Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Restarting Everquest from scratch. 6 years till expected release. Why this franchise won't go away

Comments

• SyndromofaDownSyndromofaDown Member UncommonPosts: 325
    "You seem legit, but almost appear to be someone trolling to get a reaction from others. But I'll assume you simply want the game to do well and if so, I'm right there with you"

I can assure you i'm not trolling. You see, nothing that has been said here on these forums has struck a nerve because you guys' assumptions are pretty far from my line of thinking. There are no conflict at all. I simply shrug it off and continue being on the offense. I put the developers words in good faith. I follow this gameNOW is a good time to start posting on EQNext forums and i have been here since 2014 SOE live threads churning the hype machine under a different name. Back then, i had near 100 posts in one thread alone. Now i post here seeing how many other upcoming games are destined to be outshadowed by this one and it feels great. They have nothing on EQNext and all EQN needs to do is become made, which i have an 80% feeling it will...
  • AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178
    "You seem legit, but almost appear to be someone trolling to get a reaction from others. But I'll assume you simply want the game to do well and if so, I'm right there with you"

I can assure you i'm not trolling. You see, nothing that has been said here on these forums has struck a nerve because you guys' assumptions are pretty far from my line of thinking. There are no conflict at all. I simply shrug it off and continue being on the offense. I put the developers words in good faith. I follow this gameNOW is a good time to start posting on EQNext forums and i have been here since 2014 SOE live threads churning the hype machine under a different name. Back then, i had near 100 posts in one thread alone. Now i post here seeing how many other upcoming games are destined to be outshadowed by this one and it feels great. They have nothing on EQNext and all EQN needs to do is become made, which i have an 80% feeling it will...
    There isn't even a game to overshadow or a tech demo. Just screen shots.
    Screen shots for years.

Derek Smart school of game hype right there. Make em believe there is something so that it draws just enough interest to start a kickstarter or crowdfunded project and totally rip them off.

That's Daybreak!

I read the Smedley Quote: My response is this: How many years were they not profitable?
    How much was spent. Why the brand change "buy out" if such games had progression.

Answer: It's all bullshit hype. This is Smeds we're talking about. The same guy reknown for absolutely bullshitting people. It's like what he has done since what? The start?

How dumb do you have to be to even take anything he says for anything more than a grain of feces.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Daybreaks parent company, CN, likely saw the quagmire EQN actually was and likely never greenlite the funding needed to complete it (as announced by SOE in 2013).  I suspect their long-term goal is to sell off the Everquest franchise; main reason why they've gone completely dark on EQN while simultaneously provided small content two both existing Everquest MMOs.
    Why would they buy a video game company whose major IP is something that had a hey day years prior and whose only future is capitalizing on a new iteration of that IP?

Remember, when a company is being considered for purchase all assets and liabilities are looked at "before" the purchase is actually made.

It wasn't just a few guys who showed up with a bag of cash and said "gosh, we'd like to buy your company".

They would have looked at everything, made an estimate of what each thing was worth, who they needed ti keep, who they needed to "retire" from the company, what the assets were and how much they would have to pay in order to capitalize on those assets.

They also look at what money is owed, what leases they have or other financial obligations, how much they need to pay to get the company in the black.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sony sold SOE for pennies on the market. They had to. They lost 12 billion in one year so they wanted to focus on selling electronics and hardware etc. CN got a good deal and i think there is an article in the news in Feb. that all IPs are going to be continued including the developement of EQNext. I mean a simple google search will do that. For all i know EQ and EQ2 will continue to put out expansions but that is not the moneymaker Daybreak is putting their chips into, It's EQNext. Everyone know's a new IP will not generate enough people money so they are banking on the success of the Everquest franchise. The world war 2 mmo, they generally won't do as well and i suspect will be another planetside 2. 3 years until it starts to become profitable. Daybreak can change its fortunes with one mmo, and that mmo is EQnext...
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    edited December 2015

Why are you on the offense? You have nothing to prove, as you literally can't prove anything, we all have access to the same info.

While I'm still optimistic and would like to take the dev's on their word, certain things have happened that contradict what they've said. So I can't believe anything they say just because they said it.

What are you following? There is nothing to follow that wasn't there over a year ago.

You can't even post on official EQN forums because they closed them down.

I've been following the game since ~2010 or so. Maybe you missed a lot of what they said originally and didn't follow through on?

What was your previous account name? Being the person that has wasted the most time on this forum, I'll probably remember =)

Every upcoming game is targeted at a niche audience. EQN is one of the few trying to go after a larger demo and has been shown time after time, it usually doesn't end well. 

