Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOFTW - Dave Brevik Leaves Gazillion - Marvel Heroes 2015

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited January 2016 in Videos Discussion

imageMMOFTW - Dave Brevik Leaves Gazillion - Marvel Heroes 2015

MMOFTW this week is all about Bless' Korean Open Beta plans in KR, Black Desert's CBT2 changes, Chronicles of Elyria's life-span dev journal, Shards Online's player merchants, and Dave Brevik's departure from Marvel Heroes.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Dragon43591Dragon43591 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Why have talks become about the same games all of which were discussed the previous year, nothing actually new, just the same old crap that suggests these games will be boring. It would be nice if preorders and everything of the like even reviews stopped ruining games in closed beta before they even came out. Here's an idea stop posting things that aren't related to MMO's and arent repetitive. If you don't have something to say that hasn't already been discussed, don't. I don't think its the gaming companies ruining games themselves, its the amount of mass media people put out showing how the game works and turning it into a try hard festival.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    paying for lives makes permadeath pointless. Terrible pricing model.

Marvel Heroes has been on a downslide for a while and I'd say they are in full blown maintenance mode. Expect minor additions over the next year with less desirable heroes and costumes sold.
  • rapatpamprapatpamp Member UncommonPosts: 144
    FrodoFragins said:

Marvel Heroes has been on a downslide for a while and I'd say they are in full blown maintenance mode. Expect minor additions over the next year with less desirable heroes and costumes sold.

Actually Marvel Heroes has been steadily gaining players, it's never been easier to find groups for raids, hubs are full, ect.

Now as far as heroes goes noone knows who's coming this year just that there will not be 12.

The people leaving Gazillion is troubling but we won't know what's happening until it does.

Still games doing very well for them and has been for over a year now, remember most players use the client not Steam so don't go by those numbers.
  • WinterSnowblindWinterSnowblind Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Ignoring the staff leakages, the player base just seems to be diminishing and I don't think you can claim those rapidly dropping numbers are just happening on Steam. It got a massive boost with the 2015 update and the release of Age of Ultron, so maybe things have just reset to normal, but I think there's a deeper problem than that. You don't go from 250+ employees to "around" 60 within a year for no reason.

One major update a year (which is massively behind schedule) isn't enough to keep players interested and their schedule for new characters is woefully inadequate. Do they add characters that are appearing in current movies? Maybe some from the several TV shows that are running? How about from current comic events or from a new series that has exploded in popularity?

I think anyone could name several characters that could be added to play up mass appeal and tie into current events, but instead this year has been populated by characters like.. Iceman, War Machine and Black Cat. Occasionally adding lesser known fan favourite characters is one thing, but it's been dominated by C-list characters that have little relevancy to anything going on and no one cares to come check them out. Even Iron Fist was added and we're at least a year before the Netflix series could potentially propel him to Daredevil levels of popularity. So why add him *now* instead of waiting to capitalise?

The management of this stuff is a mess and the game continues to try and appeal to the select few super hardcore players and no one else. Unless this 2016 update seriously revamps the game, I don't expect it'll be around for 2017.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,991
    If we don't even know if these MMOs will be released outside Asia, why cover them? Just saying that's the intention is not enough.

Black Desert is being worked on for outside Asia so that's fine. No energy potions in the cash shop? That's better than what we get in Western cash shops. But only believe it when you don't see it.

Chronicles of Elyria has a unique revenue system, good to see and hope it works out as we need more than "F"2P as the inevitable option.

Dave Brevik: blah blah blah, blah blah blah. Who knows, he might do a real MMO this time?
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    Im so happy the endless stream of new mmo titles has near stopped now, that was killing the whole market.

Now we can actually go back to how it used to be and "old" mmo titles are all actually "current" mmo titles. There will be no more "oh that's old now".
  • arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    Personally, i hope MMOFTW timing is longer....

RIP Orc Choppa

• snicolsnicol Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Funny he compared the shard "merchants" to old school ragnarok, when he actually described exactly what UO vendors did back in the day
  • toomuch4212toomuch4212 Member UncommonPosts: 82
    My problem with Bless is the amount of time its been in development just doesn't bode well for a NA release anytime relatively soon. Even if "localization" only took less than a year (doubtful) it still wouldn't release here until at least 2017, much likely 2018 or even 2019. Which is normal for MMO's especially imports (KR ones even moreso) but its built on URE3 same as tera.
    So by release, visually, at most it would be nearly a decade old with a few button and whistle upgrades. Not saying graphics make the game, or MMO, but in the age of BDO skyforge, FFIV and a lot of next gen MMOs and AAA ones at that, coming out in the next 1-3 years, I don't see it holding up well against other competition.

With such time in development, and so much unknown, it may redeem itself with upgrades visually and a vast amount of innovations and additions as a result of such a hold up and testing which may end as a positive result. But its looking like it may hinder it rather than help once it hits a decade...
  • YorlikYorlik Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Wow - this Shards Online Video was way outdated - graphics are clearly better now. The Uaran map is not a really good showcase for what the game is today.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Yorlik said:
    Wow - this Shards Online Video was way outdated - graphics are clearly better now. The Uaran map is not a really good showcase for what the game is today.

Aye, I need Derek to make us a new trailer that's quick and easy to use. Chop chop!

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Awesome vid, ty =-)
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    edited January 2016
    rapatpamp said:

Actually Marvel Heroes has been steadily gaining players, it's never been easier to find groups for raids, hubs are full, ect.
    Yeah, the steam numbers don't indicate that at all and neither does the need for layoffs last fall.

http://steamcharts.com/app/226320#1y

I'm pretty close to returning to the game I think though as I really enjoy unlocking heroes just by playing and don't have the drive to continue playing Devilian or return to D3 with the new season.

• ZaqirZaqir Member UncommonPosts: 55
    rapatpamp said:
    FrodoFragins said:

Now as far as heroes goes noone knows who's coming this year just that there will not be 12.

The people leaving Gazillion is troubling but we won't know what's happening until it does.

Still games doing very well for them and has been for over a year now, remember most players use the client not Steam so don't go by those numbers.

Marvel in fact HAS been on the decline, content has been delayed, nerfed or changed from what was promised, unbalanced heroes exist, the game has lost quality staff with replacements not even knowing what to do at this point. The game has pigeon holed itself and Brevik needs to take a big portion of the blame as he went for low hanging fruit/easy $$