Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

'Another 50,000 Citizens' to be Added to Alpha 2.0 | Star Citizen | MMORPG.com

ShelassaShelassa MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 616
edited November 2015 in News & Features Discussion

image'Another 50,000 Citizens' to be Added to Alpha 2.0 | Star Citizen | MMORPG.com

The latest Star Citizen Weekly Development Update has been posted to the game's official site with the exciting news that 50,000 more 'Citizens' will soon be added to Alpha 2.0 to continue to assist the team with bug squashing and to, as the letter states, take part in "emergent gameplay" as evidenced on YouTube and Twitch.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,514
    Great news..for all the whales out there

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 757
    Got into this last group of invites, lol.
    Can't seem to get into the servers though, ahh well, not like I didn't expect that.
    Good luck to anyone else waiting for an invite.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Judging from the recent videos, I dont think I would try it right now if I got an invite. The current build looks like a bug-filled mess. Before the white knights jump in and say "It's alpha, its supposed to have bugs". I'm not saying I hate it or its bad, just that I personally would rather play a workable game than CS in its current state.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    watching the streamers its pretty underwhelming
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Well if nothing else, the recent controversy seems to have given them a good swift kick in the ass in terms of development and actually letting people see and play what they've got so far instead of pre-recorded demo footage. I'm not convinced it's not going to crash and burn yet, though. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• Jonnyp2Jonnyp2 Member UncommonPosts: 243
    Solar_Prophet said:
    Well if nothing else, the recent controversy seems to have given them a good swift kick in the ass in terms of development and actually letting people see and play what they've got so far instead of pre-recorded demo footage. I'm not convinced it's not going to crash and burn yet, though. 

I'm convinced it will, as much as I want it to succeed. I don't care for the game at all, but I feel that if Star Citizen folds it will have a very negative effect on the genre.
  • pingopingo Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Solar_Prophet said:

Causation=correlation?
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    rodarin said:
    I think its quite interesting what the player streamers come up with ... i saw some pretty funny scenes in the last days. "Thou shall not open thy cockpit while a missile hits you !" ;-) Stability has improved in the last days. It is NOT fully stable yet, especially with the +50 k more testers since yesterday. Those who expect a finished game will be disappointed. Those who want to help giving feedback and sending in bug reports will have a good time.

Have fun
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    edited November 2015
    Erillion said:
    rodarin said:
    I think its quite interesting what the player streamers come up with ... i saw some pretty funny scenes in the last days. "Thou shall not open thy cockpit while a missile hits you !" ;-) Stability has improved in the last days. It is NOT fully stable yet, especially with the +50 k more testers since yesterday. Those who expect a finished game will be disappointed. Those who want to help giving feedback and sending in bug reports will have a good time.

Have fun
    I think most complainers are dissatisfied with the "lack" of progress.

For example, I have not poured any money into this game -yet-, although I am really into this game as far as the goal is concerned.
    I do not like instanced battles though, I like open worlds.

But I signed up for the newsletter and forums years ago, and all I received were "buy this ship, buy that ship" spam in my mailbox for months.

When watching SC Twitch streamers (all 5 of them), all I see is the same boring race circuit and the same boring instanced battle. What's more to come soon?
    The image this game has now is that they ar elike 5-6y away from any release, and there's no further progression shown on the game whatsoever.

Maybe unless you dig into their dev blogs deep. But who does read all the 100+ pages blogs these days?

There probably is more content already developed -probably not ready to be shown yet-, but the same thing shown on twitch for many months now and the annoying cash shop mail spam (mail filter ftw) made this company recieve much bad press.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Talonsin said:
    Judging from the recent videos, I dont think I would try it right now if I got an invite. The current build looks like a bug-filled mess. Before the white knights jump in and say "It's alpha, its supposed to have bugs". I'm not saying I hate it or its bad, just that I personally would rather play a workable game than CS in its current state.
    I don't think the point of this should be getting early access to something playable.  It should be to help test and find bugs, but nobody cares much about that anymore. This is something that seems to have long been forgotten, with all the selling of founder's packs and such.

It wasn't that long ago when you had to fill out an application to test a game and hope you were chosen.  And I remember feeling a sense of pride in contributing to developing a game.  Now it's a marketing tool to hype and sell access mostly.  Too bad, because I think developers are hurting themselves by diminishing the quality of feedback they're getting.  I guess it's a tradeoff they're willing to make to generate cash.
    Nicely said DirtyDozen.

Not that it hasn't been said before though... I wonder when Devs will finally acknowledge that it is correct?

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    I think it's bull crap because I was a KS backer back from the get go in '13 and still haven't gotten an invite.  So pardon me if I don't believe their BS.

I have been in a bunch of Alpha's and Beta's.  My FAVORITE was Matrix Online.  That community was great.  Then they changed EVERYTHING at launch and lost pretty much everyone.  Shame.  

But still... would be nice if they'd let their supporters from way back in.. because honestly I'm becoming very pessimistic over the entire affair.
  • jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Here's a word to ponder.... "scale"  Think of that in terms of say a small indie company that puts out a space sim and wants you to look at their alpha build.  You would probably cut them a lot of slack.

Now consider the behemoth that is CIG, the massive cash that has been given to them, the amount of employees and resources at their disposal... Still want to cut them a lot of slack?

To each his own...

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    jonp200 said:
    Here's a word to ponder.... "scale"  ...

Scale indeed. This is another 50,000. It is becoming a big test.

And - as I said in the first thread - this is a very public test. The least opportunity to say the game "doesn't exist" "will crash and burn" would have been pounced on. And I don't see that having happened.

