Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best class for small group ganks

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Bellomo said:

Gankers make the best pvpers hands down. Its the people that cry about ganking that are horrible at pvp.

That's not necessarily my experience. I've been ganked in game before only to take out my attacker and have them "cry" at me and threaten me after it was done. 

Seems that a good amount of them are good at dishing it out but can't take it. Not everyone mind you but enough to realize that they are truly pathetic on other ways.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • A1learjetA1learjet Member UncommonPosts: 258
    Here I came to this thread to see players thought son Best class  and personally I was guessing it was gonna be the witch or sorcerer 

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    gankers, likely were the kids in 8th grade that picked on the 6th graders, never chosing to fight an even fight.  I don't see the joy running around as a level capped character killing guys who don't stand a chance, I prefer battlegrounds where the playing field is equal.  I personally play the white knight in games, trying to help protect the innocent players when they call for help.

I hate gankers personally, but without them OW pvp doesn't exist.  I personally would never attack just a random person just because the pvp world is turned on.

• Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    Bellomo said:

Gankers make the best pvpers hands down. Its the people that cry about ganking that are horrible at pvp.

lol okay. Gankers only pick fights they know they can't lose. How does that make them good pvpers? It makes them cowards.
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    edited February 2016
    You do know that gankers are called that because its an unfair playing field in the gankers favor, right? That means there is very little chance the ganker(s) will lose as they either greatly outnumber or greatly out level their opponent(s) or both which basically translates to no skill involved in killing these lowly plebs. I mean, you could probably afk kill them because they're so weak in comparison.

So my question is, wheres the fun in that?
  • Acebets70Acebets70 Member UncommonPosts: 269
    These are the same people who killed AA.....
  • MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    tats27 said:
    With the new PVP updates and the addition of the outlaw town I'm thinking I'll be spending a lot of time PK'n.

Since Ninja won't be available on launch, what class do you all think will be the best at hit and run sort of attacks?

I'm leaning Sorc, but I haven't tested Giant, Wizard, or Tamer yet.

Translation: "I want to grief other players but i don't want to get into a fight because i suck at PvP. What is the most OP class to basically just gank and run away?"

/smh
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Arkade99 said:
    Bellomo said:

lol okay. Gankers only pick fights they know they can't lose. How does that make them good pvpers? It makes them cowards.
    Well, that's not exactly true either.

Once, in Aion, I was talking with a buddy in game when I saw an Elyos coming at us. I quickly attacked him, buddy helped and we took him out.

So, "he lost".

If he was a guy who only wanted fights he could win then he would have found other game. But he actually came back, we weren't paying attention, he slept me before I could get my spell off (or somehow incapacitated me, don't exactly remember) took my buddy out and then took me out.

I think he was higher level but still, even though he lost he came back to try it again and won. 
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited February 2016
    bcbully said:
    tats27 said:
    In other words....no good reason. You just like being a griefer....
    Those are good reasons to me, lol. I like to PvP, I like to kill other players.

Yeah Valk would nice to have a long for all the CC/knockdowns she has.
    Ganking people has nothing to do with pvp, you are just a bully that wants to annoy people. If you want to pvp look for opponents and not victims buddy.
    Not his fault you choose to play the victim. Still player vs player.
    No such things as victims, only griefers. Its up to the developers to add PvE only gameplay for those who dont care about pvp  and dont want to get their experience ruined by griefers.

If they cater to pvpers only, the game will die. We all know this.

EDIT: if they do it the way B&S did, where you can only open world pvp if you wear your factions uniform, then this would be very well taken care of. Otherwise, its just a waste.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Rhoklaw said:

Rhoklaw said:
    Bellomo said:

So basically, what you are saying is it's better to be an immature child, than an adult, gotcha.
    Making assumptions about a person based on ganking is pretty damn immature and childish as well. 
    Not really, as much as society is anti stereotypes, if the shoe fits, blah blah blah.
    You're comparing real life society to video game behavior. It's hilariously pathetic. Whatever makes you feel better after being ganked, I guess. 

tats27 said:

If a game has open world PvP, like BDO, does, than expect people to participate in it.
    WoW has open world PvP, and guess what? the only open world PvP that goes on in there is max levels one shooting lower levels.

tats27 said:

If a game has open world PvP, like BDO, does, than expect people to participate in it.
    WoW has open world PvP, and guess what? the only open world PvP that goes on in there is max levels one shooting lower levels.
    Ever hear of Ashran, Winterspring, Tanaan, or Tol Barad?
  • BellomoBellomo Member UncommonPosts: 184
    edited February 2016

Ganking imo is only one fun form of pvp. A game with great PVP gives many options like mini games, arenas,  group pvp and solo pvp. I have been on both ends of the spectrum as far as ganking goes and in no way shape or form does it describe who I am. A great balanced game will give options to pve or pvp at any givin moment. There is no better feeling like killing someone trying to gank ya or grinding level or gear and getting bored so you gank another player because  it breaks up the monotony of a boring quest or grind. 

