Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did Site font change?

IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
I noticed today, reading one of @BillMurphy 's articles that the font on it had seemingly changed.  It looked so strange, so I looked at a second.

Did you guys recently change the font because whatever this one is literally makes my eyes swim trying to read more than a paragraph or two.

The only thing I've done recently was add the Star Wars App to chrome so it changes some stuff but that shouldn't have messed with the site/article font.

I mean seriously it hurts my eyes.

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    I was thinking the same thing.  Getting a headache reading it.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    It did. Evan and Ben are tweaking CSS while we wait for the new site to be completed. 

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

It did. Evan and Ben are tweaking CSS while we wait for the new site to be completed. 
    Not everyone is under 40 here and smaller fonts are harder to read.  Remember, people often start needing reading glasses when they are in their 40s.

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

These are bigger fonts...? That's actually why they did it, to make things easier to read, they're larger now. @skywisenight and @meddle can confirm.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    heh, I was thinking that they seemed too large.
    These are bigger fonts...? That's actually why they did it, to make things easier to read, they're larger now. @skywisenight and @meddle can confirm.

I got a headache today reading this site.

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,515
    To be honest- I have not noticed a single ting- and I am on this site 24/7 it is my starter page at my gaming rig at home- ipad. and work computer. screw the font..its all about  great content :) gg wp <3

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    @Mensur ;You can say screw the font all you want in favor of great content..... but if attempting to READ the great content makes you feel nauseous (which is does to me) then the font is just a wee bit important.

It is bigger but the width of the lettering seems... I dunno... stretched.  It's just.... not good with the gray/black background.  @skywisenight and @Meddle can hopefully help.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    I'm experiencing an issue on my phone which I posted in the Issues forum which I believe is related to these new fonts, especially if this change occurred in the past 4-5 days

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

@MikeB @BillMurphy @skywisenight @Meddle ;

Do we have an update on this?  Seriously, these articles are unreadable.  I can't get through the first paragraph of @MikeB 's Star Wars article.

Could you at least give US some control over the font because I seriously can't read the articles without getting nauseous?  I know it SOUNDS funny.. but having your stomach lurch after T-Day dinner isn't cool.
    We've got Evan on it. He'll be taking a look. We want it bigger, so we'll just have to mess with the CSS a bit more to find the sweet spot.

My Review Manifesto

@Ikeda, do you read the articles with glasses on, in particular  trifocals?  I do and notice that I have to read the articles through the lowest magnification, (bottom) , if I read them through the mid range glass I experience the same challenge in trying to keep focus and the text appears to swim in front of me.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

@Kyleran I do wear glasses but for near sightedness.  When I read the computer I read over them.  The problem is I tried between my laptop and my desktop.  I was hoping for some sort of midway point.  I kinda hoped playing with refresh or gamma on my screen would fix it and it didn't.  So my only hope at this point is to have it changed.  But what you describe is exactly what is going on.. the text kinda swims and wiggles.

I don't notice the issue on the forum though.  That's why I'm hoping I could personally adjust the font.  I get other people like something bigger but for me its absolutely miserable.
    Ikeda said:
    @Kyleran I do wear glasses but for near sightedness.  When I read the computer I read over them.  The problem is I tried between my laptop and my desktop.  I was hoping for some sort of midway point.  I kinda hoped playing with refresh or gamma on my screen would fix it and it didn't.  So my only hope at this point is to have it changed.  But what you describe is exactly what is going on.. the text kinda swims and wiggles.

I don't notice the issue on the forum though.  That's why I'm hoping I could personally adjust the font.  I get other people like something bigger but for me its absolutely miserable.
    I wear glasses for nearsightedness as well, but I'm in worse shape, I can only read over my glasses at a range of about 8 inches, so I have to use the minimum correction level when sitting at normal range, and even then it's a bit weird, as my eyes appear to be fighting to adjust to the text, and hence the issue.

Also, no issue with the regular forums, only the articles.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited November 2015
    Most browsers have the ability to change the default font size. In Chrome it's in the Advanced Settings > Web Content section

I'm near sighted with astigmatism and wear multi-focal glasses.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
    Grunty said:
    Most browsers have the ability to change the default font size. In Chrome it's in the Advanced Settings > Web Content section

Yes, they do.  That is beside the point.

waynejr2 said:
    Grunty said:

Just trying to help. I'm used to things not being in complete focus.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
    Grunty said:
    waynejr2 said:
    Grunty said:

How can you work like that?  I have to be able to read my screens and being out of focus gives so much eye strain.

edited November 2015
    waynejr2 said:
    Grunty said:
    waynejr2 said:
    Grunty said:

How can you work like that?  I have to be able to read my screens and being out of focus gives so much eye strain.
    I've been living with astigmatism since I was about ten years old. I've had 50 years of practice. I've gotten used to not attempting to sharply focus in on everything.  Astigmatism causes multiple focus points. With single focus lenses it can mostly be corrected. Bi-focal, tri-focal and multi-focal lenses? Not so much. It's like looking through slightly dirty lenses. 

My left eye is more near-sighted than my right. Correction causes what I see in my left eye to appear to be closer than my right eye.

I can usually find a physical distance where things come into good focus. I prefer to read documents, books, newspapers without my glasses because I can move the document to a good focal point. Monitors don't move that easily. 

LASIK surgery could correct most of my vision problems. My income doesn't permit it.

Edit.
    Computer Vision Syndrome (CVS) could also come into play. That can be improved by using occupation specific correction. But it probably won't improve your issues with any specific website issues.  http://www.allaboutvision.com/cvs/computer_glasses.htm
    Post edited by Grunty on
    @BillMurphy @MikeB @skywisenight @Meddle ;

Seriously guys, we have this thread, you ask for people's input/suggestions and quite honestly it sucks.  I'm not the only one affected.

So what happens?  You guys change the FRONT PAGE LAYOUT to the same headache inducing font.

Are you kidding me?

This site, thanks to the font, has zero use.  I can't read the articles, I now can't read the forums list.  Why not just go for the triple crown and edit the font in the actual forums so that makes my head go swoon-y too? 
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    I wouldn't go as far as saying "this site has no use", and i don't get headaches or anything (so far), but it's really irritating and doesn't look good. I also do not really see the need, given how this site was not exactly using any special or spacing that made it more difficult to use compared to other websites. And given how computer games and MMOs specifically tend to use *smaller* fonts and spacing..

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 629
    Thought my screen resolution changed to 800x600...
    but then realized the 'problem' wasn't my monitor!
    Anireth said:
    I wouldn't go as far as saying "this site has no use", and i don't get headaches or anything (so far), but it's really irritating and doesn't look good. 
    Ok, so I used a bit of hyperbole but instead of listening they just went ahead and made the issue worse.  It's not that it isn't useful, but it makes it very difficult to read to the point where I don't linger for long.
    Evan and Ben are still tweaking. And they're reading feedback, so keep it coming.  And @Ikeda, we're listening. Hang in there.

My Review Manifesto

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Am I the only one who actually likes the new font?   Bigger and easier to read.