Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hard to decide - Revival or Chronicles of Elyria as my primary game.

Comments

• MaygusMaygus Member UncommonPosts: 374
    muffins89 said:
    I'm assuming Revival will release first.  Because,  CoE seems to be years away.  So,  play Revival and then try out CoE a few years later. 
    Q3 2017 is slated release
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240
  • Deffcon_1Deffcon_1 Member UncommonPosts: 164
    no it's not full loot pvp the only way to fully loot is to come across a corpse the only way to come across a corpse is to have a permadeath something you say wont be happening on day one

When someone is really dead you can loot everything from their body. That is full loot PvP. Its that simple.
  • TimberhickTimberhick Member UncommonPosts: 554
    No.

Just no.

If your skipping along you're yellow brick road and come across a corpse, when you bend down to see what goodies may or may not be had that is not Full Loot PvP.

You're continued insistence that CoE is full loot pvp is asinine
  • YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    The cancellation of Everquest Next has certainly made a dent in my faith even in the future of Star Citizen, not to mention much lower budget CoE and Revival. :(
    Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Let's see which one(s) actually release and if so, how close they deliver to the "promise".
    After that, I'll get excited.
    CoE and Revival are obviously aiming to create some hindrance to the traditional genuine old school full loot PvP. CoE will have three layers of looting and Revival will offer temporary PvP immunities inside the sphere of influence of an intact god shrine.

The reason for this hindrance could be that CoE and Revival will also have Caravan/Ship/House Looting. For example, in Revival a PvP-immune player character travelling with a caravan or on a ship won't be immune to loosing posessions outside his/her character inventory. A bandit can arrive and loot everything from a pack mule in a caravan even if it belongs to a PvP-immune character. I presume ships and caravans will be fully lootable in Chronicles of Elyria too.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Let's see which one(s) actually release and if so, how close they deliver to the "promise".
    After that, I'll get excited.
    Agree.

Pretty much every single game over promises and under delivers if they deliver at all. There is nothing to get excited about until something close to a finished playable game is actually being released.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

No.

Just no.

If your skipping along you're yellow brick road and come across a corpse, when you bend down to see what goodies may or may not be had that is not Full Loot PvP.

When someone is actually dead you can loot them. Just because you are mistaking incapacitation and spirit walking for dead doesnt make you right. It actually makes you wrong. Quite wrong. When a person is dead you can fully loot them. When they are incapacitated you can loot a few things, when they are spirit walking you can loot a little more, when they are dead you can fully loot. It is full loot PvP. You are wrong.
    Deffcon_1 said:
    No.

Just no.

When someone is actually dead you can loot them. Just because you are mistaking incapacitation and spirit walking for dead doesnt make you right. It actually makes you wrong. Quite wrong. When a person is dead you can fully loot them. When they are incapacitated you can loot a few things, when they are spirit walking you can loot a little more, when they are dead you can fully loot. It is full loot PvP. You are wrong.
    No I am not. 

DJ#4
    http://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/348-Design-Journal-4--Incapacitation-Spirit-Walking-and-Permadeath

Versions of Death: Incapacitation, Spirit Walking, and Permadeath

In most games death is what happens when your health reaches zero. Generally once dead you are teleported to some nearby recall point and have the opportunity to live again, usually without consequences, so you can continue your quest. In Chronicles of Elyria, there are actually three different things which most games would classify as "dying." Each of them comes with varying degrees of consequences for all players involved.

Incapacitation

Incapacitation in CoE is the most common form of what other games would call “killing.” Incapacitation happens during any combat or event in which a person’s health is dropped to zero. This renders the character unconscious for a short period of time. While unconscious, the incapacitated person's screen goes black and they'll see a little timer telling them how much longer before they regain consciousness. Note that while they can't see anything, they can still hear what's going on around them. There's no reason for this, we just felt it was a nice touch, as it's often believed those who are unconscious or in a coma can still hear/sense those around them.

It’s also important to note that incapacitating someone, unless legally done, is still a crime and typically comes with a small amount of jail time if arrested. We’ll talk more about the legal forms of incapacitating someone in a later journal.

