Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hi-Rez Pulls an Ace from its Sleeve | Paladins: Champions of the Realm | MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageHi-Rez Pulls an Ace from its Sleeve | Paladins: Champions of the Realm | MMORPG.com

I'll admit to being more than a little skeptical that another shooter MOBA could be at all what the online gaming world needs. When Hi-Rez announced Paladins somewhat quietly at Gamescom this year, more than a few people here at MMORPG.com rolled their eyes. Then we played it. And we loved it. Find out why in our first impressions past the break.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432
    I thought they said there were going to work on Tribes again, after shafting the entire playerbase.

Guess not..
  • AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    Just watched the Grohk gameplay video. This looks fun. Keeping an eye on it.
  • urbanmechurbanmech Member UncommonPosts: 200
    That looks just awful. The graphics are bland and flat, and the combat is simply slamming your characters into one another and holding down the fire button until someone dies.
  • Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780
    Why pay to play the beta/alpha if its f2p?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    DAOWAce said:
    I thought they said there were going to work on Tribes again, after shafting the entire playerbase.

Guess not..

The playerbase wasn't even that big, there was probably a small community left but nothing worth keeping a consistent development team on. Hi-Rez is known to do this, they shafted over Global Agenda players too when they didn't update it ever again when they launched Tribes. Basically they follow whatever game is going to make them money at the time. But even so they are still coming out with the update for Tribes, I'm pretty sure they said it was soon too.
  • Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    edited November 2015
    I'm not buying this after I got to try it thanks to a friend... it's just another shooter MOBA, only worse graphics, fewer champions, one game mode and two maps, which leaves it in far worse position than its competition.

It feels like this article is trying to sell an inferior product as something great only because it felt "good to play it", but I'd wager most of that comes from our innate necessity to look favourably upon the less favoured, especially when competing against giants like Overwatch or Battleborn. Which are the games anyone would realistically try if they really want to get into the shooting MOBA genre.

Nice thing to give this Paladins a little push, but the game is lackluster and dull at best, and with only 7-8 champions it's rather uninteresting and gets old quickly. You never get to play the champion you want as people quickly instalock the one champion that is most fun to play, and even then you'll find the opposing team is a nearly identical copy of yours due to the lack of choice.

It's beta, yes, but how about we evaluate what we're actually seeing rather than what we might see in the best case scenario?

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited November 2015
    Looks just like Overwatch.

edit- Only 7 Heroes? Overwatch has 21 I think, and it cold use 21 more. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Nooo not another 8ct crayola cartoon.
  • BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    I expect this will be better than Overwatch, as HiRez has been showing they know how to make enjoyable shooters for awhile now. I bet they will run into serious balance issues though, as they did in Tribes and Global Agenda, where one or two classes were flat out superior to the rest. Balance problems were a large part of what kept those games from getting competitive, so I hope they have learned enough from making Smite to not fall into that trap again.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Moba . . . bah. So tired of them all.
  • khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486
    Great game. Hi-Rez does some really quality work with Smite and now this is following that one.

Anybody that cannot appreciate these games or just judges them by watching a video and not actually trying them is doing a dis-service to the gaming industry. Too many critics nowadays that don't try stuff and that give credit to other big companies when they should be giving it to this kind of developer right here.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

edited November 2015
    Well OverWatch and this game are two different kinds of games. This is more MOBA than TF2. Since it will be free to play I am sure it will have a large following just like SMITE does.
    Have you watched a video? It's the same game as Overwatch.

same game.
  • RykimaruhRykimaruh Member UncommonPosts: 18
    so many people assuming these are the only champions the game is having...they just started. Give it time and they will add more to the roster...jeez. Go to the forums and you will see the many changes they had been doing to the game based on the player's feedback (what's that? they actually listening to the players? hooooolyyy sh**!)
  • Syphin_BSyphin_B Member UncommonPosts: 340
    While it's a great game and has a good hearthstone-ish progression game...there's just not enough champions to keep me interested.

How they released beta with 8 champions is beyond me and i see no new ones on the horizon besides Evie which was in alpha but was taken back to the drawing board for a bit but still that's only 9 heroes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited November 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

bcbully said:
    Well OverWatch and this game are two different kinds of games. This is more MOBA than TF2. Since it will be free to play I am sure it will have a large following just like SMITE does.
    Have you watched a video? It's the same game as Overwatch.

same game.

They are not the same. I have played them and they are very different. Overwatch is TF2 3.0. Paladins is more simple. . Paladins is very much a MOBA. The biggest thing about MOBAs are the waves, the building destructibles, the in-game progression. Be that items and or levels and of course the final destructible building/vault that ends the game. OverWatch does not have this. It is more TF2. Arena styled. They play totally different.
    got a key you want to share?
  • Tykam123Tykam123 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Wow...so the uninformed negative talk begins already... For the record the game will have NUMEROUS Paladins added as the game goes on. I can't remember where exactly I read it on the forums, but they described the beta process as a time where things will be added and evolved quickly while Paladins will be added very frequently. In case people were wondering what the difference between this, overwatch, and battleborn are. Battleborn will be tackling a lot of solo story mode content. I read somewhere that blizzard isn't even sure what the future holds for overwatch. They wanna see what happens. Paladins is immediately catered to a competitive game. Essentially we can expect frequent changes and eventual e sports events. Trust me folks...been doing this for a couple weeks and already SOO many changes, and many based off of feedback. Don't run around saying the game isn't adding anymore Paladins and other false information. No need to scare people off before the games even released.
  • CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523
    Isn't Paladins a free to download game where as Overwatch has some ridiculous price of $60 or more?

Plus Hi-Rez guys are awesome, unlike Blizz.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Cryptor said:
    Isn't Paladins a free to download game where as Overwatch has some ridiculous price of $60 or more?

They are awesome, except for their inability to work on more than one game at a time. So if this game doesn't perform as well as smite did than they will drop it pretty quick and you will see no updates ever again.
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432
    edited November 2015
    Panther2103 said:

Cryptor said:

..except for their inability to work on more than one game at a time. So if this game doesn't perform as well as smite did than they will drop it pretty quick and you will see no updates ever again.

^ This.

And they're total scumbags to boot. Requested a credit or refund for a booster I accidentally activated and they banned my account after doing so.
  • AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    I signed up for the beta a week ago but not had any key, I'll have a look if I get one (certainly not paying for a founder's pack to test a game). Reviews on other sites seem quite a lot more negative - that it's taking good bits from other games and mashing them together in a generic way.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    DAOWAce said:

Guess not..

They are working on it and you will see more of it in january 2016. That is what they said.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.