Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Overhyped?

vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436
First i thought it was gonna be a FPSMMO, now its a small TF2 / UnrealTournament with trinity mod. Nothing new, its pretty lowpoly and the maps are small and generic. Can someone explain to me why this FPS gets so much hype atm? It looks frantic, unbalanced, repetitive and grindy.

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    It's not unbalanced at all in my opinion and I've been playing it quite a bit. Grindy how? It's a player vs player shooter, you can't have non grindy team based pvp games you either like them or you don't. It's always been announced like a TF2 clone so I don't know where you saw FPSMMO ever. Graphically it looks really nice to me, but that's all up to whether or not you like the art style. The animations are done super well, and the reflections are great. It honestly isn't even getting that much hype. It's just fun to watch so a lot of streamers are playing it. 
  • BanyoHDBanyoHD Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Saw the gameplay trailers and weren't exactly hooked on the promise. Paladins from Hi-Rez appeared more appealing to me at least. But since it's Blizzard it'll likely be a large hit at release. 

When my payday arrives I'll likely pick up a Founder's pack for Paladins for 19.99 $. One of the more reasonable pricings I've seen in a while, although one could argue that Founder's packs are the plague of the MMOs they are likely not going away soon. 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I can see it being fun for a total casual fps player but not to a serious fps player such as myself.
    The maps are weak although not totally rubbish like some fps games,the weapons are mostly pew pew and combat is mostly spam.

I can tell you that one of the earliest top level fps's UT99  "made it to the world cyber games stage" players used to cry foul on spam combat and i mean like every game and it really wasn't nearly as bad as you see now in a game like OW.There is a reason Deck 16 became popular,it is because you could see everyone yet maintain range from spam.As players became more skilled and less whiney,they realized that spam had no place in ut99,it took way more than spamming to get anywhere.

The healing concept in OW does promote team play which i am ok with but the simplicity and ease of it'e mechanic ,i cannot accept.
    Bottom line is i would never take it serious and especially not as an esport.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Wizardy is out so it must be a good game.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    It looks to be a fun FPS, that has a much lower barrier to entry than say CS:GO, it might even coin a new phrase, 'league of legends killer' :p
  • vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436
    but if its to casual for esports, but its to esporty for casuals, who will play the game?
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    What makes a game more esports? I'm ignorant please help me understand.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Can someone explain to me why this FPS gets so much hype atm?
    It's hyped because it's made by Blizzard.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited November 2015
    azarhal said:
    Can someone explain to me why this FPS gets so much hype atm?
    It's hyped because it's made by Blizzard.
    Yeah, exactly.  It's the same reason HOTS got attention even though it's so incredibly bad.

Even I played HOTS for a little while because I got caught in the Blizzard hype tornado.

I finally saw through it in Hearthstone and no more, I say, no more!

Blizzard's reign of tyranny and assimilation of video games must end!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3RNsZvdYZQ

"This is about saving the future of Humanity!  We've made too many comprimises already.  They invade our space, we fall back.  They assimilate entire worlds, and we fall back.  Not again.  The line must be drawn HERE!  THIS FAR, NO FURTHER."

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    1:Can someone explain to me why this FPS gets so much hype atm?

2: It looks frantic, unbalanced, repetitive and grindy.
    1: because Blizzard have a solid rep for making good games with a high level of polish. It is also very vibrant and hints at a interesting lore and characters... It also help that Blizzard can put in to marketing what small countries has for BNP. 

2: Well to be fair you just described 98% of all shooters.. ever.... Especially arena shooters. So for that they seem to be right on the money then =P 

This have been a good conversation

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I don't think a game need anything more than a "Blizzard" sticker to be hyped. And in fairness have Blizzard made quite a few successes during the years so it isn't totally out of the blue.

If it actually is worth the hype is another matter but we can't know that at least until 6 months after release. Initially it will certainly have many players but if it can keep them interested or not is pretty hard to say.

In my case I think Ill skip it, doesn't seems like my type of game.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited November 2015
    Just started today. Got the inv on nov. 3rd   :( didnt see it. All i know is everyone but me is OP and My hero needs a buff. So nerf him, nerf her, nerf that and BUFF me!
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Honestly if I'm going to spend money on a multiplayer shooter, I would be MUCH more likely to spend it on Star Wars: Battlefront.  It looks more in depth from what I've seen on twitch and it's freaking Star Wars- the GOOD star wars (4-6).
  • wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
    For casual players, it's more than fine. For people who care about skill and high skill ceilings, stick to Quake Live, even though id Software essentially ruined that game by lack of promotion and retarded patches.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited November 2015
    SW battlefront is shallow. =/
    Didn't look that way to me.  Tons of gamemodes, including 20v20 (which is really cool), playing as heros/villians, tons of random power ups which change what you can do, weapon progression, switching between shooting on the land and then flying on a ship or driving a walker.