While you're unconscious other players can do things such as "Quick Loot" your person, bind you for capture, or tow your body around a short distance. One of the things I want to call out here is that while being incapacitated leaves you unconscious, it doesn't actually result in any long-term penalties. There's no loss of Spirit for being incapacitated and it doesn't reduce your total life span.

Coup De Grace & Spirit Walking

The second form of "death" which we'll talk about during this article is Spirit Walking. Spirit Walking is what happens when someone takes the initiative to first incapacitate you, and then while you're unconscious, performs a coup de grace. A coup de grace is a killing stroke which results in your soul being forced out of your body in a process we call Spirit Walking. It’s also highly illegal and comes with severe punishment. In general, most beasts and NPCs will simply incapacitate you, however especially evil humans or creatures may aim to kill.

When someone performs a coup de grace you'll hear your unconscious self scream, and then your screen will transition from black to a vision of another world known as the Astral Plane. (See Figure 1.) This is the plane of existence between the mortal world and the world of the gods. When you enter the astral plane you'll see a small silver cord which goes from your soul, travelling some distance, to a highly saturated version of your mortal body that has manifested on the Astral Plane. This is your connection to the physical world.

Permadeath

The final form of death in Chronicles of Elyria is permadeath. This is what happens when you Spirit Walk and are unable to make it back to your body. We’ll talk about this form of death exclusively next week.

Did you notice that section head?  Here let me help you out.

Notice the words.

Deffcon_1 said:
    No.

Just no.

No I am not. 

DJ#4
    http://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/348-Design-Journal-4--Incapacitation-Spirit-Walking-and-Permadeath

Did you notice that section head?  Here let me help you out.

Notice the words.

Did you? Incapacitation, spirit walking, and permadeath are all different things. What one is the only one that describes someone that is dead? The one with DEATH in the name. Youre wrong. Just admit youre wrong and move on like an adult. There is full loot PvP in CoE. When a character is dead, not incapacitated and not spirit walking, but dead, they are fully lootable. Youre wrong. Get over it.
    edited March 2016
    A permadeath corpse is no longer a playable character.   How are you engaging in PvP with a corpse you come across?  How pray tell can that be Full Loot PvP?

I have already proven that CoE considers incapacitation and spirit walking to be death.  They also happen to be the only way to kill a player in PvP.  Both of those deaths are not full loot pvp.

Looting

A question people often have about being incapacitated or Spirit Walking is how that affects other players looting their body. There are three different types of looting in Chronicles of Elyria, each corresponding to a different type of death. The first, Quick Looting, is what you can do if someone is simply incapacitated. The second form of looting, called Inventory Looting, becomes available whenever someone is the victim of a coup de grace. The final form of looting, Corpse Looting, becomes possible any time the soul is unable to return to their host and the body becomes a corpse (permadeath).

It should be noted that looting a body, whether alive or dead, is a crime. If caught and arrested you’ll face charges for your actions. For your typical mundane items it may prove difficult to prove someone stole something from you, but more rare/valuable items or family heirlooms often have a sigil or mark on them identifying who the real owner is.

Quick Loot

In the short period of time while someone is unconscious you have only enough time to grab a few quick things. In specific, you can cut the unconscious person’s purse and take any money they had, or you can take any items which they might have been carrying in their hands. This includes any animals they may have been guiding by the reins or riding (including pack animals).

What you won’t have time to do is unbuckle anything (this includes the belt & scabbard), remove any armor, rummage through their backpack, or otherwise search the body. Anything not in the coin purse, or held in their hands remains the property of the owner.

Inventory Loot

When someone is Spirit Walking you have a bit more time to grab items off their person. In addition to anything you could take while Quick Looting, you can unbuckle their belt to take their sword and scabbard, remove any rings or other jewelry they may be wearing, or take or rummage through their backpack to see if there’s anything of value.

Corpse Loot

The final form of looting is called Corpse Looting. Whenever you come across a corpse, you can take all items from the corpse. This isn’t just limited to items the corpse is wearing.

To think corpse looting is Full Loot PvP is asinine.

edited May 2016
    It's funny how CoE ended up selling houses for real money just like Revival. Influence Points can be earned by promoting CoE but the majority of people will be getting them for real money.

It's almost the same setup. In Revival there were tenements, cottages, houses, manses and estates. The prices are much lower in CoE, though. A stone manor costs around $275 if someone gets 3300 IP as add-ons with real money.

