Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CNN story about SW Battle Front

mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
Neat article.  

"The team from Digital Illusions (known as DICE) wanted to make a game that all "Star Wars" fans have dreamed of playing. "

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/18/tech/star-wars-battlefront-feat/index.html

I self identify as a monkey.

Comments

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    They failed. 

• BigRamboBigRambo Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Yeah, go read some of the real gaming critics about BattleFront,  it's average at best.   BattleFront might become the game fans have been dreaming for, but only once they've put another 80$ worth on DLC's with the pretext of being "expansions".   Can always count on EA on destroying any franchise.  I'm pretty sure DICE wanted another 6-12 months to perfect the game, but EA pushed the envelop and we now got a Destiny release day déja-vu.    I only hope The Force Awakens will be better, because with Disney you never know, they might lay a EA egg out of their butts.  At least I'm enjoying myself with the Star Wars Lego Sets.  :) 
  • mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Dilemma then.  I ordered my copy online and it is due to arrive in the morning.  The website says they accept unopened returned and will give a refund.  So, is it that bad?  I can afford to lose the money but if I won't stick with it, I'd rather spend it on something else or keep hold.

Metacritic isn't good but you get load of EA haters who haven't bought or played it, so is it really graphical great content poor?  I like Star Wars but I need a game underneath it all, even if it's just multiplayer.
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    mark2123 said:
    Dilemma then.  I ordered my copy online and it is due to arrive in the morning.  The website says they accept unopened returned and will give a refund.  So, is it that bad?  I can afford to lose the money but if I won't stick with it, I'd rather spend it on something else or keep hold.

Metacritic isn't good but you get load of EA haters who haven't bought or played it, so is it really graphical great content poor?  I like Star Wars but I need a game underneath it all, even if it's just multiplayer.
    I mean it's not like it's a subscription game. So you might not get your moneys worth out it right away. But its something you can pick up and put down. As much as you want until they stop patching it or they close the servers down.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• Tyr216Tyr216 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    The new Battlefront is shallow eye candy. Have fun paying full price for half a game and then paying again when the rest of the game is released as "DLC". EA doesn't fleece their sheep; they shave them.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I thought the game was "dull" until I got into it more on the free weekend.  I had a blast after that.  There is more strategy then people think and the game just felt like Star Wars to me.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    I freaking love Battlefront.

• TemperHSTemperHS Member UncommonPosts: 72
    So much negativity, you people are never happy.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    mark2123 said:

I have enjoyed playing it. I'd LOVE a story, I really would, but there are enough game modes to keep me happy. It's definitely a pick-up & play (for an hour or two) game that is fun, but I don't see anyone getting immersed in it. It's not the new KOTOR. Flying an X-wing and Tie Interceptor is actually one of my most gratifying flight sim experiences since XvT (at least on console). Controls on console are simplistic, but lend themselves well to the gamepad. I'm still itching to break out my old flight stick, but this will definitely do for now. Also, fighting an AT-AT is super-satisfying and just as frustrating as you might imagine it to be. That being said, it still manages to remain fun. I'd definitely buy it again, knowing what I'm getting now. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:
    mark2123 said:

I have enjoyed playing it. I'd LOVE a story, I really would, but there are enough game modes to keep me happy. It's definitely a pick-up & play (for an hour or two) game that is fun, but I don't see anyone getting immersed in it. It's not the new KOTOR. Flying an X-wing and Tie Interceptor is actually one of my most gratifying flight sim experiences since XvT (at least on console). Controls on console are simplistic, but lend themselves well to the gamepad. I'm still itching to break out my old flight stick, but this will definitely do for now. Also, fighting an AT-AT is super-satisfying and just as frustrating as you might imagine it to be. That being said, it still manages to remain fun. I'd definitely buy it again, knowing what I'm getting now. 
    Good points there.  I opened it, played the tutorials and had a quick multiplayer game and I think it fits the bill - an hour here and an hour there.  With anything you can get bored fast if you overdo it.  I'm playing 5-6 games in rotation right now - which ever one I fancy today, so to speak, and so this one is fine for that and it plays nice too.  Polished with hopefully more to come.

My current playlist is:

Fallout 4
    Metal Gear Solid 5
    Destiny
    Star Wars Battlefront
    Witcher 3
    Anno 2205

Can't believe there is no true MMO in there as that's been my life for 10 years, but I'm bored of them right now.

I do own Wildstar, ESO, GW2 and WoW, but no inclination to go there at this time.
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    TemperHS said:
    They're even less happy than usualy when they know EA is going to go about their "now normal" tactics.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    I can't wait to get this game.  If I think back to my childhood, this really would be the game I would dream of playing.

Watching streams on twitch makes it seem really fun.  Plus a dlc coming out for the new movie and the hype is REAL.

Definitely spending my christmas gift to myself on this game.
  • BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    edited November 2015
    anemo said:
    TemperHS said:
    They're even less happy than usualy when they know EA is going to go about their "now normal" tactics.
    Or when they play a game that is vastly inferior to its predecessors and had MUCH higher expectations from a beloved franchise.

Just for the Lawlz:
    bcomp.jpg
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    ^^^ Winner!
  • bohrium924bohrium924 Member UncommonPosts: 23
    I never post  and I mainly scroll through and enjoy the banter, but this topic right here needed some attention.