Plus I heard they're going to do a DLC for the new movie coming out.

Not really MOBA gameplay but I don't honestly know how shooters and MOBAs mix yet.  Seems like there's serious balance issues when you try to balance say tanks, healers and dps in a shooter.  In Overwatch specifically it seems to me like mobility is completely out of control.

Plus I'd much rather be able to play as Darth Vader than some random cartoon guy with some character quirks.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107
    It's a blizzard game.. pretty much every blizzard game gets hyped up.
    Give it a while and see if it lasts, lets find out if this goes the way of hearthstone, or the way of heroes of the storm.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    DMKano said:
    It's polished
    It's smooth 
    It's very casual
    It's the same familiar gameplay that brings nothing new to the table
    It's what you'd expect from new Blizzard 

That's my take  on Overwatch so far

It will do quite well
    Of course it will do well, as any Blizzard game will.

But I am sure their star is dimming. This game is even more terrible than others. It looks like boring uninspired take on TF2 in "blizzard style".

And 60$ is terrible price entry point for online only arena shooter ( especially now that you can get better for free )

It is maybe suitable for consoles, but to buy it on PC you have to be real thick.

• RhygarthRhygarth Member UncommonPosts: 259
    BanyoHD said:
    Saw the gameplay trailers and weren't exactly hooked on the promise. Paladins from Hi-Rez appeared more appealing to me at least. But since it's Blizzard it'll likely be a large hit at release. 

When my payday arrives I'll likely pick up a Founder's pack for Paladins for 19.99 $. One of the more reasonable pricings I've seen in a while, although one could argue that Founder's packs are the plague of the MMOs they are likely not going away soon. 
    I am a founder of Paladins in the hope it was going to be fun but i can say after about 5+ ingame hours i want to snap my keyboard in half after playing it,

seriously frustrating game
  • TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605

Possibility it is overhyped; however, the beta will tell all.......and it will to me.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    DMKano said:
    It's polished
    It's smooth 
    It's very casual

It will do quite well

But I am sure their star is dimming. This game is even more terrible than others. It looks like boring uninspired take on TF2 in "blizzard style".

And 60$ is terrible price entry point for online only arena shooter ( especially now that you can get better for free )

It is maybe suitable for consoles, but to buy it on PC you have to be real thick.
    Well then obviously opinions will vary.  I play a lot of shooters, I have played all the CoD games, and HALO titles as well.  I messed with BF, not real into those and I try any new F2P shooter as it is brought to my attention.  I will try this title and I will reserve my opinion of it until I get hands on with it.

However, Any game 'suitable' for console play (speaking to FPS/TPS games here only) will be much better on PC as they are much smoother much faster and far easier to play with Mouse/KB.  I am not sure how you come to your conclusions and I am pretty sure I don't care but I would point out that it makes it seem like you have no idea how shooters games work.

A lot of shooters are going to a faster game.  Especially lobby shooters where TDM tends to be the favorite game (I am playing BO III right now and always over 50% of the pop is in TDM) which relies on speed and of course new gimicks to keep it alive.  BO III went with wall running and a couple other things.

So adding high mobility, and having decent easy to learn maps seems like a win win to me.  As I said above I will hold final judgment (which I am sure matters only to me) until I get hands on with the title.

And finally, on to the point of the thread.  Maybe I have had my head in the sand but I really have not seen much hype at all concerning Overwatch.  Much less than say the recent expansions and free to play conversions that have been plastered all over this site and others.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    DMKano said:
    It's polished
    It's smooth 
    It's very casual

It will do quite well

Well, for PC the entry price point is $40 which doesn't come with any of the other "perks", no WoW pet, no Tracer in HotS, etc. You're stuck with the $60 version as the bare minimum for consoles though.

I wouldn't say the game looks boring or uninspired. After watching tons of streams (one of the few blizzard betas I didn't get an invite to), I would say the game is a modernized version of TF2. The addition of specials and ultimates is a little MOBA-ish, but it does add a level of strategy to the game as Ults can be nullified by the other team and can be game changing when used in clutch situations.

Of course, like all things, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.