Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Japanese developer explains why they are forced to Censor in the West.

2»

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Could we please drop the "it's the fault of this or that political faction" garbage?

This isn't a case of "you will go to prison or be fined or whatever if you release this game" censorship.  There are a lot of games that I won't buy and won't play because I don't want to.  It doesn't matter if it's because I find something offensive or boring or what.  If enough people take that view with a particular game, to release it is a commercial failure.

There's also the issue of reputational damage if a game flops badly enough.  I played a couple of Electronic Arts back in the SNES era, and they were so awful that I've been avoiding anything EA gets their hands on ever since.

Also, in before the lock.
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    observer said:
    I have to agree with OP here.  He's posting actual developer comments who are stating their reasons on censorship.  Everyone else is just stating their opinion.  The fact is, the West has very strict censorship.  The ESRB and MPAA are great examples for the US, and other nations also have their own system.

I also find it funny that people are trying dismiss his points because he has an agenda.  Well, so does the other side, and their agenda is censorship by means of government instead of letting consumers decide.
    There is no claim of cencorship in the developer statement. They have just figured out that releasing the product is not worth the hassle on the western market. Thats really all it says.

This whole censorship thing is in your heads.
  • AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    edited November 2015
    This is essentially one big political rant thread on multiple counts and is inappropriate for this forum.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.