Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smells like Archeage 2.0

Comments

• tet666tet666 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    edited February 2016
    Well if you like korean grinders that's fine but for anyone else the question is why invest time in a system that's inherently flawed and bound to get this route and be exploited no matter if you support it or not.

Post edited by tet666 on
  • JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009
    edited February 2016
    Allein said:
    So every single person playing in KR/JP/RU is dumping tons of cash into them?

You are failing to see is that not everyone is concerned about being in the top tier aka minority PVP bracket or that some are able/willing to put in a ton of time/effort to reach such heights without paying.
    How are you still not getting this? The plebs are irrelevant since the entire point of the game is the whale meta. They don't need or care about having tons of players as long as there is a small number of people dropping thousands per month.

Freebie players are just fodder content for whales. If being a punching bag for a guy dropping hundreds or thousands is appealing to you then go nuts... but don't call it a good pvp game.

The idea that free players will 'catch up' is a myth since updates usually add new gear tiers making it mathematically impossible based on the RNG for a free player to keep up.

You claim you have 200 years of MMO experience, but you continually show complete ignorance about the F2P model.
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    tet666 said:
    Well if you like korean grinders that's fine but for anyone else the question is why invest time in a system that's inherently flawed and bound to get this route and be exploited no matter if you support it or not.

True, but show me a game that is immune to this. If there was some magical perfect for everyone game out there, we'd all be playing it instead of hyping/hating on forums.
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    edited February 2016

Jacobin said:
    How are you still not getting this? The plebs are irrelevant since the entire point of the game is the whale meta. They don't need or care about having tons of players as long as there is a small number of people dropping thousands per month.

Freebie players are just fodder content for whales. If being a punching bag for a guy dropping hundreds or thousands is appealing to you then go nuts... but don't call it a good pvp game.

The idea that free players will 'catch up' is a myth since updates usually add new gear tiers making it mathematically impossible based on the RNG for a free player to keep up.

You claim you have 200 years of MMO experience, but you continually show complete ignorance about the F2P model.
    "Entire point" of the game shows you can't look outside your own little box.

Plenty of folks do and will continue to play BDO for other reasons beyond being the top 1% in PVP. Believe it or not, there is a lot more to do in BDO, even within PVP itself beyond whatever you have deemed to be the only reason for playing.

I'm sure there will be folks the buy every single costume to play dress up and will spend more than those aiming at dominating in PVP. Not everyone cares about the number attached to their gear.

Please point out a semi popular game that doesn't have "plebs" and is entirely whales since only whales accomplish anything and everyone is having a horrible time.

I haven't claimed BDO is a "good PVP game" as such things are subjective.

Clearly you have no first hand experience with BDO and are talking out your rear to say free players can't catch up. Where do you think the high end gear comes from the people buy off the market after buying fluff off the cash shop to turn into in-game currency. Clueless.

I did start online gaming going on 21 years ago. I'm not ignorant at all, simply not blinded by my baggage that I can't move forward. If being disgruntled is appealing to you, go nuts...

You haven't figured out some amazing conspiracy (assuming that link you posted made you an expert), gaming as a whole hasn't changed much over the years. Companies do what they do to get us to log in and give them money. The format changes, but it's all a huge waste of time that costs time/energy/money. Pick one and be happy or sit on forums pointing out flaws, to each their own.

Will say I was wise enough to avoid AA, clearly some of you weren't so bright. Tell me where the mean game touched you.
    edited February 2016
    Allein said:
    tet666 said:

True, but show me a game that is immune to this. If there was some magical perfect for everyone game out there, we'd all be playing it instead of hyping/hating on forums.
    Dunno maybe this fully gear based PVP games are just not for me i like my pvp fair and square.

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Jacobin said:
    "No tricks, no traps"

Why you people can't understand that AA did exactly the same and hid the worst aspects of its P2W until people were invested is beyond me.

