Worth joining CB?

slowpoke68slowpoke68 Chicago, ILMember UncommonPosts: 478
Wondering how this game is coming along.  Specifically, how is the community and is it fun.  Looking for something new to play, just wondering what you guys think about taking the plunge on this one.

Thanks.

Comments

• Mad+DogMad+Dog EdinburghMember UncommonPosts: 748
    Was wondering the same thing, but wow what a long beta it is. Was hoping it would be released early next year! 

• butchograndebutchogrande TrierMember UncommonPosts: 21
    The game and the CB was expanded to August 2016 just yesterday
  • Mad+DogMad+Dog EdinburghMember UncommonPosts: 748
    Lol

• Viper482Viper482 Somewhere, FLMember RarePosts: 1,685
    I played it for a few hours and loved it. I just don't want to put a lot of time into it then get wiped.
  • snoockysnoocky maarnMember UncommonPosts: 674
    Great!

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn belleville, ILMember RarePosts: 3,055
    I've supported, but I have an irrational dislike of being wiped.  Will wait, but looking forward to it.

Concentrate on enjoying yourself, and not on why I shouldn't enjoy myself.

• Kez95Kez95 Near Dallas, TXMember UncommonPosts: 53
    I have played it for 150 hours or so.  98% of that time was gathering materials, crafting gear, leveling up by killing mindless PvE mobs for hours, getting slightly better gear/skills, rinse repeat.  The PvP is like most open-world PvP: your team vs a huge zerg - not much fun; your zerg vs a few people - not much fun; rarely even fights - pretty fun.  Sadly, there are not many even fights because on death, you lose ALL your gear and a lot of people either don't bring their best gear because of this, or don't fight unless they outnumber the other team by a lot.

Due to the hardcore nature of losing your stuff, you have to save a lot of cash to buy your gear back, or spend hundreds of hours gathering and crafting so you can craft lots of spare sets of gear.

The gathering is fun, but it's just a virtual skinner box, not complicated at all or anything new.  You gather copper, then tin, then iron, etc., and of course tin takes twice as long to gather, and weighs twice as much, and to refine it into tin bars also requires copper - so yeah, lots of time moving up and it gets harder and harder.  Eventually you can't gather anything useful except in the dangerous zones, and by then the resources are so heavy, you can only care about 150 of them each trip, and it takes a long time to harvest them.  150 wood would be enough to craft 4 basic bows with nothing special on them, and you need to craft about 80 of them just to move up to the next level - not much fun.  

Banks aren't linked either.  The map is huge and there are plans to add tons more zones, but if you find a great harvesting spot, you will need to store it in the local bank, or fast-travel back with your gear, which costs a huge amount of silver - the cost is not based on distance, it's based on the value of your resources, so you find some great stuff, but have to spend a lot to get back to your guild's area.  The other option is to get an Oxen to travel with that can store a ton of your gear, but it is slow and can't really hold as much as you would like.  Using an Oxen in dangerous zones means your chance of surviving is pretty low, so you can't use it when actually gathering things.  So a lot of my time was trekking out to a spot to gather resources, going back and forth to the bank until I had a lot of it, then get an oxen and spend an hour moving all the good stuff back so I could refine it.  Gets old pretty fast.

It can be tense gathering in the high zones, and that can be fun, but also frustrating collecting an hours worth of rare materials, only to run into a zerg on your way back to town, losing everything including all the gear, mount, bag, and tools you spent a lot for so you can harvest resources.

There are a few "territories" your guild can claim, which lead to 5v5 fights, but unless you are one of the top 5 people in your guild, you won't get to enjoy that content either.

They are changing things, but if they don't add a lot of 5v5 or 10v10 fights over things, then it will always be just who has the most people.  Even in a fair fight, if they have a bunch of dedicated crafters in their guild, or people spending real $$$$, then they will have much better gear and that won't be much fun either.

MMORPGs are virtual skinner boxes.

http://www.nickyee.com/eqt/skinner.html