Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The most attractice feature you look for in an MMO

Comments

• carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Situational Skill System
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Mendel said:
    I'm looking for an 'other' option.  Not found.

The first thing I notice about any system is how far (if at all) the game veers from the basic combat and crafting grind to offer me something new and different.  If it falls in the 'nothing new' (and most do) category, I might stick with it a few months.

Here it is:
    [X] Other
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

Open world seamless gameworld

First person view

High Fantasy setting

PVP but no looting

Skill based leveling, you use it it levels

No trash loot everything is related to crafting, combine lower tier mats to high tier, mobs can drop gold, in game gold is the only currency available

No gear as quest rewards everything in game is 100% player crafted

Mobs don't drop gear just mats to make items

No cash shop

Non F2P

Castle building (rebuilding) of existing foundations

Castles are siegeable and destroyable back to foundation, must be defended

Housing is non instanced

Okay I admit it, its Darkfall without full loot, then there would be decent PvP and a healthly population

• DimmizerDimmizer Member UncommonPosts: 18
    All games are going to look pretty for the most part especially the newer ones and they all have a crafting system n such etc..

The problem I find with games and have struggled to find since playing EVE Online is the open world PVP with NO protection systems in place. Even in the most secure places of EVE you can still be killed unless ur in a station of course..

I love how combat in EVE actually has a risk vs reward.. If you die you lose your ship and maybe even your pod vs while you can do the same to others and if you kill them then well you get all their fancy loot :D and I love that EVE has a real world economy which not many games have...

I want a REASON to play a game not just play because I can or because it's fun. Most MMO's these days have some sort of Honor System and like WoW or ArcheAge for example you gain honor but barley even lose it unless you're dieing constantly but even then you kill someone and you gain more than you'll ever lose like it doesn't really make THAT much of a difference I feel and so its like a pointless mechanic.. its a cool idea but really whats the point? you don't lose really any at all maybe 5-10 at the most but you get 20-24 for killing someone.

idk what the ratios are for WoW but I'm sure they are worse.

PvE is cool and I get there are a lot of PvE peeps out there which is cool it's always nice to have a balance but I feel like most MMO's these days cadre towards the people who are more PvE focused and I don't feel that's right because then the game isn't truly balanced.

It's like that saying you hear a lot in a relationship.. If you can't be yourself and just be who you really are then you're faking the whole thing.

Well I say to the game developers stop being fakes and produce / develop a real game that has both sides PvE & PvP... Have the raids or dungeons etc.. and open world questing n such for those who want it but then give the PvPers what they want and they'll have an amazing game.

Those who reply to my reply saying well they can't have the best of both worlds..

I say they can... they just have to figure out how to implement it. If there's a will there is a way. Another thing I feel is developers don't necessarily listen to their community as much as they should. I know it can be hard sometimes because they will have a reaction from 1 side of players and 1 from another that concerns a specific game mechanic or something..

perfect example is the recent change to not being able to attack players who are farming on their land in ArcheAge..  the developers just made the change over night pretty much and then have decided to stick with it because the general consensus of the community agreed with the change but ofc the pvp community doesn't like it.. and that's not fair to just rule out an entire side of people and take the side of the others.

I feel like the change shouldn't of ever been implemented in the 1st place. TRION has said they will keep an eye on the topic to see if it changes later on but i doubt it. honestly if TRION really cared they'd just revert back to the way it was. The games been out for awhile now and ever since launch you were always able to attack people randomly while they were in the middle of tending to their land/farms etc..

Just doesn't make sense why they'd change it now.

but yeah that's my struggle atm with gaming.. Need to find a game besides EVE where I can do pretty much what ever I want and when I want as well as having some sort of risk involved like losing my shit to someone else. It gives the game meaning.
  • ZendaiZendai Member UncommonPosts: 115
    RPG's for me require a good story. How the story is delivered, either through text or cinematic, can be a factor. I particularly like how SWTOR, ESO, and TSW tend to progress their stories through in-game cut scenes and conversations that feel more engaging than, read this quest log and continue. 

The combat has to be fun and engaging. In particular, I enjoy SWTOR in its mastery of CD abilities, there doesn't seem to be a break in the combat and rotation. Mobs are larger and it feels more epic to me to slay a group of 5-10 npc's rather than just 1-3 at a time. At the same time I do enjoy the action oriented and resource restricted style of combat incorporated by ESO and TSW, making the combat feel a little more natural and organic. There's merits to both I think.

In game systems that encourage simple, easy to follow, harder to master progression systems tend to interest me. SWTOR has a gear progression system that allows me flexibility in my look but also has a clear cut path on how to progress your gear that even novices can figure out. However, to attain the BiS, you need to run challenging content and know where to attain certain enhancements to progress the characters to optimal spec. This take much longer and requires much more skill and dedication, rewarding those that do it. TSW also has a pretty organic gear progression system that has many things similar to SWTOR that I really like. ESO gear progression is a little more dependent on RNG drops than strategic gear progression, but then crafting has a bit more impact, making it even out a bit. 

