Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallout 4 is.... Short

Comments

• TemperHSTemperHS Member UncommonPosts: 72
    edited November 2015
    Nitth said:
    TemperHS said:
    There is nothing short about it.

I'm 50+ hours in (playing on Survival) and haven't even been to Diamond City. You didn't rush? Link your steam profile please.
    Yeah...time means nothing. You can spend hours just hanging out looking at the scenery..

I did every quest i could find trying to get my character to lvl 30 so i can use the X01 power armor and that took me about 20 hrs (which filled in the bulk of the map).

Time means everything, and I certainly don't spend my time ingame "looking at the scenery". There is a lot more to do than what you describe.

Congrats, you blew through the game on normal or hard (which isn't hard at all) and then called it quits. What you've done is the equivalent of buying an ice cream cone, eating the bottom of the cone, tossing the rest away, and complaining about still being hungry.

I've done every quest I could find so far, and I am nowhere near completion, with over 50 hours invested into the game. Many of the top streamers on Twitch have been streaming the game for 8-10 hours a day, every day since release, and are also nowhere near completion.

Do the math.  
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    edited November 2015
    TemperHS said:
    Nitth said:
    TemperHS said:
    There is nothing short about it.

I'm 50+ hours in (playing on Survival) and haven't even been to Diamond City. You didn't rush? Link your steam profile please.
    Yeah...time means nothing. You can spend hours just hanging out looking at the scenery..

I did every quest i could find trying to get my character to lvl 30 so i can use the X01 power armor and that took me about 20 hrs (which filled in the bulk of the map).

Time means everything, and I certainly don't spend my time ingame "looking at the scenery". There is a lot more to do than what you describe.

Congrats, you blew through the game on normal or hard (which isn't hard at all) and then called it quits. What you've done is the equivalent of buying an ice cream cone, eating the bottom of the cone, tossing the rest away, and complaining about still being hungry.

I've done every quest I could find so far, and I am nowhere near completion, with over 50 hours invested into the game. Many of the top streamers on Twitch have been streaming the game for 8-10 hours a day, every day since release, and are also nowhere near completion.

Do the math.  
    huh? I'm still at 93 hours played on my 4th character.

The core game experience is short, filled with bizzy work. However, you can (like i am) artificially extend the games life in many ways.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    You must have rushed the game as I am only level 12 with 20 hours of play and not got to Diamond City yet as been exploring. 

That aside, I'm UK so I paid £40 for the game.  I've so far had £2 per hour of entertainment and given the way it's going, I'll probably have paid something like £0.25 to hour of entertainment.  Seriously, where else can you get entertained for that?
  • mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    35 hours and 58% of achievements.  It's a good job they didn't write the game just for people like you. Rushed!
  • DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Difficulty scaling was crap, one minute you breeze through content without issue and then 5 feet from the content you breezed through you'll run into enemies that'll 2-3 shot you for no apparent reason.
    This is my biggest issue with this game. It's like Witcher 3 all over.

One minute you kill a raider in 2 shots, while on the next location, same raider mob is 10 levels above you and one shots you.

I've never experienced previous Fallout or ES games having "mob level" which prevents you from exploring the map. Something like that should not happen in open world Bethesda games.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    I'm not cut out for these types of games.  I played Skyrim for the main quest and had no interest in all of the side stuff.  That's why I wait to buy them years after release when they're so cheap.
  • Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    edited November 2015
    Pynda said:
    I think you guys barking at the OP for rushing might be overlooking one pertinent fact. If your character can indeed have the power to complete a main story line when rushing, then I would consider the whole game design seriously flawed. A good open world RPG should absolutely require you to complete a LOT of minor content before you will even stand a remote chance of being able to finish.

But sadly, in my view there are more implications of most games being "console ports" these days than just accommodating for their technical shortcomings.
    Do we agree that Skyrim is a good open world RPG? Yeah, the record for skyrim main storyline is ... 40 minutes. Does that make Skyrim any less of OWRPG ? Heck no. 

Also I have more achievements than the OP. And I haven't looked into railroad/minuteman game ending. Also level 46, so that's that.

P.P: For reference: http://www.speedrun.com/skyrim
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    I'm not cut out for these types of games.  I played Skyrim for the main quest and had no interest in all of the side stuff.  That's why I wait to buy them years after release when they're so cheap.

