Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Warcraft Trailer

GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
Can't wait for this to be honest.

Comments

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    This trailer looks awesome, hopefully turns out better than the absolute horrible mess that was star wars 7.
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    edited January 2016
    scorpex-x said:
    This trailer looks awesome, hopefully turns out better than the absolute horrible mess that was star wars 7.
    I remember walking out of the theater and thinking for a split second that no true fan of the franchise would not love the fuck out of that movie; then I came to my senses realizing there are always those that just have to be special. 

Funny you mention The Force Awakens, though; the film has spoiled me to the point where I cannot take yet another movie with total CG infestation that never looks right or works as it is intended. I disliked the crazy proliferation of CG over the years, and after that movie, I'm done with those that you use it excessively.

I'll be passing on the Warcraft movie as it looks as though it falls in that category, lol.
    Post edited by Cecropia on

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• skynight007skynight007 Member UncommonPosts: 16
    I  am going to watch this :|
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    I am usually not a big fan of CG/Virtual sets. But i am willing to give this a pass based on one simple thing. 

Blizzard never designed a real world with the Warcraft universe, it has always been a stylized and insanely out of proportion all the way back to the RTS (ofc in order to show any detail on such a small scale). So in order to capture that... It works for me. 

Same goes for the orcs, pulling of the scale and mass of them (not to mention the Tauren once we get to that point in the story)  with just regular actors is hard. 

With that said i agree the CG in this trailer still... sticks out... a lot. 

Will still see it.

This have been a good conversation

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Video game movie adaptation tends to fail...a lot. When will they ever learn?

IIRC, the story comes from a book and not following the original WC plot.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Going to see it anyways, but good god the CG is just . . . yuck. I can't understand who made this call, it's just so bad it defies reason.
    tawess said:
    I am usually not a big fan of CG/Virtual sets. But i am willing to give this a pass based on one simple thing. 

Blizzard never designed a real world with the Warcraft universe, it has always been a stylized and insanely out of proportion all the way back to the RTS (ofc in order to show any detail on such a small scale). So in order to capture that... It works for me. 

Same goes for the orcs, pulling of the scale and mass of them (not to mention the Tauren once we get to that point in the story)  with just regular actors is hard. 

Will still see it.
    Hmmm. You make an interesting point. Maybe I'm being too hasty in this particular case.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    WTF is the problem with CG? Poorly done in YOUR OPINION or you JUST DON'T LIKE CG in movies? I wonder how some "films" would look with some CG? I'm glad they use CG to try and create these "worlds". I don't think some films would be even made if they couldn't use some CG in them. Wont miss you at the theater if CG bothers you  and people like you that much.
  • mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    With the game being of zero interest since they stopped making any worthwhile content but continued to take subs, I wouldn't watch this film if you paid me.
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Not sure why people are complaining about the CG. Seems to blend together with the real actors and stuff about as well as could be hoped for, imo. 

Still looking great and I can't wait to see it. Too bad this trailer was just a shortened version of what was shown in their Blizzcon trailer. At least I didn't notice anything new, anyway.
  • wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
    This movie is going to suck huge amounts. No thanks.
    edited January 2016
    Jamar870 said:
    WTF is the problem with CG? Poorly done in YOUR OPINION or you JUST DON'T LIKE CG in movies? I wonder how some "films" would look with some CG? I'm glad they use CG to try and create these "worlds". I don't think some films would be even made if they couldn't use some CG in them. Wont miss you at the theater if CG bothers you  and people like you that much.
    In the majority of cases it looks totally fake which takes away from so much of the experience. I believe it has a place in film but it has to be done extremely well which is unfortunately quite rare. Excessive use of it has also been a big issue which has tarnished what were otherwise amazing movies.

The Lord of the Rings films are a good example of it being done right. The Star Wars prequels are a classic example of it being done terribly. The Force Awakens found the perfect formula and if I was a betting man, will shape the future of special effects for the forseeable future. Use CG only when absolutely necessary, create practical (tangible) effects whenever possible. 

