Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An interesting paralel content vs subscriptions

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
seems the fewer content Blizzrd puts in their expansion packs, the harder subscriptions drop....

Burning Crusade...  16 dungeons, 7 raids
wot Lich King... 16 dungeons, 9 raids
Cataclysm ... 14 dungeons, 6 raids
Pandaria ... 9 dungeons, 5 raids
Draenor ... 8 dungeons, 3 raids (and no more comming before Legion release)

its quite obvious to me why people are leaving, they just dont want to grind the same content for 2 years.. 

Healthy content means a new outdoor zone, a new raid and a new dungeon every 3 to 4 months...  And if any company could pay for that, it would have been blizzrd with 10M paying players..

now just look where greed got them.   Its a paralel, the less comtent, the fewer players you get...   

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Yes.

Bobby Koteck (AB CEO) essentially alluded to this when he spoke about how much content Blizzard has ......... the unspoken element being: for new players. <br><br>

So "Blizzard" basically changed tack from "focusing on existing players" to "focusing on attracting new players" in e.g. new markets.  Making a calculation as to how little content they could get away  with. Can't help thinking they got the calc. wrong with WoD.
  • c0796c0796 Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Heh, they wouldn't be the first company to do that kind of thing. But, is it Blizzard or Activision?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited November 2015
    I would expect ANY developer to provide BOTH new player and vet player experience otherwise it is a half ass effort.

Blizzard has been doing this from day 1,even if you think their first two were good,instances take the least amount of effort so they have been aiming at cheap from day 1.Cheap models,cheap graphics,cheap game engine,cheap content, need i say more,it all adds up to cheap.

Sad reality is they usually and have been getting away with it.I feel most developers become complacent about their fanbase and begin to feel they can sell dirt to a desert nomad.I have seen this same thing in my years in FFXI and the release of FFXIV and in EQ>EQ2 as well as other games.

I think a lot of it has to do with inside corporate greed.The bigshots within are all about large salaries and bonuses,they need to see big profits and if it means taking a risk on less money going out,they are willing to risk it.I see it happening in Hearthstone right now,they recently had their laziest cheapest expansion 45 cards is laughable,a new mechanic with prolly only 10 cards utilizing that mechanic all because they have been making several million a month,so they figure lets promote another wave of money with another cheap effort.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    You've got it all wrong... it's not the amount of content that drives them away, it's the fact that they are able to consume it so damn quickly.  They'd have zero problem grinding the same damn place 2 years straight if it took them 2 years to complete them.  But today's players don't care to spend more than 5 minutes doing anything... thus why bother creating content to last more than 5 minutes?  

Blizzard also sells more than one product... isn't it interesting how the hiatus begins right as their new product is to be released.  Bored with WoW, no problem, come play Overwatch!  When you're bored with that, Legion will be ready.  And the cycle repeats itself.

If they gave you a new dungeon, you have to have a reason to run it.  If you outgear it, you won't bother with it.  If the gear is better than the top tier raid, you won't bother raiding and just do the dungeon.  Once you've decked your toon out.  You won't bother with either. 

Has been true since the beginning of WoW... only back then, it actually took time to complete the content... not anymore.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846
    Legion will launch with 10 dungeons and a couple raids.

But will that cause subscriptions to shoot back up to 10 million?

Of course not, WoW is too old at this point to significantly increase subscribers.

Legion could launch with 10 new zones, 20 dungeons, a dozen raids, 5 new classes and 3 new races but still lose subscribers after the first couple months.

People coming back for the new content would just get distracted by the new shiny like Black Desert, play that for a couple months then move on again to the something newer and shinier.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    gervaise1 said:
    Yes.

Bobby Koteck (AB CEO) essentially alluded to this when he spoke about how much content Blizzard has ......... the unspoken element being: for new players. <br><br>

So "Blizzard" basically changed tack from "focusing on existing players" to "focusing on attracting new players" in e.g. new markets.  Making a calculation as to how little content they could get away  with. Can't help thinking they got the calc. wrong with WoD.

Sounds like taking the existing players for granted.  Heck, they will always be here......
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Xiaoki said:
    Legion will launch with 10 dungeons and a couple raids.

But will that cause subscriptions to shoot back up to 10 million?

Of course not, WoW is too old at this point to significantly increase subscribers.

Legion could launch with 10 new zones, 20 dungeons, a dozen raids, 5 new classes and 3 new races but still lose subscribers after the first couple months.

People coming back for the new content would just get distracted by the new shiny like Black Desert, play that for a couple months then move on again to the something newer and shinier.
    I hate the new Azeroth and unless they return to that, I will not return.

