Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I bit and bought

GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
I took advantage of the BF sale and bought the Imp Edition. (Not sure why though, I'll probably roll a Breton Conjurer) Anyway, I bought it last night and after several hangs and restarts, it finally downloaded overnight. I installed it this morning and let the updater run. I was pretty excited to log in but found the server's currently offline for maintenance.........LOL, just my luck I guess.

Any advice for someone who's never seen ESO before?

Addons? No Addons?
I'm a huge Mod fan for Skyrim, Oblivion, FONV, DAO, etc but that may or may not mean I want Addons. I hate DPS meters for example.
But if there are any good ones, which should I look at as an ESO Virgin?

What is a good class/race to role to start with? I used a modded conjuration tree in Skyrim and to some extent oblivion too a lot. 2 of my favorite play styles revolved around conjuration.

Skyrim, for example, I would use mods that increased the efficiency of Bound Weapons and rolled with what I called an "Arcane Assassin" using a Bound Bow and Bound Daggers with Stealth. Is this viable in ESO?

Another Play style I love comes from a mod I created for myself that gives me the ability to summon an increasing number conjured souls simultaneously that will increase based on the number of unspent dragon souls. (Which I unfortunately accidentally deleted....DOH!)

Oblivion, I used mods that gave me arcane arrows.

So my 1st choice would be something like my Skyrim Arcane Assasin, the next would be the summoned pet mastermind type.

Can i do this or am I reaching for something that doesn't exist?

Comments

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

http://www.esoui.com/addons.php

definitely want skyshards, lorebooks, maybe harvestmap

combat cloud will give you floating combat numbers if you want them.   Also very many inventory mods I haven't tried them myself.

Are you onto something or just on something?
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    I think you're in for a big surprise if you think you have the kind of freedom to build that you had in offline ES games.  Don't set yourself up for disappointment in that regard, go in with the knowledge that it's still an mmo even if it is ES.  Conjuration basically= summoner/pet class for instance.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited November 2015
    I think you're in for a big surprise if you think you have the kind of freedom to build that you had in offline ES games.  Don't set yourself up for disappointment in that regard, go in with the knowledge that it's still an mmo even if it is ES.  Conjuration basically= summoner/pet class for instance.
    I've played enough MMOs to know these are pretty standardized builds. With that said, Are there bound weapons? Is there a class that uses them primarily? If so, are they even viable? In Skyrim, for example, strictly from Vanilla, bound weapons suck except for free soul trapping and not worrying about ammo. 

If not, then I guess it's fine, Is there a stealthy archer class? And how good are conjurers as a pet class?

I'm leaning towards that last one anyway...Assuming it's good

I've played enough MMOs to know these are pretty standardized builds. With that said, Are there bound weapons? Is there a class that uses them primarily? If so, are they even viable? In Skyrim, for example, strictly from Vanilla, bound weapons suck except for free soul trapping and not worrying about ammo. 

If not, then I guess it's fine, Is there a stealthy archer class? And how good are conjurers as a pet class?

No bound weapons, and I haven't played in a while but based on previous experience summons were pretty awful.  Nightblades can use a bow and are of the sneaky-stabby sort but they're a hybrid class for sure.  Their big attacks are melee range onry, so they're cool imo but like you (I think) I was looking for a sneaky shooty not a sneaky stabby. 

No bound weapons, and I haven't played in a while but based on previous experience summons were pretty awful.  Nightblades can use a bow and are of the sneaky-stabby sort but they're a hybrid class for sure.  Their big attacks are melee range onry, so they're cool imo but like you (I think) I was looking for a sneaky shooty not a sneaky stabby. 
    LOL, yes.....sneaky-shooty is accurate.
    Any class can use any weapon so if you want then the Sorcerer can sneak and use a bow while his summoned creatures are trying to attack.  There is a ton of class freedom in this game.  Or you can give him a 2h weapon and swing wildly with it.
    Thanks, I guess I'l try out with a Nightblade and go from there
    filmoret said:
    Any class can use any weapon so if you want then the Sorcerer can sneak and use a bow while his summoned creatures are trying to attack.  There is a ton of class freedom in this game.  Or you can give him a 2h weapon and swing wildly with it.

Sure, if you like being gimp.
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    filmoret said:

Gimped for what? Sorcerer with bow or 2H can easily hold their own in PvE/PvP.

• ErdaErda Member UncommonPosts: 211
    edited November 2015
    I really like Master Merchant for selling within my guilds.  I find the game AH design very clunky and frustrating to use.  MM takes the frustration out of selling for me.   The skyshard addon is very helpful.  If you like fishing, make sure you get the rare fisher tracker.  Really helps in tracking what you need in each zone.  I probably need to look at some additional addons at some point but the three I just listed have been helpful for me.

Keep your mind open.  This is my second time in the game and I found things much improved from my initial experience.  I like taking my time, reading the quest dialogues and just exploring.   The devs seem pretty committed to giving us content so I see myself in the game for sometime.   I am just finishing the original zones and have yet to see the new stuff.   If you need invites to some good trading guilds, send me a tell to Florial in game and I can hook you up (PC-NA).
    immodium said:
    filmoret said:

Gimped for what? Sorcerer with bow or 2H can easily hold their own in PvE/PvP.

