Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finished Dishonored 1 and loved it

WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
I have to say i have been disappointed many a time but this game delivered,i loved every minute of it.

The game is set in an era of old pistols and swords but adds some very unique twists with magic and the ability to teleport  around.
The game gave me solid graphics,the ability to move around almost  anywhere i wanted and the npc's were challenging and sort of realistic at the same time.

The game play is about strategy and cunning as well as finding all the secrets and currency to buy ammo and upgrades.

It  is not a super long game but man,there is a lot of effort went into making all the maps and assets and i still felt satisfied  with only 35 hours of game play.Normally i wouldn't but this game was just fun to play,i found myself not wanting to put it down.The game allows you the choice to play a killing machine or stealth mode and either way it is very challenging and i only played on the normal setting, i doubt i could play on the hardest mode.

I am 100% definitely in for Dishonored 2 when it comes out in 2016.

I bought the GOTY edition ,you cannot go wrong for  $11.20 on Steam,easy bargain lots of fun.I still have other game modes and more gaming to play from this whole package but just wanted to say that playing the main game for the first time was enjoyable,i can see me playing it again to find more secrets and change my weapon and play style a bit.I was basically killing everything lmao.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Comments

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Dishonored was a good one.  I didn't find it quite as intense as the old Thief games, but sort of an apples to pears comparison.

If you like those types of games, you might be interested in Styx: Master of Shadows if you haven't played that yet.

Smaller studio, but pretty neat game.  The gameplay is somewhat similar to Dishonored but it's not really built for combat as much as Dishonored is.  You can kill and assassinate people and hide their bodies and all that good stuff.

With the sales, you can usually get it pretty cheap.  It also has a sequel releasing this year, I believe.

Looks like steam has it for 7.49(US$) atm:

Styx on Steam
  • suckm3suckm3 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    edited January 2016
    You should try Hitman Absolution as well then.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”? -Albert Einstein 

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Is this first person only ? If it is I cannot play it. So many games don't have a third person option. I wish they did for people with motion sickness especially single player ones that will not affect other people in terms of PvP or ladders.

So many good games I have had to miss  :3
    Chamber of Chains
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    I also loved Dishonored.

You may also like Deus Ex Human Evolution, and the new upcoming DE: Mankind Divided. It also has this open level design where you can complete your objective in multiple ways.

Aside from Hitman Absolution, there is also a new Hitman game (open level) coming in 2016.

It is a good time for stealth games with some RPG elements. 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Took you long enough :) Great game.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    And this is in an mmo forum to talk about mmos because?.....
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I never finished it myself.  Honestly Bioshock is more closer to this style of game then anything.  Which I also have not finished.  But yea I lose interest in a game very easily.  Right now I'm playing NWN 2 again.
    Are you onto something or just on something?

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

filmoret said:
    I never finished it myself.  Honestly Bioshock is more closer to this style of game then anything.  Which I also have not finished.  But yea I lose interest in a game very easily.  Right now I'm playing NWN 2 again.
    Bioshock is more a straight action shooter. Dishonored has a big stealth component, and open levels with multiple solutions. So i would say Dishonored in very different from Bioshock, gameplay wise. 
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited January 2016
    I got dishonored for free on PS3 with PS+ and started playing a few months ago but never finished it. While i enjoyed some of  the parts i played im glad i didnt buy it. I didnt enjoy the first person stealth/melee gameplay. I hope they add the option to switch to third person in Dishonored 2 like Skyrim and Fallout 4.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    I just orded Dishonored from Amazon last night.  I'm playing Final Fantasy 13-2 after giving up on Dark Souls 2.  Trying to collect all the "great" games for my PS3 before it becomes so outdated I can't get games for it anymore.  What gets me tho is that Dishonored never makes the great games lists.  Even my most loved Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen hits some of those great games lists but never Dishonored.  I'm thinking this was a gem that was seriously passed over by the greater public.

I just orded Dishonored from Amazon last night.  I'm playing Final Fantasy 13-2 after giving up on Dark Souls 2.  Trying to collect all the "great" games for my PS3 before it becomes so outdated I can't get games for it anymore.  What gets me tho is that Dishonored never makes the great games lists.  Even my most loved Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen hits some of those great games lists but never Dishonored.  I'm thinking this was a gem that was seriously passed over by the greater public.
    It had a lukewarm reception.  Everyone believed it was going to be the spiritual successor(second coming) of Thief. 
    But, really the gameplay is quite different... completely different atmosphere, magic powers, etc.

