Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How are we doing

we saw an expansion in 2015
and the revival of the movies.

so how is the game doing right now?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    Why not go check the official forums?
  • FlintsteenFlintsteen Member UncommonPosts: 282
    From the looks of it there's quite a few new and/or returning players but i'm not too sure they outnumber the old players leaving swtor. It feels healthy enough when i log in,  i just dont feel much like loggin in lately. 

Personly i'm not sure the direction swtor is heading with 4.0 was the right one,  but only time will tell.  Not that 4.0 didn't bring anything good,  but for me the good dont outweigh the bad.
  • GremeGreme Member UncommonPosts: 66

There was certainly an increase in player numbers when KotFE released, to the point that some servers had small login queues at that time but since then those numbers seem to have settled down. Apparently there has been no advertising campaign to tie in with the new movie, they didnt even do anything special in game (just double xp event running since movie premiere).

From my point of view the expansion just didnt bring enough to keep people playing.

There was almost nothing new on MMO side of game - no new operations, warzones, one new "flashpoint" (but it is 2 person flashpoint that can be done with companion) - they just boosted all previously existing operations and hard mode flashpoints to level 65. Latest information we have is they are working on new warzone, but nothing about new flashpoints or operations.

The RPG side of game - the story - is pretty good, however it is relatively short - currently available Chapters 1-9 can be done in 8-15 hours of gameplay. The story is the same no matter which class you play or whether you are Empire or Republic so replayability factor is very low. Also due to game being MMORPG the "choices matter" thing doesnt really work, so far making different choices results mostly in different cutscenes and companion refusing to romance your character.

There were also multiple issues in months after release - level 60 boost bugs, Companion nerf, reduced number of items in Cartel Packs, Bounty Hunting and Rakghoul events not starting in early December and Bioware saying they wont fix it until January because they are on holidays.

With all that happening it seems many long time players are leaving the game, if you played the game for last couple of years there is simply not enough new things to do. It remains to be seen whether new players coming to game from release of movies will be enough to keep healthy population.

• Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
    It's doing good...these people saying "long term players are leaving" are just parroting the worlds most toxic official forums.   Like every mmorpgs players leave and come back but the ridiculous doom and gloom that all long time players are leaving is just a desperate attempt from the 10-15 forums champions over there.  

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    All of my characters are light side on Shadowlands.

The last time that I played the game which was the Galactic Starfighter expansion, there would regularly be 200 people on fleet, or even multiple instances of fleet.

I downloaded the game last week when I got my new SSD, and there are about 60-80 people on fleet during prime time for that server and only one instance.  

Not only that, but every aspect of playing my characters have changed.  I have to fundamentally relearn all of my characters again.  My Vigilant Knight, for instance, used to be a DoT single target DPS beast.  Now, from what I'm reading, the Vigilant Knights are shit at Single Target DPS and great at AoE... well that's not why I built him that way ffs, BioWare.  
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Game sux right now, unless you pay to play, they say it's f2p but it's not.
    H0urg1ass said:

The last time that I played the game which was the Galactic Starfighter expansion, there would regularly be 200 people on fleet, or even multiple instances of fleet.

I downloaded the game last week when I got my new SSD, and there are about 60-80 people on fleet during prime time for that server and only one instance.  

Not only that, but every aspect of playing my characters have changed.  I have to fundamentally relearn all of my characters again.  My Vigilant Knight, for instance, used to be a DoT single target DPS beast.  Now, from what I'm reading, the Vigilant Knights are shit at Single Target DPS and great at AoE... well that's not why I built him that way ffs, BioWare.  
    It's funny every month you come back and say the exact same thing about Swtor ..you are aware there is a history of your post right?  

Its 11am on New Year's Day there are four instances in the fleet right now....