[mod edit]

Post edited by Vaross on
    edited February 2016

tats27 said:

we are talking open world pvp, not separate areas. Those areas you mention are fine, as long as there is pvp only within those areas. Im ok with open world pvp if i can choose when i want to pvp (spoiler:i dont),, so i expect to be able to play without participating in it. Give me the option, dont force me to do it. People are making it sound like BDO will force you to do pvp in the open world.

tats27 said:

we are talking open world pvp, not separate areas. Those areas you mention are fine, as long as there is pvp only within those areas. Im ok with open world pvp if i can choose when i want to pvp (spoiler:i dont),, so i expect to be able to play without participating in it. Give me the option, dont force me to do it. People are making it sound like BDO will force you to do pvp in the open world.
    You have that option. Play on a PVE server. 
    edited February 2016

Bellomo said:

[mod edit]

LOL.

A great balanced game lets you choose when you want to pvp. Go gank people flagged as pvp, as long as i can turn pvp off at will then the game is fine. If i want pvp  i play freaking Street Fighter. And your "you so called gamers" comment is nonsense. Ganking doesnt make you any more gamer than someone who wants to actually enjoy the game in peace.

Glad pvp is isolated in small instances in most games, so i dont have to deal with jerks.
    Post edited by Vaross on

• growillgrowill Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Sovrath said:
    tats27 said:
    In other words....no good reason. You just like being a griefer....
    Those are good reasons to me, lol. I like to PvP, I like to kill other players.

Yeah Valk would nice to have a long for all the CC/knockdowns she has.
    Ganking people has nothing to do with pvp, you are just a bully that wants to annoy people. If you want to pvp look for opponents and not victims buddy.
    To be fair, it sort of does.

The idea is that "the bad guy" kills someone and they then get their clan/guild involved. War is declared and then they fight until one or both sides agree to a cease fire.

Exactly this. People that think open world pvp is pointless have never experienced the best parts of lineage2 or UO.

The point of a sandbox is that everyone is as free as possible to do what they want and as many aspects of the game as possible are left to the players.
    For UO that meant that pve guilds would pay a PVP guild to protect their raids against "outlaws" that would try to raid them. And then wars happens and all that kind of cool things that make a mmorpg something different from playing on a NWN coop game

Carebears have had more than enough games for them, please leave this one alone cause the pvp community haven't had a decent open pvp game for a dozen years now (probably more)
  • Victor_KrugerVictor_Kruger Member UncommonPosts: 280
    So how did this turn into a tear jerk thread about ganking low-levels?  Only max level characters can world pvp in Black Desert. Pvp rules have been change for NA/EU version of the game with a new bounty system and no gear loss for bad karma players. 
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    I am downloading this one atm.

Let's see if the combat is as phenomenal as everyone describes it.
  • ThexReporterThexReporter Member UncommonPosts: 124
    virgommo said:
    tats27 said:
    With the new PVP updates and the addition of the outlaw town I'm thinking I'll be spending a lot of time PK'n.

Since Ninja won't be available on launch, what class do you all think will be the best at hit and run sort of attacks?

I'm leaning Sorc, but I haven't tested Giant, Wizard, or Tamer yet.
    So don't take this the wrong way, but what motivates this type of gameplay? I mean, I understand when there is something at stake for PVP, but what is the motivation for ganking in THIS game? Not like it's full loot, you get bad karma which actually makes YOU lose loot.

Unlike say Archeage you don't "have" to carry around trade packs you can lose. So many types of things you can "trade pack" that never leaves your inventory, from monster loot to fish etc. 

So, other than say running someone out of a good farming spot, what is the reasoning for the random gank here?
    It's funny.
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Rhoklaw said:
    Gankers definitely are the types of people in need of validation. I don't think I've ever heard anyone who ganks talk in a civilized or productive manner. I see internet tough guys, the keyboard warriors and the gamers who prey on the weak. What I don't see is anything even remotely close to being competitive. So let's not fool ourselves into thinking you are elite because you can kill lowbies.

So with that being said, BDO is a game that offers a wide range of possibilities. Play how you want and lets not worry about turning these forums into a pissing contest.
    You're coming forth quite unfair and short sighted here.

Ganking is part of the every day life on PvP realms and PvP oriented games. Is it fair ? No, but since when has open world pvp anything to do with being fair ? Life in Azeroth, on Hoth or Voss, in the dark cold space of EVE is brutal and death can come at any time.

Also, you would be surprised about how many gankers are very skilled pvp'ers participating in high end PvP.
  • SanisarSanisar Member UncommonPosts: 135
    The amount of stereotype-based animosity in this thread is astounding.  If these forums have taught me anything it's that the MMO crowd is extremely diverse, full of people who play MMOs for many different reasons.  Yet much of what I see in this thread is simple ignorance.

