Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Legion 'Draw Distance' Improvements Showcased | World of Warcraft | MMORPG.com

ShelassaShelassa MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 616
edited November 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageLegion 'Draw Distance' Improvements Showcased | World of Warcraft | MMORPG.com

An alpha tester for World of Warcraft: Legion has posted several cool screenshots to show off the promised increase in the draw distance that players will experience with the expansion's launch. Screens include locations in the live game and in Legion. The difference is stunning. See for yourself in our example, then head to Kastel197's original Reddit post and Imgur page to see the rest.

Read the full story here

Comments

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    very nice! time to go back and pay a visit once legion release

RIP Orc Choppa

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Impressive draw distance that they achieved with the ol' game. The tower looking thing on the right is actually two zones away -- and on the other side of that zone to boot.
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Awesome! That is something i've always wanted since I first played WoW back in BC.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    I thought WoW had a pretty good draw distance to begin with... they are getting some crazy views in the screenshots. Getting those crazy distances in a game with seamless zones is awesome.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Hopefully they will do something for the tedious and repetitive gameplay as well..........particularly the endgame.
    Blizzard we need more Vanilla

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    edited November 2015
    Couldn't you already do just the same with a console command?
    There were a few commands with which you could improve some graphics value to beyond what the menu slider did. I think draw distance was once of these settings.
    Post edited by BillMurphy on

• Hashcow101Hashcow101 Member UncommonPosts: 105
    This is actually nothing new you have been able to increase draw distance with console commands for a long time now the only thing diffrent is blizzard making the command line value higher if you simple look up wow graphic console commands vis google you can find this.

"May Your Head Explode And Blood Swell From The Wound"
    - Hashcow

• TemperHSTemperHS Member UncommonPosts: 72
    edited November 2015
    Hashcow101 said:
    This is actually nothing new you have been able to increase draw distance with console commands for a long time now the only thing diffrent is blizzard making the command line value higher if you simple look up wow graphic console commands vis google you can find this.

Holy run on sentence Batman! Try using a period or comma every now and then.
  • GarfrostGarfrost Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Hashcow101 said:

Except they are now also officially supporting it, unlike before.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    TemperHS said:
    Hashcow101 said:

Holy run on sentence Batman! Try using a period or comma every now and then.

Grammar N*zi detected.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    edited November 2015
    ste2000 said:
    Hopefully they will do something for the tedious and repetitive gameplay as well..........particularly the endgame.
    Blizzard we need more Vanilla

Did you even play Vanilla WoW I wonder?

When you reached level 60 in Vanilla WoW it was either running endless dungeons for gear (with terrible RNG) or dedicate yourself to one of the insane Faction Reputation grinds of that time. /shrug
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Deyirn said:
    The WoW engine is primitive and based on WC3 engine, but it can do a lot more if Blizzard bothered to improve it - Bloom, HDR, Motion Blur, even more distance drawing, they can do that, but they are lazy ass mofos who just release crap for kids to jizz in their pants.
    Jealous whatever you play or played could not even get a pants movement from the masses?
  • heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    edited November 2015
    They're also adding a new texture quality setting at the top end. I can't remember if it is "Ultra" or what they are calling it.

Point is, pretty dang good for a 11+ year old engine. They've done really well updating the engine as the years have gone on, adding the 64 bit client, etc. but all the while supporting the low-end machines too.

It's just smart business - not at all surprising coming from Blizzard.
  • AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    I doubt this is the same as the console commands, as there have been updates already to the engine that makes some of those commands obsolete. Upping the draw distance to the maximum at the moment only shows you fogged stuff in other zones, not detailed like this.
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    Increasing draw distance helps little when the game looks like crap..

Simply put their engine sucks. Just because it's an MMO, that doesn't mean graphics are supposed to look this bad. There are plenty of MMOs which are 5+ years graphically ahead of the most recent expansion WoD for example.

If this is one of the "features" of Legion I really feel bad for them. It's about on the same level as the "Updated Character Models" from WoD, which got updated from 2004 models to look like 2007 lol.
  • AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Old engine isn't the same as crap.

I like WoW's artwork, it's extremely consistent and they've done wonders with the limitations of an old engine. There's more to graphics than texture resolution. Performance is also much better than many other more recent MMOs.
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    Athisar said:
    Old engine isn't the same as crap.

I like WoW's artwork, it's extremely consistent and they've done wonders with the limitations of an old engine. There's more to graphics than texture resolution. Performance is also much better than many other more recent MMOs.
    Oh you can be sure they've upgraded their engine plenty of times. There were no limitations to WoW's budget, Blizzard got over the last 10 years like 20 billion revenue out of it. Such a lackluster outdated engine is only a wonder it's still working in 2015.

Seriously though there are plenty of way better looking Cartoony games today..However there is only so much you can graphically enhance them to make a difference..While I just can't bring myself to play cartoony games anymore (I prefer more serious RPGs today), I understand some people still prefer it over the realistic style.

Though there is still nothing to really praise WoW about when it comes down to Graphics. Even the performance is not as great as you're saying it is. Performance in Raids on Ultra simply sucks, which is not acceptable considering how low-textured everything is. As for other World Content I don't think any MMO has problems with the performance there.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Horusra said:

Deyirn said:
    The WoW engine is primitive and based on WC3 engine, but it can do a lot more if Blizzard bothered to improve it - Bloom, HDR, Motion Blur, even more distance drawing, they can do that, but they are lazy ass mofos who just release crap for kids to jizz in their pants.

Jealous whatever you play or played could not even get a pants movement from the masses?

Despite his hars words, he is right though.

You might be playing a game that lacks severly of patches and content, where the engine was outdated at release, where you cannot die when leveling,....and yet, when they give you a long awaited patch where you only get a koala bear with glasses to cuddle and does absolutely nothing except following you (only $20) -hoooow cute!- you fall for the obvious horse-carrot trick.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"