I have an 80% feeling I'm going to win the lottery, doesn't mean anything.

Nothing wrong with be positive, but you aren't going to change anyone's mind one way or another. Until DBG shows us something else, we don't know what's going to happen.

Sony sold SOE for pennies on the market. They had to. They lost 12 billion in one year so they wanted to focus on selling electronics and hardware etc. CN got a good deal and i think there is an article in the news in Feb. that all IPs are going to be continued including the developement of EQNext. I mean a simple google search will do that. For all i know EQ and EQ2 will continue to put out expansions but that is not the moneymaker Daybreak is putting their chips into, It's EQNext. Everyone know's a new IP will not generate enough people money so they are banking on the success of the Everquest franchise. The world war 2 mmo, they generally won't do as well and i suspect will be another planetside 2. 3 years until it starts to become profitable. Daybreak can change its fortunes with one mmo, and that mmo is EQnext...
    Storybricks actually tried to buy SOE, they turned them down, so apparently Sony wanted a few more pennies.

You do realize that just because they said they'd do one thing, doesn't mean they have to or will?

At this moment there isn't much to prove DBG is going to close down tomorrow, but at the same time there isn't much proof that EQN is going to be the WoW killer or whatever you image it to be.

EQN could just as easily be another flop of an mmo that runs at the bare minimum to stay a live as it is to be a blockbuster. Flip a coin.

When it actually sees the light of day we'll know more.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Sovrath said:

Daybreaks parent company, CN, likely saw the quagmire EQN actually was and likely never greenlite the funding needed to complete it (as announced by SOE in 2013).  I suspect their long-term goal is to sell off the Everquest franchise; main reason why they've gone completely dark on EQN while simultaneously provided small content two both existing Everquest MMOs.
    Why would they buy a video game company whose major IP is something that had a hey day years prior and whose only future is capitalizing on a new iteration of that IP?

Remember, when a company is being considered for purchase all assets and liabilities are looked at "before" the purchase is actually made.

It wasn't just a few guys who showed up with a bag of cash and said "gosh, we'd like to buy your company".

They would have looked at everything, made an estimate of what each thing was worth, who they needed ti keep, who they needed to "retire" from the company, what the assets were and how much they would have to pay in order to capitalize on those assets.

They also look at what money is owed, what leases they have or other financial obligations, how much they need to pay to get the company in the black.

Lot of money is made in selling off other people's work in pieces.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Nanfoodle said:
    All I know is DGC told us 2015 was going to be the year of EQN, not sure what that means with 2 weeks left in the year and as far as I can see, not any new info to mention. 
    I think the 'Year of EQ:N' pronouncement was made by the SOE employees before they were leashed by changes Daybreak might have made.  At least, it is beginning to look that the employees that were held over from SOE were hell bent to continue the path.  They continued the EQ:N message, without input from the new Daybreak power players.  Now, many of those SOE employees are gone, maybe replaced, maybe not.  So, the 'Year of EQ:N' announcement may have come entirely from Dave, and may not be indicative of Daybreak's plans.

----------
    I do think the silence may be a good thing for EQ:N.  There was so much information floating around in the customer base, most of it speculation and opinion.  The project was mismanaged, causing expectations to run wild.  A 'black out' is one way to let some of the rampant expectations to fade, allowing them the opportunity to rename the project and reintroduce it to a the market, hoping to keep a more proactive stance on information flow in the future.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

This is what i think happened. 75% of games that come out only show 1 hype video of gameplay then releases, sometimes alpha or beta first. Daybreak abandoned "open developement" and switched to this route at the same time it went through another iteration. This caused the silence and this is what everyone who was waiting on this game is now calling it vaporware. This is nothing new but bad timing since the fans decided they wanted the mmo to come out now instead we got Landmark. Working on Landmark then EQN is something that takes years hence the developement process. Landmark was originally thought up in 2010. Don't believe me? there are videos notably SOE live 2014 that showed Landmark as it originally looked.
    Horusra said:
    Sovrath said:

I agree, companies are actually created with the sole purpose of doing that. But what are they going to sell that couldn't have already been bought by another company when Sony wanted to sell this division? Maybe the idea is to buy all of the Intellectual property and then sell it piecemeal for slightly higher but they haven't done so.

What they could be thinking is to buy everything, release EQ Next so that the brand is in a stronger position and THEN sell.

