Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zenimax ripping off customers in ESO?

AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
Since ESO was launched it's come in two editions, the normal and the imperial edition. They've always offered an upgrade to the imperial edition for those that want it. Nothing unusual there, pretty much all games do this stuff.

It turns out though that now, if you buy the account upgrade, it only works on the server you bought it on and not your account. So you have to buy it separately for each server. They don't tell you this when you buy it, the game lists it as an account upgrade that gives you "all the perks of the imperial edition", when it obviously doesn't.

There's a thread over here: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en-GB/discussion/232691

Comments

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Hmmmm............if that's the case it sucks.
    I hope they didn't do it on purpose, that would be pretty lame.

• AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    ste2000 said:
    Hmmmm............if that's the case it sucks.
    I hope they didn't do it on purpose, that would be pretty lame.
    My first thought was that it must be an oversight, but looking at the CS responses, it's deliberate.
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    well that sucks. they should fix that soon

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    Hopefully this is just an unforeseen consequence of putting the upgrade in the crown store, rather than the out of game online store.
    edited November 2015
    Baitness said:
    Hopefully this is just an unforeseen consequence of putting the upgrade in the crown store, rather than the out of game online store.
    It is a consequence I expect, as the same applies to DLC. The problem is they're aware of it, but still selling it as an account upgrade (which it isn't) at full price and claiming it gives you the same benefits (which it doesn't). If you buy the imperial edition to begin with, you don't have any problems as you do get the real account upgrade there.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Well your accusation is a little wacky here dude.  Its like complaining that you cannot play your xbox games on the playstation or pc.  Well you just cant and that's how life is. 
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    filmoret said:
    Well your accusation is a little wacky here dude.  Its like complaining that you cannot play your xbox games on the playstation or pc.  Well you just cant and that's how life is. 
    No, I believe it's either bound to the US server or the Euro server, not both. Nothing to do with the console servers.

• carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425
    filmoret said:
    I don't think you read the OP or you didn't comprehend what you have read.
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    I look at it this way if you buy the game from their web site and or other store it is account wide. Being it is 20 dollars extra if you buy the game from the store then if you buy from crown store it should only be 10 dollars for only that server. So to the OP question yes they are ripping people off. 
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    Nope, it was mentioned before it went into F2P mode. That purchased items would be for the server you purchased them on (so if on the EU then it would be EUserver only, if on US then US server only). So you had to make sure you was on the right server.

If you did buy the collectors edition BEFORE it went into F2P mode and made your account then that would have covered both servers (as long as you had a character on it).

But yes, if you like to play on both servers (EU and US) then it will cost you twice as much, and that i dont agree with either, it should be account based.

However my friend, the information was given on this before it went into F2P mode, on the main ESO website.

Nope, it was mentioned before it went into F2P mode. That purchased items would be for the server you purchased them on (so if on the EU then it would be EUserver only, if on US then US server only). So you had to make sure you was on the right server.

If you did buy the collectors edition BEFORE it went into F2P mode and made your account then that would have covered both servers (as long as you had a character on it).

But yes, if you like to play on both servers (EU and US) then it will cost you twice as much, and that i dont agree with either, it should be account based.

However my friend, the information was given on this before it went into F2P mode, on the main ESO website.

It doesn't really matter if they've said it or not in other places, it's about how they are selling it now to the people buying it. There's nothing in the store that tells you this, and when you look at the item it tells you you're getting everything that the Imperial edition gives, but the imperial edition isn't server bound.