There needs to be a good balance between group and solo content, since I often don't have the time or flexibility to group up, but then I need to do the harder content when I do have the time. Again, SWTOR fits this nicely that any of the story progression mainly hinges on my character being the mover and shaper of the galaxy, but at the same time has many group options where it incorporates and includes the other shapers and movers, and requires them to finish the content. TSW also does this well in that even different factions can tackle the PVE content, but it is still very solo-able when the need arises.

I tend to gravitate to the structure and systems of theme-park MMORPG's, but I do enjoy the "write-your-own-story" type of MMORPG's similar to ESO. That is my only example though, since I really haven't played another open-world esque RPG that I liked. No, I did not like SWG.

I love PvP, I tend to enjoy objective based PvP a bit more than kill count, but I can do both. Don't care much for open-world PvP however, since most open world PvPers are just assholes that pick on lower characters than them, just to ruin their questing experience. If you find that statement offensive, STOP TROLLING THE NEWBS ASS HOLE! (imagine Jim Carey giving legal advice to a repeat customer in Liar Liar.)
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    Not one of those features.  Strong player interaction mechanics and design around socialization.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• nerovergilnerovergil Member UncommonPosts: 680
    edited December 2015
    character creation and pvp and a lot more, but this 2 is most important for me and lacking in any AAA mmorpg i play like gw2 (lack character), teso( lack character ), archeage (lack pvp)
  • IwayloIwaylo Member UncommonPosts: 174
    edited December 2015
    too much options in that pool man thefuq.  
    Voted pvp arena altho i could vote for hardcore pvp aswell or end game, sounds like the same shit to me.  
    Anyway to elaborate on my vote. I look in the game to offer decent end game PvP that sustains over time (doesn't get dull after a while) Arenas are usually what makes end game pvp not dull for long period. I could literally never stop playing wow if it didnt switch to shit expansions and be playing arenas foreva in the best expansions (tbc,wotlk).
  • GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    edited December 2015
    DrDread74 said:

I'm fascinated that "Exploration" is a popular thing.

MMOs should give XP just for visiting new areas and you can revisit after some time for less and less XP. You should be able to level up just by exploring. Whether your time is spent killing mobs or running around shouldn't make a difference right?

You can even have certain classes like rangers or scouts that get more XP for exploring, or even better, exploring while having one in your group gives a bonus to everyone. Scouts would gladly show other players around new areas =)

Exploration as a game feature was a big selling point to me when I bought GW2 and played it at Launch. I quit GW2 because I did not enjoy it's class system with no real trinity gameplay, but it's exploration was awesome in my opinion. Exploration was a huge reason why I played EvE Online for years. Exploration is a huge reason I play LotRO in addition to it being Tolkien's Middle Earth.

Exploration is why I play MMORPG almost exclusively and not MOBAs or RTS's or FPS's... I'm definitely not a Killer, I'm not much of an Achiever because I never thought it was cool to brag, and now that I'm older and more jaded not as much of a Socializers either... I'm an Explorer in MMORPGs. As MMORPGs have become more linear, more instanced, smaller, less "full", the less that "Virtual World" is a part of MMOs the less I find enjoyment in the Genre.
  • dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    [X] Gameplay Depth

<3

• svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277
    I'd say an actual open world... though I can think of very few that come to mind which have this. MMORPGs were always supposed to sort of be the go-to genre for a huge, expansive world. Yet, recently we got Witcher 3, Fallout 4, and MGSV which all blow any MMORPG's "open world," out of the water. So I guess I'm not expecting much these days from MMOs...

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

• LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548
    goboygo said:

Open world seamless gameworld: Agree

First person view: Prefer 3rd

High Fantasy setting: Setting doesn't matter to me

PVP but no looting: Needs some sort of penalty, but tend to agree.

Skill based leveling, you use it it levels: Agree

No trash loot everything is related to crafting, combine lower tier mats to high tier, mobs can drop gold, in game gold is the only currency available: Sounds good

No gear as quest rewards everything in game is 100% player crafted: I can go either way on this.  Basically SWG style so I do like it.

Mobs don't drop gear just mats to make items: Like above

No cash shop: Agree

Non F2P: Agree

Castle building (rebuilding) of existing foundations: Agree

Castles are siegeable and destroyable back to foundation, must be defended: Agree

Housing is non instanced: Agree

Okay I admit it, its Darkfall without full loot, then there would be decent PvP and a healthly population

I'll piggyback off this thought.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606
    1. All content is teamable, dont force me to play solo. Make solo content scaleable for teaming like SWToR, even better.
    2. Trinity class system (I know its gone)
    3. Class freedom, loved Rift class system. 1 class, many rolls
    4. Everything optional, hate being forced to do something. If there is part of the game I dont like, forcing me to play it dose not keep me playing. 
    5. In depth crafting system. One where crafters make best in slot for some items slots. 
    6. Slow leveling
    7. Dungeons starting at low levels that give great reward to make people want to work together. 
  • TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Graphics might catch my eye first; however,  without a good engaging gameplay there is no game.  A balanced class system,  meaning a need for each class... not just a different name to them.  A good pvp system or concept with OWPvP.  Lastly will it last,  what is the endgame,  how  will it progress with your character. 