So, basically, alot of people were set-up(or set themselves up) for a disappointment.  They both share the stealth genre, but past that it's a case of apples and pears.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    I keep hearing nothing but good things about this game.
    Maybe i should give it a try, also considering the lack of mmorpgs that catch my interest these days.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    cheyane said:
    Is this first person only ? If it is I cannot play it. So many games don't have a third person option. I wish they did for people with motion sickness especially single player ones that will not affect other people in terms of PvP or ladders.

You know i agree 100% i am one of those that suffers from the same problems.
    I did somehow get through it,when i started to get those sort of epilepsy feelings from the fp view i just turned it off and went outside,walk the dog whatever then went back at it later on.

I actually do not believe it is the FP view that causes the problems because i spent many hours playing Quake and Unreal and had absolutely no problems at all.I wish i could nail it down but i doubt that would matter because i can't change game's graphics.

However in for example a low poly game with global lighting like W101 i still get that epilepsy feeling because the camera is too close behind the player.However that would not explain why i have no problem with Unreal a game i still play often and it is all FP view.Perhaps  well obviously a combination fo things ,i know in Unreal it uses a default  FOV of 90,so maybe that is a contributing factor,too much peripheral view might be a problem.

I have noticed Thief before,i believe i even played it but not for very long and i don't remember why i didn't play it further,perhaps i was just too busy with those other games.

Since mmorpg's are just not cutting it right now,i may go back and check out Thief again and that Hitman and you know now i think about it,i got that Deus X as a Christmas gift and never played it (.I will also check oput Styx and a few othjer games i had no tiem for in the past,maybe it is a good omen that mmorg's are failing right now,lets me catch up on some good games.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited January 2016
    What is better, this or Styx?

Edit:

Wizardry said:

I actually do not believe it is the FP view that causes the problems because i spent many hours playing Quake and Unreal and had absolutely no problems at all.I wish i could nail it down but i doubt that would matter because i can't change game's graphics.

However in for example a low poly game with global lighting like W101 i still get that epilepsy feeling because the camera is too close behind the player.However that would not explain why i have no problem with Unreal a game i still play often and it is all FP view.Perhaps  well obviously a combination fo things ,i know in Unreal it uses a default  FOV of 90,so maybe that is a contributing factor,too much peripheral view might be a problem.

I know a guy who couldn't play games based on the Half Life 2 engine. It made him dizzy, he got headaches, nausea...

I'm having problems with first person view in general when the FOV is very low/narrow.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    DMKano said:
    IMO a great game. I enjoyed Thief a lot more but this was a great game regardless. 
    Same here. Dishonored was fun, but those of us who were hoping for a spiritual successor to the original Thief series were disappointed.

On the other hand, it was far less of a disappointment than the actual Thief reboot.

<3

Volgore said:
    What is better, this or Styx?

Edit:

Wizardry said:

I know a guy who couldn't play games based on the Half Life 2 engine. It made him dizzy, he got headaches, nausea...

I'm having problems with first person view in general when the FOV is very low/narrow.

Well, I won't comment on which game is better, as that's subjective.  But, Dishonored definitely had a bigger budget/company behind it.

The main thing to note here, since you guys are talking about perspectives, is that Styx is 3rd person, unlike Dishonored.

They are pretty similar games, imho.  Both use magic style abilities(In Styx you can create a clone of yourself, etc.).  It also has the genre systems of extinguishing torches, etc.

Styx doesn't have much of a direct combat system.  In Styx, you can't even swing your weapon in the general sense.  You can sneak up and gank people, or if you get spotted you can parry/riposte(you can't ever just go flailing away).

Styx is an agile little monkey goblin, so he climbs and jumps all over the place to get around.

I should note, that in certain moments, Styx reverts to first-person view.  For instance, when hiding in a cabinet/trunk, etc., you are 'peeking out' in first-person.  But, it's generally third-person.
    Lokero said:

Well, I won't comment on which game is better, as that's subjective.  But, Dishonored definitely had a bigger budget/company behind it.

The main thing to note here, since you guys are talking about perspectives, is that Styx is 3rd person, unlike Dishonored.

