in this game and it is 10000000% not an open world MMO. Do yourself a favor. Go to gamestop.. drop 5 bucks and see for yourself. 
    BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Devs said beta is only 10% of the game.

Pretty sure you don't know shit from a limited beta.

On another note, chack my stream too, it's not you're own instance LOL. We saw plenty of people we were not grouped with lol. I was even shooting at a dude on accident, which I call out in my live stream: http://www.twitch.tv/gamemasters101/v/38881028 yes, in the city too.

We also grouped with several groups and love the in game chat too, makes it very friendly and open.

saurus123 said:
    The day you can learn to conjugate a proper sentence is the day i'll take you're advice.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    "Are you friendly" is standard question when you meet stranger in survival PVP games

• jelliuzjelliuz Member UncommonPosts: 97
    edited February 2016
    It is so funny to see the amount of unsubstantiated hate some people have for games nowadays. 

50% of the above comments are completely out of context. I spent 10hours in this beta and while it certainly has flaws that they are working on, the rest is top notch. 

Combat and movement is superb.
    Music/ambience/atmosphere are all 10/10. 
    PVP needs a lot of work still but they plan on finetuning it. 
    It has tons of RPG planning/min maxing/tons of loot and customizability.
    The phasing technology is really on a next level, it just works really well. 
    And while it might not be your standard MMO, the open world is truly open world, not a single loading screen and you feel like you are actually in a ruin of New York. The friends system works in such a good way that you don't even need to join a friend in party, they know someone is in your friendslist and they are always in this same world. (I know that the world has several instances but they don't tell you that) 
    As for features, only 6% of the game is unlocked right now, on top of that, they dropped you in the middle of the story at level 4 so you don't get spoiled when you start the game the first time. 

The beta gives you access to 1 mission (there will be 10+ hours confirmed campaign on release), 2 skills, no specialty, levels 4 to 8, 1/5th of the map, 1/5th of the pvp map, reduced NPC spawns, no world events, a couple of side missions, no factions, etc etc.. The beta is basically nothing at all.  

If there is 1 thing to worry about instead of blindly hating on something you have no knowledge of, it is the blatant cheating on pc platform right now. They did say they are working on it and I truly hope they are because if that is still the case on release, the game will be dead on arrival. 
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Never heard any are you friendly did hear a lot of kids screaming kill him kill him he is over here i saw his kill message!!

saurus123 said:
    I liked APB when it first came out.. but that's a ridiculous comment..  And it's a completely different game.
    IceAge said:

Thanks!

On another note, chack my stream too, it's not you're own instance LOL. We saw plenty of people we were not grouped with lol. I was even shooting at a dude on accident, which I call out in my live stream: http://www.twitch.tv/gamemasters101/v/38881028 yes, in the city too.

We also grouped with several groups and love the in game chat too, makes it very friendly and open.
    I had never, in my nearly 8 hours of gameplay, seen a single PC in the open world.  Dark Zone, yes.  Open world?  No.  There are tons of players in the starter base.  But you walk out of the gates, and everyone is gone. 

I'm not going to watch your whole stream, because I know you're wrong.  You must have been in the dark zone.
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Am I friendly? No. But my gun is. It just loves sharing bullets. 

Game is fun. I'm sorry that some people don't enjoy it. But for me it was worth the wait for beta, and worth the wait for March.

OP it's worth checking out imho.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    edited February 2016

saurus123 said:
    The day you can learn to conjugate a proper sentence is the day i'll take you're advice.
    The day you learn to properly capitalize the word "I" in a sentence is the day I'll care about your stream.  ;)
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    DAS1337 said:

I had never, in my nearly 8 hours of gameplay, seen a single PC in the open world.  Dark Zone, yes.  Open world?  No.  There are tons of players in the starter base.  But you walk out of the gates, and everyone is gone. 

I'm not going to watch your whole stream, because I know you're wrong.  You must have been in the dark zone.

So, I can't say what its like on other versions, I'm playing on the XBOX One.  

There are hubs, when you load in, you start at a hub, and there are other players there.  Moving outside of that zone, there will be areas you can run into PCs but it wouldn't make sense to run into populations of players outside of main hubs in a post apocalyptic game.  

The dark zone does have a ton of player characters, thats the point of it.  It has a pretty great feel.

I love the bounty system.. pretty much an oldschool PK system with some minor changes.  

The limitations to the beta are prevalent everywhere, but the area is pretty large considering.  Its the most fun I've had in a game in a long while, but I'm also a fan of GoW so the cover system coupled with some MMO mechanics is really geared towards me.  

Overall, its been a great experience with a relatively low amount of bugs that get in our way.  Some bugs I've encountered have been, characters disappearing, or one of my group members got a red hugh upon respawn if he died that lasted about 30 minutes.  One other issue was he couldn't fast travel.  

I know the PC version has a lot of hacking going on right now, but hopefully thats only temporary.

Great game though.

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800

saurus123 said:
    Your, not you're.