As for your toon ever mmorpg has class changes.  In 3.0 your toon according to Duffy did a 7 for single target dps and an 8 for AOE.  In 4.0 you do a 6 for single target and a 10 for AOE so instead of "reading " the toxic forums how about you try and playing to toon before you QQ about it. Because no it doesn't go "shit" single target damage compared to 3.0.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Lord.Bachus said:

They're all still at the theatre watching the movie for the third time... or playing with their BB-8 Droids that they bought for Christmas.   By the time they tire of this, they won't be interested in SWTOR.
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    edited January 2016
    H0urg1ass said:

It's funny every month you come back and say the exact same thing about Swtor ..you are aware there is a history of your post right?  

As for your toon ever mmorpg has class changes.  In 3.0 your toon according to Duffy did a 7 for single target dps and an 8 for AOE.  In 4.0 you do a 6 for single target and a 10 for AOE so instead of "reading " the toxic forums how about you try and playing to toon before you QQ about it. Because no it doesn't go "shit" single target damage compared to 3.0.

It can't be that the guy really had that experience of the game. No way. Let's counter his report with a condemnation. That is a good way to get people to love the simple game that is SWTOR: Nu uh it doesn't suck, you're a liar!

If you want to champion the game you might try being a good ambassador for the community.
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    1. The official forums will tell you very well how SWTOR is doing. They don't hold punches. Unless you are deleting everything you don't like to hear, of course. 

2. You added housing but it's "hooks". Basically it's a method "just so I can say we did it". It's lazy and it's crap and you know it. Housing isn't just for displaying trophies, you know. I should not be forced to place anything in any location. You want better reviews on this? Since SWG no longer exists, go take a look at EQ2. I reestablished my account there and have been so busy decorating that I now have THREE houses I'm working on at once and have done nothing else in about 8 months but that. And I can turn everything 360 degrees and upside down, then on the x,y,z axis. You have static housing just like they do, it shouldn't be hard to do. 

3. The new expansion is great. It's the first time in a long time that I've been excited to experience the Star Wars storyline in that game. But there is a problem. Your character now automatically lowers level to go to any original game zone making it much harder to complete quests. Really? Why am I not being give the OPTION to do this rather than having forced on me? 

4. The new content can be finished in hours for each chapter. Great... new content. But when it lasts only a few hours, IT'S NOT LONG ENOUGH or the content isn't being released quick enough.

5. The allure of flashpoints (or rather, raids) has long gone poof. And I don't like pvp. There is nothing for me to do at end game. 

I let my account lapse on that game so it's gone to premium. I'll give it a few more months then come back to actually play more than a few hours of new content a month. So it will take me a week, then I'll be right back to where I started now. 

The game would have been better off not being released as an MMO but as a single player game like KOTOR and KOTOR2. In spite of your accomplishments with increasing the value of your companions, and the excellent video conversations you can have with almost anyone (except for the new content which you decided to cheap out on so you didn't have to pay voice actors and developers to create the videos for. Yes, that's right, I'm not stupid. I know why you did it. And it's not to "resemble the old games" like you claim), this game isn't very good. Why not release a game like the old ones but allowing for people to mod it where you didn't with the old games the way we can with most new ones including Mass Effect and Dragon Age? This game is wasted as an MMO. 
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    edited January 2016
    H0urg1ass said:

You say 4 instances of Fleet like that is something impressive. There are always 2 instances of Fleet up at anytime even when neither are at cap. Fact of the matter is yes a lot of people have left. Some new faces to replace the old, but at end of day. They have lost more then they have gained. Why else do you think they ran that "Try first chapter of KOTFE for free" campaign. If the game was doing as well as you make it out to be that would not be necessary.  FF14 runs free weekends every now and then, but how many of those free weekends give access to their new expansion?

Don't even want to point out the "Sub from this date to that date" campaign. Are you really trying to convince everyone, that is the sign of a healthy game?

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    H0urg1ass said:

My post history has almost no SWTOR in it at all.  I forgot about this game for nearly a year and I've been focused on Star Citizen, Crowfall and Black Desert more than anything.  I only posted about it now because I actually decided to see if the complete game revamp was any good.  That I haven't determined yet.

