Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smells like Archeage 2.0

Comments

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

I'll wait to see that one pan out, thank you. I can see they might forego some initial revenue spikes early on. But once the profit margin drops below a certain threshold, I'd say all bets are off. And how long will that take?

It's a balancing act and I assume they have seen what happened to AA and are aware of current customer (200k+ of us) feedback on the matter.

Go instant P2W and having 85% of the population leave might be much less profitable than slightly tweaking/adding things to the shop over time and making it less painful for everyone.

The idea that they are just going to go "Alright everyone, we were just kidding about caring, game is now P2W, either fork over tons of cash or quit" seems like crazy talk.

Then again seems many were silly enough to install AA and think it wouldn't matter so might just be that many dim folks out there.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Torval said:

Well, in a little objective fairness since I don't care one way or the other, when devs and pubs are too clear in a statement then wordsmiths and forum lawyers hold them to their "promises". Gamers take all that literally and as if it were written in stone and not a business intent and goal. At the places I've worked we've often tried to go one direction or make something work and ended up doing something different because that's just how it worked out in the end.
    As I said, we will see. I'll play this game IF it's worth the money. But I won't know that for a little while after it releases. If they are as altrusistic as others think, great! All the better. I am far too cynnical to buy into that. There is no way I am going to believe that an RMT based game is going to impose limits on why players shop. Sorry, just not believing that one. Unless I see it happen.

Here's to hoping it will!
    edited February 2016
    As I said, we will see. I'll play this game IF it's worth the money. But I won't know that for a little while after it releases. If they are as altrusistic as others think, great! All the better. I am far too cynnical to buy into that. There is no way I am going to believe that an RMT based game is going to impose limits on why players shop. Sorry, just not believing that one. Unless I see it happen.

But you'll be waiting how long? I've seen a month, two months, six thrown around.

If they can change it at anytime, when will it be "safe?"

Not to mention the game is all about the grind and the longer you wait the further behind you'll be.

I totally understand the wait and see approach, but if you really don't believe them despite the very clear evidence that they are trying to make the situation work out, not sure what will ever convince you.

Personally, I'll play it until it is no longer fun for me, like every other mmo in the last 20 years. However, I'm betting on the vain and lazy among us that LOVE to buy costumes, skins, pets, and convenience features that provide profits for many games out there.

Straight power P2W is only one option for cash shops and clearly not the best for Western players.

Even then, some seem to totally ignore that someone simply playing the game can be on the same level as someone that pays to skip to a certain point. Regardless if there is power for sale, others will have it from playing normally. Would be one thing if you could buy Uber Weapon of Doom on day 1 from the shop, but BDO KR doesn't even work like this. Someone else actually has to put in a ton of time/effort to obtain it and then sell it on the dev price controlled market.

It isn't fair that someone can skip the effort by opening their wallet, but at the same time those willing to actually put in the effort aren't at a severe disadvantage. Either need a ton of time or a ton of money. Which isn't the majority in either case.
    Allein said:

But you'll be waiting how long? I've seen a month, two months, six thrown around.

If they can change it at anytime, when will it be "safe?"

Not to mention the game is all about the grind and the longer you wait the further behind you'll be.

I totally understand the wait and see approach, but if you really don't believe them despite the very clear evidence that they are trying to make the situation work out, not sure what will ever convince you.

Personally, I'll play it until it is no longer fun for me, like every other mmo in the last 20 years. However, I'm betting on the vain and lazy among us that LOVE to buy costumes, skins, pets, and convenience features that provide profits for many games out there.

Straight power P2W is only one option for cash shops and clearly not the best for Western players.

Even then, some seem to totally ignore that someone simply playing the game can be on the same level as someone that pays to skip to a certain point. Regardless if there is power for sale, others will have it from playing normally. Would be one thing if you could buy Uber Weapon of Doom on day 1 from the shop, but BDO KR doesn't even work like this. Someone else actually has to put in a ton of time/effort to obtain it and then sell it on the dev price controlled market.

It isn't fair that someone can skip the effort by opening their wallet, but at the same time those willing to actually put in the effort aren't at a severe disadvantage. Either need a ton of time or a ton of money. Which isn't the majority in either case.
    I have no set criteria. Well, except that I will never buy a game until after it's been out for a bit. If after a time such as I decide the game looks worth playing, I'll consider it then. 1 week? 1 month? 1 year? I don't know.