They don't care if going people get mad and leave because the entire point of these games with +99 upgrades and massive vertical stat scaling is to appeal to the whales who spend tens of thousands to be king of the hill. A few bucks here and there is chump change and the whole B2P is just a way to farm the plebs who are dumb enough to believe the marketing copy which is very vauge.

By all means let them be kings of the hills. Even if they killed me 1000 times i don't lose a dime, hence i don't give a damn. It's just  a game.

What do the whales get out of all this, i'm so 'i don't know'. If their investment makes a development of some new game possible, i'm more than happy to hear that.

But let it be clear for everyone: If you're not one of those whales, the most  stupid thing to do is to spend any money on F2P mmos.
    edited February 2016
    Btw i just read this on the official board:
    http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?/topic/11929-cash-shop-what-you-need-in-priority-order/&page=1
     so even the pets and costumes/underwear have stats in this game and they are only sold on cash shop so they are allrdy lying about not having p2w in the shop?

edited February 2016
    Allein said:
    Will say I was wise enough to avoid AA, clearly some of you weren't so bright.
    Classic line right there. You somehow knew AA would be bad, but for some reason will not apply the same reasoning to BDO... ok bro, must be the supermodels or something.

If you want to play the 'didn't play it therefore cant comment' game then how do have any standing to comment on AA vs BDO?

The games share so many traits that its a very obvious comparison. Since you never played AA and you are not a hardcore pvp player, I have come to the conclusion that you just don't understand how Whale Meta works.

There will come a moment for you when everything suddenly clicks and you get a sinking feeling in your stomach as you realize how the game has been setup so that in order to play pvp you will need to start spending tons of cash.

Of course you will brush this off as personal choice to not pay and move on, but the fact remains that you spent tons of hours in a game you didn't ultimately enjoy.

The people who approach games like BDO as another happy-go-lucky, themeparkish world to run around in never last. The game is not setup to appeal to them no matter how much they scream otherwise.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Jacobin said:
    What you are failing to take into account is the game design. The gear system / stats not only mirrors AA, but hundreds if not thousands of P2W Asian games.

Its is impossible for a game with this system to be successful long term because even without P2W the gear scaling will make the game unplayable for all but the most hardcore. Since the game has this built in self-destruct switch, they will absolutely go P2W because that is how you monetize these types of games. The game is obviously not going to be successful (financially) as B2P.

And BTW the strongest evidence is not AA, but the exact same game in 2 other regions.
    So the "built in self-destruct switch" is that other people can get better gear than you?

Most MMOs allow for that and only "the most hardcore" compete at the highest levels.
  • terra1232323terra1232323 Member CommonPosts: 4
    edited February 2016
    Ah c'mon pets and costumes/underwear with stats are allrdy p2w someone with 4 high lvl pets will lvl a lot faster cause of the buffs they give then you which is key in a game without a lvl cap and since loot disappears rather quickly he will also farm way more efficiently and make way more silver then you.All of this stuff is only available from the shop.
    They even removed most of the good looking Armor (your Armor doesn't really change at all while levelin) so you are forced to buy costumes if you don't want to look like a peasant there is no way to get this stuff without paying and those costumes are not 5 or 10$ they where 60$+ in the other versions all of this on top of the 30$ we have to pay for the game while the rest of the world plays 4 free i'm sure prices will be a bit lower here but that's still not ok.
  • RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    well reading reply of people, you accept shit, they will give you shit and get all the money they can

why improve mmorpg when it work and people spend 1k or more and accept pay to win game ?

i would do just like them honestly. it work, you get fooled new release after new release.
    edited February 2016
    well reading reply of people, you accept shit, they will give you shit and get all the money they can

why improve mmorpg when it work and people spend 1k or more and accept pay to win game ?

i would do just like them honestly. it work, you get fooled new release after new release.
    It's actually pretty funny reading all the comments defending all this shit on reddit.
    Those guys are really rdy to bend over and take it.
    Some even suggested they should add stuff in rng boxes like they do in the Korean BDO (im pretty sure this WILL happen here as well) and remove  stuff from the game and add it to the cash shop so ppl are forced to pay more since 30$ will not be enough to sustain the game.
    The crying about this game will be glorious in a few months^^

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Rhoklaw said:
    Jacobin said:
    What you are failing to take into account is the game design. The gear system / stats not only mirrors AA, but hundreds if not thousands of P2W Asian games.