My post history, if you actually read it, would prove that fact unconditionally you ragehard troll.
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    H0urg1ass said:
    2 problems here. 

1. Lightside.
    2. Shadowlands.

Join the darkside and seek out The Ebon Hawk NA server
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    edited January 2016
    Roin said:
    H0urg1ass said:

You say 4 instances of Fleet like that is something impressive. There are always 2 instances of Fleet up at anytime even when neither are at cap. Fact of the matter is yes a lot of people have left. Some new faces to replace the old, but at end of day. They have lost more then they have gained. Why else do you think they ran that "Try first chapter of KOTFE for free" campaign. If the game was doing as well as you make it out to be that would not be necessary.  FF14 runs free weekends every now and then, but how many of those free weekends give access to their new expansion?

Don't even want to point out the "Sub from this date to that date" campaign. Are you really trying to convince everyone, that is the sign of a healthy game?
    The promotion isn't that much different from WoW giving free level 80's (85's? 90's?) with their whole "scroll of resurrection" thing. Tempting old players into returning is a strategy every MMO does, even the most successful one. They would have to be fools to go "Eh, whatever. Gone is gone, there will be two new players for every one that's left!"

The servers I play on are nice and busy, which I'll take as an indication of how the game is doing over forum whining any day. Especially here where you have certain people who show up in every thread to express how much they want this game to be dead so that they can have a SWG 2.0. (which I doubt would happen even IF Swtor died xD).

The whole "stay subbed from x until y" also isn't anything new. Blizzard did it long before them with "Stay subbed for a year, and you'll get Diablo 3 for free!" (Along with MoP beta access and possibly the expansion itself). It's a valid strategy because it often works. Granted, Blizzard did it better. Unless Bioware reveals some really nifty rewards in the coming months, not many will care about the whole promotion.

For me it doesn't change anything, I'm subbed anyway. And if for some reason I lose interest, I'll go play something else.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

edited January 2016
    Archlyte said:
    H0urg1ass said:

It can't be that the guy really had that experience of the game. No way. Let's counter his report with a condemnation. That is a good way to get people to love the simple game that is SWTOR: Nu uh it doesn't suck, you're a liar!

If you want to champion the game you might try being a good ambassador for the community.
    Not champion anything pal...just proving him wrong sorry you can't handle facts and rather QQ about a video game you don't play.  
  • Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    Well to add my tuppence, I came back to this game when i saw someone link on this forum that its changed , and i must be honest i was pleasantly surprised

When i played i got a BH upto 50 and stopped playing, (couldn't warrant having something like 6 subs per month whilst a student) in that time i pretty much forgot about the game.
    However, since ive come back ive honestly enjoyed it, yes the game does have some problems

The fact that im only on Hoth in my storyline and yet im about to hit level 64, which means a lot of going to content that in some cases is almost 30 levels below me, which makes me rather overpowered.
    ^^ is probably my biggest bug bear

Then we have the fact that so far most of it i have been able to do solo with nothing but Sith Lightsaber and a healer companion , the content needs more challenge, granted i dont like to 'forced group' but not having to group with anyone is a bit of disappointment even the ship instances (forgot their names) that used to have to be group can now be solo'd as you get a droid NPC that kicks ass.
    ^^ This i can see be a major problem for some players, but for me i dont mind

However, Some of the plus points are that as a MMO the storyline and fact that all missions (for me so far) are voice acted with cut scenes makes a big change from not bother to read a 'balloon' of text, i now find myself actually watching the scenes and having ull dialogue.

I have been given quests to goto the new storyline due to my levels, but am purposely holding back as i want to experience the storylines in their original order (in terms of story not difficulty)

I dont PvP so cannot comment on this, i may find myself having a go
    Ive not yet done any spaceship combat, but from what i see and what i remember there seems far more missions, but as people on here stated once you have done them 1 or 2 they can become rather tedious, but i will leave judgement until i give them a bash.

