Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why SWTOR Is Worth Playing - Review

UnkillableUnkillable Member UncommonPosts: 123
I recently re-subbed to SWTOR on the 1st of this month, and i have to say i have been greatly enjoying the game. Being an mmo vet of sort, and keeping current with most mmo titles, my return to swtor began on a "lets just give it a shot" basis.

It turns out i couldn't access my old level 50 account because i no longer had access to the old email. this gave me a good idea of what the phone support is like- which is BTW the ONLY form of support they have. 100% outsourced outside of America non-english native speaking support staff, very hard to communicate with indeed.

So i had a level 50 with vet rewards and prolly tons of cartel coins, and i had to make a new account completely. That was a bummer, but i started a brand new account and made a level 1 free to play Republic Scoundrel...

This is where the fun began. the story mode gameplay in swtor solo is amazing and entertaining and is the ONLY mmo PVE i have ever felt comfortable playing. I quickly realized this was the only PVE experience that has ever held my attention and not sucked completely. Questing in any MMO makes me sick, but SWTOR doesn't have questing in my eyes, its playable story that has open combat parts that you can stealth through or fight packs of mobs often to work your way to the story objective area.

after leveling in a server wide XP boost i found myself a level 26 scoundrel in about 1.5days playing time, just a few casual hours day. I SUBBED - and the game only got better. i was granted a instant level 60 of my choice, just by subbing only 15$ - and proceeded to try out different classes until i landed on sith Operative Medicine healer spec.

I started the level 60 story and played it until level 64 then pvp'd until 65. i then had enough pvp Commendations to buy almost a full set of 65 pvp gear. This has been a great few days, and oh yea, it took me about 4 hours to follow the story line to level 64!! nice speedy leveling helps alot for a guy that HATES to level. At one point my Dark side decision to cold bloodily kill someone, actually sparked a real sense of emotion and stunned me a little bit... which never happens to me with any game, unless i count when i was 9 and playing wolfenstien 3D and shot an attack dog and killed it, i stood out of my chair and said " i didn't want to kill a dog!! oh no!"

SWTOR has come along way from release, and the failed Ilum days, it now has more polish then any mmo experience i have found  to this date. i look forward to the PVP even though its pretty simple  "que for a BG type warzone pvp".

I wholeheartedly recommend SWTOR to anyone looking for a MMO to play right now.

Para-vidya  level 65 MED OP - The Harbinger Server

Comments

• workhorse12workhorse12 Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I concur. Just started playing free account over Christmas with friends.  Having fun running Flashpoints.  Solid MMO. I kinda want to buy a month and play to 65.
  • UnkillableUnkillable Member UncommonPosts: 123
    thanks for the post, i can tell you it is totally worth the sub. heres the thing with the level 60:

you can create a level 60 then play it a whole a crap ton, test it out,  IF YOU DONT HIT LEVEL 61 - you can delete the char and tryout AS MANY CLASSES as you want, just as long as you don't hit level 61.

i tried out about 6 different classes and specs until i landed on what i wanted, just by loging out and deleting the char before i hit 61, and bam, you can test every class in the game this way if you wanted.

the game just has play-ability and depth, the pvp shoud get more interesting when i get into ranked and have enough pvp stat (expertise).  but overall its been enthralling for sure
  • UnkillableUnkillable Member UncommonPosts: 123
    would love to see the game talked about a little more. maybe some new opinions in here?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I did this on every single class but never got past i think was 32 or 33 on a couple classes.I was already getting bored around level 20 but pressed on to see if it got better.I think fact it was a Star Wars game and so much hype around it was only reason i stuck around so long,about 2 months.
    I went back i think 3x to try it again and again and each tieme i got bored even faster,that is how i know it is not a game for me because all the games i really like i have played over and over.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ImpacthoundImpacthound Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Being an mmo vet of sort, and keeping current with most mmo titles

So i had a level 50 with vet rewards and prolly tons of cartel coins, and i had to make a new account completely

I quickly realized this was the only PVE experience that has ever held my attention and not sucked completely. Questing in any MMO makes me sick

This has been a great few days, and oh yea, it took me about 4 hours to follow the story line to level 64!! nice speedy leveling helps alot for a guy that HATES to level. 
    Heavily contradicting yourself.

after leveling in a server wide XP boost i found myself a level 26 scoundrel in about 1.5days playing time, just a few casual hours day. I SUBBED - and the game only got better. i was granted a instant level 60 of my choice, just by subbing only 15$ 
    Are you paid for this shilling, or do you do it for free? I couldn't make it sound any more like an ad if I tried.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    I've been playing it since launch. The story focus is mostly what's kept me playing, as I'm not a big fan of the old MMO grind either (much like the OP). The Class stories were a brilliant touch, and I'm glad that 4.0's made it so that you can now focus on running them and leveling that way, without diluting the experience by making you go do all kinds of side content to keep up to level with the planets.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    i played from day 1. stop playing it after nov 2015 patch, now it should be renamed to star wars: the old boring game, after 3, 1/2 years with 12 chars to 65, 80mill and all houses full, and 70% achievements done they didnt add a shit new to it. instead they remake the hard by level the old FPs and Raids.
    fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    I am playing it right now and having fun.