Other than that, anyone with the right amount of money could have purchased what this investment company purchased.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    My gut tells me they'll release the game as soon as they possibly can, probably unfinished, and cash in on $150 beta packages before they sell.
    I know i started out saying the next iteration of EQ doesn't need to come out now. I go back on my words. This needs to come out soon badly. The more i see Black Desert gameplay the more i think we are destined to see more horrible mmorpgs to come. Please Daybreak, for the love of God release EQN!
    This is what i think happened. 75% of games that come out only show 1 hype video of gameplay then releases, sometimes alpha or beta first. Daybreak abandoned "open developement" and switched to this route at the same time it went through another iteration. This caused the silence and this is what everyone who was waiting on this game is now calling it vaporware. This is nothing new but bad timing since the fans decided they wanted the mmo to come out now instead we got Landmark. Working on Landmark then EQN is something that takes years hence the developement process. Landmark was originally thought up in 2010. Don't believe me? there are videos notably SOE live 2014 that showed Landmark as it originally looked.
    Please provide sources.

What are these 1 hype video games you speak of? MMOs? AAA MMOS?

SOE stopped open development/communication after SOE Live 2014. Omeed left and the PR train basically stopped. They never fully addressed the change and replaced what was rather decent communication with Workshops which are pretty poor for this.

What is this other iteration you speak of?

"Everyone" that was waiting for EQN is not calling it vaporware. I'm part of "everyone" and don't call it that.

Fans would of liked EQN sooner than later, but LM made sense as it was SOE's way of letting fans help as many studios are doing now in some form.

Not sure what videos you are talking about that show "Landmark" from 2010. Fanfaire 2010 the few concepts they showed looked very different, so did the few animated renders that are out there if you look hard enough.

From what Dave and crew said, Voxel Farm and the ease of use are what gave them the idea to release Landmark as a stand a lone product. Why not double dip on the same work?

The first draft of using a geometric world was for devs to create EQN.

But again, if you can provide links, I'd appreciate it. Since you want to clarify things =)

I know i started out saying the next iteration of EQ doesn't need to come out now. I go back on my words. This needs to come out soon badly. The more i see Black Desert gameplay the more i think we are destined to see more horrible mmorpgs to come. Please Daybreak, for the love of God release EQN!
    lol
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Wizardry said:
    OP...
    I feel you are thinking in terms of SOE and this is no longer SOE.I can't talk about the guys who actually run the business but i am more than certain the owner knows little of gaming in general and wouldn't care if another EQ came out or not.

I feel they are scurrying to put out a very half ass version of Next to keep money flow.However i feel this is a constant grind with DB,i do not feel they are making enough money to keep the business going beyond another year.SO they will either try to resell the business or just keep rushing out unfinished work in hopes people keep buying it,which is low overhead and high profit %.
    This is what I'm seeing, too.  They are just barely living off a few dry milkings of progression servers and rushed EQ/EQ2 expansions. 

I figure their goal is to get EQNext far enough in development that they can sell it off as a potential project to someone else.

OP:
    Everquest will live on, but as a legacy, not a franchise.  Everquest's future lies in spiritual successors like Pantheon, etc., at this point.
    Allein said:
    Please provide sources.

What are these 1 hype video games you speak of? MMOs? AAA MMOS?

SOE stopped open development/communication after SOE Live 2014. Omeed left and the PR train basically stopped. They never fully addressed the change and replaced what was rather decent communication with Workshops which are pretty poor for this.

What is this other iteration you speak of?

"Everyone" that was waiting for EQN is not calling it vaporware. I'm part of "everyone" and don't call it that.

Fans would of liked EQN sooner than later, but LM made sense as it was SOE's way of letting fans help as many studios are doing now in some form.

Not sure what videos you are talking about that show "Landmark" from 2010. Fanfaire 2010 the few concepts they showed looked very different, so did the few animated renders that are out there if you look hard enough.

From what Dave and crew said, Voxel Farm and the ease of use are what gave them the idea to release Landmark as a stand a lone product. Why not double dip on the same work?

The first draft of using a geometric world was for devs to create EQN.

But again, if you can provide links, I'd appreciate it. Since you want to clarify things =)

Usually, around youtube, A title would have "OFFICIAL" gameplay trailer or cinematic trailer then you would head to website and see the release and payment methods. EQN already showed previews of gameplay twice in SOE live 2013 and 2014. Since they were in open developement. Then they went to closed developement until next year i predict at around SOE live 2016 they would have good news or bad. Im thinking good news. So open, closed then open throughout the process.

Landmark pre-dated voxel farm or the idea of Landmark did. The Tech came after they decided they were going to give the green light for it. numerous sources including DGs word that back in the day Landmark was blocky much more akin to minecraft.

