Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crowfall | Hunger Dome 2.0 - A Colorful and Dangerous New World | MMORPG

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageCrowfall | Hunger Dome 2.0 - A Colorful and Dangerous New World | MMORPG

The second Crowfall playtest is upon us and the game has seen some significant additions. While the game is still very early in development, in this column, I’ll explain some of the upcoming MMO’s progress from Pre-Alpha 1.0 to Pre-Alpha 1.1.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Panserbjorne39Panserbjorne39 Member UncommonPosts: 142
    The Champion looks like a total copy of FFXIV's Warrior even down to the horn helm. They might want to consider changing it up a little.
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    Panserbjorne39 said:
    The Champion looks like a total copy of FFXIV's Warrior even down to the horn helm. They might want to consider changing it up a little.

I think the champion looks fine, the FFXIV warrior looked badass. It kinda also looks like my GW2 warrior.
  • collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Panserbjorne39 said:

Just because it has a 2h axe and horned helm doesn't make it a copy. You think FFXIV was the first to use a horned helm?
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    I like the "misty twilight" test setting, Champs & hellcats look convincing overall etc. but I just can't "believe" in these zombies - both model and brain / animationWise.

PS As already noted, FFXIV was neither first, nor it has patent rights on brutish semi-giants. Does anybody?
     W...aaagh?
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Looks great, glad crowfall is making things happen so that this genre is still alive in a couple of years.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    I hate horned helmets. Just another way to get yourself killed easier. There's a reason they are mostly a fantasy trope. No Champions for me apparently.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• CharagmaCharagma Member UncommonPosts: 4
    I'm pretty sure those "NPC's" were meant to be "NPCs".
  • GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

For an such early alpha they have begun working quite a few core systems into the game. I hope they can keep up the pace without causing huge problems later.
    One thing I learnt about Coleman is that he is a very good project manager and designer in this regard.

You can bet the core systems are well thought out (and probably well tested) before any 'alpha' release.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106
    During their reddit AMA several people pointed out how this game will fail with its Massively MOBA approach. Their main reason was retention. The developers couldn't satisfy the questions (which were also voted to the top of the AMA) and neglected them. Basically, retention will be an issue as when people see its a lost cause they will just stop playing and wait for the "reset". To counteract this, the developers said they would put in punishments, and try to put a carrot on a stick to keep people going (which they have not thought out). Do they really think punishing players already not wanting to be cannon fodder is a good idea? Pfft.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    It's not a massively MOBA though.  Calling it that is an oversimplification of what their approach is.

What typically happens in other MMORPGs (that have OWPVP conflict) is a guild (who most likely was a guild before the game launched) organizes and plans out a strategy to get a mad dash out in front of everyone (which is fair). This guild will typically dominate and grow and zerg down any competition before they can set up. Players aren't left with much option but to be "GG" fodder, join the zerg, or move on to another game or server.

How is giving a conflict a beginning, end, and restart worse?  Wouldn't those same people who you claim won't be retained quit completely under the typical MMO environment? Artcrafts approach gives people a chance to update strategies and fairly apply them.  It's not a sure thing but IMO it's a great concept.  They just have to find the sweet spot of time.

Honestly what would the alternative be?  Leave the crappy status quo as it is?  These guys are actually looking to create a world balanced for mass conflict. How about let them try before passing judgement yeah?  Unless there are better ideas out there.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    edited December 2015
    madazz said:
    During their reddit AMA several people pointed out how this game will fail with its Massively MOBA approach. Their main reason was retention. The developers couldn't satisfy the questions (which were also voted to the top of the AMA) and neglected them. Basically, retention will be an issue as when people see its a lost cause they will just stop playing and wait for the "reset". To counteract this, the developers said they would put in punishments, and try to put a carrot on a stick to keep people going (which they have not thought out). Do they really think punishing players already not wanting to be cannon fodder is a good idea? Pfft.

@madazz Punishing is a strong word, and Todd was simply frank and honest, which some find annoying Say, remember how much criticism his "You are a bad player and you have to learn how to play" received here and elsewhere. Devs are not speaking that way to us.

They are always putting this or that in and tweaking the game design in order to influence player's behavior in desired way, the only difference being that 99% of them won't be as frank and transparent as Todd, they won't even mention carrot and a stick (and - god forbid! - "punishment"), but the process remains exactly the same.

That is, we are talking semantics here. The word itself is irrelevant, what matters is will they manage to set their parameters so that early quitting doesn't happen all the time.

Also, I'm with @FlyByknight and his "Unless there are better ideas out there". I'd be genuinely happy to hear some =)
     W...aaagh?
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Not really sure about the character model
    I wasn't expecting that.

I mean, it looks great, but when I read Crowfall FAQs and then I look at that character, in my mind I picture  2 different games.

• JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 488
    Panserbjorne39 said:

lol ...
  • umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519
    edited December 2015
    Guys, this is such a rip of the Final Fantasy XIV Warrior, which was a rip of my Orc Warrior in WoW, which was a rip of my Ogre Warrior in Everquest which was a rip of my 2-Handed Axe Warrior in Diablo, which was a rip off of Moggurt, my AD&D Fighter...

Moral of the story: Only Moggurt is cool. MOGGURT SMASH! 
  • CoolWatersCoolWaters Member UncommonPosts: 104
    edited December 2015
    madazz said:

Anyone who played Shadowbane already knows the answer to that question. Yes, when some people lose they will quit the campaign. And then they will join another campaign. That's the design. Hope springs eternal, alliances shift, numbers wax and wane. It's genius in my opinion. The numerous rulesets to choose from make it even better.
    If you enjoyed even the idea of Shadowbane, don't miss this one.
  • GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Since you're able to choose your own level of risk and reward by selecting which campaigns to participate in I don't see it as a problem. If you don't like full loot free for all player versus player don't play on Dregs.
    Ahh yes, now I remember why I drifted away from this project.  It was this.

The problem will be that gamers will say they want high risk... but almost everyone will end up on 'Dregs'.

Some of the supposed 'hardcore PvPers' are the worst at this.

What they say> I will fight!  I will never give in!  I love hardcore PvP!  You are a carebear!  You can't take it! I can!

What they do> run away.  whimper.  hide in the beginner(safe) zones.  rage quit.  cry "overpowered!" on the forum.  cry "NERF" on the forum.  fade away and unsub. 

Coleman is a great designer - but you cannot force people to play the way you think they should.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    It seems like a lot of progress was made and they've already got something that's fun to play out there, so that's great.

However, the success of the project will be in the meat&bones of their realm gameplay and crafting. Hopefully it will all add up.

Still, hopeful for this now.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!