(I'm not holding my breath though)
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Torval said:

Well, in a little objective fairness since I don't care one way or the other, when devs and pubs are too clear in a statement then wordsmiths and forum lawyers hold them to their "promises". Gamers take all that literally and as if it were written in stone and not a business intent and goal. At the places I've worked we've often tried to go one direction or make something work and ended up doing something different because that's just how it worked out in the end.

I don't think Daum or any company is in the least bit altruistic.  I think they all care about maximising profits because that's why companies exist.

The question is how does Daum maximise profits in the west with this game.

They have done a lot of f2p p2w stuff in Korea, but Koreans like that shit.  They released games with pay models that appealed to that market, and were successful doing so.

The west is different.  We don't like p2w.  Our culture is different.  

By releasing it B2P with no P2W, it's clear Daum at least recognizes that.  

XLGames/Trion released Archeage in the West with very little alteration to the f2p/p2w model.  Many people think the game itself is great, but it was ruined because of this (and the exploiters), and XLGames/Trion didn't make nearly as much money as they could have had they adjusted to the new market.

Will Daum ditch the B2P/no P2W model as soon as initial sales drop?  Nobody can say for sure, but it seems to me at least that it would be dumb to do so.  They'll follow the path of Archeage and a game that could be potentially great and lucritive for a really long time will fizzle out within a year.

The only benefit of the doubt I'm giving Daum is that they're smart enough to look at recent history.  GW2 proved that B2P can work well here, and Archeage proved that f2p/p2w does not work.

I personally think the game is at least as good as GW2 and there will be little incentive to ditch that model completely and switch to a model (the Archeage model) that has proven to fail here.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009
    edited February 2016
    Saying Asians love P2W is flat out false. The whale meta makes people quit just as quickly there as it does in the west. The market is just so huge that the developers don't care.

Its all just a get rich quick scheme where they can just keep releasing the same type of game with a new skin over and over with the sole purpose being to extract as much cash as possible and make a profit in under 3 months. In Asia there will always be new suckers / whales to dupe due to the size of the market.

XLGames probably considers ArcheAge a big financial success since it was never meant to have any longevity. The number of people who bought $150 founders packs alone was staggering.

The western market may be a little harder to dupe continually due to its size and other factors, but Daum just has to run a longer con. It won't go P2W overnight, but sneak in things patch after patch and count on players to deny that P2W is happening - just like they are now due to a few vague statements and some ego stroking.
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    edited February 2016
    DMKano said:
    I personally think the game is at least as good as GW2 and there will be little incentive to ditch that model completely and switch to a model (the Archeage model) that has proven to fail here.

You keep talking about ArcheAge as if nothing changed since launch which was over a year and a half ago -

ArcheAge *TODAY* is still extremely profitable and to call it a "failure" would be absurd.

Yea, I'm sure Archeage is still making a ton of money (that is NOT sarcasm).  I think a LOT of people here are underestimating just how much money whales are willing to throw at a game that many other little fishies consider to be "a failure", and Daum, a veteran of the industry, almost positively is aware of where the REAL profits are with F2P games, even in the "west".

Long term life of a game means nothing to a company that was presumably created for the purpose of profit if that long term life only brings in pennies compared to what whales are willing to dump into a game (if you up the cash shop advantages and make the game competitive enough).
    edited February 2016
    DMKano said:
    You keep talking about ArcheAge as if nothing changed since launch which was over a year and a half ago - 
    ArcheAge *TODAY* is still extremely profitable and to call it a "failure" would be absurd.
    While I don't disagree, the anti-BDO aka I had a bad experience with AA individuals seem to look upon AA as a failure for their personal reasons.

If a game is still live and people are still enjoying themselves, not a failure to me. Regardless if it is F2P/P2W or whatever.

But like pretty much every game on these forums to ever be talked about, once a product doesn't fit the ideals of someone it instantly is a failure and run by an evil company.

I have to use AA as an example of "bad" when having a discussion with these folks as that is their mentality, but it is all relative.
    Jacobin said:
    Saying Asians love P2W is flat out false. The whale meta makes people quit just as quickly there as it does in the west. The market is just so huge that the developers don't care.