• $10 - 100 Influence Points (IP)
    • $25 - 275 Influence Points (IP)
    • $35 - 400 Influence Points (IP)
    • $50 - 600 Influence Points (IP)
    • $75 - 925 Influence Points (IP)
    • $100 - 1250 Influence Points (IP)

Zultra said:
    The Payment scheme of revival is a massive turnoff for me personally.

The difference between the payment schemes of CoE and Revival has just diminished greatly with the announcement about IP buildings.

• DrakenhoffDrakenhoff Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Necromancy and forums....

Signed Davan Drakenhoff ruler of Castle Drakenhoff the impenatrable castle made from cardboard

It's still a curious topic. CoE has continued to take Revival playerbase and some more features.

• VucarVucar Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Yanocchi said:
    It's still a curious topic. CoE has continued to take Revival playerbase and some more features.
    Were you able to get the same housing options in Revival without paying money?

Genuinely curious, did not follow that game.
  • FluteFlute Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Revival looks interesting, but I can't help thinking the Gold servers are going to be the "good" game, and the other servers the "yeah ok" game.  That and if I read it right, housing requires real money.  I prefer the Elyria model - housing requires effort or money; if you don't want to pay to buy a house at the beginning of the game, you can still earn one.  The "them and us" of Revival, with the tiered servers, to me screams "big problems ahead".  I greatly prefer a single world where anyone can enjoy dynamic event content - and yes, I would be quite happy to pay for in-game event GMs in Elyria.  I just don't think dividing up a nice game's limited population into "rich" and "rest" is going to end well at all; rather I absolutely love the idea that a Paypal King in Elyria really will need to be a good king, or he will risk the peasants literally revolting.

All that said, Illfonic did a bunch of work for Star Citizen, so I have no reason to doubt the will make a really good game.  But Cthulu games don't tend to end well, and are super dark.  So the player base may well end up being a niche of a niche, whereas a good king with a stable (and heavily defended) Kingdom in Elyria could actually result in a huge amount of very fun RP, which would have a far broader appeal. 

Ultimately both games should be fun, but while I am curious about Revival, I cannot overlook the inevitable problems with "oh look my character encountered a creature I can not possibly kill, and my character is totally mad, reroll.  Again."  problem inherent in cthulu games; the alternative is you walk around forever doing nothing but listening to moody music.  Remember the old joke about how to make a character who will survive in Call of Ctuhulu ... make one who has thick glasses and a hearing aid, so you can 'accidentally' take your glasses off and turn off the audio as needed to keep your sanity?  The alternative of course is that everyone is a monster, at which point the game just becomes some weird Nurgle from 40K went to Devon thing.  Cthulu only works in a game if you are afraid of it ... invite it to your wedding?  Really?  I can't see that being a very social game at all.  Fun, but more get on steam sale for a laugh now and then type fun.

Elyria on the other hand has a wide open story, and an obvious focus on player communities, which appeals to me far more.  You could really build something ... without having to plonk down real money to be on the Gold server and more to buy a house.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Yanocchi said:
    It's funny how CoE ended up selling houses for real money just like Revival. Influence Points can be earned by promoting CoE but the majority of people will be getting them for real money.

It's almost the same setup. In Revival there were tenements, cottages, houses, manses and estates. The prices are much lower in CoE, though. A stone manor costs around $275 if someone gets 3300 IP as add-ons with real money.

Zultra said:

The difference between the payment schemes of CoE and Revival has just diminished greatly with the announcement about IP buildings.
    Lol, are they really moving to that model?

Called it.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    edited May 2016
    Dullahan said:
    Yanocchi said:

Zultra said:

Called it.
    Yet there will be those that insist this isn't P2W...  even though you can buy yourself 1 3 month head start, land, titles (even a Kingdom!) and now buildings for cash...

I think I may keep my pledges but drop them down to the lowest tier.  Can always bump them up after the Kickstarter Ends.

Still have a few days to decide, but just getting more and more uncomfortable with these guys.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Vucar said:
    Yanocchi said:
    Were you able to get the same housing options in Revival without paying money?

Genuinely curious, did not follow that game.

