Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Actual retrospective of Star Citizen 2015

Comments

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    edited January 2016
    Quesa said:
    You made a sweeping and generalized comment which wasn't true.  There isn't anything desperate about my actions despite soaking the entire exchange in sarcasm in an attempt to show how you're still right, in some capacity.

If Arena commander is stable and working then why would they spend a large portion of their development time on it?  Why wouldn't they then shift resources over the the PU/PTU?  I don't think Arena Commander is intended to be anything more than a game within a game or a way for someone to become more familiar/comfortable with the flight models.
    When I made that generalizimg comment I was talking about the actual game, not Arena Commander.
    I'm surprised there's people who are still talking about AC considering 2.0 has been released which is where I drew the desperation comment from.

If you did actually include sarcasm in your posts, it wasn't apparent at all.

If AC is a feature they want to include in the release of the game, then being stable isn't enough.
    If they are going to leave it as is, then why waste resources in even implementing it.

..Cake..

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    sgel said:
    Quesa said:
    You made a sweeping and generalized comment which wasn't true.  There isn't anything desperate about my actions despite soaking the entire exchange in sarcasm in an attempt to show how you're still right, in some capacity.

If Arena commander is stable and working then why would they spend a large portion of their development time on it?  Why wouldn't they then shift resources over the the PU/PTU?  I don't think Arena Commander is intended to be anything more than a game within a game or a way for someone to become more familiar/comfortable with the flight models.
    When I made that generalizimg comment I was talking about the actual game, not Arena Commander.
    I'm surprised there's people who are still talking about AC considering 2.0 has been released which is where I drew the desperation comment from.

If AC is a feature they want to include in the release of the game, then being stable isn't enough.
    If they are going to leave it as is, then why waste resources in even implementing it.
    I was referencing your posts, with the sarcasm point.  

No, the actual game (the mPU), as a whole, is stable atm but the PTU is which means they are making strides in that department.  I'm not sure why anyone would think that an entire game that is in development would be stable.

As for the AC, I've been getting the impression that it will remain in game, along with Star Marine (the FPS module) as a no-consequence, instanced arena which could still be used to generate REC, thus make it easier for people to rent spaceships, modules, or FPS gear.
    Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
    Quesa said:
    sgel said:
    Quesa said:

No, the actual game (the mPU), as a whole, is stable atm but the PTU is which means they are making strides in that department.  I'm not sure why anyone would think that an entire game that is in development would be stable.

As for the AC, I've been getting the impression that it will remain in game, along with Star Marine (the FPS module) as a no-consequence, instanced arena which could still be used to generate REC, thus make it easier for people to rent spaceships, modules, or FPS gear.
    So you've went from "quite stable" to "is stable".
    Then you're implying we should expect it to be unstable? :)

Your defence is all over the place.

It's also surprising that you've mentioned Star Marine after the illfonic fiasco and the current state of the FPS part of the game.

Also, I thought REC was temporary and it was going to be removed when the game launches with UEC being the in-game currency.

..Cake..

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    All I can say is that 2016 better produce some measurable results. If in a year from now, we're still re-hashing these very same conversations with nothing new to look at, then yeah, SC is a scam as far as I'm concerned.
  • QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    sgel said:
    Quesa said:
    sgel said:
    Quesa said:

It's also surprising that you've mentioned Star Marine after the illfonic fiasco and the current state of the FPS part of the game.

Also, I thought REC was temporary and it was going to be removed when the game launches with UEC being the in-game currency.
    Back to this again.  the PTU is stable, quite stable is placing emphasis on the fact that you were making an incorrect assertion.  I thought we were past this but I suppose you just can't let it go.  The mPU is not as stable and I never stated such, my comment was restricted to the PTU.  "...the PTU is quite stable."

Star Marine is mostly done but they put it on hold to push the mPU/PTU out with some basic FPS functionality.

I'm not sure if REC will stay or go.  
    Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
    edited January 2016
    Quesa said:
    sgel said:
    Quesa said:
    sgel said:
    Quesa said:

Back to this again.  the PTU is stable, quite stable is placing emphasis on the fact that you were making an incorrect assertion.  I thought we were past this but I suppose you just can't let it go.  The mPU is not as stable and I never stated such, my comment was restricted to the PTU.  "...the PTU is quite stable."

Star Marine is mostly done but they put it on hold to push the mPU/PTU out with some basic FPS functionality.

I'm not sure if REC will stay or go.  
    The PTU isn't "quite" stable though. You're actually the only person I've seen claim that.
    Even avid fans accept the fact that it has stability issues.
    I'm also not sure why you're separating the PTU from the mPU.

2.1 is more stable than 2.0 but that's not saying much considering how unstable it was.
    It still has lots of stability issues among the numerous other bugs/glitches and things not working properly.

Star Marine is mostly done!? That's new to me. Where is the information on the "mostly done" FPS module then?

..Cake..