In terms of numbers, whilst the servers are not busy / busling hives of activity there is plenty enough people flying about that you can conversation and quick groups for bosses etc, whilst not having to wait around for the spawns for your own missions, Also at moment its worth noting that due to holiday season most MMO tend to have a drop in numbers etc. 

But, one thing i will add, that i think a LOT OF PEOPLE are forgetting that whilst there is a f2p or a freemium version of the game, this game is still Sub based game,  when you sub you get the existing added content for free, which for me is a big plus. I would say the f2p is more an unlimited trial with some restrictions, but for a sub based game its still fun.

Longevity i cannot comment on but so far so good, but like a lot of people im probably most likely going to play/wait until Black desert comes out, then i will see how i feel about SWTOR

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited January 2016
    I got bored trying to replay the game,it is just too simple and generic.I can't even find the want to press on to level 20.Very first zone already has me wanting to exit game.
    Post edited by Wizardry on

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    edited January 2016
    Pepeq said:
    Lord.Bachus said:

They're all still at the theatre watching the movie for the third time... or playing with their BB-8 Droids that they bought for Christmas.   By the time they tire of this, they won't be interested in SWTOR.
    Printing a Skywalker statue in my 3d printer atm, then giving it a perfect paint.

After that doing a new Alien statue print.

Probably watch ep. 7 again, but without 3d this time.

And yeah, I played SWTOR, but it's a restricted themepark without open worlds, and it's pre-original saga.
    I like stormtroopers, Tie-Fighters, X-wings, original saga music etc etc etc.

Tbh, I would like to play Star Wars Galaxies even more before returning to SWTOR.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Muke said:

Printing a Skywalker statue in my 3d printer atm, then giving it a perfect paint.

After that doing a new Alien statue print.

Probably watch ep. 7 again, but without 3d this time.

And yeah, I played SWTOR, but it's a restricted themepark without open worlds, and it's pre-original saga.
    I like stormtroopers, Tie-Fighters, X-wings, original saga music etc etc etc.

Tbh, I would like to play Star Wars Galaxies even more before returning to SWTOR.

How are we doing? Much better than you are because according to your avatar, you died two days ago.

• songofdeath1songofdeath1 Member UncommonPosts: 21
    @Postcards ;I don't like this game
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    edited January 2016
    The game is doing great. Lots of people everywhere, many of them new players.

Of course like all mmo's it has it's issues and some of Bioware's decisions like the companion God mode - mega nerf - buff again maneuver made things "interesting" on the forums.

A casual subscriber starting now or returning after an absence has plenty of content to keep him / herself busy.

To the F2P players demanding more stuff: /shoo.. freeloaders do not get to ask for anything, you play 8 class story lines for free which is way more than you deserve. Same applies to the ones who became preferred with a 5 euro purchase from the CM and think that these 5 bucks entitle them to everything.

You like the game, subscribe. You do not like the game, find something else.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

it is free to play.  You can play a lot of the game without paying a cent.  Do they have restrictions?  Sure, why should freeloaders get everything they want?
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

waynejr2 said:

it is free to play.  You can play a lot of the game without paying a cent.  Do they have restrictions?  Sure, why should freeloaders get everything they want?
    They SHOULDNT but those with the entitlement mentality think they should. 
  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,077
    The game is one of the top revenue generating MMO's on the market right now if that says anything. I mean, EA does nickle and dime a few things they shouldn't (they did ease up on some of that, though but still not enough). But yeah with the expansion a metric f*** ton of players have returned. I did after a pretty long absence and have enjoyed the new content a great deal.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Valentina said:
    The game is one of the top revenue generating MMO's on the market right now if that says anything. I mean, EA does nickle and dime a few things they shouldn't (they did ease up on some of that, though but still not enough). But yeah with the expansion a metric f*** ton of players have returned. I did after a pretty long absence and have enjoyed the new content a great deal.
    Welcome back! And yes, there have been a lot of new (and returning) players as of late. Some of them due to the movies, others because they got bored with their current MMO, and some who are finally trying an MMO for the first time. :D

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/