Miguel C.'s Voxel Farm came into being 2011. So im guessing 2010 Landmark was thought up.
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Allein said:

#1 EQN Silence

At this point that is what matters.

Until DBG decides that ignoring fans isn't the best way to do it, we all have no clue what is happening or will.
    Exactly, don't they know that what MMO gamers really want is someone to lie to them about features that will never see the light of day to build hugely unrealistic hype years before release.  DBG is hopelessly out of touch with their player base.
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Usually, around youtube, A title would have "OFFICIAL" gameplay trailer or cinematic trailer then you would head to website and see the release and payment methods. EQN already showed previews of gameplay twice in SOE live 2013 and 2014. Since they were in open developement. Then they went to closed developement until next year i predict at around SOE live 2016 they would have good news or bad. Im thinking good news. So open, closed then open throughout the process.

Landmark pre-dated voxel farm or the idea of Landmark did. The Tech came after they decided they were going to give the green light for it. numerous sources including DGs word that back in the day Landmark was blocky much more akin to minecraft.

Miguel C.'s Voxel Farm came into being 2011. So im guessing 2010 Landmark was thought up.
    You are now excelling yourself. 

Landmark did not precede Voxel Farm, it did not even precede SOE's use of Voxels in the EQ:N project.

Landmark came into being as a result of two factors:
    1. Smedley's comment that we would see a "playable version" or EQ:N "by the end of the year" (not a beta), I believe that was in 2013.
    2. The realization that the internal toolset that was being used to develop 'assets' was fun to use and might make a fun minecraft like game.  (Rosie Rappaport).  Also from 2013.
    Now the EQ:N team realized that they would not release in 2013, or 2014 and when the time came "the year of EQ:N" (2015) was also a false hope.

Your rosie rewriting of history and your ignoring of any negative announcements from DBG/SOE is really becoming very annoying.

Finally SOE Live 2016?   IF there is an event it will be "DBG Live" or some other name (SOE is dead and buried)  and given their gutting of Community Relations I would put the chances of a DBG event (as distinct from them showing up at trade shows) at less then 10%.
  • SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788
    edited December 2015
    Aelious said:
    DMKano said:
    OP - SoE has gone through 3 iterations of EQNEXT before acquisition.

Now we know that Daybreak is going through major feature changes so the 4th iteration is undergoing major issues, the chance of them scrapping and starting from scratch are zero at this point.
    Exactly why I would argue EQN was never actually in development under Daybreak.  Daybreak likely saw the mess EQN development was in (and had been for years) with little to show for all the millions (possibly tens of millions) spent.

When you take into consideration all of the completed racial LM contests (six I think?) they have a lot of entities to work with on top of what they are working on internally. EQN from a mechanical standpoint, in large part, is already complete as Landmark. There is no logical reason why DGC would scrap EQN now, if the team has been working on it this whole time it's pretty far along. I think the AI issues and uncertainly is why they've been so silent. A known unknown will do that in project management.

The second part I disagree with and actually think the opposite. The hype surrounding the EQN/Landmark reveal was huge and the preorders for Landmark proved that. It become known that SoE was shopping itself around at that time because they knew the Sony days were numbered. The buzz surrounding the next EQ iteration I think is what got them the CN deal.

I think CN will allow DGC to finish EQN, intended design or not. Those hoping for a premiere EQ3 should be hoping for EQN to succeed because IMO it's the only way it will become a reality.

You can't be serious. You think EQN is right on track based on Landmark and the hype from literally 2.5 years ago? Have you been living under a rock or something?

Landmark is a dud and likely can't be used for anything; especially not the backbone of an MMO.  It was neat on paper, but wasn't impressive in reality and has since gone into maintenance mode.  Only 52% of Steam users who have downloaded it even gave it a positive review.  EQN has gone completely dark.

It's December 2015 not 2013.  If you look at the state of Landmark/EQN today, you certainly can't point out much positive coming out of Daybreak on either project.
    Sovrath said:

Colombus Nova purchased SOE from Sony.  They were a subsidiary not an independent entity.  So all assets and liabilities belonged to the parent company.  So when CN bought SOE and the studio became Daybreak, those liabilities and assets were reset since Daybreak was a new entity (this included legally for contracts and business).

I'm sure Daybreak knew the status of EQN when they bought SOE; how SOE started over on it twice, spent millions if not tens of millions with nothing to show for it, and how many tens of millions more was needed in funding to complete EQN as announced by SOE in 2013. 