Developers of Revival were planning to allow player-built settlements at least on gold servers. People could have started a camp somewhere in the wilderness, growing it into a village, attracting NPCs into the area, and later growing it into a larger settlement. That's where players could have built houses without real money. They were also planning to allow players with shipbuilding skill to build ships without real life money involved.

In the first town they planned to have housing for 500 players and 1500 NPCs. The idea was that players could buy houses for real money and later there would have been a system allowing players to buy and sell housing for real money between themselves. They would have also sold houses for real money in a few other pre-designed towns or cities in the game world. House ownership wouldn't have been locked to early backers that way. They also wanted to have elaborate house ownership allowing people to have tenants or sharing their houses with other player characters or NPCs.

Revival is not exactly dead but it seems to be extremely unlikely it will ever be created either. Lead developers who joined Illfonic from their own company Skyward Corp. got the intellectual property rights and Revival assets. They want to start raising money for Revival by doing other products like pen-and-paper RPG, collectable cards, small mobile or PC games etc.

Here is their website - http://www.theleston.com/

• ZultraZultra Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Dullahan said:
    Yanocchi said:

Zultra said:

Called it.
    Yet there will be those that insist this isn't P2W...  even though you can buy yourself 1 3 month head start, land, titles (even a Kingdom!) and now buildings for cash...

I think I may keep my pledges but drop them down to the lowest tier.  Can always bump them up after the Kickstarter Ends.

Still have a few days to decide, but just getting more and more uncomfortable with these guys.

It is not pay to win at all, it is a KS pledge reward to help build the world at launch, all that stuff can be lost.
    Sign up for Chronicles of Elyria here don't forget to use my friend code - B4ACB3

Join the revolutionary MMO! 
  • JoreelJoreel Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Wasn't Revival cancelled 2 months ago? I remember watching a video from Dm21 gaming that talked about it.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Zultra said:
    Dullahan said:
    Yanocchi said:

Zultra said:

Called it.

It is not pay to win at all, it is a KS pledge reward to help build the world at launch, all that stuff can be lost.
    We have VERY different definitions of P2W.   The fact that you can lose an item has zero impact on it being P2W from my perspective.  P2W means using real world money to buy yourself an in-game advantage.  Usually these are small edges.  Buying yourself a 3 month headstart in a PvP game, buying land, buildings and spending $10,000 to make yourself "King" are all purely huge P2W advantages in game.

This method of using real money to buy land/buildings is exactly what Revival was trying to do. 

Have the developers posted a clear plan for how the IP will become converted into Story Points (SP) at launch and whether or not you will be able to continue to buy them for real money?  If so can you link it? 

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• DrakenhoffDrakenhoff Member UncommonPosts: 301
    edited May 2016
    Zultra said:
    Dullahan said:
    Yanocchi said:

Zultra said:

Called it.

We have VERY different definitions of P2W.   The fact that you can lose an item has zero impact on it being P2W from my perspective.  P2W means using real world money to buy yourself an in-game advantage.  Usually these are small edges.  Buying yourself a 3 month headstart in a PvP game, buying land, buildings and spending $10,000 to make yourself "King" are all purely huge P2W advantages in game.

This method of using real money to buy land/buildings is exactly what Revival was trying to do. 

Have the developers posted a clear plan for how the IP will become converted into Story Points (SP) at launch and whether or not you will be able to continue to buy them for real money?  If so can you link it? 

They have mentioned plenty of times in the forums, on the ks comments and in irc.
    When the game is released all unspent ip will be converted to sp. The only things that can be bought with sp atm is sparks of life.

I am not linking it for you, it's not my job to trawl through forums and other sites looking for something you can't find.

Signed Davan Drakenhoff ruler of Castle Drakenhoff the impenatrable castle made from cardboard

Zultra said:
    Dullahan said:
    Yanocchi said:

Zultra said:

Called it.

You wont be able to buy SP with cash, and IP goes away after launch.

Your definition of P2W is using real life cash to buy an advantage. P2W is very subjective. I dont view anything in CoE as P2W yet. Could it go that route, possibly, but I dont think so. To me P2W means using cash to buy something that is not obtainable in game or buying something that cannot be lost or that breaks the rules of the game that only paying people can get. None of that exists in CoE. So, to me, CoE is not P2W.