Its is impossible for a game with this system to be successful long term because even without P2W the gear scaling will make the game unplayable for all but the most hardcore. Since the game has this built in self-destruct switch, they will absolutely go P2W because that is how you monetize these types of games. The game is obviously not going to be successful (financially) as B2P.

And BTW the strongest evidence is not AA, but the exact same game in 2 other regions.
    So the "built in self-destruct switch" is that other people can get better gear than you?

Most MMOs allow for that and only "the most hardcore" compete at the highest levels.
    Yes, you have 2 sides to the progression coin. Either players earn all their gear, powers, abilities and what have you in-game ( Hardcore ) or you open up a P2W cash shop and let all the rich people ( Casuals ) who don't have time to invest in a game to buy this status.
    He's saying that the game will be unplayable for anyone other than hardcore people (or p2w if that happens) because people are able to get better gear (through playing or paying).  That's a ridiculous argument.

People have almost always been able to get better gear and beat you in PVP because of it.  That hasn't made those games "unplayble".
  • fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    Rhoklaw said:
    Jacobin said:

Yes, you have 2 sides to the progression coin. Either players earn all their gear, powers, abilities and what have you in-game ( Hardcore ) or you open up a P2W cash shop and let all the rich people ( Casuals ) who don't have time to invest in a game to buy this status.
    See here's the problem. What's the real difference? People spend time at work making money and buy what they want. Other people spent 4-8 hours a day playing a game to get what they want. I never really understood what the argument was about. I mean who really cares?

If you don't like cash shops or think a games cash shop isn't for you then don't play the game. Why is there a need to complain about it? 
    fodell54 said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Jacobin said:

See here's the problem. What's the real difference? People spend time at work making money and buy what they want. Other people spent 4-8 hours a day playing a game to get what they want. I never really understood what the argument was about. I mean who really cares?

If you don't like cash shops or think a games cash shop isn't for you then don't play the game. Why is there a need to complain about it? 

Yeah it's ok just buy your pixels if that makes you feel better^^
  • DjevikDjevik Member UncommonPosts: 107
    I have to strongly disagree from with the op.. there wasnt a cash shop in alpha but soon as 1.2 hit and everything went down from there is when the cash shop was broken as fuck.. and this was in alpha or whatever 1.2 patch came into effect..

if this came stayed what it was before the 1.2 patch I would still be playing it until this day...

I did buy the BDO Conqueror pack only playing the korean version up until lvl 30 but I do like what i see so far in the cash shop that they have posted.. but I am a bit worried on if it changes.. but then again  the whales will be whales and will spend endless money in the game to be competitive, i know a couple streamers that dropped 1,000's of dollars into the korean version...
  • linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589
    tet666 said:
    http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?/topic/11929-cash-shop-what-you-need-in-priority-order/&page=1
     so even the pets and costumes/underwear have stats in this game and they are only sold on cash shop so they are allrdy lying about not having p2w in the shop?

The stats they provide are buffs to progression and have NOTHING to do with anything that actually effect your "power"
  • linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589
    Djevik said:
    I have to strongly disagree from with the op.. there wasnt a cash shop in alpha but soon as 1.2 hit and everything went down from there is when the cash shop was broken as fuck.. and this was in alpha or whatever 1.2 patch came into effect..

if this came stayed what it was before the 1.2 patch I would still be playing it until this day...

