Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Legion Information Overload - Too Much of a Good Thing?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2015 in News & Features Discussion

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Personally I think it's great that much is getting known about this particular game/expansion. WoD really sucked, and I ended up cancelling all my 5 multiboxer accounts. All the coverage about Legion has made it pretty clear it's not an expansion for me, saving me the cost of 5 copies for my mbox team. Therefore, a huge thank you to all who have provided the details.
  • ArtheariusArthearius Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Netspook said:
    Personally I think it's great that much is getting known about this particular game/expansion. WoD really sucked, and I ended up cancelling all my 5 multiboxer accounts. All the coverage about Legion has made it pretty clear it's not an expansion for me, saving me the cost of 5 copies for my mbox team. Therefore, a huge thank you to all who have provided the details.

Which would actually be a point against Blizz doing something like this. However beneficial it is to you.

The one thing that bothers me is that there is no options to play at all. I can do my best to ignore information as it comes out but that means shelving WoW until release now. Which, again, is counter-productive for Blizz.

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Wow is not a game that spoiler has alot of meaning. The lore is deep, but with wow story and gameplay, spoiler is not part of the game. It's not like a single player rpg, where you will uniquely experience the story. Spoiler can ruin a single player rpg. Wow ... that's not why people play wow, the lore is great, but people mostly play to grind out achievements, collectables, gear, and pvp. The strory and lore is just there to get you amped up and the influx of information we have been enamored with has worked. I don't know about you all but it works on me, it makes me appreciate all the small details that go into wow and it makes me want to continue to be a part of it all.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    story spoilers hurt , but is unavoidable with datamining

however i love learning about new skills / talents / tiers / design of zones , weapons , gear and what not...

the reality is that wow players are hungry of content...that info about legion will feed wow players for a while!
  • junglebeastjunglebeast Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Lore is great and all. But in WoW you kill certain lore characters over and over in dungeons, raids etc. So it's nice to tell a story in WoW, but after that it remains a game I enjoy with my guildies/friends.

You know when you play too much MMO's when your partners pants have become a rare drop.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited November 2015
    Transparency is a good idea. It allows them to get additional feedback from observers and plan adjustments accordingly. Rather then get feedback from a few and have to perhaps make big changes when it hits the masses, just let the masses share their feelings now.

ESO is sharing what they plan to do with elimination of the Vet system in advance instead of just saying here it is, and dealing with the possible fallout as an afterthought. SWTOR could have avoided the forum wars if they had done the same with the changes to the companion system in advance, imo. GW2 HoT could have used some transparency also. Feedback doesn't have to be a bad thing.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Something tells me that all this hype for an expansion over a year away from release means damage control by Blizzard in regards to their current problem with hemorrhaging subscription numbers.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    They already know they wont get the lost sub numbers back for the time being, so they focus more time on the expansion. Do I support the idea? Not really since they had already admitted 1-2 years ago that they already had several WoW expansions in the works after WoD. Also, they just admitted on Bill's interview at Blizzcon that the WoW team has grown, so honestly they could manage their teams better to at least kick out something quarterly until the expansion rather than one thing probably 2-3 months before Legion's launch. I know September is only a placeholder date, but they could do much between now and even June. There's a lot of changes, sure, but they also said that before with WoD and that fell flatter than MoP. I still dont feel the relic system will be all that great as they think it will, especially if it just turns into legendaries, being great for the current content and worthless in the following. "Awesome I got THE DOOMHAMMER! But why is this uncommon or rare I got in the newer expansion dungeon better?"
  • JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430
    edited November 2015
    never cared about spoilers. if a single piece of information can break an experience, then it wasn't really worth it in the first place.
  • Phixion13Phixion13 Member UncommonPosts: 190
    After MoP and WoD, I have more hope on Wildstar getting it together.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Addons/guides will be available before the expansion hits. Everyone has max level in 1 week, doing mythic raids and have them completed in no time.

Then they start whining about "why do we have to wait soooooo long till the next content patch, Blizzard? We are sooooooooooooooooo bored!'