Its all just a get rich quick scheme where they can just keep releasing the same type of game with a new skin over and over with the sole purpose being to extract as much cash as possible and make a profit in under 3 months. In Asia there will always be new suckers / whales to dupe due to the size of the market.

XLGames probably considers ArcheAge a big financial success since it was never meant to have any longevity. The number of people who bought $150 founders packs alone was staggering.

The western market may be a little harder to dupe continually due to its size and other factors, but Daum just has to run a longer con. It won't go P2W overnight, but sneak in things patch after patch and count on players to deny that P2W is happening - just like they are now due to a few vague statements and some ego stroking.
    If BDO goes P2W in NA/EU, it will be very obvious. Not sure who is going to get duped.

Not sure your experience with AA or KR games, but sounds like you have some baggage. Did you get duped perhaps?

Maybe Eastern markets don't "love" P2W, but they do have a very different mindset when it comes to gaming. I don't know a ton about KR gaming culture myself, but I've read about some of their laws and clearly KR =/= NA/EU and what a company can do without customers throwing a fit or leaving is different.

Despite KR BDO being some terrible P2W trap, there are plenty of Westerners that have been playing it for a year without going bankrupt. PVP is also not a huge factor from what I've seen. NA/EU it will be much more so and P2W will be a disaster for them.

I'm not sure where you got your facts that AA was going for short term success or that any multi million dollar mmo is, but I assume that video you linked convinced you of such. Maybe that is how it is for mobile/browser that don't cost nearly as much, but spending years and millions just to milk customers for a short time seems pretty terrible profit wise as mmos can clearly do "well" for 5, 10, 15+ years without having to resort to P2W.

Regardless, I still don't see your point.

If you are trying to end KR games reaching other markets, pretty sure you have zero chance at that happening. If you are trying to steer folks away so they can play another game that isn't out for profit and only concerned about players having the bestest time ever, would really like to know which games those are.

Seem to be complaining just to complain. Which is how these sites work, but seems silly to me. Just as bad as folks like me responding =)

Circular conversations live on!
  • NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    Everyone here seems to know more about BDO than I, so let me ask you.  Am I going to have to deal with the same crap from Archeage if I play?

Here is my experience there...

I started out in ArcheAge with the goal of being the prime provider of bear mounts and pets.  I was able to get started early and grab enough land to amass a huge bear farm.  My wife even made a bear breading tutorial for youtube on our farm which has had almost 40,000 views.  My farm eventually grew to be two large farms and four small farms all connected in a huge square next to thatched farmhouse.  I was firm on not selling any of the cubs until I got my first bear mount and after 19 pets, I finally got my first mount.

Within two days of this, they added the bear mount to the cash store.

I sold the farm and left the game.

https://youtu.be/ycN_SlXQtsE

Will their cash shop ruin the economy and devalue anything I earn through gameplay?  Do I have to buy items to ensure RNG success for gear upgrades?
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited February 2016
    DMKano said:

Things certainly changed.  They merged servers, population is way down.

I have no idea how profitable it is since they don't release numbers, but I think it could've done way better than it did or is doing.

However if what you say is true and Archeage is a success, I fear for the future of MMOs because I really don't want the management of that game to be a role model.

XLGames grabbed all the money they could and Trion fucked up at just about every turn possible.  If that results in success, we're going to be in for a bad time.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Yep I have a AA account thinking about quitting since the new patch that allows players to get "Free Packs" basically you go on your allies boat, or Enemy boat in a safe zone, declare dominion instantly kill everyone and take packs nothing you can do unless you keep purchasing "Peace Treaty" which is a very lame mechanic, looking for a new PVP game sad that "Dark Fall" Closed down, but "Arche Age is turning to be even worse than any game I have ever played really.
  • ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342
    Everyone here seems to know more about BDO than I, so let me ask you.  Am I going to have to deal with the same crap from Archeage if I play?

I started out in ArcheAge with the goal of being the prime provider of bear mounts and pets.  I was able to get started early and grab enough land to amass a huge bear farm.  My wife even made a bear breading tutorial for youtube on our farm which has had almost 40,000 views.  My farm eventually grew to be two large farms and four small farms all connected in a huge square next to thatched farmhouse.  I was firm on not selling any of the cubs until I got my first bear mount and after 19 pets, I finally got my first mount.

