Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Confused about Crowfall combat...

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
I'm old and slow and uncoordinated and other than DAoC, I've never been much of a PvPer (I did play the hell out of that game's RvR).  Strangely, though, I find myself drawn to some of the new, PvP-heavy games like Crowfall and Camelot Unchained.  I think that I'm just totally burnt out on a leveling grind focused on quest hubs.

Anyway, I was reading some about Crowfall combat on their FAQ.  They say they want to avoid being too twitchy and button-mashy.  At the same time, they say they want to have "action" combat somewhat akin to Wild Star (blah, what a terrible template) and TERA (not much better).  So what, exactly, are they planning to have?  Is it possible to have action combat without it being twitchy and button-mashy?

Perhaps more importantly, is there a place in Crowfall for an old, slow, uncoordinated dude?  At least in Camelot Unchained, I know I could make an in-game life for myself as a crafter.

Thanks for any info!

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    From my limited experience so far with the pre-alpha, it's close to TERA, but seems slower paced and less twitchy. Does that make sense? You have to aim, but there are conical, AOE, and other area-wide attacks. There's no tabbing to target in Crowfall, but I expect you're liable to find a class that suits you. Plus, though the game's main focus is on PVP, even PVE folks will do their share for the fight without always having to be in the raiding party on enemy camps.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    edited December 2015
    Thanks, that doesn't sound so bad.

How can PvE players contribute to a PvP battle?  Through crafting?

Also, although it's just a guess at this point:  Which game do you think will require a higher level of coordination and reaction time in PvP, Camelot Unchained or Crowfall?
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

There will actually be PVE in a lot of the campaign worlds. So you'll be able to get resources, kill mobs, take down bosses, etc in the campaign worlds without necessarily needing to be in every major fight. But it'll still be a PVP world -- either Faction vs. Faction, Guild vs. Guild, FFA, etc. -- depending on which one you're playing on.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    You can have a life as a crafter in Crowfall too. 

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/1214/feature/9325/Crowfall-Building-Upon-Star-Wars-Galaxies-Crafting.html

I like these PvP-heavy games but mostly on a managerial level and Crowfall offers a lot on that front. 

Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    I'm old and slow and uncoordinated and other than DAoC, I've never been much of a PvPer (I did play the hell out of that game's RvR).  Strangely, though, I find myself drawn to some of the new, PvP-heavy games like Crowfall and Camelot Unchained.  I think that I'm just totally burnt out on a leveling grind focused on quest hubs.

Anyway, I was reading some about Crowfall combat on their FAQ.  They say they want to avoid being too twitchy and button-mashy.  At the same time, they say they want to have "action" combat somewhat akin to Wild Star (blah, what a terrible template) and TERA (not much better).  So what, exactly, are they planning to have?  Is it possible to have action combat without it being twitchy and button-mashy?

Perhaps more importantly, is there a place in Crowfall for an old, slow, uncoordinated dude?  At least in Camelot Unchained, I know I could make an in-game life for myself as a crafter.

Thanks for any info!

First of all, Wildstar combat is more-less scrapped long time ago, and speaking of Tera, there are two important things:

1) It's combat becomes IMO quicker, much more fluid and intuitive past lvl 30-40 and later, BUT at that point like 90% of people has already quit, getting bored from grind and whatnot - thus the general bad taste for, I'd say, quite decent combat system;

2) Another thing is, many here consider the game to be mediocre or just bad overall (not that I disagree), and that kinda strongly influences opinions on some of it's good aspects - say...combat  =)

Also, although it's just a guess at this point:  Which game do you think will require a higher level of coordination and reaction time in PvP, Camelot Unchained or Crowfall?

In Eternal Kingdoms (the safe place, aka Carebearland) you can build, craft, trade etc. but ONLY as long as you have stuff, and for that - you will need to either play (and preferably win) Campaigns or to have good relations with some fighters winning these.

There will be some scarce resources in EKs and, of course, you can buy buildings and parcels (from cash shop) or materials/resources (from players, for tradeable monthly subs = VIP tickets or likely for real cash once the market establishes), but I don't see too much fun in it.

In Campaigns, you can do crafting, building, trading safely as long as you are inside keeps/castles or whatever your guild/alliance has built (here will be hours long siege "windows", during which your place becomes vulnerable to enemy attacks). Of course, you can go out to mines, quarries, woods, hunting grounds or whatever protected by allies or maybe trying to sneak in and gather some during late night hours etc.

Also, you will be able to travel back and forth between Campaigns and Eternal Kingdoms, but without being able to bring anything in or out - think of it as of astral projection; Say, your guild might need to do some minor administration or to replace/adjust artifacts or relics, or you might just want to get away to some safe place briefly.

It might look at first glance that Camelot Unchained will have less twitchy combat, (thou still a crossover between aiming and tab target) BUT depending on where meta lands, it can actually end (or not...) with much more complex and demanding combat system (having in mind extremely high customizability, aiming at body parts - even while healing - the A.I.R. system etc.).

I guess the last paragraph would be just the other way to echo your "it's just a guess at this point" =)

W...aaagh?
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    edited December 2015
    As someone that hasn't ever really enjoyed highly twitchy games and holds DAoC to be one of the best mmos I've played, CF isn't very demanding.

You have to aim, but really not too different than clicking a target in another game instead of using Tab and holding your pointer steady on them. A lot of abilities are AOE/Cone giving a bit of forgiveness. Range has to work a bit harder, but not FPS shooter precision.

They announced today that after all the feedback from testing, they aren't happy about where it is and will be adjusting things before the upcoming tests next month.

Much of it being combat is actually too slow and clunky. More of stand there and go down the row than any real complex "twitchy" style.

DAoC had reaction/positional attacks which even with the lag and what not, required players to move around a bit. CF is straight hit targets in their face.

Only real "twitch" element is the combo system which requires you to hit a key after you activate an ability to do another "stronger" attack, bu the speed is pretty slow. Hit 4, attack animation, 4 & E pop up on screen and you have a second or two to pick one to combo into or not. Very straight forward.

I've been playing in the Black Desert beta and the combat is much more twitchy, yet a lot more engaging and natural. Even if you just faceroll and flip all over the place, it feels/looks good. By comparison CF even trying to be twitchy and effective doesn't give me the same reward. While BDO is a bit over the top for me, I enjoy it a lot more than what I've experienced in CF so far. Hopefully the next tests and changes keep me interested.

Unfortunately for both CU and CF, they have a long way to go and there isn't a clear picture of how either will turn out. Even though I backed CF, I'm interested in CU as DAoC/WAR were so fun to me. On paper I think CF has more longevity potential, but at this point nothing is certain.

If BDO adds in more GvG siege types features (not terrible currently from what I gather) and more risk vs reward, would have a hard time going for CF/CU if they aren't able to be as innovative. Some of the features in BDO put to shame the good majority of other mmos that have come out. Chronicles of Elyria seems to be heading in the same route if they can pull it off.

CF/CU seem very simple in comparison. Unfortunately I'm a fan of higher risk/reward games and the potential for FFA or just looting, destruction of what others have built and what not is a big draw for me. BDO seems much more friendly, but it might be enough. Non-Combat wise, it has to be one of the most "sandbox" games I've seen allowing for so many things for people to do. Fishing appears to be a main draw for many which is funny for a game that is supposed to be focused on PVP in the end game.