But I am taking issue with how easy the story content is.  Normally I would feel like story content SHOULD be easier, as it is something everyone could experience.  Now that I am going through it like it is a single player game, though, I am missing having difficulty options.  Oh, time for my bounty hunter to kill 7 jedi?  I'll just pull the entire room, my companion can heal me through nearly anything.

I say nearly anything because it turns out they can't heal me in dps spec through soloing 4 mans.

I also don't like extra exp events.  Is there a way to turn those off?  My bounty hunter is 7-8 levels too high for everything, and even with the downlevel he is 2-3 levels higher than the enemies.

I wish they had made it more clear that I could be soloing flashpoints.  I only just found out.  I wish they would reorganize the flashpoints, companion quests, and main missions to play more like a full single player game.  Right now, especially with me being an inappropriately high level, I sometimes do things out of order.  When I go back it doesn't always make sense.

The performance of the game still leaves a lot to be desired.  Very frustrating that targeting something causes an FPS drop.

But yes I am having fun, the story is great, the voice acting is amazing, and the game does a good job making you feel like the hero.
    Baitness said:
    I am playing it right now and having fun.

But I am taking issue with how easy the story content is.  Normally I would feel like story content SHOULD be easier, as it is something everyone could experience.  Now that I am going through it like it is a single player game, though, I am missing having difficulty options.  Oh, time for my bounty hunter to kill 7 jedi?  I'll just pull the entire room, my companion can heal me through nearly anything.

I say nearly anything because it turns out they can't heal me in dps spec through soloing 4 mans.

I also don't like extra exp events.  Is there a way to turn those off?  My bounty hunter is 7-8 levels too high for everything, and even with the downlevel he is 2-3 levels higher than the enemies.

I wish they had made it more clear that I could be soloing flashpoints.  I only just found out.  I wish they would reorganize the flashpoints, companion quests, and main missions to play more like a full single player game.  Right now, especially with me being an inappropriately high level, I sometimes do things out of order.  When I go back it doesn't always make sense.

The performance of the game still leaves a lot to be desired.  Very frustrating that targeting something causes an FPS drop.

But yes I am having fun, the story is great, the voice acting is amazing, and the game does a good job making you feel like the hero.
    Having a difficulty slider similar to what City of Heroes used to have would be a good solution.
    Currently the problem is that with the new Influence system, the power level between a new player with no Legacy bonuses, and a veteran is huge.

They can't balance everything across the board without some serious work, or without nerfing the companions way down again, which got them an incredibly angry player base last time.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

• FlintsteenFlintsteen Member UncommonPosts: 282
    Personly i'm not a fan of 4.0.  Having said that swtor is definedtly worth playing if you never tried it before or left before 2.0.  For thoose people that stayed with swtor during the bad times and allready have played all class stories and other content it's not so clear. 4.0 realy didn't bring anything new imo other than more solo story. Other than that it made the sologame easier by boosting companions and removed the classic FP's and made them all tactical FP's.  Two changes i personly dont like. (never liked tactical FP's)

Basicly if you only play for (solo)story swtor is great.  Then again if you like your gameplay to be somewhat challenging,  maybe not. (i know we can dismiss companions/set them to passive to make things abit harder.....)
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    I recently re-subbed to SWTOR on the 1st of this month, and i have to say i have been greatly enjoying the game. Being an mmo vet of sort, and keeping current with most mmo titles, my return to swtor began on a "lets just give it a shot" basis.

It turns out i couldn't access my old level 50 account because i no longer had access to the old email. this gave me a good idea of what the phone support is like- which is BTW the ONLY form of support they have. 100% outsourced outside of America non-english native speaking support staff, very hard to communicate with indeed.

So i had a level 50 with vet rewards and prolly tons of cartel coins, and i had to make a new account completely. That was a bummer, but i started a brand new account and made a level 1 free to play Republic Scoundrel...

This is where the fun began. the story mode gameplay in swtor solo is amazing and entertaining and is the ONLY mmo PVE i have ever felt comfortable playing. I quickly realized this was the only PVE experience that has ever held my attention and not sucked completely. Questing in any MMO makes me sick, but SWTOR doesn't have questing in my eyes, its playable story that has open combat parts that you can stealth through or fight packs of mobs often to work your way to the story objective area.

after leveling in a server wide XP boost i found myself a level 26 scoundrel in about 1.5days playing time, just a few casual hours day. I SUBBED - and the game only got better. i was granted a instant level 60 of my choice, just by subbing only 15$ - and proceeded to try out different classes until i landed on sith Operative Medicine healer spec.

I started the level 60 story and played it until level 64 then pvp'd until 65. i then had enough pvp Commendations to buy almost a full set of 65 pvp gear. This has been a great few days, and oh yea, it took me about 4 hours to follow the story line to level 64!! nice speedy leveling helps alot for a guy that HATES to level. At one point my Dark side decision to cold bloodily kill someone, actually sparked a real sense of emotion and stunned me a little bit... which never happens to me with any game, unless i count when i was 9 and playing wolfenstien 3D and shot an attack dog and killed it, i stood out of my chair and said " i didn't want to kill a dog!! oh no!"