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

Have they been able to get more than 16 people in an instance yet?  In a 'stable' manner?   They were talking 50+ at the beginning, but Roberts' ideas and pronouncements are often not rooted in any practical reality.  

They really have to get out the single player game this year to maintain credibility.   But that will pretty much require them to have every aspect of the game working except the multiplayer.   My best guess is a very buggy 'release' in late December of this year.   Along with excuses.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229

Have they been able to get more than 16 people in an instance yet?  In a 'stable' manner?   They were talking 50+ at the beginning, but Roberts' ideas and pronouncements are often not rooted in any practical reality.  

They really have to get out the single player game this year to maintain credibility.   But that will pretty much require them to have every aspect of the game working except the multiplayer.   My best guess is a very buggy 'release' in late December of this year.   Along with excuses.

They won't need to make any excuses if it does go that route. The fans will do it for them and defend them until they are blue in the face.

Nah. Even getting 16 in any form of manner is pretty amazing at this point. Bugs increase, FPS decrease by about 50% and it's actually surprising if you don't get a plethora of glitches. It's kind of obvious their netcode is a mess right now and will need A LOT of fixing.

CR was talking about 75-100 people at one point.. though his latest comments on the topic (iirc) talk about 70 or so people. They're going to need A LOT of work to actually make that number.

Stability is better when you "hack" it to play offline, though the whole thing still feels like a glorified tech demo.

..Cake..

• BenjolaBenjola Member UncommonPosts: 843
    I actually fully enjoy watching this Star Titanic sink for two reasons:

1 - I always had a feeling that Kickstarter while sounding good in theory it also opens the door for washed out game developers to steal money from gullible gamers who enjoyed their games long ago just because they were gaming virgins and didn't know any better.
    Remember, not a single sane investor wants to invest money in these hacks, that's why they come to Kickstarter in the first place.
    And when you see how gullible, blind and in total denial these 'fans' are it becomes pretty clear that a massive fiasco like Star Titanic was just a matter of time.

2 - Watching these so called fans come up with the most insane excuses for the shortcommings of 'their game'.
    It's fun and sad at the same time, you laugh but deep inside you feel for these fools.
    They are like the band that kept playing music while Titanic was sinking..
    Psychologists should study this Star Titanic phenomena because these  'fans' are pushing the envelop on how far a human mental defence mechanism can go.

I care about your gaming 'problems' and teenage anxieties, just not today.

Finally got around to read my pcgamer from December and I do like the article on star citizen and more importantly squadron 42. The article talks about how awesome it all sounds and how great it all looks but then near the end they throw out one little piece of information which I will quote.

"Squadron 42 seems to still be very much in the early stages of development and I wasn't shown a working build. Everything I saw was in the CryEngine editor or described verbally by one of the editors."

I would be very surprised if it makes a 2016 release
  • snicolsnicol Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Benjola said:
    I actually fully enjoy watching this Star Titanic sink for two reasons:

1 - I always had a feeling that Kickstarter while sounding good in theory it also opens the door for washed out game developers to steal money from gullible gamers who enjoyed their games long ago just because they were gaming virgins and didn't know any better.
    Remember, not a single sane investor wants to invest money in these hacks, that's why they come to Kickstarter in the first place.
    And when you see how gullible, blind and in total denial these 'fans' are it becomes pretty clear that a massive fiasco like Star Titanic was just a matter of time.

2 - Watching these so called fans come up with the most insane excuses for the shortcommings of 'their game'.
    It's fun and sad at the same time, you laugh but deep inside you feel for these fools.
    They are like the band that kept playing music while Titanic was sinking..
    Psychologists should study this Star Titanic phenomena because these  'fans' are pushing the envelop on how far a human mental defence mechanism can go.

Bravo Bravo!!
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited January 2016
    Hello @Benjola

I just played a few hours of "Shadowrun" from Harebrained Schemes LLC. Yes, the one from one of those "washed out game developers" (Jordan Weisman in that case). The game only exists because it was crowdfunded via Kickstarter. No "single sane investor" wanted to "invest money in these hacks".
    Oh boy, do these "sane investors" regret it now ;-)   http://steamspy.com/app/300550

Well, guess i am one of those "gullible gamers who enjoyed their games long ago". That must be the reason why i think that game is one of the best i have played in recent years. A game far better than most of what those "sane investors" came up with.

To make my "coming out" complete :  I am a Star Citizen backer with a single ship, a Constellation. Yeah, yeah, another of those "fans who are gullible, blind and in total denial". I not only supported ONE Kickstarter project, I supported SEVERAL ! And all of them delivered excellent games. Maybe those projects still running do to. Naahh, these projects  are only "hacks" made by ""washed out " old scammers.

I leave you to your totally interesting hobby of waiting for the next "Titanic" to sink. I am sure it fills you with joy and happiness.