Well in Skyrim´s defense, you seriously missed out on some good content! As in Skyrim a lot of the side mission chains were better than the Main story.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Having put in a few hundred hours each in previous Fallout games, a shorter game wouldn't hurt too much. With that said I'm about 95 hours in and might have completed 25% of the game.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams

Are we going to start again with ... "Who's AngryJoe", "Reviewer wannabe" and shit like that? 
  • PhlaccPhlacc Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Leon1e said:

Are we going to start again with ... "Who's AngryJoe", "Reviewer wannabe" and shit like that? 
    Oh god, IMO I think this guy is an idiot. He's good at what he sets out to do though, entertain the kids. His show isn't a "review show", his videos are short skits with nothing more than gimmicks. If you are in your late 20's or even older and watch his videos for actual reviews, then you are also an idiot.
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    i have never really got into fallout games but i bought this to keep me busy,i thought it would be a very long game but its ok i don`t expect anything really good anymore from  most developers.
    i know from soft will not disappoint in dark souls 3!
    to all the developers and movie makers don`t bitch if people pirate games and movies,cause you deliver crap for top $!
    Phlacc said:
    Leon1e said:

Oh god, IMO I think this guy is an idiot. He's good at what he sets out to do though, entertain the kids. His show isn't a "review show", his videos are short skits with nothing more than gimmicks. If you are in your late 20's or even older and watch his videos for actual reviews, then you are also an idiot.
    Everything he says is on top with little to no fanboism. His videos are entertaining regardless of age. Calling random people idiots make you an idiot. And an asshole. 
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I have friends with over 100 hours into it and are still having fun.  I guess it boils down to how you play and what you thought you were getting.  The previous Elder Scrolls and Fallout games could all be rushed through and completed in a relatively short time.  Its the extras and story you create that makes it worth purchasing.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    To me FO 4 doesn't look any better than playing H1Z1, 90% of the time just checking for loot.
    I need a lot more than a auto generated world with some props scattered around.Sure the world looks cool but it is a lot of emptiness with the odd zombie walking round or just stuck in some real bad AI as easy fodder.

Also a lot of issues with game saves not working.

IMO a lot of time consumed by people is looking for loot and then sifting through their inventory to get rid of half the junk they accumulated.

Why fix...get new one.

NICE ...a roll of adhesive !!!  ummmm  yeah pretty exciting.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Some one "beat" Fallout 3 in 18 minutes. Skyrim 40 minutes. Beat that. :tongue: 

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Pynda said:
    I think you guys barking at the OP for rushing might be overlooking one pertinent fact. If your character can indeed have the power to complete a main story line when rushing, then I would consider the whole game design seriously flawed. A good open world RPG should absolutely require you to complete a LOT of minor content before you will even stand a remote chance of being able to finish.

But sadly, in my view there are more implications of most games being "console ports" these days than just accommodating for their technical shortcomings.
    The problem is calling it an RPG in the first place. Its an open world shooter game with some RPG elements. you wander around killing stuff. Thats not an RPG.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Talonsin said:
    I have friends with over 100 hours into it and are still having fun.  I guess it boils down to how you play and what you thought you were getting.  The previous Elder Scrolls and Fallout games could all be rushed through and completed in a relatively short time.  Its the extras and story you create that makes it worth purchasing.
    Boils down to this really. Depends how you like to play a game, some like guided tours, others enjoy exploring up close discovering every little secret there is. This game is for the latter.
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Except for the fact that I didn't rush the game. Sure I didn't crawl through every square foot of the game but wow. I could probably finish the main story in a few hours if I honestly tried.
    That's true of the main story in any game like this. Winning the game isn't really the object of games like the latest iterations of Saint's Row, Skyrim and Fallout 4.

You can save yourself some money in the future by avoiding open world games entirely.
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Hariken said:

The problem is calling it an RPG in the first place. Its an open world shooter game with some RPG elements. you wander around killing stuff. Thats not an RPG.
    You don't do that in RPGs? News to me...
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    immodium said:
    Some one "beat" Fallout 3 in 18 minutes. Skyrim 40 minutes. Beat that. :tongue: 
    With or without the console?
    I can probably modify my game in advance. Use a bat file to set your enchanting at like 1000 then use the playerenchantobject command and give yourself some insanely enchanted armor. Set your health to something in the 5 figures and enchant your gloves to do some insane damage, give yourself all the fast travel markers.
    Yeah. Sure.
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

Pynda said:
    A good open world RPG should absolutely require you to complete a LOT of minor content before you will even stand a remote chance of being able to finish.

If the focus is on RPG, then possibly but not necessarily. I'd go as far as to say that is a rather masochistic view of RPGs.

If the focus is on open world, then "finishing the game" is often immaterial.
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Hariken said:
    Pynda said:

I must admit, I always thought open world shooter could be a type of RPG, as long as it had a story.  If the story aspect isn't important to you or isn't what you expect I guess you could call it more of just a shooter.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    I thought that vidoe was hilarious. best part was how he decided to farm instead of looking for his kid. because i did the same dam thing. he made alot of valid points that when comparing to the old game those paragraph conversations you used to have with npc's are gone to simple straight line answers that dont change the quest line what so ever.