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Unless people take a stand and don't buy it, Blizzard will not bother with the client base.

Dont buy Legions and send Blizzard an almighty message telling them that the subs you are paying are totally worthless and the content is a joke.  I can't believe people still pay to play this - unless you take a stand, there is nothing to complain about.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    mark2123 said:
    Unless people take a stand and don't buy it, Blizzard will not bother with the client base.

Dont buy Legions and send Blizzard an almighty message telling them that the subs you are paying are totally worthless and the content is a joke.  I can't believe people still pay to play this - unless you take a stand, there is nothing to complain about.
    And why would they listen to these threads...

they are also killing classes people love to play and totally changing them..  And they dont care if players like it or not...  Its like stealing the identity of your characters...  You just dont suddenly totally change something in a game... Didnt they learn anything from SWG, because thats what they are currently doing to some classes..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

They won't listen to any threads, they will only listen if nobody buys, but I guess there are too many diehards who couldn't care less how badly Blizzard treats them.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    mark2123 said:

they are also killing classes people love to play and totally changing them..  And they dont care if players like it or not...  Its like stealing the identity of your characters...  You just dont suddenly totally change something in a game... Didnt they learn anything from SWG, because thats what they are currently doing to some classes..
    The only way to speak is with your wallet, it's the only language they understand.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

mark2123 said:

My favorite character in vanilla was combat dagger rogue, that was killed off imo.  They have really homogenized the classes to an extent.  DPS are interchangeable for example.  It make for a bland game for me.

What bothers me in the forums is people who don't like a lot of skills.  Perhaps it is due to console kiddies, but limiting characters to 10 skills feels like a disservice to the players and the game.  I am more skills, a lot more skills.  But since everything is interchangeable, so are the skills so  the devs might as well remove 'extra' skills.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Pepeq said:
    You've got it all wrong... it's not the amount of content that drives them away, it's the fact that they are able to consume it so damn quickly.  They'd have zero problem grinding the same damn place 2 years straight if it took them 2 years to complete them.  But today's players don't care to spend more than 5 minutes doing anything... thus why bother creating content to last more than 5 minutes?  

Blizzard also sells more than one product... isn't it interesting how the hiatus begins right as their new product is to be released.  Bored with WoW, no problem, come play Overwatch!  When you're bored with that, Legion will be ready.  And the cycle repeats itself.

If they gave you a new dungeon, you have to have a reason to run it.  If you outgear it, you won't bother with it.  If the gear is better than the top tier raid, you won't bother raiding and just do the dungeon.  Once you've decked your toon out.  You won't bother with either. 

Has been true since the beginning of WoW... only back then, it actually took time to complete the content... not anymore.
    DEVs seems to think so, yes but I am not so sure the majority of players really think all content should be run through in 5 minutes. And lets be honest, players who believe so should probably play something else than a MMO (and if they want something Blizzard own they can go for Candycrush).

Too quick content and subscriptions just ain't smart. Particularly when you get stuck in raiding the same few instances for 2 years once you completed the open world and regular group content.

If there were an AI that could almost instantly complete new content you could probably have content that fast but now you need too balance things, a new zone should take the players some weeks to clear but not some months and an expansion do need some larger zones.

There will always be some people crying that the content is too grindy, have a look about the mastery points in GW2:Hot for example, but that does not mean the majority of the players actually feel that way. And I am not sure all players who whine really know exactly what they want either.
  • GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    edited November 2015
    mark2123 said:

They . Don't . Care

Just like a sizable portion of Society to be quite frank. Blizzard Employees are a part of current society after all, and if you look outside of MMOs you will see a general "I don't give a #$%^" attitude almost everywhere no matter what industry or service or sport or hobby you look at.

Signs of the times.

About original topic... Something else to consider.... look at when Sub numbers dropped, when content became "lean", and also look at when Blizzard started the "play until lvl 20" feature.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    edited November 2015
    It's not just dungeons and raids either.  Blizzard was releasing 3-4 content patches for each expansion that included new quests, events, etc.  They stopped doing this after MoP though, and their latest big patch was Siege of Orgrimmar, then it took them around 18 months to release WoD.  Then, WoD releases and there's only one big patch.

And the saddest thing is, they boast that they grew their team larger than ever, and still released a half-assed expansion.

This video pretty much explains what went wrong with WoD, and Blizzard, as a whole.

Watched the whole video, thanks for posting it. It's exactly as I had been seeing Warcraft too and why they will really have to pull their fingers out and invest in the game to get me back. You can probably say I'm representative of many other disillusioned WoW fans.