Have fun

Erillion said:
    Hello @Benjola

I just played a few hours of "Shadowrun" from Harebrained Schemes LLC. Yes, the one from one of those "washed out game developers" (Jordan Weisman in that case). The game only exists because it was crowdfunded via Kickstarter. No "single sane investor" wanted to "invest money in these hacks".
    Oh boy, do these "sane investors" regret it now ;-)   http://steamspy.com/app/300550

Have fun

Or it could be that Shadowrun Returns was unable to secure funding via a typical publisher deal because of the licensing agreement with Microsoft. 
  • cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    I am at the point I wish that MMORPG would lock and not even allow for ANY SC talk for the next 6 months.  It seems like every other day the con-side creates a thread then a few days later the pro-side creates one and it goes back and forth saying nothing.

Please MMORPG staff, stop the non-sense!
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited January 2016
    I am at the point I wish that MMORPG would lock and not even allow for ANY SC talk for the next 6 months.  It seems like every other day the con-side creates a thread then a few days later the pro-side creates one and it goes back and forth saying nothing.

Please MMORPG staff, stop the non-sense!
    I could go for that ,except remember it is Chris Roberts who started it all,that is how he gets money.
    IF SC was removed from forums CR will still be paying THIS SITE to advertise his product in a positive  salesmen like fashion,in other words trying to mislead consumers.
    That si the major problem with gaming right now is it is more about advertising and marketing and more so misleading with nothing but site after site of biased positive reviews so that both developer and website make a ton of money.

IDK if you realize but every time you click,this site is loading a boat load of cookies/advertising ,they are making a ton of money from all of this.Point being before you point fingers at forum users remember where this is all coming from.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Brenics said:
    Good stuff!

Going to be an interesting year for SC and CR.

http://imperialnews.network/2016/01/drama-the-responsening/

Have fun

Erillion said:
    Brenics said:
    Good stuff!

Have fun

So INN calls out the article for having no concrete proof but then posts quotes without any concrete proof themselves. The summary is also comedy gold.

"The first being, why does it matter. It’s a private individual and a private company having a spat."

Clearly it matters if you took the time to write an article about an article. It also seems to matter enough to contact people at CIG to get their input on this and not post any proof you did which leads into the next point.

"The second problem, is there’s simply no credible proof that any of the claims made by BeerfortheBeerGod, or those made in Mr. Usher’s article, are factual."

Pot meet kettle.

"The third major problem is, quite frankly, that CIG can do what they please on their forums. It’s their site, their forums, and they’re both theirs to police as they see fit."

Yup they can do whatever the hell they please on their forums or anything they own or manage. If they start banning you for your opinion offsite or for talking to someone who is negative towards them then that is another issue and should speak volumes about CIG and their policies.
    Erillion said:
    Brenics said:
    Good stuff!

Have fun

Beer actually told them he can provide proof it was real if they wanted to.
    They refused.
    I wonder why :)

..Cake..

Erillion said:
    Hello @Benjola

I like how you think you can compare SC to actually released and succesfull kickstarter games.
    I think you need to wait till release for that mate.

..Cake..

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    sgel said:
    Erillion said:
    Hello @Benjola

I like how you think you can compare SC to actually released and succesfull kickstarter games.

He is not comparing SC with anything. He is making a pro Kickstarter argument.

And i agree, many high quality games exist and thrive only because of KS and the backers. Take Pillars of Eternity for example, imho the best RPG of 2015 wouldn't be here without the KS.
    Shodanas said:
    sgel said:
    Erillion said:
    Hello @Benjola

He is not comparing SC with anything. He is making a pro Kickstarter argument.

And i agree, many high quality games exist and thrive only because of KS and the backers. Take Pillars of Eternity for example, imho the best RPG of 2015 wouldn't be here without the KS.
    Oh my bad then. Considering the history of this poster I jumped to my conclusion. I apologize :)

I also agree on Kickstarter. Though if there's one title that's abused the hell out of this system, it's SC.

..Cake..

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    All I can say is that 2016 better produce some measurable results. If in a year from now, we're still re-hashing these very same conversations with nothing new to look at, then yeah, SC is a scam as far as I'm concerned.
    Oh, don't worry, these threads will exist as long as SC is in development, and will continue for years after the actual release.

The goal posts are just shifted every time SC progresses a little. SC is the $100M titan of the Kickstarter age, and it must be brought down at all costs ! Some people just want to watch the world burn...
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

sgel said:
    I also agree on Kickstarter. Though if there's one title that's abused the hell out of this system, it's SC.

Nope, Oculus Rift takes the cake when it comes to "abusing" Kickstarter...

They used backer funds too get their development to the point where they were bought for $2Billion (BILLION !) by FaceBook, and that was even before the "launch" of their product ! They made SC look like amateurs, lol
    Oh, don't worry, these threads will exist as long as SC is in development, and will continue for years after the actual release.

The goal posts are just shifted every time SC progresses a little. SC is the $100M titan of the Kickstarter age, and it must be brought down at all costs ! Some people just want to watch the world burn...
    Noone is actually trying to bring down SC, pretty much everyone interested in space games wants to play what they are promising.
    The only people responsible for any sort of Star Citizen failure are CIG.

..Cake..