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    It's always customization for me. I will put up with the blandest crap if I can be a special snowflake while I do it. Seriously.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    svandy said:
    I'd say an actual open world... though I can think of very few that come to mind which have this. MMORPGs were always supposed to sort of be the go-to genre for a huge, expansive world. Yet, recently we got Witcher 3, Fallout 4, and MGSV which all blow any MMORPG's "open world," out of the water. So I guess I'm not expecting much these days from MMOs...
    You have the wrong expectation. MMOs are no longer about huge expansive persistent worlds. They are online games with progression, e-sports, and a thousand other play styles. 
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Kiyoris said:
    The graphics. If I see a good engine or refined looks, I know the game has a large budget and enough developers to support it. Not always true, but in general.

Yep, and not only that, I enjoy games for the artistic aspect as much as the gameplay aspect. So I won't waste my time looking at a game that is ugly, no point in doing so no matter how engaging the gameplay is. Not only that but I probably will not be engaged even if the game is good if the art is atrocious. League of Legends is the perfect example, everyone raves about the gameplay, and while it's ok, I can't play it because it's way too outdated. In-game it looks like shite. and only one map for the most part.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    svandy said:
    You have the wrong expectation. MMOs are no longer about huge expansive persistent worlds. They are online games with progression, e-sports, and a thousand other play styles. 
    Ah but we're talking MMORPGs here, he used the term twice, but of course you latched on to his 3rd abbreviation in order to derail the thread to your favorite dead horse topic.

As a reminder, its what are your favorite features?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Third person view. I can't stand first person. 

Good housing (no hooks). I don't mind having to zone with this because I can't stand walking through urban wastelands of empty houses that haven't been used in months. 

Good crafting that matters, including gear. No game should EVER have gear that is better from pvp and raiding than from crafting. At most, it should be the same. Not a single game currently has good crafting. Most of it is click and done. An example of good crafting would be SWG but even that doesn't go far enough. We should have the ability to level through crafting and experimentation. I should be able to have a true farm or a ranch, or anything I should desire with crafting. It should be as varied and possible as it is in real life, including having the players submit new designs to the devs to have them included in the game. Within reason of course, the designs need to match the style of game. 

Huge explorable world with few loading screens.

No cash shop or f2p. Once it goes this direction, the devs get lazy and they stop bothering trying to create to their best abilities and start handing out just more raiding and pvp zones as though it's actual content instead of just a time waster. Plus actual expansions become far fewer and far more time in between. It also brings out the kiddies who feel it's their job to make everyone miserable. 

I can't stand pvp. It would be fine if people weren't such jerks about it but too many people use it just to make others miserable.

I could care less about combat as it's always just been a means to an end for me. 

Content should have both solo and group options. If you don't want to group or can't find a group, you should NEVER be forced into it. 

More than just classes that kill. There is no reason we can't have crafting classes, and entertainment classes like in SWG. 

Customization. In everything. If I have a shirt I want my toon to wear, then I should be able to take that shirt and add a doublet, change the color, etc. 
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    edited December 2015
    Hard to decide on the "most attractive one". One feature was never enough to keep me in a MMORPG (only type of MMO I'm interested in playing).

In general, the following conditions needs to be achieved for me to be interested in a MMORPG: an immersive seamless open world with role-playing gameplay*, limited instant travel and no forced PvP. It also need to be online with a lots of players of course.

If the game doesn't have PvE servers and force PvP on you, I'm not even going to bother with it. I play games that call themselves MMORPG with small maps and full of instant travel, but I call those lobby-games and not MMORPGs...

*features that support or enforce role-playing gameplay like: 
    factions systems,
     deep character customization,
    reputation systems that affect NPCs disposition (not just a bar to get reward at certain levels),
    choice&consequences,
     in-game language your character can learn,
     music instruments,
     housing,
    etc.
  • TroubleHunterTroubleHunter Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Open world, no instances in every corner like FFXIV 
  • HeronnHeronn Member UncommonPosts: 39
    It's the culmination of all these facets that make a good mmo lol, to be honest endgame for me is sort of in the back of my mind regardless. All good games must have a proper beginning, middle and end. Unfortunately, just like in chess you have people focusing on good openers, so it's like the same with games and *philosophy of life* I suppose lol. It doesn't mean its story that matters, on the contrary an mmo does not need to be a visual novel and is a lot worse if it actually is by usage of common sense.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Kyleran said:

As a reminder, its what are your favorite features?

I already said that earlier in the thread ... good combat gameplay, of course.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    What a surprise, exploration is a thing dominating the poll, but good exploration pretty much goes hand in hand with a dangerous world and hidden points of interest scattered off the beaten path. Hence the reason why most games have weak exploration.

• mmo.buzzmmo.buzz Member CommonPosts: 5
    Freedom