SWTOR has come along way from release, and the failed Ilum days, it now has more polish then any mmo experience i have found  to this date. i look forward to the PVP even though its pretty simple  "que for a BG type warzone pvp".

I wholeheartedly recommend SWTOR to anyone looking for a MMO to play right now.

Para-vidya  level 65 MED OP - The Harbinger Server

"i found myself a level 26 scoundrel in about 1.5days playing time, just a few casual hours day."

"i was granted a instant level 60 of my choice, just by subbing only 15$" 

"pvp'd until 65. i then had enough pvp Commendations to buy almost a full set of 65 pvp gear."

"and oh yea, it took me about 4 hours to follow the story line to level 64!!"

Are the above really examples of bragging points that would entice anyone to play this game.  If they are, there is no wonder the MMORPG genre is in the sad state it is today.

All I can do is shake my head ...
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    I need to give this a try again. I still have a bad taste in my mouth from launch.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • Bluehound17Bluehound17 Member UncommonPosts: 74
    keyword WAS worth playing not anymore.
  • vectrexevovectrexevo Member UncommonPosts: 167
    It is better to just sub to the game. To many things are locked behind a pay wall and even then your paying for a 7 day pass to do things.
  • cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    edited January 2016
    I played when the game came out and was a sub game, enjoyed it for about 6 months then personal reasons forced me to stop playing.  When it went f2p I jumped back in and found the restrictions for a free account to be horrible, even the restrictions put on a former sub account like mine where just really bad so I quit playing again. 

I have been watching the game now for over a year and have yet to see them ease up on the restrictions enough to tempt me to come back.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I've returned to the game also and it's nice not to have to do all the side quests in order to finish my class stories.  They have cut out those long skill timers and helpers do their jobs well.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    If you didn't like it before, you still won't like it, since it's still the same game.  The last time i played was around a week ago, and i played for several weeks before that.

They seriously need to revamp their F2P system.  It's outdated, too restrictive, and not on par with other F2P mmorpgs out there.
  • BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    Torval said:
    I played when the game came out and was a sub game, enjoyed it for about 6 months then personal reasons forced me to stop playing.  When it went f2p I jumped back in and found the restrictions for a free account to be horrible, even the restrictions put on a former sub account like mine where just really bad so I quit playing again. 

I have been watching the game now for over a year and have yet to see them ease up on the restrictions enough to tempt me to come back.
    Just subscribe again and it will be like when you subbed before.
    Well the problem is several people (myself included) don't think it is worth the full price of a sub.  I did come back, and I am having fun, but I got that 2 months +cartel coins deal for 20 dollars.  I think the game is worth a $10 a month sub, but its technical problems and solo focus make it hard pressed to compete with other games at $15 a month.

If this game were only $10 a month I would be recommending it to everyone.  You can suck up the windows 10 crashes, the framerate problems and the weird engine bugs at that price.

At $15 a month I start comparing it to other games at that price point... and it doesn't compare very well.  While SWTOR is the clear winner on story, the technical problems and solo focus make the other games look like the better deal.

At $10 a month it is competing with RuneScape.  Now that is a VERY favorable comparison for SWTOR.
  • XyireXyire Member UncommonPosts: 152
    It's a great game, the "fixes" they have made to address hero engine issues really make the graphics feel disconnected from the damage you're doing.  If they could just fix the engine so things like the damage from a sith warrs slam happens at the end of the slam to match the animation I'd be a happy camper.  Since they seem to be unable to address the engine issues, I don't really think it's worth playing.  

They did great things with the game.. its big flaw is the POS engine they built it on.... :(
    Torval said:

Just subscribe again and it will be like when you subbed before.
    ^Pretty much. They're not going to ease up on their restrictions since it's working for them.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I've been playing it since launch. The story focus is mostly what's kept me playing, as I'm not a big fan of the old MMO grind either (much like the OP). The Class stories were a brilliant touch, and I'm glad that 4.0's made it so that you can now focus on running them and leveling that way, without diluting the experience by making you go do all kinds of side content to keep up to level with the planets.
    You know i "think" i could  play a game just for the great story,FFX sort of captured me that way,however i did not find the story to be that good.Sometimes it was ok ,some good cutscenes but most of the time,it was predictable and nothing more than one conspiracy theory after another.

Then adding in those red/green rooms was a total immersion breaker...gee i wonder if there is a story CS here in this red/green room?I can see the room but i can't enter it...seriously?Who is blocking me from entering... a red color light?.../sigh.
    Most develoeprs simply do not have the skills to create an immersive game,they fidn simple ideas like ,ok lets add some voice overs,ok lets create a 3 scenario quest system with + - or nothing results,lets dot some mobs and make a quest for them,all SIMPLE ideas,you need to know how to implement it to make it really immersive.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.