I did buy the BDO Conqueror pack only playing the korean version up until lvl 30 but I do like what i see so far in the cash shop that they have posted.. but I am a bit worried on if it changes.. but then again  the whales will be whales and will spend endless money in the game to be competitive, i know a couple streamers that dropped 1,000's of dollars into the korean version...
    People are still assuming that they will make items in the cash shop sellable on the AH at some point and that they aren't going to place limits on it too. It has been stated that they plan on making a situation where if they ever actually do allow selling items from cash shop to the AH that they will put limits in place to prevent people from massively profiting off of those items. 

Archeage has its own problems outside of its cash shop as I have expressed (faction balance issues were a HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE problem) and that is besides the point. I've not seen anything that Daum is doing not take their market into thought in the US. They have listened to community feedback heavily and have even gone out of their way to ASK for said feedback on things and have an open discussion with players about what is going on what they feel is a good system etc and are making changes regularly based on feedback from people that are playing the game.

I think it is a little disingenuous of people not to at least give them the benefit of the doubt in the western markets. Daum plans on a different monetization strategy in the west which a few people can't seem to wrap their heads around for whatever reason. The game has a fee in the US and Europe, which is a big departure from being purely F2P. Daum have set out from day one to make changes for the US and EU markets and have been very open about those changes and have had MANY back and forth discussions with their community about those changes and have shown said changes left and right in DETAIL and yet you have people sitting here treating them as if they were Nexon or Perfect World Entertainment when this is a company that hasn't done business in the west and has literally set out from day one with this game to treat it differently than is typical.

This is not like archeage in the least which faced problems heavily for things that has nothing to do with the cash shop well before it became a "huge" issue again faction balance ruined quite a few servers and their whole land bot fiasco and tons of other things (like allowing zerg guilds) that just flat out destroyed the overall community. This is a game that sets it's business model apart from the "typical" korean company bull shit so far and while they could and might go down a p2w route, we can't say that they are known for this in the west now as daum europe =/= daum korea (even if they are controlled by them) and are clearly making decisions for the markets they are in to try and bring longevity to the game. 
  • jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Just going to stick with Hello Kitty Online where I feel safe and warm and loved.

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• DjevikDjevik Member UncommonPosts: 107
    edited February 2016
    Djevik said:

People are still assuming that they will make items in the cash shop sellable on the AH at some point and that they aren't going to place limits on it too. It has been stated that they plan on making a situation where if they ever actually do allow selling items from cash shop to the AH that they will put limits in place to prevent people from massively profiting off of those items. 

they also said if they do allow them sellable they will be a fix price to not over saturate the market.. so the more they are selling the less in value.. 

right under the cash shop items in the "Note" its says it.. they keep there word or not is another question
    http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?/topic/8038-pm-diary-22-cash-shop-and-more/

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    What has been said about the high end enchanting?
    edited February 2016
    People have almost always been able to get better gear and beat you in PVP because of it.  That hasn't made those games "unplayble".
    Good lord are you new or something? BDO fans are so clueless about PvP that its just getting kind of sad.

There are videos posted on this exact forum showing a guy winning a 1v3 without taking any damage. You don't think that is problematic from a balance perspective?

When the game turns into whales or 24/7 grinders 1 shoting everybody it dies. BDO will eventually turn into this even without P2W based on the gear scaling (A +15 weapon is 4 times stronger than a +7).

There is a reason why upcoming western pvp games (camelot unchained, crowfall) have a huge emphasis on horizontal stat scaling and soft caps.

Its actually pretty shocking that people need very basic pvp concepts like this explained to them in 2016. But I guess its BDO's total lack of any credible endgame that hides these huge imbalances from most people.
  • terra1232323terra1232323 Member CommonPosts: 4
    edited February 2016
    tet666 said:

The stats they provide are buffs to progression and have NOTHING to do with anything that actually effect your "power"
    Lol it's no wonder they can get away with this crap in a b2p game (well it's a f2p game in disguise).
    Mate the game doesn't have a real lvl cap progression IS power in this game.

