Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard's Next MMORPG

d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
edited December 2015 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
If Blizzard ever does decide to make another MMORPG, what would you want it to be? How do you think this game would be similar to or different from WoW?

Comments

• TarbloodTarblood Member UncommonPosts: 98
    TBH I don't think they will make another MMORPG. It's not profitable when compared to their recent games.

RAWR

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    If they ever did... probably it would be WoW2. I don't see them working on another MMo ever, and if they did it would be based off their only MMo. Considering titan turned into overwatch, they likely would only play a safe bet instead. 

I suspect the chances of an actual MMO though are very low given how much better a cash grab other games are with far less effort.
  • bone15bone15 Member UncommonPosts: 52
    d_20 said:
    If Blizzard ever does decide to make another MMORPG, what would you want it to be? How do you think this game would be similar to or different from WoW?

• DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    I believe they are already working on a new mmorpg, WoW will not last forever, it has a deadline, it will go f2p sooner or later, but i dont think it will be WoW 2 or World of StarCraft, i think it will be something new, they just werent happy with Titan, but it doesnt mean that they are no longer believe in mmorpgs.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• bone15bone15 Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Daikuru said:
    I believe they are already working on a new mmorpg, WoW will not last forever, it has a deadline, it will go f2p sooner or later, but i dont think it will be WoW 2 or World of StarCraft, i think it will be something new, they just werent happy with Titan, but it doesnt mean that they are no longer believe in mmorpgs.
    lol they stopped Titan.. cause they saw no reason to make a new mmo when wow still makes alot of money
  • DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    Do not think one is in the works. And likely, no plans that way yet either.

But i would like to see someone make a good PVE spacecraft game some day.  Think it will have to be someone like bliz to do one right. Lot of cash to throw at it and do a good one. But again, i doubt this too. Not as big of a market to shoot for.
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Gonna talk about WoS

• TrivanDKTrivanDK Member UncommonPosts: 12
    bone15 said:
    Daikuru said:
    lol they stopped Titan.. cause they saw no reason to make a new mmo when wow still makes alot of money
    Agree Daikuru - the point is that wow wont make them "alot of money" in say 5-6 years - so of course they will be ready with the next one, before that happends - sadly with the kind of money they make at the moment - it could take 5 years ;(
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    After legion is the lowest selling WoW expansion of all time they will try and take a new MMO idea more seriously.
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    edited December 2015
    It seems that Blizzard has their own anaylsis of the market and do not want to compete too much in the MMO sphere. I say this becuase their new FPS could have been a Sci-Fi MMO that was never realized, and also they are spending billions on buying other games instead of making their own and competing for market share.

So, is competing for market share with new MMO products even feasible for large companies like Blizzard that have the experience, and resources, and most importantly the infrastructure with those servers as well?

I played WoW recently, and it was an alright expereince for an old game. I found the combat lacking and the world jsut not pretty enough. Even though I love WoW lore... so, Im thinking their next logical step in the very least is to maintain what they have with WoW 2.0 and take combat to the next level, and even make the progression in their game that more 'cinematic' with VOs. In WoW 2.0, they should have a lot of complex systems in place to make the journey pleasant, and just not waste resources on filler content and side questing that is very simple but side questing that is fun and dynamic. That is 2.0... otherwise, imo, they will do not well.

It seems WoW has to innovate beyond what they market is offering, and even though there are good examples to take from... its not easy to make WoW 2.0 in the right way. Just my personal preference, take all the story of WoW repackage it for WoW 2.0 for the main story, but add a lot of new mechanics to the questing and dynamic side questing, and ofc make the combat more fun... which is very subjective. I played the hunter, and did not find it to be fun enough when compared to the sniper in swtor which allows for weaving of abiltiies (which does not register properly) and movement in their new 4.0 adaptation of class is an example of soemthing I enjoy much more compated to WoW's hunter.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• TroubleHunterTroubleHunter Member UncommonPosts: 70
    World of Hearthstone