If they made it clear, I'd say it was a bad deal and they were money grabbing. But when they tell you you're getting one thing, and find you've only got half, I think it's more than that.
  • nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Dude you are posting this same thing on ESO forums lol, this has been a stated thing since before the crown store and b2p, Imperial Edition only applies to one server... and its the same for ALL crown store purchases, no one is getting ripped off this has been known for anyone who paid attention for the last year and a half.
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    edited November 2015
    Dude you are posting this same thing on ESO forums lol, this has been a stated thing since before the crown store and b2p, Imperial Edition only applies to one server... and its the same for ALL crown store purchases, no one is getting ripped off this has been known for anyone who paid attention for the last year and a half.
    stating it before doesn't help those buying it now. All they have to do is put, "This upgrade only applies to the server you are on", doesn't matter were else it's posted it should be clearly stated on the page people are buying the product from.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    carotid said:
    filmoret said:
    Yea I did.  The EU version and the NA version are separate games.  Just like the xbox and playstation.  There really is no reason whatsoever to play on both EU and NA versions since the accounts are separate anyways.  You don't want to follow the guidelines and play the game in your country and want some extra cake to eat with it as well.  Sorry you should play the game where you belong not somewhere else there is no reason like I said before.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    filmoret said:
    carotid said:
    filmoret said:
    Yea I did.  The EU version and the NA version are separate games.  Just like the xbox and playstation.  There really is no reason whatsoever to play on both EU and NA versions since the accounts are separate anyways.  You don't want to follow the guidelines and play the game in your country and want some extra cake to eat with it as well.  Sorry you should play the game where you belong not somewhere else there is no reason like I said before.
    Umm, they're not. You buy the game (normal or imperial) you can play on both servers. You have one account for two servers, it's not hard to understand.
  • CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523
    edited November 2015
    Yes, like it matters with ONE HUGE MEGA SERVER.

It's not like PvP player will all of a sudden want to play on PvE servers and the opposite.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited November 2015
    Yeah. They haven't quite got the hang of what should be account wide and what should be server only since they switched to B2P and Crown store and launched the console version.

Even those who got the console transfer for $20 (including the console version of the game) had the Imperial edition and explorer pack entitlement transferred to the console.

They should have kept the Imp edition, explorer pack and DLC sales account wide as well. To add to the confusion, if you buy a DLC outright, it''s only for the one megaserver. But if you get use of all DLCs without paying by virtue of being subbed, that happens account wide because subs apply to both the US and EU megaserver.

They should just get their heads out of their ass and realize that there wouldn't be a hell of a lot of people who play in both the EU and US servers anyway (especially not with the other idiotic requirement that has been with us since launch of needing to have another 40+ GB of the identical game files to do so.) The impact on potential sales would be tiny and they'd get a huge boost on good will to boot. 
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Wow, just wow.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618
    I have to agree, something like that should be account wide. 
    Also, who gives a rodents donkey if something was stated in the forums. If a statement on the packaging or store page for an item says it has something it doesn't, then it's wrong and needs to be corrected. Otherwise it's a hairy customer service issue, and possible fraud based in false advertising. (ianal)
    What's so hard to understand about that?

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    barasawa said:
    I have to agree, something like that should be account wide. 
    Also, who gives a rodents donkey if something was stated in the forums. If a statement on the packaging or store page for an item says it has something it doesn't, then it's wrong and needs to be corrected. Otherwise it's a hairy customer service issue, and possible fraud based in false advertising. (ianal)
    What's so hard to understand about that?

Oh, so you the buyer gets to decide what the seller is selling you? 
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Spankster77Spankster77 Member UncommonPosts: 487
    These are the type of issue you run into in everyones beloved free to play/buy to play games. 
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Don't really see as they are doing anything wrong, there are effectively 2 servers, one for NA and one for EU, if people wish to play on both then thats up to them, but if they want stuff unlocked on both, then it stands to reason they will have to pay extra for that, if the game wasn't B2P i could understand people having an issue with it, but as it stands, i think they are entitled to treat the servers as seperate entities. Zenimax would have really been within their rights to limit accounts to one server or the other, or even region locking them, they didn't, which is imo something they didn't have to give away, and they should be applauded for that, instead of the complaints because unlocks on one regions server doesn't also unlock the same thing on a different regions server for free.
    Whether or not people get to play on both servers isn't the issue. All editions of the game now and always have let you play on both servers, as you have one account for full access to the game, regardless of servers. Previously if you bought the upgrade, it did upgrade your account. Now, it doesn't, but they still sell it as doing that. That is the problem as I see it, apart from the fact that now for people who do want to switch servers or play on both, they're having to buy it twice.
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    filmoret said:
    carotid said:
    filmoret said:
    Yea I did.  The EU version and the NA version are separate games.  Just like the xbox and playstation.  There really is no reason whatsoever to play on both EU and NA versions since the accounts are separate anyways.  You don't want to follow the guidelines and play the game in your country and want some extra cake to eat with it as well.  Sorry you should play the game where you belong not somewhere else there is no reason like I said before