Just to quote from this thread above:

1. Class Underwear x1
    2. Minimum 3x Rank 0 pets. Maxium 18x rank 0 pets.
    3. Weight 50x4, 100x1, 150x1
    4. Costume x1
    5. Inventories 1/4/8

1. The reason why it is #1 is that it is cheap. Class Underwear will give you +1 luck at start, your target is to boost your luck to 5 as soon as possible. In the beginning you will have to use stones to boost it to 5. Later your title will be giving you luck, at some point you will be getting +3 luck from your title, +1 luck from underwear and you will have to cover only 1 more luck to make it 5. Luck affects your drop, the faster you get it the better

2. This is your most important purchase. Lets assume that 1 rank 0 pet will cost us 500 pearls, ie €5. So for 3 pets=€15 and 18 pets=€90.
    If you cannot afford to get 18 pets, get at least 3 rank 0 pets. They will be your best friends as they will do the annoying work of looting up drop from mobs, however level 10 rank 0 pet has 6 seconds cooldown on looting. 
    If you can, go for 18 pets and create 3 rank 3 pets!  To get all 3 rank 3, you will need maximum 18 pets, however you might be lucky and get 3 rank 3 pets with less than 18 pets(so don't buy all 18 straight away). Not only you will have 3 pets with loot cooldown of 2.5 seconds, but you will also get additional passive buffs. Passive buffs are random, important ones are 'combat experience' (3-7% each pet), 'karma restore points' (3-7% each pet) and +1 luck. If you get luck on your pet, you will have 1 from underwear, 3 from title and 1 from pet. 
    3 rank 3 pets is a huge boost to your character, they work like a vacuum cleaner, you will rarely have to loot items manually. You will level faster, you might have 1 free luck.

3. Weight is important because you will be able to carry more healing/mp potions. Potions are essential in BD, you will need them to grind, you will need them to PvP.
    As an example, we will take usual day to day grind where you have little PvP. You need weight + items durability to grind, your target is to have enough potions so your armor durability ends faster than your potions. There is no teleport in BDO and the less you run to town the better. 
    Your horse will help you here, you can abuse it a bit  You can place crazy amount of potions in your horse, however it will get overloaded and will be very slow. What you can do is to bring yourself and horse to potions shop and purchase lets say 600 MP potions, put them on your horse, purchase 150 HP potions, now get your MP potions back to you. You will be overloaded, but your horse is empty(you cannot overloaded your self through shop, but you can do it through horse). You sit on your horse and you move to your grinding spot, park it somewhere close in a safe place. Get off your horse and place 500 MP potions on it, horse can be overloaded over her maximum limit. You will have your 100 MP potions and 150 HP potions and your horse is near, so you can come and take extra 100-150 MP pots every time they finish. Eventually you will reach a point where your items durability will end by the time you have very little potions left. The exact amount and type of potions you will figure out your self. Different parts of armor will break in different time, depends what class are you, how you grind and what you grind. This is a good tip because you can do 1 run to town instead of 5. Leading to a more efficient grinding.

4. All you need from costume is 10% experience boost. You can enable/disable visual effect of costume if you don't like it.

5. Inventory slots. Depends on what you do, but you might need more inventory slots. You can get them by doing quests and buying them in cash shop.

Someone with 4 high lvl pets and costumes/underwear with xp boost buffs and 5 luck will lvl faster then you he can even restore his karma faster and he will get better and more drops and money the pets also help looting which is huge since loot disappears quickly that directly helps him make more money and upgrade his gear faster.

If you really can't see the problem here i don't know what to say.

All of this bonus stats stuff is P2W. I could've sworn they said "convenience" or "vanity" was all that could be purchased from our cash shop.

What has been said about the high end enchanting?
    It's rng based and the chance to fail raises the higher you get.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited February 2016
    Black DJacobin said:

There are videos posted on this exact forum showing a guy winning a 1v3 without taking any damage. You don't think that is problematic from a balance perspective?

Its called Skill Based Combat and knowing how to play your class.  =)
    Recore said:
    Black DJacobin said:

Its called Skill Based Combat and knowing how to play your class.  =)