Will their cash shop ruin the economy and devalue anything I earn through gameplay?  Do I have to buy items to ensure RNG success for gear upgrades?
    At the moment, this is not even the case in the KR version of BDO which many see as P2W. The EU/NA version has a very stripped down cash shop with nearly no influence on the game itself at all, at least not in the way you describe.

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    That is the problem with many of the labels one places on new games or comparisons they make of it. It tends to stick. So if someone comes along and says things that are not even remotely true many do not even bother to check up and see if it is indeed a true characterization of the game but just lets the unfair comment prevent them from paying any further attention to the game. It's  a scurrilous method for sure but I think it is borderline acceptable since if they can even point to one such characteristic they are not completely false. Difficult to dispel the claim unequivocally. 

edited February 2016
    DMKano said:

Things certainly changed.  They merged servers, population is way down.

I have no idea how profitable it is since they don't release numbers, but I think it could've done way better than it did or is doing.

However if what you say is true and Archeage is a success, I fear for the future of MMOs because I really don't want the management of that game to be a role model.

XLGames grabbed all the money they could and Trion fucked up at just about every turn possible.  If that results in success, we're going to be in for a bad time.
    This is what people are trying to tell you. In these games. What you aren't understanding is that AA is not a "role model" It's simply following the standard. It's one that hasn't changed since the beginning. They are all like that. Population means shit. Whales mean everything. And there is only one way to keep them happy and it's not cosmetics. 

Let's see what BDO does (differently?)
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

And some people never even could get land... and yet you had so much... yet another reason why people left the game... 

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    I agree that land was too hard to come by. I traded my neighbors for spots and purchased others, exactly what others could do as well. I would expect that there was plenty available at least before the server merges. 
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    DMKano said:

What's the number of players still remaining compared to launch?

1/2?

1/4?

1/10?

1/100?

All your telling me is that these companies are way too fucking greedy. A game that loses the majority of its player base is a failure in my book no matter how much money they made.

Maybe Trion and XL only made 1/2 or 1/4 as much as they could have made, if they weren't so greedy. 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

laserit said:
    DMKano said:

1/2?

1/4?

1/10?

1/100?

All your telling me is that these companies are way too fucking greedy. A game that loses the majority of its player base is a failure in my book no matter how much money they made.

Maybe Trion and XL only made 1/2 or 1/4 as much as they could have made, if they weren't so greedy. 
    Why do people still look at these F2P games like it's a Subscription model? Server populations mean nothing. IT could be the most popular game in the world but if no one spends any money on it, it's a failure, and yet, while that ship is sinking, someone says, the game makes no money, it's a failure, Sure as hell, fans would make thread after thread depicting screenshots of high populations........right up until the day they pulled the plug.

It's not "how many?" it's "how much?"  

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    laserit said:
    DMKano said:

1/2?

1/4?

1/10?

1/100?

Why do people still look at these F2P games like it's a Subscription model? Server populations mean nothing. IT could be the most popular game in the world but if no one spends any money on it, it's a failure, and yet, while that ship is sinking, someone says, the game makes no money, it's a failure, Sure as hell, fans would make thread after thread depicting screenshots of high populations........right up until the day they pulled the plug.

You're missing my point and it has nothing to do with subscriptions.

I'd rather have 10 spending $5 a month than 2 spending $10 a month.

I'd really like to see how Zenimax is making out with ESO, because IMHO that is the most respectable business model in the industry. I wish it nothing but success, that is the direction I would like to see these business models to go.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

laserit said:
    laserit said:
    DMKano said:

1/2?

1/4?

1/10?

1/100?

You're missing my point and it has nothing to do with subscriptions.

I'd rather have 10 spending $5 a month than 2 spending $10 a month.

I'd really like to see how Zenimax is making out with ESO, because IMHO that is the most respectable business model in the industry. I wish it nothing but success, that is the direction I would like to see these business models to go.
    That may be what you want to see, but it's pretty clear the F2P game industry doesn't. If that was a more viable business model, you would. But you don't.

• HivesHives Member UncommonPosts: 203
    I learned my lesson with Archeage and if people don't see this game being the same.... Well, You must really want a game to play. When the honeymoon stage dies down then let's see the real thoughts on it. To anyone that says this isn't like Archeage in a lot of ways then you might need a bs check. Good luck with it, though.