However, I will digress and say that the exception could be a film such as Warcraft. As Tawess stated, it makes sense in a situation like this.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Lol, butt hurt WoW haters. Game Is good as will the movie be.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    That beige orc looks really derpy when saying he wants to save his people.  The CGI will date it fairly quickly imo but it should be fun.
  • spidiispidii Member UncommonPosts: 143
    It's the human actor and his cg scene of dropping onto the griffin that looks dreadful to me, looks like bad acting combined with bad cg. And yet, I will still see this because warcraft. Nothing better than going in with extremely low expectations though.
  • stio89stio89 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Looks horrible. Like some cheap direct-to-dvd movie.
    edited January 2016
    Soki123 said:
    Lol, butt hurt WoW haters. Game Is good as will the movie be.
    People always hate on what is mainstream and popular,  WoW is a machine.  Nothing out there even comes close to it, especially in the sub market.

More people play WoW than all the other sub games combined.

Whether the movie does well will depend on how much they spend on marketting and the competition.
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    scorpex-x said:
    Whether the movie does well will depend on how much they spend on marketting and the competition.
    Pretty sure they will dance around the big hitters to try and get a piece of the opening box office ticket pie. As for success, it would have been 1000 times more successful if it actually came out around the TBC era when the fanboism was at it's peak.  The lost a lot of potential fans along the way as the game became old.
  • JazzingoJazzingo Member CommonPosts: 2
    @Groqstrong ;

This looks freaking awesome! I'm so excited ; u ;
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited January 2016
    We will fight together ..... just ..... isn't .....right.

They can't upset one side or the other though. And they do seem to be saving on development by having everyone working together against a common foe so I guess that ties in.

Marvel/DC have nothing to worry about. Or Disney/Pixar animations (there is good cgi and .... this isn't).

And with a June 10 release date obviously aimed at the US family market (different school years). Crowded schedule as well: Turtles the week before; Finding Dory (from Finding Nemo) the week after; Independence Day Resurgence the week after that.  Ouch! Explains why the release date may have been "in play".
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Gonna see this.  I really want to see how a company like blizzard that's really good about managing IP and quality, handles this.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

edited January 2016
    Pepeq said:
    scorpex-x said:
    Pretty sure they will dance around the big hitters to try and get a piece of the opening box office ticket pie. As for success, it would have been 1000 times more successful if it actually came out around the TBC era when the fanboism was at it's peak.  The lost a lot of potential fans along the way as the game became old.
    Not really, the wow playerbase at any point is a nice chunk of audience but that's not enough for a movie to be a success.  For a movie to be a success today it has to reach outside of its fanbase, as the Avengers did with it's comic book fanbase.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited January 2016
    tawess said:

Will still see it.
    Nein!  I demand that Blizzard force every actor over 6'3" in Hollywood be repeatedly injected with horse steroids and locked away in a gym until we can simply paint them green, give them some fake teeth, and cast them in live-action roles as Orcs and/or Tauren!  Gimme now!

• AshstomperAshstomper Member UncommonPosts: 8
    You want to see truly crappy CGI... Watch Starship Troopers.  If the script is good, the movie will be good.  It's the same age old premise in almost every movie.... Good vs Evil.
  • WafflejskiWafflejski Member UncommonPosts: 4
    wow just wow, what are people talking about!!! 'CGI is rubbish and over the top' absolutely ridiculous.  
    A real Warcraft fan would appreciate that the game is designed a certain way with a certain look. Bright colours and all.  I feel this film (so far as I've seen) encapsulates that. I stopped playing wow half way through Cataclysm, but I certainly have been immersed into the game for several years before that.  

When you say the CGI looks crappy, really type what you mean. Because the CGI is far from crappy or yuck. Its actually really well matted. Anyone who understands CGI would know this. If its over the top which is what you really mean, then thats an opinion. To gauge really crap CGI watch any of the films on the SFI-FI channel, there you'll see no decent compositing, and the finish is extremely yuck.

I will be watching this, and I will be supporting the franchise, not because i play wow or even a fan these days, but because there could (if done right) be some very good storys, Lich King would be so damn sweet.

Plus, there is no fantasy franchise out there now, so slots in very nicely.