Daybreak bought SOE which included the Everquest franchise.  If you were lining up to sell the Everquest franchise what would you do? You would 'do no harm' to the franchise; and why Everquest Next has gone dark.  You would also satisfy the existing hardcore base; thus content released in late 2015 for both Everquest and Everquest Next.

So they've done what I would argue you would do in anticipation of seeking a buyer for a franchise.

• LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Kiyoris said:
    ste2000 said:
    But talking specifically about graphics.
    They have a good Engine ....

...whcih was completely hacked on day 1 of release

Is there any that aren't hacked on day 1?

I would love to see a new EQ but I don't think we will get it, IF we do at this point I don't think we will be getting anything to our expectations of what a new EQ game SHOULD be. Sad to say because there is always going to be a soft spot for an eq themed game but I just know im going to be let down at this point. :(

edited December 2015
     If you were lining up to sell the Everquest franchise what would you do? You would 'do no harm' to the franchise; and why Everquest Next has gone dark.  You would also satisfy the existing hardcore base; thus content released in late 2015 for both Everquest and Everquest Next.

So they've done what I would argue you would do in anticipation of seeking a buyer for a franchise.

I just don't see how two old games are a great investment. Though in truth it's the name brand that is worth more. However, Any number of companies could have bought Sony Entertainment but they didn't. heck, An asian company bought cryptic in order to take advantage of what they were doing. 

Why not buy a game franchise with huge name recognition?

And though I agree, a company wouldn't want to harm the brand, pumping money into two old games isn't really going to make them any more attractive. The only thing I can think is that they might want to bolster the brand with new exciting games. Well, provided they are capable of making "new exciting games".

Sovrath said:
    Horusra said:
    Sovrath said:

I agree, companies are actually created with the sole purpose of doing that. But what are they going to sell that couldn't have already been bought by another company when Sony wanted to sell this division? Maybe the idea is to buy all of the Intellectual property and then sell it piecemeal for slightly higher but they haven't done so.

What they could be thinking is to buy everything, release EQ Next so that the brand is in a stronger position and THEN sell.

Other than that, anyone with the right amount of money could have purchased what this investment company purchased.
    And if EQN didn't meet hype/expectations, not only would you lose the tens of millions spent completing EQN, the franchise would be damaged as well and drop in value.

So if you wanted to make the most money selling off Everquest you would do what Daybreak is doing; satisfy the base with the existing two MMOs with small investments with large returns, not gambling the tens of millions needed to complete EQN as announced in 2013 in a very competitive and over-saturated MMO market, and doing nothing to damage the franchise (which included going dark on EQN).
    edited December 2015
    Sovrath said:
     If you were lining up to sell the Everquest franchise what would you do? You would 'do no harm' to the franchise; and why Everquest Next has gone dark.  You would also satisfy the existing hardcore base; thus content released in late 2015 for both Everquest and Everquest Next.

I just don't see how two old games are a great investment. Though in truth it's the name brand that is worth more. However, Any number of companies could have bought Sony Entertainment but they didn't. heck, An asian company bought cryptic in order to take advantage of what they were doing. 

Why not buy a game franchise with huge name recognition?

And though I agree, a company wouldn't want to harm the brand, pumping money into two old games isn't really going to make them any more attractive. The only thing I can think is that they might want to bolster the brand with new exciting games. Well, provided they are capable of making "new exciting games".
    Two existing MMOs with rabid and significant hardcore player-bases are a fantastic investment. You don't have to spend much to maintain an existing MMO like that while providing small, periodic content updates (not even full blown expansions).  That has dollar signs written all over it.

Everquest is a big name in the MMO world so not harming the brand while simultaneously satisfying the base is exactly what you do to set up a franchise like Everquest up for sale.

And if EQN didn't meet hype/expectations, not only would you lose the tens of millions spent completing EQN, the franchise would be damaged as well and drop in value.

So if you wanted to make the most money selling off Everquest you would do what Daybreak is doing; satisfy the base with the existing two MMOs with small investments with large returns, not gambling the tens of millions needed to complete EQN as announced in 2013 in a very competitive and over-saturated MMO market, and doing nothing to damage the franchise (which included going dark on EQN).
    Yeah but we don't really know how "large" these returns are. I can't imagine the original EQ has a large playerbase. EQ 2 I can see having more bang for the buck but not huge.

It seems to me that if one really wanted to make money as a goal they wouldn't invest in an old game company with old games.

And keep a team working on a game that they have no intention of releasing. And of course moving people from Landmark to Everquest next.

All they would have to do is let the people go, say that they are going to concentrate on bolstering their current titles and they would save a lot of money and not hurt the franchise one bit other than disappoint some die hard fans.