Diablocraft 

Starcraft Vanilla

• itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351
    After legion is the lowest selling WoW expansion of all time they will try and take a new MMO idea more seriously.
    Can i borrow that Crystal ball?  Just kidding but serious I mean i understand why this belief is out there. The game is dated an old but to think Legion will sell less then MoP when people were way more pissed off at panda's and all i have heard about legion is how people cant wait to make the new hero class(Demon Hunter? think thats its dont follow wow much now days) is crazy. I will bring a ton of WoW faithfuls back just to see the new class alone. Specially those who enjoy and are familiar with the lore of the game.
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    itbewilly said:
    Can i borrow that Crystal ball?  Just kidding but serious I mean i understand why this belief is out there. The game is dated an old but to think Legion will sell less then MoP when people were way more pissed off at panda's and all i have heard about legion is how people cant wait to make the new hero class(Demon Hunter? think thats its dont follow wow much now days) is crazy. I will bring a ton of WoW faithfuls back just to see the new class alone. Specially those who enjoy and are familiar with the lore of the game.
    Ignore that guy. There is literally no way Legion could possibly be the lowest selling WoW expansion. Not with all the things they're changing(read: fixing), not to mention Demon Hunter hype. People have been wanting Demon Hunter ever since Blizz's first expansion, Burning Crusade.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

edited December 2015
    I wonder if Blizzard still has the creativity to come up with some fresh new ideas. I know they can hire the best and the brightest if they want to. Will they put together a team they believe in and give them creative freedom? Or are they fat and complacent and just looking to keep making the big bucks?

But anyway, if they go with creating something new, I think they could make untold wealth with a b2p launch of any of their franchises for a next gen mmorpg. I think (just an opinion of course) that would be a much better bet than trying to come up with a new property like Titan was to have been.

Can you imagine how much they would make with a World of Starcraft? With action combat? With space ships and space stations? With three factions and perks to get people to play other than Terran? They could probably do so much better than SWTOR or WS with a Sci Fi game.

I would absolutely love to play Protoss.

World of Diablo would be awesome, too. I guess it might be hard to make that a faction-based game.

• fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561
    I think it would be interesting to see them to do a low fantasy medieval style ip. A game that has a less structured character path than wow and emphasis more on player interaction and gameplay in the open world around you. 
  • Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Blizzard's next MMO is ..... never going to happen :D 
  • MouzziMouzzi Member CommonPosts: 8
    edited December 2015
    Im certainly sure that they are trying to make a game for each type of games, like WOW is for RPG, Diablo series is for ARPG, HotS is for DOTA kind, HS is card game etc, now we even have a FPS game - OW. 
    So I dont think they would ever make another RPG, if it HAS to be one, then it could only be WOW2.
    edited December 2015
    They probably need a property where they can make the game kind of cutesy to sell pets, etc. in the cash shop. How would a Protoss cute pet look? How could they make World of Diablo cute?   They wouldn't want to alienate current and former WoW players.
    Post edited by d_20 on

• Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    I wish they'd make World of Starcraft. But I guess if they ever had to create a new MMO ithey'll do a WoW 2. Blizzard is treading a very conservative path and that would be their safest bet. 
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
  • SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107
    I'd literally cry if their next thing was world of starcraft.
    i know It's similar to the warcraft RTS's but i just have 0 interest in the starcraft setting/universe.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    where is the option of "wow is not making a new MMORPG?"

I don't think they will make one again. MOBAs, shooters, CCG are better investments. 
  • NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    I don't think we will see another in the next 10 years. 
  • thunderclesthundercles Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Some moblie game that has a wow, starcraft, diablo theme.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited December 2015

Made my day OP, World of Something MMOs. :)

Blizzard have already gone for the cheaper buck, so in the next five years we can safely say we will not see a MMO from them. Beyond that who knows?

• DXSinsDXSins Member UncommonPosts: 324
    If they 'were' to make a new one, surely they would re-continue working on Project Titan. 

If Overwatch is profitable/popular and the animated series and comics do really well... its very likely to serve as a base leading into the mmo like warcraft did for wow. Maybe not a full mmorpg, but something more akin to Destiny but on PC too (Project Titan was likely action combat/FPS like anyways, doubt it was tab-target).