They are pretty similar games, imho.  Both use magic style abilities(In Styx you can create a clone of yourself, etc.).  It also has the genre systems of extinguishing torches, etc.

Styx doesn't have much of a direct combat system.  In Styx, you can't even swing your weapon in the general sense.  You can sneak up and gank people, or if you get spotted you can parry/riposte(you can't ever just go flailing away).

Styx is an agile little monkey goblin, so he climbs and jumps all over the place to get around.

I should note, that in certain moments, Styx reverts to first-person view.  For instance, when hiding in a cabinet/trunk, etc., you are 'peeking out' in first-person.  But, it's generally third-person.
    Thank you for your input.

I started Dishonored this evening and so far i LOVE the design, art style and overall looks of everything.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

So, i have played a few hours and i tell you what, THIS game can be frustrating and borderline annoying. I wanted to play this game like a sneaky with as little combat as possible, so my experience is limited on that approach.
    I guess i'm just doing it wrong, but stealth and stealth detection is a mess.

The whole gameplay consists of trial and error for me. Like i see a guard on the stairs and have to watch it for 3-4 minutes to figure out it's pathing. After sitting around behind a shelf with my finger on "lean right" i finally teleport behind that guard and run right into another guard (which i couldn't see from my previous position) standing 5 meters next to the first guy. So ~5 mins of preparation to sneak by unseen only to have a fight breaking out anyway due to unforseeable circumstances. So in the end, i either fight my way through or i have to start every scene over and over again until i know where every guard is or how many there are around -what kind of ruins the idea of entering a compound with no further plan.

Due to the unpredictable stealth detection, i never know where there is a safe spot to wait out and watch the scene for a moment. Sometimes i get detected in the darkest corner, then again i'm sitting unnoticed in the middle of a room with everyone passing by me.
    Guards pop out of nowhere, like last night i entered an empty room from an empty hallway and when i turned around to close the door behind me, i got attacked by a guard.

This and then some more makes the game pretty awkward and unintuitive for me. Btw,  i'm using Teleport II and Slow Time for the most.
    Maybe someone has a hint for this newbie, as i'm willing to try harder :)

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited January 2016
    Wizardry said:
    cheyane said:

You know i agree 100% i am one of those that suffers from the same problems.
    I did somehow get through it,when i started to get those sort of epilepsy feelings from the fp view i just turned it off and went outside,walk the dog whatever then went back at it later on.

I have noticed Thief before,i believe i even played it but not for very long and i don't remember why i didn't play it further,perhaps i was just too busy with those other games.

Since mmorpg's are just not cutting it right now,i may go back and check out Thief again and that Hitman and you know now i think about it,i got that Deus X as a Christmas gift and never played it (.I will also check oput Styx and a few othjer games i had no tiem for in the past,maybe it is a good omen that mmorg's are failing right now,lets me catch up on some good games.
    I have tried a lot of games hoping I can get over them . I wanted Half Life so badly I did change the FoV with some mod but I lasted like half an hour without it in ten minutes I get nausea and end up with a whopper of a headache that can go on for the whole day. Simply not worth it no matter how much I try telling myself it is. I bought Deus Ex Human  Revolution and it is was the same thing 15 minutes in massive headache.

I rather not take medication to play a game but I have severe motion sickness even when I was young in a car. That passed thank heavens and I don't get sea sick either. I think it affects different people in different ways and intensity. There is no just one rule but generally any first person is out for me and I cannot even watch someone else playing it. Witcher senses in Witcher 3 is giving me a problem so I am using it sparingly and play for about 40 minutes max.

I am not trying to start any whine 'oh poor me' session just that it saddens me that I cannot play so many absolutely great games.
    Chamber of Chains
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    I loved everything about Dishonored, it's one of my all-time favorites !

Hoping the sequel will not be a disappointment, the first one had a great atmosphere.
    I loved everything about Dishonored, it's one of my all-time favorites !

Hoping the sequel will not be a disappointment, the first one had a great atmosphere.
    I am hoping too. But there is always Deus Ex Mankind Divided. Two sequels of two great games .. chances of both of them flopping is not that high.

But i would certainly wait for reviews. There are plenty of good games to play and i don't need to rush out and get it, even Dishonored 2, on launch day.