Some people gank for laughs, some from boredom, some for challenge, some because they are trying to get revenge on the guy they think ganked them, etc. etc.  Yet these comments make it out that everyone who participates in open-world PvP is some kind of sociopath living out some dominance fantasy online or something.  It's insane.

This is the first time I've thought this, but I'm pretty sure these people talking about enjoying ganking have a much firmer grip on reality than the people raging against it.  These are games; open-world PvP games infer a risk on your character.  You signed up to play the game, how is it sane of you to assume you will never get 'ganked', or be aggravated when it happens.

I once 'ganked' two same level players in vanilla WoW just to see if I could do it.  Just to challenge myself.  I didn't do it when they were pulling mobs, and I didn't camp them afterward.  Does that make me an internet sociopath?  My guild used to dance with lowbies at the Hib PK in Emain when we went that far, just cause.  Once I killed one with a throwing axe just to see if he would die or not.  It was actually hilariou; he didn't die IRL and it didn't fulfill some kind of twisted fantasy, it was just funny.  

99% of the time I see people in open-world PvP games I don't attack them unless there is something to be gained, I believe the majority of players are like this.  I make this assumption because I have known a lot of PvPers, been in PvP guilds, played many open-world PvP games, seen a lot of MMO combat, and this assumption matche my experience.

Yes there are people in games who want to spoil your fun for no reason from time to time.  The answer is not creating worlds that are so bland and anti-social that you prevent anyone else's actions ever affecting you.  The answer is to create games that are more social where players who are genuinely cancerous develop a reputation and eventually become ostracized by the community.

There are near-infinite games out there that insulate you from this behavior, go play them.

FWIW, I don't think FFA open-world PvP, or world PvP without any consequence is viable as a main focus in MMOs in 2016 (that want to be successful); but I'm also not trying to play a FFA/world-PvP focused MMO and complaining about getting 'ganked'.  

As far as BDO, why would you consider this game if you didn't want to PvP?  The PvE features are quite thin compared to many MMOs on the market where you can be insulated from PvP as much as you want.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Allein said:
    Always fun to have some coward jump you after you almost finish a really hard pve fight and you are low on health. I hope they all die from dick cancer.
    Well maybe if you weren't unfriendly, people wouldn't kill you  =)

Also don't get why people play games when they don't like the basic mechanics.

"I got killed in a game that has PVP, this is stupid!" Perfect logic.

Want fair/balanced/safe competition, play one of many that does just that. 
    They are expecting other players to exhibit a sense of honor, fair play, civility and restraint, in order to keep it fun for everyone.

What they get are the morally bankrupt, disreputable sociopaths who would rather disrupt others fun and enjoy seeing the world burn.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SanisarSanisar Member UncommonPosts: 135
    FWIW I will add that the last time I met any player in an MMO whose primary focus was 'ganking' was UO.  Not saying they don't exist, but it is being blown so out of proportion it seems.  

Many different types of players 'gank' from time to time in MMOs, the world isn't just gankers and non-gankers.  I can imagine that if you never kill anyone else in an MMO you can have a skewed perception of things, but most players who fight others in the open world aren't trying to ruin your life, they are doing what (to them) is part of the game design and don't view it as deviant.

To me true ganking consists of high level players killing low level players for no gain other that to harass them.  This is almost non-existent these days as far as I know.  The last time I was killed by a player many levels higher than me in any game was. . . . I don't even remember.  I literally don't remember.  I don't even think it's possible in most games.

I'm not speaking specifically about the OP, I don't know his motivations, but it really seems to me that the non-pvp crowd has an exaggerated view of open-world killing to say the least and assumes that every death is literally a sociopath who's only goal in life is to ruin harmless people's fun on the internet.  To me that outlook is beyond bleak.

Maybe my anecdotal experience is different from the people here.  Then again maybe I just interpret player killing (when it's not an exploit of the game) in a more rational way.
  • Victor_KrugerVictor_Kruger Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Kyleran said:
    Allein said:
    Always fun to have some coward jump you after you almost finish a really hard pve fight and you are low on health. I hope they all die from dick cancer.
    Well maybe if you weren't unfriendly, people wouldn't kill you  =)

Also don't get why people play games when they don't like the basic mechanics.

"I got killed in a game that has PVP, this is stupid!" Perfect logic.

Want fair/balanced/safe competition, play one of many that does just that. 
    They are expecting other players to exhibit a sense of honor, fair play, civility and restraint, in order to keep it fun for everyone.

What they get are the morally bankrupt, disreputable sociopaths who would rather disrupt others fun and enjoy seeing the world burn.

And here is the problem we have with some pve players , who take what happens to them in game too seriously. Trust me you might think a person who gank you is a basement dwelling psychopath but reality is it could be a teenage girl half paying attention to the game and not taking it as seriously as some of you. Watch Twitch, plenty of examples there of what I wrote. 

Simple rule of pvp , if you are red, you are dead. Everyone who plays on pvp servers/games knows this.