Jeez. Never expected that. :S

Then again: WoW is a arcade 'mmo'; there is really not any difficulty since Cataclysm as you can smash through multiple higher level mobs and not lose 5% health in any given fight.

So yeah, might as well sell out and give all information before it all launches.
    They will buy it anyway.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Vorthanion said:
    Something tells me that all this hype for an expansion over a year away from release means damage control by Blizzard in regards to their current problem with hemorrhaging subscription numbers.

It's less than a year away, but yeah it's all they have to try to hold on to current players.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    This has happened for every patch and every expansion starting with Cataclysm. It may be hard for you as a games journalist to avoid spoilers, but the average player probably doesn't visit gaming blogs and sites like MMO-Champion as frequently.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    If the content was any good, then it wouldn't matter how much it was spoiled.

Unfortunately, it seems like yet again the content is not any good from Blizzard.
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 913
    Wow is dead..its been dead for ages...only zombiez play that game now

• PissedjediPissedjedi Member UncommonPosts: 31
    I am going to disagree and agree with the article. When I played classic I knew nothing about what occurred before it. Everything was new and the game was full of suprising stuff. A great sense of exploration. When I played Bc I didn't read up anything on it and for most it was fresh same for Wrath of the lich king. It was all new. Having a game that 99% of all the secret stuff is revealed before its released just kills that sense of wonder. And that is one of the reasons why Legion will not save wow.
  • seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419
    I agree with Pissedjedi here on the subject. When you know nothing about a game or a xpac it is way better because you have the element of surprise still intact when you start playing and discovering stuff, it is what games are all about.

What made WoW this popular was the fact that we could discover new stuff and it is also what made the lore so good. But since a few xpac now they give way too much info to there players base.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    I just resubbed to WoD for the 4th time just to level my alts to 100.

I no longer expect great things from this game but just treat it like a mellow time passer similar to D3.

Log in and play for short spurts doing what I feel like doing then log out to go play other games.

Legion looks ok and will prob pre-order sometime with or without spoilers/info b/c that stuff doesn't really bother me.
  • MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    If they continue with this, by the time it launches it will already be boring.
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    I'm not a fan of analyzing and playing an expansion before it even releases. I never understood spending every waking moment of the PTR and figuring everything out half a year before launch.

I like to go in fresh.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    If blizzard enforced NDA like some other company that recently released expansion, they would have a shitstorm on their official forums. Let's face it, WoW has always been a "level up to raid" game, despite all of the spoilers, players don't mind as long as they have raid content in the end of leveling.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• nesteanestea Member UncommonPosts: 30
    I know this is something that is out of place in a bitch-fest about WoW...

But the game IS good. and If they did a expansion that did >nothing but content< It'd be amazing. You don't have to increase the level cap, just add in some amazingly epic stories/cutscenes and some new zones to expand the universe we already love. For fucks sake we're ALREADY AT 100!
  • NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    edited November 2015
    nestea said:
    I know this is something that is out of place in a bitch-fest about WoW...

But the game IS good. and If they did a expansion that did >nothing but content< It'd be amazing. You don't have to increase the level cap, just add in some amazingly epic stories/cutscenes and some new zones to expand the universe we already love. For fucks sake we're ALREADY AT 100!

No.

Epic stories/cutscenes takes time to develop, and we'll rush through it in few days. Meaning, it's not enough to waste so much time on so little.

Whatever the level cap is, 100 or 500, doesn't mean much, when we can reach it within a few days. Therefore, increasing it doesn't have much of an impact.

Edit: proper quoting doesn't seem to work... :/
  • SchmotzSchmotz Member CommonPosts: 2
    people have a choice to see spoilers or not no one forces them to read them or watch videos. if someone does and then complains its there own fault
  • nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Transparency is NEVER a bad thing. And I like the action elements to the Demon Hunter but I have a feeling it's going to make the other classes feel bland and slow... kinda like when I play ESO for a couple hours then try to play WoW, it just feels lame :p