Whether is will deliver everything promised in the time frames talked about - different questions. For now though I think we are seeing a toddler standing up and - precariously - getting its balance.

And it isn't just server stability that is being tested. Account management, logins, character handling - a host of "trivia" that we are not interested in .... except when the trivial little details don't work!
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Erillion said:
    rodarin said:
    .... Those who expect a finished game will be disappointed....

Have fun

That statement will probably be true for quite a long time.  

Now if they can just keep Roberts selling ships instead of gumming up the actual work...

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    whats the recent controversy?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

edited November 2015
    Muke said:

When watching SC Twitch streamers (all 5 of them),
    You will find a link for 50+ SC Twitch streamers in the SC subsection of this forum.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/133119/star-citizen-streamers-list

And that was when only 1000 players did test Alpha 2.0

There should be many more streamers now with 66.000 testers.

Have fun

Post edited by Erillion on
  • MtomMtom Member UncommonPosts: 24
    I only had time to log in once since the invite, and the little time i spent was breathtaking. Lately i just watched the news once a week, but this few minutes were enough to light my enthusiasm again.
    Those who havent tried it you cannot imagine, the videos only reflect part of it.
    The first minutes after spawning, the station sometimes shake as ships take of, you hear them roar (yeah i know space, but is cool), then you look out the window and realize the station is huge...and i mean huge...then you ask your ship ang go to the landing pad, and suddenly you are on the outer surface of this vast thing. You see others taking off. Ships fly above you....and if you want you can step off the platform to the black void, and fly around in your spacesuit.
    It's just stunning. No other way to say it.
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Erillion said:

Muke said:

When watching SC Twitch streamers (all 5 of them),

You will find a link for 50+ SC Twitch streamers in the SC subsection of this forum.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/133119/star-citizen-streamers-list

And that was when only 1000 players did test Alpha 2.0

There should be many more streamers now with 66.000 testers.

Have fun

Its usually one person with 90% of the viewers (around 1k), then 8 more streamers with about 0 to 25 streamers. And every time I check in its always the same, the few streamers looking at a loading screen or walking in the hangar.
  • PsyckedPsycked Member UncommonPosts: 100
    edited November 2015
    Yea... sooo... aren't there still plans for two games? One being Squadron 42, which this alpha is for, and then the mmo game? This thing has changed and morphed into so many things I've completely given up even wanting to follow it.

I am the Cannon Fodder God

• itsoveritsover Member UncommonPosts: 353
    I usually dont rely to any post, or I read much or know much about this game, all I know is the title, BUT few week ago, one night I have a dream about this game. I was in space and in another world. its so weir that now I look up and start to watch old video.

Psycked said:
    Yea... sooo... aren't there still plans for two games? One being Squadron 42, which this alpha is for, and then the mmo game? This thing has changed and morphed into so many things I've completely given up even wanting to follow it.
    There are still plans for two games:
    a) solo player game  (Squadron 42)
    b) instanced multiplayer game (Persistent Universe)

The solo game (SQ42) will be launched first. The PU follows after SQ42.

The current Alpha 2.0 is a small sub-set of the PU  (system Stanton, planet Crusader). The basic game mechanics (space combat, FPS, ship boarding etc.) being tested in Alpha 2.0 also applies to Squadron 42.

The plan to create two games is the same since start of Kickstarter - this has neither changed nor morphed.

Have fun
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    From 1000 to 50k you realize this is unbelievable right? In such a short time they created a server to handle all 50k players. Funny you would think watching streams we would see all kind of players flying around.  This is really hard to believe, wonder how you can prove they actually are running a server that can hold this many players. Then we would have to ask how much are they paying to run and store these servers? The even more laughable part about 50k in the pre pre alpha playing online is normally for any game the server farm is always built and run once the game is completed and ready for release. 

Just saying!
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    edited November 2015
    Wait... 50,000 more Players invited to Alpha to test?....  this might actually Launch?? If this is true then it is welcome news.

Don't get me wrong... I personally still think SC is the second coming of Nimrod and his tower of Babylon scheme... however regardless of my personal feelings I am glad for the sake of the Players about this news. Very Good for the Players that have supported it.
  • ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 757
    Brenics said:
    From 1000 to 50k you realize this is unbelievable right? In such a short time they created a server to handle all 50k players. Funny you would think watching streams we would see all kind of players flying around.  This is really hard to believe, wonder how you can prove they actually are running a server that can hold this many players. Then we would have to ask how much are they paying to run and store these servers? The even more laughable part about 50k in the pre pre alpha playing online is normally for any game the server farm is always built and run once the game is completed and ready for release. 

Just saying!
    1st it is 50k additional testers added to the testing pool that was already the 1k initial invites + the 15k invited. 
    So you are talking about 66k thousand testers. 

2nd 66k thousand testers is not the same thing as 66k concurrent players.

3rd it isn't an MMORPG mate so you aren't going to ever see more than their per server cap of vessels(what is it 16 ships?) and the crews to man them. I can't remember the exact number. 

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Thourne said:
    Brenics said:

Just saying!
    1st it is 50k additional testers added to the testing pool that was already the 1k initial invites + the 15k invited. 
    So you are talking about 66k thousand testers. 

2nd 66k thousand testers is not the same thing as 66k concurrent players.

3rd it isn't an MMORPG mate so you aren't going to ever see more than their per server cap of vessels(what is it 16 ships?) and the crews to man them. I can't remember the exact number. 

Yet they have to build a server farm, even for 1k people. This would be a waste of money for a pre pre alpha. But then to me it looks like all SC does is waste cash. IMHO!
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!