I was super excited for this title as SW:BF2 was amazing.  I did not expect it to be the exact same but I really expected alot of the great qualities to transfer over.  I really hope people see this and do not buy the title, at least not yet.

I ended up buying the $100.00 package and I'm sorely disappointed.  The combat is lack luster with a built in "aim assist".  There is slim to no armor customization which I figured would come with this title due to it being a common thing in shooters now.  The modes are hardly different enough to keep you engaged.

The weapons are blah.  There is a literal choice of 7-10 weapons and a handful of side items to choose from.  The weapons are AS IS, no choice of any customization ( scopes, muzzles, etc ).

If your interested in the game, WAIT.

Wait to see what these DLCs have in store.  

The above post with the comparisons sums the game up in a nice easy to read way
    Braindome said:
    anemo said:
    TemperHS said:
    Or when they play a game that is vastly inferior to its predecessors and had MUCH higher expectations from a beloved franchise.

Just for the Lawlz:
    bcomp.jpg
    Where in the comparison table does it mention sound and graphics, player movement/speed, connectivity and anything else that might just show what a biased graphic this is.

I've played 20 hours now on a few maps/modes (XBox One) and I love this game.  After a 3 hour session I have to force myself to go to bed, which was never me in games before.  It's slick, it's Star Wars and you really feel like you are there because of the realism.

So it doesn't have as many maps and so you will get more via DLC - I don't care, I will pay.  I will pay to be entertained and unlike many of the moaners, I know how to value entertainment.

In the UK, I paid £40 for this game and so far it means I've paid £2 per an to be entertained.  That's really good value in 2015.  I know I will play a lot more and this will bring it to well under £1 an hour.  Get real people.  Go to the cinema and watch a new film, and you are done, paying about £8 an hour to be entertained with no replayability of it.  I could list many more entertainment choices.  Drink a beer in less time for more cost.  If you are bored after 20 hours, then you didn't like this type of game in the first place and didn't do your homework.

The other thing I want to add is that people never seem to be satisfied.  If I was in charge of designing and releasing this game,  I would be pretty damn pleased with myself.  I also happen to remember gaming on the ZX Spectrum and the Commodore 64.  Perhaps the kids of today want everything now and everything to be perfectly fitting their desires.  Get real, manage your expectations and if £40 / $60 is a lot of money to you, then spend it wisely, do your homework and don't moan if you got it wrong.  I was willing to take a punt because it looked good and I can afford to - and I'm glad I did.
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Graphic are great, the sounds are great but the game itself are bland and boring, and the worst part is its a hackers heaven, aimbots and greenhacker in every match It's just stupid.

Only things that could salvage this mess are
    1: community run servers with admin power
    2: fix the horrid spawn system
    3:Galaxy conquest mode aka server campaign, you pick a side and duke it out across the galaxy, several battlezones can be active at once
    4:Clan system and ladder ranking.
    5: Increase player limit to 64.
    6: Massive banhammers across the boards.
    Maurgrim said:
    Graphic are great, the sounds are great but the game itself are bland and boring, and the worst part is its a hackers heaven, aimbots and greenhacker in every match It's just stupid.

Only things that could salvage this mess are
    1: community run servers with admin power
    2: fix the horrid spawn system
    3:Galaxy conquest mode aka server campaign, you pick a side and duke it out across the galaxy, several battlezones can be active at once
    4:Clan system and ladder ranking.
    5: Increase player limit to 64.
    6: Massive banhammers across the boards.
    Why does having 32 players on a side make it better than 20?  I just can't see the point, I mean, why 32 specifically?
  • SQTOSQTO Member UncommonPosts: 189
    I think if a game launches in 2015 it should have voice chat built in, it just seems lazy to me.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I don't have to look far to realize they are spewing nonsense and don't have a clue about the movies and gaming.

I don't remember EVER seeing a level number in a movie,please correct me if i am wrong.I don't EVER remember an instance in a movie,i don't ever remember seeing an y characters say "hey lets hit up that Boss fight for some epic loot".

Nope this is simply just marketing hype at it's best,they don't have a clue how to bring a game to life.

I saw the very first Star Wars in the back of a station wagon at the drive in,i was a fan of the movie series before most of these marketing people were born.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469
    DLC is the development plague of the future. Let the milking begin.
    -Chuckles
  • jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Flying made me motion sick... They did something right :)

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Needs single player...

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Braindome said:
    anemo said:
    TemperHS said:

Just for the Lawlz:
    bcomp.jpg
    Most of this info is pretty outdated.  Number of heroes is 6 so far.   More than one mode etc.  SW battlefront had more technically but I am having more fun playing this than I did that version at the time.

Will EA mess it up. . likely.  Will they charge for things that should be free updates. . likely.  I do enjoy the game though. . but it helps that  I paid $42 for it or something close to that.  

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Why are you complaining? You folks bought it. the industry has been selling less for more for years now, decades, and you folks keep snatching them up like they might run out.

If you sell five items for $50 and one day you give it a shot and sell 3 items for $80 and the crowd at your register doesn't slack at all, why go back? In fact, why not make it 1 item for $200? or $5000? Or better yet split up 1 item into fractions called DLC and sell them all for $100 because they are 'collector's items'?

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.