Last time I was playing nobody wanted a sorc for ANYthing.  Sure, you can make them work....but passable and truly viable are very different things.  There was literally nothing a sorc could do that another class couldn't do better.
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Minion has a good download client for ESO add-ons.  http://minion.gg/

Sorcs are fine.  I'm not sure where the sorc hate came from, but they do pretty well in PvE.  I hardly ever do PvP, so I'm not sure how they do there, but in PvE they are a lot of fun.  Besides, you can equip heavy armor and carry a restoration staff, as the game allows a lot of free thinking.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

OP, not saying don't play it...just saying don't expect to be able to do what you can do in the offline games here.  It seems you understand that, so i'll let that lie. 
    I will leave you with a quote from the subreddit that pretty accurately describes the awkward "freedom" of builds.  It demonstrates the fact that you still have to make "reasonable" builds given the passives and ability trees.

"I started out as a "battle mage" melee sorc. This might be viable but not with light armor. Thing is a couple of the melee skills are taunts and you don't really want to be taunting mobs in light armor. But if you don't wear light armor you lose out on the magika passives. I guess you don't have to use the taunt skills. There probably is a viable build there somewhere but I just gave up and went full sorc. Most of the guys in my guild are nightblades and I gank with them a lot. Before I'd met them I just assumed NBs were weak like everyone said. Let me tell you they're not weak, they seem to do massive burst dps from stealth, and can disappear as good as a vamp if not better. I think they're the second strongest class in pvp, can't really comment on pve. If you like melee consider a NB. "

GRRR...
    Frustration.
    I let the installer run overnight. Which I had to start 3 times yesterday. I had been pleasantly surprised when I woke up this morning to see it had fully DL'd. So I installed it and the Launcher had to run updates. This is normal. I expected this.

So I did that. Only now that the server is online again, it's telling me it can't get the manifest number and I need to repair......Come on!

OP, not saying don't play it...just saying don't expect to be able to do what you can do in the offline games here.  It seems you understand that, so i'll let that lie. 
    I will leave you with a quote from the subreddit that pretty accurately describes the awkward "freedom" of builds.  It demonstrates the fact that you still have to make "reasonable" builds given the passives and ability trees.

"I started out as a "battle mage" melee sorc. This might be viable but not with light armor. Thing is a couple of the melee skills are taunts and you don't really want to be taunting mobs in light armor. But if you don't wear light armor you lose out on the magika passives. I guess you don't have to use the taunt skills. There probably is a viable build there somewhere but I just gave up and went full sorc. Most of the guys in my guild are nightblades and I gank with them a lot. Before I'd met them I just assumed NBs were weak like everyone said. Let me tell you they're not weak, they seem to do massive burst dps from stealth, and can disappear as good as a vamp if not better. I think they're the second strongest class in pvp, can't really comment on pve. If you like melee consider a NB. "

EH you realize the quote contradicts your logic?  No not every build will work because like the quote said you need to figure out how.  If every build worked then what is the point?  Then look at the end the quote claims they once thought NB were crappy but realized they were very strong.  I would like to say this is how a lot of people are in ESO.  They at first glance throw their hands in the air and say something sucks without realizing it can work if they could figure out how to do it.  I'm not here to help you learn to play a character but I will say that every class has several ways to play them.  Its easy to say sorc sucks until you run into one who kills you over and over.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

So I did that. Only now that the server is online again, it's telling me it can't get the manifest number and I need to repair......Come on!
    Don't repair. That's an installer message bug. Just exit and restart it and you should be good to go.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:

Don't repair. That's an installer message bug. Just exit and restart it and you should be good to go.
    I already did, and it's done. SO now I have to wait until after work to see.
    Now the hard part.
    Breton Sorc or Bosmer NB?
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Iselin said:

I already did, and it's done. SO now I have to wait until after work to see.
    Now the hard part.
    Breton Sorc or Bosmer NB?
    Breton magicka based Sorc with a fire destruction staff, IMO is easier to play. Might be better to start with that until you get a feel for the game.

In this game, the more skills from a line you have on your bar, the faster that line levels, so...

For a Sorc you'll want to have 2 storm calling skills on his bar so you can unlock the ultimate, Overload, quickly (by level 6 or 7.) Early in the game it's one of the better Ultimates. Morph your familiar to a clanfear when you can so you'll have an "oh shit" self heal by unsummoning him when you need to... otherwise he'll tank one mob pretty well.

From your fire staff you'll want destructive touch or one of its morphs to knock things back that get too close to you.

I'll leave the rest of it for you to discover. But with a knockback, self-heal, tank pet, lightning form shield and Overload you'll start to get a feel for the face melting power of a Sorc.

You also asked earlier about addons. DL Minion addon manager from ESOUI and browse through the most downloaded... that'll give you a feel for what people are using. 
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    When the game first came out they said you play what you like. Heavy armor sorc.......play the way you like. Of course a lot has changed from then but you can pretty much do what you want. Oh once you set Prophet free take the boat and go to the original starting area. Game will be fun for you until you have played it for a while then you will be looking for another game to play. But yeah have fun play your way!
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    GRRR...
    Frustration.
    I let the installer run overnight. Which I had to start 3 times yesterday. I had been pleasantly surprised when I woke up this morning to see it had fully DL'd. So I installed it and the Launcher had to run updates. This is normal. I expected this.

Ignore the repair prompt - its a bug.  You need to close the launcher and restart it.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

I played the sorc to level 6 last night. I am going to try out a few levels of the NB to gauge the class. So far the game has been decent enough. It's pretty standard as far as MMOs go, I can see they tried to capture some for the ES look and feel, but I am not so sure I like all of it in an MMO vs SPRPG.

I did like the Voice Acting. but on the other hand, I don't like the non-mouse reticle lock on the screen. . Not sure this was necessary beyond trying to "feel" like an ES game. I much prefer the mouse clicking on the screen. They should at least give me the option of clicking on my icons to open windows. Maybe there is (like SWG) and I missed that. But if there isn't, I don't see why it's necessary to remove that feature.