Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unlocks W/O Sub

WaldoCornWaldoCorn Member UncommonPosts: 235
Looking to play without a monthly commitment, yet I'd like to come and go as I please and have things like extra races in Character Creation, Storage on my ship, plus all the expansions.

Im going to play through from lvl 1, and basically want access to everything, just don't want a monthly.

Can this be done?

Thanks!

See the world and all within it.
Live a lifetime in every minute.

Comments

• ookibakaookibaka Member UncommonPosts: 38
    If you want that immediately, you'll be visiting the cash shop to buy all your unlocks. 
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    ^^^ agree
    not bad if you only want one character, otherwise about 3 or 4 months equivalent for the unlocks for all characters
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Simple answer: no.

Caveat 1: some unlocks can be purchased IF they are available on the "auction house" IF you can afford and IF you are patient - major problem is you will have a currency cap that is pretty low. Now if you are playing with a friend who is a subscriber etc. barriers can be overcome but - simple answer - no. 

Caveat 2: doesn't stop you playing the core game and there is stuff that you simply don't need.
  • mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279
    edited January 2016
    You can unlock Many things without a sub. Problem is, at this point in the game economy, you will be spending your credit cap for many of the unlocks. People often times confuse what you NEEED with what you WANT.

Bad news:
    Most/Many unlocks are going to be expensive - You will need someone trustworthy to purchase items above your credit cap.
    There are things you will never get to do regularly - OPS are restricted completely, Flashpoints and other things are restricted to X number a week.

Good News
    You can permanent unlock almost everything with in game credits.
    The base game is free, no need to spend a dime up to level 50, you  get 2 characters to try out what you want to see if the game is for you.
    For a measly one time cost you can unlock many things. $5 cartel coins gets you Preferred status with increases you credit cap, toon limit, and gives you many free unlocks.
    Amazon is running a deal right now $40 for all expansions, 2 months sub, and a bunch of CC's and it gets you preferred status when the sub dies.

TL;DR
    Yes you can, it just takes Time/Effort/Friends or any combination thereof.

*edit*
    Ohh and selfless plug Use my link for free stuff/unlocks
    Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    Potentially yes, but not really.  you will be limited on how much content you can do outside the main story if you only want the solo main story part of the game then sure that works. Not sure if people realize this but it's actually cheaper to just sub vs pay for each little part you want. the lowest cc is going for about 5 bucks, which may get you 1 thing on the cc store and i'm not talking about cosmetic. the things you need to play how you are asking "access to everything"   yea you could pay for those parts only or get your pass for fp but you are spending way more. my advice: if you have the funds to nickle and dime yourself on the cc store buying game "parts" then just sub for the month. far better deal and you can just end the sub and come back next time you get the itch. 

I've been a sub since day 1 and the game has had a lot of ups and downs but it's made improvements and is in a really good place right now. 
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• GremeGreme Member UncommonPosts: 66

Some extra points to add to those mentioned above:

You will not be able to access any expansion content and raise your character level past 50 (level cap is now 65) unless you either subscribe for a month (you get access to all expansions) or you buy expansions separately (Rise of the Hutt Cartel/Shadow of Revan). It is cheaper to subscribe because if you subscribe and lose your subscription you keep all the expansions unlocked that way, however you wont get access to any upcoming Knights of the Fallen Empire chapters - you will need to subscribe again to play them.

Your credits will be capped at 200k (f2p player) or 350k (preffered player - former subscriber or person that bought cartel coins). Everything you get above that goes to your Escrow account, which can be accessed in 2 ways - if you become a subscriber you get access to all your credits or you can buy Escrow transfers that let you transfer credits from Escrow account to your regular balance. This also allows you to temporarily have credits above your cap which in turn might allow you to buy some of more expensive unlocks. However this is very expensive way to do it as you will usually pay double price of each unlock (regular price + cost of Escrow transfers) so as mentioned above it is better to find a subscriber to help you with unlocks.

Some things cant be unlocked in any way:

- you wont be able to send credits in mail (that includes mails between your own characters),

- if you are f2p player you wont be able to send items in mail, however you can use your legacy bank to transfer items between your characters, preffered player can send one item per mail,

- as f2p player you wont be able to trade with other people, you can however use GTN (auction house),

- ability to speak in general chat will be limited to once in a while (1 minute for f2p, few seconds for preffered),

- apparently you wont be able to access Ranked Warzones (havent tested that one personally),

- character appearance change after character is created costs Cartel Coins (even if you are subscriber but you get discount if you are subscriber),

- collection unlocks (ability to access your previously purchased Cartel armors/mounts/pets etc by all your characters) can only be purchased with Cartel Coins.

• WaldoCornWaldoCorn Member UncommonPosts: 235
    Ok lets see, if I get a sub for a month say, and make a character from one of the races that is locked to me currently, and use the third slot to do it, will I be able to stil play that character when my sub runs out? Does a sub unlock a third slot and other races?

Also does a sub unlock ship storage, if so, does that go away when the sub ends?

Same question about quickbars, one just aint enough for me, Does a sub let me put more bars on screen, and does that go away when sub ends?

I know it seems wild, but Im an older disabled person with extremely limited funds, (Live with my Son and his Wife so have internet), and I try to keep my economic footprint (on their lives) to an absolute minimum. Enough about me.

Love the game, need more storage and quickbars, want to play another race.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606
    F2P gets you the class story level 1-50. That alone makes it worth the play. 
  • GremeGreme Member UncommonPosts: 66
    edited January 2016
    WaldoCorn said:
    Ok lets see, if I get a sub for a month say, and make a character from one of the races that is locked to me currently, and use the third slot to do it, will I be able to stil play that character when my sub runs out? Does a sub unlock a third slot and other races?

Also does a sub unlock ship storage, if so, does that go away when the sub ends?

Same question about quickbars, one just aint enough for me, Does a sub let me put more bars on screen, and does that go away when sub ends?

I know it seems wild, but Im an older disabled person with extremely limited funds, (Live with my Son and his Wife so have internet), and I try to keep my economic footprint (on their lives) to an absolute minimum. Enough about me.

Love the game, need more storage and quickbars, want to play another race.

After you lose subscription, you become Preffered player, which has by default 6 character slots (those that have KotFE have 8 slots). You should be able to play character of different race created during subscirption (keep in mind subs dont have access to all races by default, Togruta and Cathar need to be bought from Cartel Market while some other race/class combinations are still locked during character creation unless you buy unlock for them or level any class of that race to level 50). If you have created more characters than you have character slots after losing subscription you get to chose which of them you want to play.

Ship storage is Legacy unlock, check your Legacy tab for the credit price (under global unlocks). You keep it after you lose the sub.

Preffered players have pernament access to 4 quickbars (you have to turn them on in options), that should be more than enough to play.

EDIT: BTW as a f2p player you should be able to use 2 quickbars, you might need to turn the second one in options though.

EDIT 2: regarding creating new characters after you lose sub, you will be limited to those races/class combinations that you had available before you become subscriber and to those you bought unlocks for.

EDIT 3: I just realised I've mistaken Cargo Hold with GTN unlock for your ship, I forgot you dont have access to Cargo Hold as f2p. If you are sub or preffered player you get access to it without any extra costs. My apologises for providing you with wrong information above.

Post edited by Greme on
  • WaldoCornWaldoCorn Member UncommonPosts: 235
    Thank you very much, that gives me everything I want, awesome.